PDA

View Full Version : A.B. Haines Electric AKA Mr. Kilowatt

Ron Hill
05-30-2017, 07:19 PM
Arnie Haines owned an electric company in Memphis, Tennessee. He also owned a boat shop. He won his share of races and used a gravel pit for boat races, called Kilowatt Marine Stadium.

My grand father lived in Imboden, Arkansas. I only knew my grandfather from 1952-1969 but we visited often in those years. In 2002, it think, 25 years after Elvis's death we visited Graceland. On our way back to California we went through Imboden. I stopped at my grand father's house and knocked on the door. A gentleman came to the door. I told him my grandfather owned that house til 1969. He said, well, I work A.B. Haines in Memphis, then retire here in Imboden. I told him we'd stop at my grandpa's on the way to boat races.

Interesting the gentleman said, "I worked for A.B. Haines and sold boats for him and went to the races with him. In fact, I have picture of me trying to sell Elvis a boat here on the wall." I thought it was very cool to have someone living in my grandpa's house who like boats and boat racing