PDA

View Full Version : more region 2 stuff

aojesus
11-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Here are a few pictures from region 2.
#1)Dave Harkness came out of retirement in the mid 90's to give my racecraft a ride in "Classic" BSR. Mike Mosier and Scott Reed are in the background.
#2)Me and Mike Noonan at Carelton Place Ont., with our ASH stuff. Jim Noonan is holding Mike's boat, and Dale Elliott is between us.
#3)Scott Reed is the young feller in the blue shirt and black hair. In the background is Pete Mellon's 98-N "Smoke on Water" and Dave Jacox's 97-N "Darlin' Deed". Dad is putting a throttle in my JSH.
#4)This is a boat Ron either built or rebuilt in high school. I used it as an ASR with the number #45. This picture is of Ron using a 25SS on it at a "Harkness Fest" in the early 80's. There is a funny history behind this boat but Ron would have to tell it.

Sorry for the picture quality.

RussW

STU Racing
11-21-2005, 10:08 PM
great to see these pictures. i was feeling a bit left out early because of the lack of photos from region 2 but now i see a lot of familiar faces.

17W
11-22-2005, 06:37 AM
1-Dad w/his recently aquired 25SS (The Step-mother or what ever she was, was supposed to race it but my ASR rig was too fast for her)
2-Dad's 20SSR rig

17W
11-22-2005, 06:53 AM
Couple of pics of my JSR Austin rig.
1-Adjusting carb- Me, Dad, Pete Forcier & sons Scott & Jason.
2-Dad & I getting ready for heat 1 JSR.

17W
11-22-2005, 06:56 AM
Here are a few pictures from region 2.
#1)Dave Harkness came out of retirement in the mid 90's to give my racecraft a ride in "Classic" BSR. Mike Mosier and Scott Reed are in the background.
#2)Me and Mike Noonan at Carelton Place Ont., with our ASH stuff. Jim Noonan is holding Mike's boat, and Dale Elliott is between us.
#3)Scott Reed is the young feller in the blue shirt and black hair. In the background is Pete Mellon's 98-N "Smoke on Water" and Dave Jacox's 97-N "Darlin' Deed". Dad is putting a throttle in my JSH.
#4)This is a boat Ron either built or rebuilt in high school. I used it as an ASR with the number #45. This picture is of Ron using a 25SS on it at a "Harkness Fest" in the early 80's. There is a funny history behind this boat but Ron would have to tell it.

Sorry for the picture quality.

RussW Russ how many Yomatos did your Dad sell as a dealer? By chance did you guys put any of them on storage during the lack of racing in the Northeast in the late 80s?

17W
11-22-2005, 08:56 AM
Me & my ASR rig...years ago I had torn my wicked step-mothers face out of the pic.

Joe Silvestri 36-S
11-22-2005, 09:03 AM
Brent,

How old were you there? You were racing ASR then. Wow, you must have just made the minimum age. Very cool.

The old pics of the 60J sure brings back memories. Just recently, at our TRORA fall Banquet, I saw myself racing JSR, that was pretty cool as I'd never seen myself racing J on video.

20ssR, I'd love for that class to come back, I'd race it in a heartbeat.

Keep posting the old pics, I love them. :D

17W
11-22-2005, 09:56 AM
I was 12, I got too heavy to race J any longer. I have to locate some more pics. I think Dad has more somewhere.

I to would get into 20SSR in a heartbeat....No sidefins! I would love to find my Dad's old rig. It went to Michigan I believe back in 1986 or so.

Tell Sara I Said, "Hey"

STU Racing
11-22-2005, 04:54 PM
here's some more from my father's collection. i might be able to add some more sunday but enjoy these until then

17W
11-22-2005, 05:39 PM
here's some more from my father's collection. i might be able to add some more sunday but enjoy these until then
#1- I belief this is crazy John McManus (69-CE)
#3- Waddington, N.Y. pits?

aojesus
11-22-2005, 05:44 PM
Russ how many Yomatos did your Dad sell as a dealer? By chance did you guys put any of them on storage during the lack of racing in the Northeast in the late 80s?

Brent,
When Dad's health got really bad in the early 80's we got rid of most of the stuff. We still have all of the Merc stuff, but as far as yamato stuff we just have some parts packed away. Dad sold a lot of 80's. He sold them at cost plus shipping just to help the sport.

Spencer,
Those are some more great pictures! Bill Giles and the Cookie Munchers!
Whenever the Cookie Munchers and Waddington Heavies showed up it was great racing! I like the picture of the butterfly wearing the McManus costume too.

RussW

aojesus
11-22-2005, 06:18 PM
Here are a couple more.

Brent, I looked through some old paperwork and found that Dad sold brand new Yamato 80s for $467.50 U.S. Than was about 25 years ago.

RussW

STU Racing
11-22-2005, 07:57 PM
i don't recognize the first pic but the second has john and ross webster over john's boat.
as for the photos i posted earlier, the first one is john macmanus with his "angel wings", second one i think is at silver lake, the third is the pits at crystal lake, the fourth is bill giles and his hot rod, and the last two are the pits at whitney point (most likely '82 or '83)

17W
11-22-2005, 08:47 PM
Brent,
When Dad's health got really bad in the early 80's we got rid of most of the stuff. We still have all of the Merc stuff, but as far as yamato stuff we just have some parts packed away. Dad sold a lot of 80's. He sold them at cost plus shipping just to help the sport.

Spencer,
Those are some more great pictures! Bill Giles and the Cookie Munchers!
Whenever the Cookie Munchers and Waddington Heavies showed up it was great racing! I like the picture of the butterfly wearing the McManus costume too.

RussW
Russ- Would be real curious to what you guys have packed away....by the way do you remember sleeping on your trailer in Cardinal...the things we did when we were young.

17W
11-23-2005, 08:42 AM
Another shot of myself & my ASR.

aojesus
11-23-2005, 03:03 PM
31-CE is the great Canadian Alan MacKenzie. The hydro next to it is Kevin Fitzgeralds.

Cardinal was a great place to race as long as the freighters were not around.:eek: The thing I remember most about Cardinal was that wierd smell.
It smelled like burnt peanut butter. I spent many night sleeping on that old trailer. Mom and Dad had brought a couple of cases of soft drink the weekend we stayed on the trailer at Cardinal. I think I matched you bottle for bottle!
Were you there the night a young couple used the porta-john as a love lounge? They were making so much noise that a bunch of us couldn't sleep so we tipped the porta-john over on it's door and trapped them inside!:D Boy were they mad! Bob Kotar and his crew also wore tuxedos with his number spray painted on the back to the drivers meeting.

RussW

aojesus
11-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Found a couple more.

1)Carelton Place ASR. My #45, Mike Noonan #13.

2)Doug Reed in a Rinker.

RussW

Jeff Lytle
11-24-2005, 04:31 AM
That smell was from the starch plant at the end of the 2nd turn.

Master Oil Racing Team
11-24-2005, 07:15 AM
.....these newer styles of boats have made duct tape obsolete;) QUACK QUACK:D

crankbearing
11-27-2005, 05:18 AM
Hey Ronny,

We are moving our race this year from Almonte and back to Carleton Place I think the last race there was 79. Jeff?? Help me here. I would love to put together a collage (spelling) to have on display for this race in May.. the town is all behind it and it is early so as to not affect the pleasure boats in the bay as usual we will shut off the boat launch for the weekend.

they have spent a ton of money on the park there in the last few years. They started a country music festival a couple years back and expanded the fields across the way for Rv's and camping so we could put a ton of motor homes across the way..

So all you guys please put some pictures of any CP history you have together and get it to me... that would be awesome..

Regards,

aojesus
11-27-2005, 06:59 AM
Good Morning Dave,
79 degrees here today in West Central Fla.
I did some rummaging in my file cabinet and found a 1980 high points sheet for stock outboard (CBF). Carelton place is on there. I moved up to ASH in 1980, and also ran ASR there after that. According to this sheet our joint sanction or CBF races in 1980 were...
Crystal Lake
Woodstock
Chateuguay
Picton
Silver Lake
Verdun
Cardinal
Saranac Lake
Dunnville
Mahone Bay
Porters Lake
Richibucto:) :D :)
St. Zotique
Sydenham
Silver Lake
Woodstock
Carelton Place
Welland
Lots of racing back then! It was great looking back through this sheet and seing the old names from J through D.

RussW

STU Racing
11-27-2005, 10:18 AM
this is the last of my father's pictures. hope you enjoy these and see some familiar faces and boats!

aojesus
11-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Hello Dave,
Here is a picture of one of Canada's racing ladies riding in my canoe. Not sure if it is Carelton Place or Westport. It is Lorainne Thinnel. She raced 25SSH and her husband Norm also raced. Hydro picture is of Vince Hartman in the boat and Chris Heath holding the front.
These old pictures sure are fun! Bob Abbott used to carry a camera once in a while, maybe he has some pictures.

RussW

r2ref
12-04-2005, 12:25 AM
Here's one from the bay in Fishers Landing, NY. Sorry I don't know who they are or what year. Early to mid 50's?

Dave Curtis
12-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Dean;
Photo is 1964 Donnie Reed Memorial, July 5 at Fishers Landing, BSH, 1st elimination heat. Boats are (l to r) Allen Newell, ?, Dave Curtis, Ray Stefanello, Tom Bates. Steffy won that 1st heat, John Webster the 2nd and the final to take home the trophy that year.
In that era the Donnie Reed Memorial was the race of races in Region 2.
How about some more Region 2 pics?
Dave Curtis

17W
12-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Dave- You should have Mitch post some I know he has to have many...

STU Racing
01-02-2006, 01:31 PM
i went through my pictures today and found some older front runners from region 2. they haven't changed much since the 70's and 80's besides the greying up top and some have moved on to different things. see if you can name them

rumleyfips
10-31-2012, 07:30 AM

Hope this works; it's my first try at images.

Testing at Waddington, Bunky boat.

Racecraft , teak boat at Siver Lake.

Same boat , unknown location, 25SSR.

Same boat, Welland Canal, BSR.

1970? Racecraft, Dunville. The clown beside me ran right into my cockpit in the first corner.

Tara the wonder dog fishing.

Contact prints. If you blow them up you should see Mike Lundy, Brunjes?, Shannon Bowman I think, Cliff Tamset and Craig Dewald with the original 25ss OMC.

John

rumleyfips
10-31-2012, 07:40 AM

Chic LaRose, Buzz Godfrey and ?, testing Buzz's new Hedlund, Waddington, May 1, 1970.

Borrowed Austin at Welland.

That's all folks.

FurnalFlyer
10-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Stu,
Number 1 is McManus, Number 2 I think is Silver Lake, Number 3 I think is Crystal Lake, 5 and 6 are Whitney Point.

Leigh