PDA

View Full Version : Help with OMC test facility

switzerbullet
11-13-2005, 08:27 PM
I have a 67 gold and white Switzer Shooting Star that came from an OMC test site. Bruce Summers saw the boat and thought the transom holes matched the OMC 200 hp motor they came out with. The bill of sale is signed by Jack Leek for OMC engineering. Does anyone know how I can get any info on this boat? Some test data or pictures would really be great.
Steve

Ted March
11-13-2005, 09:05 PM
Bob Switzer

switzercraft@msn.com

Good luck

whaledog
11-13-2005, 10:27 PM
let me know if you still need help .i can talk to an old omc factory head.

Ron Hill
11-14-2005, 11:27 AM
I use to talk,talk and talk..but no one listened!!!!

I'd bet that was a Switzer the Chuck Kalb drove in Sport I about 1967.....Seems I recall him running that boat...when I ran Sport I with a DeSilva...

racnbns
11-14-2005, 01:05 PM
I use to talk,talk and talk..but no one listened!!!!

I'd bet that was a Switzer the Chuck Kalb drove in Sport I about 1967.....Seems I recall him running that boat...when I ran Sport I with a DeSilva...

That's the one! We were at the annual antique otbd meet at Tomahawk, Wis. and there it was. It looked great. Chuck ran it at a bunch of races and Rich McKinley set a straightaway record with it at Toano Va. about 66or67. He upped the record 2 or 3 times. Each run he would slide lower in the seat. On the last run you could only see the top half of his helmet. As far as any paper work at the test center I doubt if there was any. They might have had a bill of sale when bought or sold but the guy I talked with had that I think. Was that you Switzer Bullet?

Bruce Summers
V-71

Ted March
11-14-2005, 02:23 PM
I was in Toano, VA that weekend in 1967.

Chuck Kalb was involved with two boats that day.

He drove a 1967 Allsion 16' V Bottom (new model in 1967) with a Jonhson GT 115 to a FI kilo record of 66.458. Boat # I-37. Paul Kalb was listed as the owner of the boat.

They also had a fiberglass Switzer Shooting Star (year unknown to me) with a Johnson GT 115 which set the SI Kilo record at 77.025. Richard McKinley was listed as the driver with Chuck Kalb being the owner. Boat #I-33.

I ran a 1967 Allison 16' V Bottom (same as Chuck's) with an 800 DR in FH and set the FH kilo record at 54.393. Used the same combination to raise the record to to 56.38 in 1968.

All were recognized as UIM records.

switzerbullet
11-14-2005, 02:44 PM
That's the boat I talked to you about at the boat show. I was hoping to find an old picture or a little information on it. I just came up with an early 70's merc 150 so it will be in the water this spring.
Steve

switzerbullet
11-14-2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks Ted
The boat still has I-33 on its side. I wonder what was the biggest motor they put on it? Ted, when you have time could you e-mail that page to me? It doesnt print well off the site. Thanks
switzerbullet@aol.com

racnbns
11-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Chuck Kalb was involved with two boats that day.

He drove a 1967 Allsion 16' V Bottom (new model in 1967) with a Jonhson GT 115 to a FI kilo record of 66.458. Boat # I-37 listed as being owned by Paul Kalb.

They also had a fiberglass Switzer Shooting Star (year unknown) with a Johnson GT 115 which set the SI Kilo record at 77.025. Richard McKinley was listed as the driver with Chuck Kalb being the owner. Boat #I-33.

I ran a 1967 Allison 16' V Bottom (same as Chuck's) with an 800 DR in FH and set the FH kilo record at 54.393. Used the same combo to raise the record to to 56.38 in 1968.

All were recognized as UIM records.

Ted:
Chuck Kalb was involved with 3 boats. Joe Haby was supposed to run the twin engine JJ class[?] but had previous commitments so he gave Chuck a quickie course in controling a twin engine pad boat,no easy task [without counter rotating engines]. The first few runs Chuck made it chine walk so bad the referee was going to black flag him. Paul Kalb managed to get the ref. to let him try again and by about the third run he kept her on the water and set a record [2 lines below your last yellow hilite]. Joe was a master with the twins and could mak'em go straight as an arrow. I saw Joe at a previous[1 before last] OMC reunion.

Bruce Summers
V-71

Mark75H
11-14-2005, 07:02 PM
Thanks Ted
The boat still has I-33 on its side. I wonder what was the biggest motor they put on it? Ted, when you have time could you e-mail that page to me? It doesnt print well off the site. Thanks
switzerbullet@aol.com

Try these versions:

The top one is easy to read, the bottom one will fit on a printed page better

I'm going to delete or massively resize them in a few days, so download now! :)

Ted March
11-14-2005, 09:33 PM
And Bruce, thanks for jogging my memory.

I knew Joe at the time. He ran JJ and I ran a lower class. I'm sure he wouldn't even remember my name. And I'm sure I would never recognize him, but I sure remember him.

After we set the FH record, we put the J motor (110) on to try for the FJ record. Ran slower than the H motor. I'm on the ramp pulling my zero hair out and Beale Tilton of E & T (those E & T's were running that day) was standing on the dock and wants to know what's going on. I tell him I got J boat that runs slower than an H. He says "Did you think about checking the plugs?" I told him they were new and he says "so?"

We changed the plugs and all of a sudden it became a J. Just goes to show you that new does not guarantee anything. We went out and set the record in FJ........ We thought. We made one pass and got right on it. We made the second run and before we could make the return pass, another boat was coming down the course staight at me. The down course officials would not let me go back on the course to make my return run until the other boat made his. OK, I made my return pass and had the fastest FJ of the day. I had one more run (only made two) and passed on that because I had the record. Didn't think I could run any faster and everyone else in the class was finished.

We left Toano thinking we had the FH record and the FJ record, only to find out the next day that our FJ record was disallowed because the APBA rule book stated that the return run must be made within five minutes. Since the offficials allowed another boat to make a 2 way pass before I was allowed to make my return run, the five minute rule as it applied to me was exceeded.

When they reviewed the paperwork at the end of the day my FJ record was disallowed. And my protests were disallowed as well.

Bob Jones was the referee.

Being a pretty happy guy, after I thought I had the FJ record, Steve Stepp was running for SJ in a Critchfiel V Bottom. There were no really legitimate SJ's there that day. He wasn't quite over the record. We were talking and I offered him the prop I "THOUGHT" I set the FJ record with. He ran it and set the SJ record. A 14 X 24 Merc "Elephant Ear". Still have it. His record is on the above page as well.

All in all, quite a weekend.

Ron Hill
11-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Who was that guy who had the CU and DU records???? 64.284 with a Mark 30-H stock???

Joe Habay was an outstasnding Vee Hull driver...Last saw him at a PROP TOUR Race in Bay City, 1997...

Ron Hill
01-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Got these pictures from Bruce Summers...

Ted March
01-09-2006, 08:07 PM
You betcha!!!

switzerbullet
02-19-2006, 02:35 PM
I just found several books of boats from the late 60's to early 70's that Mercury tested motors on. They are one page photos with specs. I'm going to try posting one for my shooting star. If you want one posted of your boat I'll look and see if its in there.

hydroc888
02-19-2006, 05:17 PM
If you have got the time I am sure that all of us would like to see all the pictures , not just certain ones. I have never seen the books you are talking about and I grew up with most of the boats that will be in there for sure.
Thanks.

Mark75H
02-19-2006, 05:28 PM
There are hundreds (maybe thousands) of pages in the Boathouse Bulletin archive. It would take weeks of full time work to scan and post them all.

It would be better just to ask for particular boat models. :)

switzerbullet
02-19-2006, 10:15 PM
I have 3 books, 3+ inches each. Probably 1000 pages. There are many models, some are the same with different motor sizes that they tried. I had trouble re-sizing to get them to post. When I figure it out I will try and post some of the cool ones. These probably only cover 6 or 7 years!

David Weaver
02-20-2006, 04:14 AM
I grew up in Williamsburg, VA (really Jamestown) and we only lived 20 minutes from the Toano course (shorter as the crow flies). It was also about a 30 minute boat ride. I would have been almost 2 in 1967. I remember going to watch the kilo's for many years.

Paul Angle owned a marina in town and had number of OPC boats. Bobby Drewery drove for Paul. Bobby Jones probably was the referee for the races. Bobby still lives only a few miles from my parents and he has attended DePue as a spectator many times in the past several years.

When I was in graduate school, I had a girl friend who rented a house on the stretch of water where they ran the kilo's. I walked down to the marinia one morning to grab breakfast and I talked to the owner. We discussed boat racing in the day and he said that every once in a while Dick O'Dea would stop by the site.

We were sunning and fishing one day when I heard an unmistakable sound rolling up the river. But there was just no way. Than around the bend came a Jersey Speed Skiff on a pleasure ride!

That is a beautiful stretch of water and an area where time has largely stood still.

NERSTROM
02-20-2006, 03:35 PM
I recall a Shooting Star at the Waukegan test center which matched your colors. At the time (1974-1976) I was project engineer for the OMC 200 V6 and we installed it on the Shooting Star to check blow out speed for the gearcase and reaction speed of the trim system. The boat had been one of Jack Leek's race team boats. The boat was fast but not a very stable test platform. We ran it a few times on Lake Michigan in front of the plant but that was about it. We ran the boat just for the thrills until Jack wanted it back. I don't remember what Jack did with the boat after that.

switzerbullet
02-20-2006, 06:18 PM
This is probably the boat. It was sold to Mr. Merlin Boll on June 9 1976 by Jack Leek. I have been told it has the 200 bolt pattern in the transom. Was any test data or photographs ever saved?

NERSTROM
02-21-2006, 06:35 AM
I don't recall any pictures being taken and I doubt there would be any data. It was just another boat we could test the new engine on. We never gave any thought that 30 years later someone would be interested. All we could think about was getting the next new product into production. If you knew how many boats we scrapped after they crashed at Parker and Havasu you would cry. Not worth the time to tow them back to Illinois. With the current interest in restoring vintage race boats I am glad that some people saved their old equipment.

Ron Hill
02-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Men aren't supposed to cry, but sometimes we do....I was thinking how I threw away, at the Orange County dump, the DeSilva wing that Freddy and I lead Parker with...(first outboard to ever lead a lap a Parker...we got for laps of lap money of $50 per lap, like Indy in the old days...)..
sent you a motor today. May box up the steering bar, I BOUGHT, and he throttle assembly...When you get her a prt, let me know what you need, as I have lost of 15 parts....

The old boats I'd love to see are the HIGH RIDER Molinari's that Renato and Scotti ran in Paris, France, about 1968-69.... Those boats were built like violins, and dove easier that a car...Push the up bottom up they went and they more you pushed up the faster you went, until you went on your ***....They would never HOOK in the corners, they just would turn as hard as you wanted them to turn...and you could get over four foot waves at WOT....

Jim, tell us some stories about Freddy Hauenstein, I'm sure you've got some!!!!

TomAprilsSwitzers
11-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Bob Switzer

switzercraft@msn.com

Good luck

Bob Switzer's new email address is Switzercraft@comcast.net Hope this helps and spread the word there is a Switzer Reunion every year. In 2008 it will be on Saturday July 26 at THE BIG BASIN MARINA in Channahon Illinois. Starts at 10am, bring a picnic basket or eat at the Marina Grill.
We had 27 boats show up in 2007 and 5 Muscle Cars were on display(Old Hot Rods are welcome too). 25 of the boats were Switzers and 5 of them were wooden. Bob & Carol Switzer have been to the last 4 Reunion Regattas and they plan on joining us in 2008. Also in attendance the last 3 years was Jack Lewis of Vampire Boats, some of his boats are still raced in Formula V in the OPC classes.
Harold Simberger,who's son races the Champ Boat Series has been to the last 2 also. So come one and come all, and no matter what kind of boat you have bring her down,shine her up, make up a poster and show her off....Tom Arambasich www.freewebs.com/switzercraftreunionregattas :D:D:)

Skoontz
11-16-2007, 11:47 AM
If that Playboy has/had a Evinrude 100-S on it, I know whose it is/was!

The Super Sport is amazing, and the Baby Bullet with the Johnson? And race numbers....Ain't never seen one race without a green and or green and gold motor...Very cool representations of in my oopinion, the best performace boat company in the world. I might be a bit prejudiced, we were Switzer dealers and I've known Bobby since i was in diapers, but, I'm loyal!

Tom, please keep us updated on the marina who is gunna pop the molds from the SS, GL-21 and 175 models.....

With respect to the Shooting Star, don't quote me, but I thought John Wayne Janaky still had his white shooting start/235V-6 that he set a 105 MPH kilo with, If he does, you can hook up with him at DAH propellers, he took over the master guru Don Henrich.

switzerbullet
11-18-2007, 01:30 PM
I think that picture is of the Holiday. The Playboy has a Shooting Star Deck and the Holiday hull.

switzerbullet
11-18-2007, 01:42 PM
The Shooting Star has a 1500 XS for next year.

march3stv
11-18-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm Ted's son and I live in Riverwalk right by the Broken Oar. Do you live south of 176 on the west side of the river? I was driving around by car in that area this summer after the floods looking at the water damage (the river was closed so nothing better to do) and about two blocks off the river I see this gold Shooting Star setting in the driveway. I stopped and checked it out but no one came out. When I got home I called my dad and told him about it. Is this you?

Skoontz
11-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Scott:

My wife's niece has worked at Broken Oar forever! Are you down around where ahat was called Burtains Bridge Marine? I think it's called something like Times of Old now, all woodies in and around there....

switzerbullet
11-18-2007, 04:20 PM
If the driveway and front yard looks like a used boat lot and a garage sale gone bad, its me. I hope you didnt take any pictures.

march3stv
11-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Skoontz: Yes, I'm the next bridge south of there...what's your wife's niece name? - I probably know her.:cool:

Steve - No worries - no pics were taken but I found the your toys intresting...I didn't see the Allison on that day. I don't know if you've seen me on the river in the red STV (see link below) or red on white Donzi 22 Classic...hope to see you on the river next year.:D

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1366

Skoontz
11-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Well, she is drop dead gorgeous, looks just like my wife except 7 years my wifes younger, blonde hair...Kelly is her name. Do you remember the Bill and Howie days of Burton's Bridge Marine? The old crowd from Switzercraft, Larry, Jack, Dave all worked there. The next bridge south was Rawson Bridge I beleive....I remember that thing when it was only one lane. We used to take it to Papa Joes and get real pizza burgers....

Bill Gohr
11-20-2007, 05:43 AM
How come that thing hasn't been on the water with the XS on it, it looked much better when we set the 1500 on it.

I saw the OMC bolt pattern on it and was kinda suprised. Then Bullet pulls out a bill of sale signed by Leek.

I asked Ralph Kozan about it, (who know more about Stars from the day) he said that boat was at the Chicago boat show when it was new, 67 or 68', it had a GT115 on it. OMC wanted him to race it trying to get him away from Merc, he couldn't jump the fence. You need to get that thing on the water, I'll get Ralph to come over he'll feel much better seeing the XS on it.

TomAprilsSwitzers
12-27-2007, 12:19 AM
:D:DThat's a Playboy,thes deck is a Shooting Star Deck not a Holiday...I have some pictures of my New Playboy that just came out of the mold on my site you guys should check it out. www.freewebs.com/switzercraftreunionregattas/ ....Tom Arambasich:D;):)

TomAprilsSwitzers
02-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Bob Switzer

switzercraft@msn.com

Good luck

Hi guys. If anyone needs to get a hold of Bob Switzer his new email address is switzercraft@comcast.net :D:) And if anyone is interesyed our next Switzercraft Reunion Regatta will be on Saturday July 26th 2008 at THE BIG BASIN MARINA in Channahon Illinois. For more info contact me at tlord91154@comcast.net thanks, Tom Arambasich www.freewebs.com/switzercraftreunionregattas/ :D:):o:cool: