PDA

View Full Version : No serial# on sst120 powerhead?

NordicViking
10-08-2017, 06:45 AM
I have a SST120 powerhead that I cannot find any serial# on...

Have been asked to locate the "welsh plug" and send numbers on this to Mercury to get build specs, but I cannot locate this plug eigther :confused:

I know where the serial# should be but there are only a large "175" engraving as seen on the pic:

In the buttom of same side of the block, these numbers are shown:

No numbers on top:

Any assistance is highly appreciated!

Mike Wienandt
10-08-2017, 04:52 PM
I have a SST120 powerhead that I cannot find any serial# on...

Have been asked to locate the "welsh plug" and send numbers on this to Mercury to get build specs, but I cannot locate this plug eigther :confused:

I know where the serial# should be but there are only a large "175" engraving as seen on the pic:

In the buttom of same side of the block, these numbers are shown:

No numbers on top:

Any assistance is highly appreciated!

The 7 18 03 is the date the engine was made. The S/n is 037625

NordicViking
10-08-2017, 11:59 PM
Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for your reply!

I also assumed this at first but I get no hits when searching for parts on this S/N but I might put it wrong?

Have tried to ad "0D" so 0D037625 but this turns up as a Merc/Mariner 4 cyl 100/115hp...

Thanks,
Lars

Mike Wienandt
10-09-2017, 08:43 PM
Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for your reply!

I also assumed this at first but I get no hits when searching for parts on this S/N but I might put it wrong?

Have tried to ad "0D" so 0D037625 but this turns up as a Merc/Mariner 4 cyl 100/115hp...

Thanks,
Lars

No OD, Merc racing did not use letters when they issued S/n that I know of. The Mercury Racing outboards were never followed very good in the EPC. You can only look up parts by model, it's not very good. Most race engines were not registered cause there was no warranty. So tracking is tuff. There are many engines with no s/n. They do have block date code though. This means it is a replacement block.
Mike

NordicViking
10-09-2017, 11:21 PM
No OD, Merc racing did not use letters when they issued S/n that I know of. The Mercury Racing outboards were never followed very good in the EPC. You can only look up parts by model, it's not very good. Most race engines were not registered cause there was no warranty. So tracking is tuff. There are many engines with no s/n. They do have block date code though. This means it is a replacement block.
Mike

Again thank you very much for the information!
This clears everything up for me :)
Thanks,
Lars