PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Grant

jrome
11-22-2005, 08:15 PM
I was talking with Marshall Grant today about the new movie, "Walk the Line," and about the new book he has coming out in April '06. Marshall helped with some of the history in the movie. He was featured on the CMT segment of "The Making of Walk the Line." He was very happy with the way the movie portrayed Johnny Cash, even though it is hard to tell every thing that happened in his life in two hours. We talked about the good ole days with Johnny and some of the others in the show. I told him that I thought the woman that played Mother Maybelle nailed her part and Marshall agreed. In one segment of the movie, they showed Marshall making a bomb and then placing it in a tree and watching it blow up. I wish that they had shown Marshall with his boat racing cannon. Marshall, John, and Luther would fire the cannon off while on tour in the early days. Below, you will find the April 1965 issue of "The World of Boat Racing" with an article on Johnny Cash, Marshall Grant and Dick Pond.

Ron Hill
11-23-2005, 01:45 AM
My kids wanted to go see "Walk the Line" with me....I told them, I'm sorry but I'll need to see it by myself...

I went to college in Flagstaff, Arizona...we listened to Johnny Cash 24/7... At the Latin Quarter Bar we played Ira Hayes by Johnny Cash about 250 times every Friday night...

The Ring of Fire plays on my DVD's daily...
I hear the movies is great....

Master Oil Racing Team
11-23-2005, 07:23 AM
My daughter's boyfriend will be in town this weekend so I'm taking Sunday afternoon off and we're going to see it.

I hope he makes a few cities on a book signing tour when it comes out. Maybe he'll make it down to Houston.

Marshall and my Dad were good friends. They talked on the phone and corresponded quite a bit. It was Marshall that had the biggest influence on my Dad's approach to putting on races. Some of the things they did could help with race promotion these days. In spite of the ties that Marshall had with Roone Arledge of ABC Wide World of Sports, they would not air alky races. I saw the NOA World Championships on Wide World of Sports the year I started racing, but never after that. The program was too long for ABC.

The driver in all these photos was Billy Seebold. It was 1972 and Billy was already driving tunnels. This I believe was his last year to race alky. Billy and his dad Bill had already stopped fielding their own V-45 Seebold Racing when Billy started driving for Marshall. I think that was around 1968. Have to check some old programs. Billy won just about everything he raced for Marshall at Alexandria that year.

jrome
11-23-2005, 10:44 AM
The movie was GREAT. I highly recommend it. It gets a little rough when John is under the influence of drugs. But on the whole, anyone over the age of 10 has seen worse on TV. The actors did a great job of portraying June Carter and Johhnny Cash.

Master Oil Racing Team
11-25-2005, 02:42 PM
I don't have any photos of the race at Rogers, Arkansas. It turned out very rough. Don't recall much about the races. Only a few funny stories, but one of the things that clearly stands out in my mind was three of the girls in our pit crew talking with Marshall's wife Etta and her sister Alice. We were pitted next to Marhall and when the girls found out he placed bass for Johnny Cash they couldn't pull enough information from Etta.

The year was 1969. Bob Dylan's "Nashville Skyline" had been recently released and on it was one track, "Girl From the North Country", that Johnny did a duet with Bob Dylan. Of course "Lay Lady Lay" was topping the charts then and when the girls found out that Marshall and Etta were at the recording sessions they were non stop questions. "What was he like. What did he do. Did you talk to him. etc." It was probably at this time that Bob Dylan was spending time with Johnny Cash and co-wrote "Wanted Man" with Johnny Cash.

The photos are from a 1972 AOF race at Gravois Mills, Missouri. Billy Seebold is driving, Marshall is holding up the boat with his back to us and his brother-in-law Jerry Pennington has the other side.

jrome
11-27-2005, 07:32 PM
I remember a story Marshall told me not too long ago. We were talking about how much Carl Perkins liked boat racing. I remember that the last time I saw Carl here in Houston, we would talk about boat racing and the good ole days with Marshall, who he called "Gramps." Carl's band members did not know that he use to go to the boat races. On one occassion, his bus was traveling down 165, Carl happened to wake up just as they passed Ft Bulow Lake. Carl said, "Worlds Fastest Water." Everyone on the bus looked at him like he was crazy or either on some wild drugs because they had no idea what he was talking about. Carl just looked back at them and laughed.;)

The Johnny Cash Show was rehearsing for the upcoming TV show and all Carl could talk about was the upcoming trip to the 1970 Championships in Alexandria. Since Carl loved to go to the races so much, he helped Marshall out in the pits. Marshall got his money's worth out of Carl. They won 6 Championships and might has won one more, but Billy Seebold jumped the gun in one heat and was disqualified.:confused:

As you can see in this picture in Hydro Plane Quarterly, Carl is putting the equipment away after the races were completed. Carl told Marshall "I guess we are going to have to take these trophies back so they will believe that we won all this." I always liked it when Carl came to the races and the only thing that made it better was when Fluke came too.:)

Master Oil Racing Team
11-28-2005, 10:40 AM
We were blown out Saturday but managed to get all but a few heats run Sunday. Dieter Konig was there from Germany to help Marshall get his 8 cylinder Konig set up. As there was no testing at Lake Hollingsworth, we all went to a nearby lake to test. Tim Butts had brought down a new design on an Aerowing for us. We won with it on that big sweeping oval course where you can keep up the power, but it never worked good on the average course. My Dad ultimately gave it to Marshall to run his 8 cylinder on. That was a boat we named "HONCHO".

Marshall's 1000 cc Konig (two back to back C's) was running too rich, so Dieter fined tuned it by squeezing the dump tubes with a pair of pliers. It was amazing to watch Dieter work. Charlie Bailey was there to drive for Marshall. I think that was the only race that Charlie drove for him.

I was great to be pitted between two of alky's notable racers, Tim Butts and Marshall Grant.

kim cleckler
11-28-2005, 07:13 PM
Was Great!! Especially When You Were Raised On That Music And Johnny..

Ws (fluke) Still Comes And Hangs Out With Us Drag Racing (odba) Usually Always At Jasper Tn For The Finals..

I Have The "super Stranger" That He Used To Run Back In The 70's And He Has Several Other Boats I Need To Get From Him "kitson" And A Stacker I Know Of.. He Still Drives That Lincon With "JOHNNY CASH Racing" On The Side Of It When He Comes To A Race..

Now That I Have Ended Up The The "SCOTTI" Back Up Boat Of Ceasar Scotti I May Put The Super Stranger On It.. Be A Good Piece..

WS is A Great Guy And Friend And Lots Of History There Too..

Master Oil Racing Team
11-29-2005, 07:23 AM
Haven't seen the movie yet. Was planning on taking Sunday off to see it, but had to work. Like to hear some more stories on Fluke. Did Carl ever pit for him?

Duke Johnson
11-29-2005, 09:07 PM
Duke, Bill Seebold Sr, Bill Seebold Jr, Jerry, Marshall Grant, 2 friends of Marshall's & Carl Perkins

Master Oil Racing Team
11-29-2005, 09:21 PM
What's the story behind the lineup besides Billy bringing home the gold for Marshall? Billy won six the previous year, but I don't seem to have any Alexandria Town Talk clips from 1971.

Duke Johnson
11-29-2005, 09:28 PM
Wayne, it was the year Billy won 6 championships, so that would make it 72. We are standing in front of Ring of Fire 2.

OLEGATORXX
11-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Fluke Wanted A Dune Buggy I Had. We Had Everything Worked Out Eccept How To Get It From My Home In Orlando To Jackson Tn Where He Lived. He Called Me And Said They Had A New Tractor/trailer Rig To Haul The Equipment To The Shows And They Were Doing A Show Somewhere In South Fl. The Driver Was To Stop By Orlando On The Way Back. When The Driver Got To A Easy Point To Find, I Met Him And Led Him To My House. It Was In The Middle Of The Afternoon And You Can Imagine What Happen When A Big Semi Pulled Up In Front Of My House With Johnny Cash Show Painted On The Side. All The Nosey Women Within Site Were Hanging Out Their Front Doors Wondering What's Going On. I Got Out In The Middle Of The Street And Yelled, We're Having A Show Tonite At 7:30, We Will Start Selling Tickets At 6:30. Then The Driver And I Loaded The Dune Buggy In The Trailer And He Headed Out To Tn.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-01-2005, 07:38 AM
I can picture that scene.:D Joe Rome was going to post this some day about Papa Smith, but I couldn't wait. He can tell it again.

Our friend Louis Williams is an undertaker (retired) by trade. Mama Smith used to love it when Louis came to see them in his hearse. Mama Smith would ask, "Louis could you back it in the driveway? That will give the old biddies something to talk about for a month."

Back to Marshall

Marshall, Tim Butts and my Dad were promoting an annual race at Hot Springs, Arkansas based on a three to four hour show with top competitors from around the U.S. They were not promoters in the sense to make money, but to bring a good show to the spectators and to have some great racing. It was a challenge series pitting North, South, East and West against one another and the teams combining point totals for the Championship.

Jerry Waldman was captain for the North at the first event in which he was killed in one of the final races. He garnered enough points himself to lead the North to victory. Tim Butts was North Captain for the 2nd event in 1973, My Dad and Marshall were for the second time Captains for the South and East respectfully. I forgot who was Captain for the West this second year. I don't think we had any participation from the West Coast on the second one.
In fact, the overall turnout was poor because somehow it got past everyone that the Eastern Divisionals were on for the same weekend. I think the scheduling error occurred because of last minute changes by one or both parties.

So here are a few photos of Marshall's rigs with Dan Kirts driving, and an excerpt of a letter from my Dad.

F-12
12-01-2005, 02:38 PM
You can always tell which one Dan Kirts is..........he's the one in the fast boat with the farmer's tan. Guess it goes with living in Indiana.............

Master Oil Racing Team
12-04-2005, 07:28 PM
That is probably the most accurate representation of a musician's story that ever came out of Hollywood. Probably because it is like a film version of Johnny Cash's autobiography. What a great movie. It does a very good job of boiling down a portion of Johnny's life without seeming segmented. A very good story line. You could tell the writers watched the BBC documentary from San Quentin and listened to the album, because the movie has the same lighting and almost identical dialogue with the documentary. The actor who portrayed Marshall I thought did an excellent job, except Marshall didn't move around on stage like that. It is uncanny how the actors were able to so closely mimic the voices and facial expressions of Johnny and June. And Joaquin Phoenix slung his guitar around like the real thing.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-05-2005, 10:13 AM
A couple of photos of the Johnny Cash Show when they came to Corpus Christi in 1974. Not good quality, but?????????

Hey Ron, some new members may not have seen your post about when Marshall, WS "Fluke" Holland, and Carl Perkins came to your Dad's shop. This would be a good place to repost it--if you have the inclination.

Ron Hill
12-05-2005, 11:05 AM
http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900&highlight=hollis

Wayne, this is the thread you were talking about...

FYI: I found it from our "SEARCH" here on BRF...To find stuff, just type a name or something you want to find and it will list it for you, cool!!!

Everytime, I think about going to see I WALK THE LINE, I just have to take some deep breaths...In my mind, Johnny Cash can't be dead...He was always larger than life to me...same with June Carter Cash....I may have to go see the movie by myself, as I'm afraid I may cry a lot...

Not a day goes by that I don't listen to at least one Cash song in my car....Usually, Sunday Morning Coming Down, Beautiful Blue Eyes...or Ira Hayes...I've listen to those songs for 40 years....

I only wish we'd had the NET when those guys were involved with boat racing.....if for no other reason just so I could have read about the ACTION....

Great pictures, as usual, Wayne!!!!

jrome
12-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Ron, you reminded me of a story I told Marshall when Johnny Cash passed away. I told him how lucky I felt ot have been given the privilege of being allowed into the inner circle of the Cash Family. I was allowed to go backstage and visit with them on the bus. I will always be thankful to Marshall for those memories. I knew when John passed away, I would never feel the electricity that I felt when I was sitting watching John perform. One story in particular comes to mind. Wayne and I went to see Johnny performing in San Antonio. He opened the show with a couple of his standard songs (can't remember which, so long ago you know). The next song he did was "Remember the Alamo." The place went wild. You know that the convention center is very close to the Alamo. The whole place was ELECTRIFIED!!! When you thought that the crowd was about as wild as you have ever seen, he then sung the "Ballad of Ira Hayes." The Chief of the Pema Indians and Ira Hayes' niece was in the audience. You could feel the energy growing. John was a genious at getting that kind of energy out of a crowd. Marshall told me John could read the audience like that. Marshall said that he would have to pay attention to what he would tell Luther or Bob the next song would be. John would change the routine depending on the how the crowd reacted. They could put on a show. Thanks again Marshall for the memories!

Master Oil Racing Team
12-06-2005, 07:17 AM
Back then we would just meet Marshall before the show and go backstage with him. We enjoyed the heck out of the performances, but I wished I would have stopped to take notice of where we were and look around. We just kind of took some of that stuff for granted. Like riding in the bus and talking to Marshall, Fluke, the Statler Brothers and Carl Perkins. All except Bob Wootton. He wasn't stuck up or arrogant, just quiet. I never thought about the Johnny Cash band being on top of the music world. Just went along for the ride and not thinking that some day it would end.

The only show I ever took my camera to was the one in Corpus Christi where I sat in the audience with about 20 of our neighbors. Marshall asked my Dad how many tickets he wanted and had them set up at the box office. Here's a couple more photos.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-12-2005, 09:10 AM
I don't remember whether we were in Houston or San Antonio, but there was some guy who didn't know who Joe and I were. Marshall was the road and stage manager, but this guy had some authority and he tried to run us off. Mother Maybell Carter told him to leave us alone. "These boys are with us", she said.

Before the show in Houston Joe and I went up to Marshall's room and we talked for awhile. We rode down to the show on the bus and after the show, Marshall and Joe went through the back of the building to get the bus. They left several guitars and Marshall's bass out on the street at the side of the building and everyone went back in to get on the bus. They left me alone, at night, downtown Houston to watch over the instruments. It seemed like forever before that bus showed up. These days, my throat would have been slit before that side door slammed shut.

jrome
12-12-2005, 06:23 PM
I always liked the names of Marshall's boats. "Ring of Fire" being the most famous runabout ever. But I also liked his hydro names as well. "Miss Folsom," and my favorite, "Sue." All of these names were associated with the music of Johnny Cash. There is a picture below of Marshall and Baldy in deep discussion. I really don't know who is selling who.;)

Master Oil Racing Team
12-13-2005, 07:59 AM
That last photo was from the first invitational race at Hot Springs. That's Billy Seebold in the life jacket driving for Marshall. 1972. That's my prop I had on the 1100cc hydro. I was out front when everything started shaking. I didn't know what had happened, but I had to kill the engine. That was the only time I ever lost a blade. That was the last invitational race we had at Hot Springs. Dan Kirts was driving for Marshall then.

Marshall my Dad and Tim Butts had put on that invitational race three years in a row. Their concept was similar to some of the stuff going on with USTS. More prize money, professional looking equipment and drivers, a good show for spectators, etc. Marshall retired from racing the following year if I remember correctly and I was out for the season so no more invitational races. When I came back in 1976 my Dad, Tim and myself started putting our efforts toward UIM racing. I wonder what would have happened had Marshall stayed in and we continued the APBA concept. He was a tireless worker. In spite of all he had to contend with being in Johnny Cash's band, he still made time to work on promoting top of the line Pro racing.

Ron Hill
12-13-2005, 11:17 AM
Wayne,

Didn't Marshall kind of "BACK OFF" racing too, right after Jerry Waldman was killed in Hot Springs, Arkansas???

Went and saw "Walk the Line" this last weekend.....I liked it so much, I almost went back and watched the next showing.....I never knew June wrote "Ring of Fire" and I won't believe the song has anything to do with CHILLI....I wish they'd have sang "Where We're You When Thye Crucified My Lord"... I always loved June Carter Cash's voice in this song!!!! I dreamed of seeing her sing it, about a million times...

As a teacher I always said, for every negative comment a child received , it took two hundred positives to balance the negative....I inspired thousands of children to do better than they, themselves, had ever dreamed....50 of my old students are now teachers...It was a great job, I loved it.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-13-2005, 12:19 PM
Waldman's death had a profound effect on all of us, but Marshall continued with racing for a couple of more years. Jerry wouldn't have wanted it otherwise either. He was one of the original captains of the invitational.

It is remarkable that Marshall was able to field one of the tops teams at the height of Johnny Cash's career. Just remember, they had to rehearse all the old stuff, learn and rehearse the new stuff, go into the studio to record, do the TV show, show's on the road, deal with the media, and Marshall was road manager too. It is amazing how he would ever have time to get his engines and boats to perfection where they not only outran everybody most of the time, but were more than one heat wonders. The motors lasted, which is key to bringing home the gold. And he did this with at least 8 to 10 classes. I don't remember about the A class, but his boats entered B-F hydro and runabout and C Service hydro and runabout.

When Marshall moved to Hernando Mississippi he built a large stable for his horses and had a very nice place with lots of room, rolling hills and green grass for them to excercise and roam. I don't remember if he had thoroughbreds, quarter horses or both, but Randy was into that and track. Marshall didn't have time for everything so he got out of racing to do stuff with Randy. That's the only logical thing to do--spend time with your family. Maybe Randy can tell us about the horses. (I still have a photo of their dog Siberia I never sent them).

Go get a copy of "Live at Madison Square Garden". They recorded it in 1969 I think, but it is typical of the shows they put on back then and on TV. None of the performances of those days were identical, but this one will give you the sense of what it was like back then. On it is "Where were you when they crucified my Lord". I put on that CD when I am straightening up my racing room or hanging more pictures.

You're right about the teachers. They spend an awful lot of time with kids when they are in their formative years. Many I have forgotten but some leave a good impression that will last forever.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-13-2005, 09:55 PM
June co-wrote "Ring of Fire" with Merle Kilgore (I think that's his name) awhile before her and John were married. There's something though that I can't remember about the Mexican horns. They came to June in a dream I think, and she insisted that they be part of the song.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-14-2005, 08:00 AM
All this time I was thinking that the guy who tried to kick us out of the show in Houston was with the Johnny Cash band. Marshall was the road manager and he always took care of his business, so how did this guy get the authority? Well, Joe says his name is Bill Bailey and he was a local disc jockey and was the announcer at Myers Speedway. It was close to where Joe lived and he was a regular out there. Bailey recognized him from the races.

That's where Joe met the editor of Motorsport, Harry Echols. Next thing Bailey knew, here is Joe up in the pressbox. When he spotted Joe backstage at the Johnny Cash show, he must have assumed Joe was a con man with a knack for getting behind the scenes at public events. He didn't believe us when we said we came with the band. Thanks to Mother Maybell she shut him up. Joe said Bailey is now a JP in Harris county and he doesn't want the opportunity to be in his court.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Our daughter Alexis is home from college and brought a Christmas tree last night. No happy holidays PC here. It's Christmas and Jesus or hit the road. Anyway, we were decorating the tree and listening to Johnny Cash and I thought...maybe there's some people that don't know there's a Johnny Cash Christmas CD. It's great. 2 CD's. The first one has Johnny and the band doing traditional Christmas songs. The second is a combination of a song and dialog of Johnny, June and members of the band swapping Christmas stories between songs. You can identify with their stories. Marshall and Fluke along with others that toured are all sitting around talking, laughing. It's a good Christmas CD.

Doug Hall Y51
12-17-2005, 02:10 PM
I totaly agree. It is CHRISTMAS and always will be in my family. Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Year.

jrome
04-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Johnny Dortch sent me some pictures he took at a concert that Marshall invited him to. The picture of Johnny sitting on top of the K4 runabout was taken in Knoxville, TN. Thanks for the pictures, Johnny!!!!!!:)

Master Oil Racing Team
04-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Joe, did Johnny Dortch say when and where he took the pic of Johnny Cash sitting on Marshall's runabout? Maybe it was the same time that the photo was taken that was on the cover of that racing magazine.

jrome
04-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Wayne ,johnny Dortch Said The Photo Was Taken In Knoxville .i Think He Said At The North-south Race.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-26-2006, 08:01 AM
Since there is a lot of history about Marshall Grant and some of his motors on this thread I am going to try to make a link. Some new members of BRF have probably not seen this thread:

An Amazing Story thread (http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2926)

jrome
10-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Marshall sent me a copy of his new book, "I Was There When It Happened." I have read half of the book and it is fantastic. I am so excited about reading about John through Marshall's eyes. Marshall had a tough time juggling all the job titles that he had like Road Manager, Base Guitar Player, mechanic for the bus, travel agent, mediater, basic needs for the group, and as he says in the book "general flunky." I think that anyone that ever knew Marshall will really enjoy the book.

Marshall put a picture of his boat "Ring of Fire" in the book.

You will never guess what was the first payment the group got for performing!!:D

Lots of laughs!!!!

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
10-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Great history and pics. Very appreciated. Have to see the link to the other 20 pages real soon. :)

Master Oil Racing Team
10-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Okay Joe...I don't have my book yet. What was the first payment?

jrome
10-03-2006, 06:58 PM
The first paid concert was a benefit for a friend of Marshall Grant (B Hydro driver) who had been hurt n a boat-racing accident. The event was at a bar b que place. It was the second appearance of the group and you could say it was their first paid performance. They got to eat all the bar b que they wanted!

Ron Hill
10-03-2006, 10:08 PM
Will Marshall autograph a copy for me, or anyone else???

I'm sure Marshall has no idea how many times I listened and sang along with the ballad of Ira Hayes...the whiskey drinking Indian or the Marine than went to war.....

Wayne, the pictures you post really tell the story of OUR LIVES....

After Chad crashed out Sunday, we realized, that in the old days, we'd have wrapped duct tape around his boat and been back out, much like Bill Curtis did to Kevin Curtis's boat.....Kevin finished third in the Main but not giving up....

We should have gone to work, with the concept of "It ain't over til, it's over"...but wait until next year...

Master Oil Racing Team
10-04-2006, 07:19 PM
....all the Bar be Que you can eat!

Can you imagine? A band...that at their peak that was the most popular band, even more than the Beatles or Rolling Stones,...selling more records than any band....and their second gig... and the first paying:confused: gig was at a boat race?:cool:

bill boyes
10-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Just finished the book. I highly recommend. Good reading. How did Marshall ever put up with Cash and his drug use?
The book is available at Amazon.com $16.00

Master Oil Racing Team
10-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Karen has Joe's computer tied up and he couldn't wait to get this story out and asked my help. It all started after Joe talked to Bill Boyes earlier about a trip he took to the NOA Nationals at Midland with the DeSilvas. Later today Joe talked with Marshall about it and this is what came to mind after thinking about that race.

Harry Bartolomei was a good set up man and had taken away a straightaway record the Marshall's D runabout held. Those records were falling pretty fast during that time period and so Marshall stayed over for the straighaway records on Monday.

Marshall had done some reworking of his prop and had a setup he felt could bring the record back. On the first run that DeSilva with a Merc hung on it was a beautiful sight as it laid out just perfect on the water. The return leg was very hairy. It was all Dickie Pond could do to keep it on the water, and Marshall was convinced he could not even do that all the way through the traps. But he did. Barely. As if the final bouy was the signal, Dickie and his DeSilva took off like a 747 bound for London.

As it climbed it began to loop around then spit Dickie out. Miraculously the runabout landed upright and made a 90 toward the pits. It was still running at an idle as it came right next to Marshall's pit area. He waded out and shut it off.

After Dickie quit tumbling and took stock of himself, he began to swim toward shore. As he got close he hollered "Marshall....Marshall!" Marshall was worried and thought to himself, "What's the matter with Dickie?" He headed over to him and Dickie stayed down. As quietly and he could and still be heard he said to Marshall, "I've lost my shoes, my pants, and my underwear. Get me something to wear." Joe didn't say whether Marshall got a big grin on his face or not, but his brother-in-law Jerry Pennington had a bathing suit handy that he took to Dickie.:D

T2x
10-13-2006, 05:22 AM
In the offshore circuit, we got to meet just about everybody...from movie actors, to singers, to politicians, to wrestlers. The vast majority were there, primarily, for "photo ops" and publicity. I was aware of the Johnny Cash-Marshall Grant connection after reading the various articles back in the 60's, but never realised the full extent of Marshall's involvement in the sport...rather than as a poseur. This thread is a great tribute to the guy in that it shows his real commitment.... and the fact that in spite of his fame and success...he achieved the greatest title of all.... He was a real "Boat Racer".

T2x

Master Oil Racing Team
10-13-2006, 06:36 AM
He really loved the sport. The only reason he gave it up was for his family. He had to quit driving as the band's popularity increased. Then when his son Randy got deeply involved with horses he decided to sell out. All of his time had been spent with the band and racing. But even though Randy came to pit for him, it was still Marshall's baby. He told me that he had to sell everything. If he kept any equipment, he might be tempted to get back in. I don't know if he kept any old motors or boats that were obsolete though. But he still loves to tell old boat racing stories. He told Joe a couple of years ago he spotted the Seebold's trailer at a Cracker Barrel and stopped. Marshall said he and Billy spent more than an hour talking racing before they had to get back on the road. Can't get it out of your blood.:cool:

BTW T2x--Do you know Alan Butler? He used to race offshore with outboards a few years back.

David Mason
10-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Funny, I have met a lot of people at Cracker Barrel in my travels for boat racing. Seems ironic Marshal would see Seebold there. Not only have I met other boat racers there, but lots of racers from other sports as well. Cracker Barrel should put a Racers Special on the menu !

Wayne, keep the stories coming, we are getting hungry for more.

Ron Hill
10-13-2006, 09:03 AM
They don't have Cracker Barrels in California. (Workman's comp is too high, at least that is what I was told)...

When I went to Texas for the Lone Star Boat Racers Reunion, I met Joe Rome and Wayne at the Cracker Barrel, just assumed that is where you were supposed to meet....... When Bill Boyes and I went to the Winter Nationals, we ate there daily....Sometimes, twice...

My two favorties....MEAT LOAF...and the fact that you can order bacon by he strip...like 10, if you want them...

Yes, Wayne, keep your pictures and stories coming...

Who got Marshall's Sercice "C" stuff??? I'm actually loking for a Service "C" to race at DePue, 2007, no use gong to the Reunion, without racing...Mayer says I can run his 13 Krier Runabout......need me a motor...I can always borow a prop....Ain't running no hydro, though...

T2x
10-13-2006, 10:12 AM
BTW T2x--Do you know Alan Butler? He used to race offshore with outboards a few years back.

Yes I do...in fact I know two Alan Butlers who raced offshore outboards...I believe the one you are referring to is the guy who raced with Gary Balough... out of Texas.

T2x

Master Oil Racing Team
10-13-2006, 02:04 PM
T2x--I don't know Gary, but I'm guessing you are right. The Alan I am speaking of lives in Corpus and has a lake house a couple of coves over from me. He won a National or World Championship several years ago and was sponsored by the syndicated cartoon strip "Blondie".

Now the rest of the story....

Joe had run into Billy Seebold at Baytown two years ago when the champ boats were running there. Billy took the afternoon off from the pits to relive the alky days with Joe and told him about running into Marshall. So the next day or so Joe called Marshall and this is how that meeting came about.

Marshall was cruising down some interstate and happened to glance over toward the Cracker Barrel. To his surprise he saw the Bud van with the Seebold's rig splashed across the side. Marshall whipped over to the first exit and turned around to check it out. As he drove into the parking lot, he saw the rig was starting to pull away. Quickly he swerved his Cadillac to a screeching halt in the path of the 18 wheeler. The driver's mind began to race. What the....a hijacking?...Irate husband?...What??? Marshall went up to the driver and asked. "Where's Billy?" The driver,very relieved, said that he was still in the restaurant. So Marshall goes in to find a very surprised and pleased Billy Seebold. They spent the next hour and a half talking.

That's another good thing about the Cracker Barrels. As busy as they are, they don't try to rush you out to fill the table. At the reunion, I told Ron and Joe, "Hey, we better get out of here before we have to ask for the lunch menu." We were in there a good hour after we ate breakfast ourselves. Between them, Ron and Joe must know every important outboard event and participants from Modesto to Lakeland going back to the fifties.

jrome
10-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Wayne You Only For Got One Thing . Marshall And Dick Pone Got The Record . 77plus Mph. It Was One Of The Funnyest Stories Marshall Has Ever Told Me.marshall Loved His Boat Racing Days And The Boat Racing Family In Alky Division. Thanks For Telling The Story Wayne.

Master Oil Racing Team
10-17-2006, 05:31 AM
Great reading.

I found a couple of photos of Dick Pond in Marshall K4. One was at the North South Championships and ironically Dick Pond was the "General Grant" for accumulating the most points for the North and Dub Parker was "General Lee". I don't know what Marshall Grant thought about his boat being entered and winning for the North, as he was a southener. There must have been a little kidding about that in the pits.

Composite Specialties
10-17-2006, 05:59 AM
Wayne, was this the same Noth-South championship that was held in Burlington, NC back in the late 60's or early 70's? I know we attended severeral races there and one in particular was a record run where Jimmy Aderholt attempted to set a record with his marchetti. I also remember Bill Fails there attempting to set a record in his runabout.

Donald
10-17-2006, 08:39 AM
Wayne, That is me driving the boat behind Dick. I was driving Joe Poole's 44 Merc, who was a Mercury dealer in Atlanta. I can't remember where it was, but maybe at Lake Spivey in 1964. The next picture, I believe, was in Knoxville, where several North South races were held. The other boat F 17 belonged to Sheriff Elsie Hatton from Hazelhurst, Ga. He may have been driving it, but often Melvin Cooper drove it.

Composite Specialties
10-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Ralph, did you ever attend any of the North-South races at Lake Burlington, NC? I think they were NOA races back then.

Master Oil Racing Team
10-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Yes Marc, that is the same North-South. It was an NOA sanctioned event and it was held in different venues. I went to one in 1967 at Knoxville. I believe there was one at Alexandria, and the one before this magazine article was held in Chattanoga I think. Seems like I remember glancing at an old article of one in Michigan or Minnesota as well. When I raced in Knoxville in 67 I don't remember having to pit with the South. In the article with the picture, it said that the teams from the North pitted on one side and the South on the other with a gap in between.

And Marc. Did you know of a guy from North Carolina with a number of Z 11 or Z with some ones? I drove to Greenville to pick up a trailer with Dubinski's and some Konigs. A 4 carb C and cast iron A among them. I can't remember the name of the driver who we got the stuff from.

Hey Ralph....I saw some other pics of you and some racing in the early 60's. Fun reading. I'll try to find it again.

Master Oil Racing Team
10-18-2006, 05:55 AM
Here is an ad in the March/April 1971 "Roostertail" Marc.

Composite Specialties
10-18-2006, 06:05 AM
Wayne, I have a picture of my dad's boat, D looper, in the Greensboro, NC parade promoting that Burlington race with the same sertoma queen posing with the boat. I will find it and scan it and post if.

My Dad's number was Z-11 for about 30 years. When did you pick up those parts?

Master Oil Racing Team
10-18-2006, 07:03 AM
I had just graduated from high school. The only friend I had that could help me drive was not a good driver. He scared me so bad, I only let him drive about 30 miles for the whole trip. But we listened to good music all the way. The Doors "Light my fire", Procol Harum "A whiter shade of Pale", Scott McKenzie "If you're going to San Francisco", Jimi Hendrix "Hey Joe", but they played "Silence is golden" every 15 minutes. And all the way through Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia the DJ's kept talking about a regional artist that had a record that they thought would be a hit. They wouldn't shut up about how popular it was growing but they weren't playing it. We didn't hear the song until we were in Tennessee on the way back. It was Bobby Gentry's "Ode to Billy Joe". Sometimes when you hear that much hype, you are disappointed when it finally comes around. But this song did live up to the DJ's chatter. And whenever I hear Johnny Cash do "Starkville County Jail" reminds me of sitting on the grass in front of the first Kentucky Fried Chicken I ever saw in Lake Charles, La. They had no dining room, so we sat on the grass eating fried chicken and picking flowers that were growing around us. Flower power. Peace brother:cool: :D .

That would be so weird if that was your Dad's equipment Marc. What years did he race and what boats and motors did he have. I don't exactly remember the number, but I know it was a Z and I seem to remember 1's.

Composite Specialties
10-18-2006, 07:28 AM
Randy raced from the mid 50's to around the late 70's. During that time he had three boat numbers, Z-25, Z-11 and Z-1. Most of the boats were Marchetti's, canvas and wood decks. For the most part, he always had Quincy loopers but he did have a Konig "C" that he raced for a while but ended up getting rid of it, don't remember when. The Z-25 Marchetti was natural wood with white front decks. The Z-11 and Z-1 boats were Marchetti's with natural wood and carolina blue front decks.

We raced at Lakeland, Alex, Depue alot and many more road trips. I was so young that I just remember waking up in the motor home when we arrived and started helping out in the pits.

On a side note, I use to have a picture of me as a kid, maybe 2 or 3 years old, sitting on Marshall Grants lap at Depue, under the shelter. My dad was talking with him and Marshall was talking to me, that is all I remember of that.

Master Oil Racing Team
10-18-2006, 08:43 AM
We mostly wanted the trailer and the C Konig. The trailer we had was too small. There were one or two Dubinski boats with natural wood finish and bow colors were black on white. In my mind I picture a black lightning bolt on each side of the bow. The C Konig was a 4 carb with short megaphones. It was the following year that the rotary valve Konigs hit the U.S. I'll see if I can find a picture of the trailer before we painted it.

Do you have a photo of your Dad to post? We weren't at the house very long, but I remember a tall slim man with some gray in his hair. Very nice guy, and the neighborhood had lots of tall trees. I've been racking my brain to recall some details and a little is coming back. Now I'm trying to remember the town. It had Green in the name and I had thought it was Greenville, but it could have been Greensborough. I will look at a map tonight to see if I can recall some of the nearby towns. Heck, I don't know why I shouldn't remember. I was only there briefly 39 years ago.:rolleyes:

Composite Specialties
10-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Wayne, here was the D Marchetti with the Quincy looper on the back with the same race Queen in the Greensboro parade for the 1971 North-South regatta at Lake Burlington.

Master Oil Racing Team
10-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Marc--I looked at a map and we went through Charlotte so it was Greensboro we went to in "67. I had a Marchetti at the North/South in Knoxville that year and it was a little bit long for an A. Maybe we didn't have a trailer full of Dubinskis. I looked up the race in a "Roostertail" and I found your Dad had won a race. B hydro I think. I'll post it soon. Be Busy for a few days.

Master Oil Racing Team
10-23-2006, 07:25 AM
Okay Marc, here is what I think.--The 1967 North South Championships were in Knoxville June 17-19. I left for North Carolina after I graduated, but I think it was probably in July. Six months or so ago I had been wondering who we got that stuff from so I went through all the Roostertails I had from those days to find an ad. No luck. So I'm thinking that my Dad must have met yours at the North South race in Knoxville. Us and Bruce Nicholson were the only ones from Texas. We didn't know anybody else. Your Dad won C hydro. So here's what I'm guessing. Your Dad may have posted a sign with equipment for sale, or my Dad approached yours about buying the C Konig after watching it run. In any case, I am convinced that the trailer and motor we ended up with came from your family. And that was the first time I ever saw autolite plugs in a racing motor. They came with that C Konig.

Joe tells me that Randy and my Dad talked all the time, but I don't remember that. In those days I didn't drink beer or spend time with the other racers and pit crews. I hung around with Tommy Wetherbee's daughter Marsha and my pit crew which were my age or younger (between 7-10 of us). So there's a lot more people my Dad knew personally than I did.

Would be cool if you could find that picture of you and Marshall.

The Roostertail cover is from that Knoxville race with me on the outside, Jerry Waldman to my left, Bob Hering inside of Waldman and Jerry Parrot on the far inside. The caption inside says it was the start of B Hydro, but it's really A Hydro. You can tell because that's a two pipe A Konig. B Konigs from those days had a forward facing can.

Composite Specialties
10-23-2006, 07:41 AM
Wayne, that is just amazing how things come around from the past. I remember your dad from when I was a kid. I always wanted to know who my dad was talking to. when I was a small kid, I met Bill Seebold and Jerry Waldman and got their autographs. It is such a small world to think that you probably ended up with my dad's equipment at one time.

I will see if I can find the pic of me and Marshall Grant. I just purchased his book this past weekend.

denny henderson
10-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Wayne,

Back in the late 50's, our next door neighbor, who was about 8 years older than me, started going to races with my dad. He and his dad and brother raced with us for several years and were quite good. They were Lee and Bobby Little and there dad Fred. They also had a friend who raced with them for several years in the late 60's named Keith Taylor. Keith also drove my dads equipment in 66 and 67 when I was enjured. The Little's and Keith Taylor were also at that North South race in Knoxville. Check the results for "A" and "B" hydro.

Denny

Master Oil Racing Team
10-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Denny- I remember Lee and Bobby Little as well as Keith Taylor. Lee's number was T 58 I think with blue, yellow and white on the deck. They were all good drivers. But, if you look close, they are listted under results from El Dorado. The North South results ran over to the top of the next column and I didn't want to just crop out the rest of the page so I posted the whole page.

David Weaver
10-24-2006, 03:46 AM
[QUOTE=
The Roostertail cover is from that Knoxville race with me on the outside, Jerry Waldman to my left, Bob Hering inside of Waldman and Jerry Parrot on the far inside. The caption inside says it was the start of B Hydro, but it's really A Hydro. You can tell because that's a two pipe A Konig. B Konigs from those days had a forward facing can.[/QUOTE]

Wayne,

We still have an 1969 FA Konig in working order. It may be missing the original pipes. Malcom Hardin rebuilt it sometime in the late 1980's and we ran it one last time then. It had over 150 pounds of compression per cylinder and would not shut-off on shore until the spark wires and fuel lines were removed!! Collectors stay away, it is not for sale!!!

DWW

Master Oil Racing Team
10-24-2006, 06:00 AM
:cool: Hang on to it David...but maybe you could post a picture.

Marc--The first photo is the one of the C Konig we bought and the second has the trailer in the background. I don't have any pics from before we refinished it. It held 4 boats. The motor that my Dad is rigging up is a cast iron block A Konig. The head had rounder edges and was polished to a shiny smooth finish. I think it was an older motor than '66 or '67 and we probably got it in the same deal.

Master Oil Racing Team
10-25-2006, 07:45 PM
.....anyone who thinks its another rehash is sadly mistaken. Marshall tells it like it was and in his own words. After the basic opening chapters which lays down how everyone got together and how things tended to work out that led to eventual fantastic success for the group, the narrative really puts the reader in Marshall's shoes (almost--there is really no way to describe some of the scenes as one would feel in his shoes.) It is all Marshall telling the story. But there come that point that those who have spent time with him can see him talking. It is Marshall's words and you can visualize his mannerisms and hear his unique accent (a mix of North Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi and places in between.) It is a story of love, dedication, extreme perseverance, constant pressure, and exhilaration combined with amazement of what they were doing. And that's only 1/3rd the way through.

Master Oil Racing Team
10-25-2006, 07:51 PM
.....anyone who thinks its another rehash is sadly mistaken. Marshall tells it like it was and in his own words. After the basic opening chapters which lays down how everyone got together and how things tended to work out that led to eventual fantastic success for the group, the narrative really puts the reader in Marshall's shoes (almost--there is really no way to describe some of the scenes as one would feel in his shoes.) It is all Marshall telling the story. But there come that point that those who have spent time with him can see him talking. It is Marshall's words and you can visualize his mannerisms and hear his unique accent (a mix of North Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi and places in between.) It is a story of love, dedication, extreme perseverance, constant pressure, and exhilaration combined with amazement of what they were doing. And that's only 1/3rd the way through.

Master Oil Racing Team
11-06-2006, 02:11 PM
...........a rare photo of Marshall in a hydro. Well....at least he was in it a second ago.;) This was taken at DePue in 1972. I think Billy was probably coming from an OPC race, and Marshall was testing before qualifying heats began.

jrome
11-06-2006, 06:52 PM
I talked to Marshall today and told him about his picture at Depue.He said Billy was racing some other race in opc and wouldnt be there in time to test.So marshall was the test pilot.He said the book is going great ,he spent 3 days in Nashville on radio shows and book signing. He was really happy about Tommy Cash calling him and told him how good the book was written.He told Marshall it was the best book he has ever read about Johnny and his music.That really made Marshall very happy. Has anybody else read the book.

Master Oil Racing Team
01-26-2007, 09:17 PM
Joe, I have to get back to reading it to the finish. I was 3/4ths through then put it in the mail to get it signed and now that I got it back, I don't want to get my thumbprints on it. I'll buy a new one and finish it. It's great reading though. A real human insight into Elvis at that truck stop in the wee hours of the morning when Marshall covered the top of that pumpkin pie with shaving cream.:D

Gene East
01-27-2007, 05:04 AM
I don't read a lot of books, but I waited several months for my copy of Marshall's book to arrive following repeated release dates.
This book is great. Well worth the wait!
Every boat racer and every country music fan should read this book.
It won't take long,because if you're like I was, you won't be able to put it down.
Joe, keep working on Marshall. We all want him and Randy at DePue!

jrome
06-07-2013, 07:32 PM
I just received from the United States Post Office fresh off the press, the NEW Johnny Cash Stamps. They are great. Stamps are on the front and a larger copy of the picture of Johnny is on the back. This picture was taken when he did Ring of Fire in the studio. Have you ever seen a black stamp??

jrome
04-07-2014, 05:37 PM
I was talking to Etta Grant today and she told me to look up a web site called www.findagrave.com. There are pictures posted there of Marshall's gravesite. She wanted me to see a bench that they had designed to sit on at Marshalls gravesite. I am sure that all of the boat racing people will be proud that Marshall's family included his boat racing life depicted on the memorial bench.
[ATTACH]56974[/ATTACH

Master Oil Racing Team
05-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Karen, you are right about it designed perfectly. Joe told me that Randy looked at all the artwork, the way it was laid out and said it was good, but he wanted it in black. Johnny Cash was the man in Black, and he thought that would be the best representation. There was something else Joe told me about that, but I forget what it was. Something I think to do with the musical notes. Maybe Joe will say.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-16-2016, 09:15 PM
Joe...what was it you told me about the music notes? I forgot. If you can't remember...call Etta. I know you will in the next day or so because you always do when a special blue artic norther comes down. You and Etta cannot stand the ice blue cold wind, and have always gotta talk about it! Give her my best.

Wayne.

David Weaver
07-04-2017, 11:47 AM
All, I am spending considerable time in Austin, TX for work. I have found a "watering hole" named the Mean Eyed Cat. It is all about Johnny Cash and his band. But, there is nothing in the place about Marshall's Race Boat. I showed them some photo's from the internet. Does anyone have access to a good copy of Ring of Fire with Johnny and the associated article? I wold love to hang copies of them in the Mean Eyed Cat. Thanks, David

jrome
07-05-2017, 08:59 AM
David I have a daughter that lives in Austin and have been thinking about bringing a few copies of some of them next time I go to Austin.

Duke Johnson
07-16-2017, 04:41 PM
David,
I have several since I had Ring of 2, and both Boat Named Sue Marchetti & Byers! Let me know!
Duke

Master Oil Racing Team
07-16-2017, 07:39 PM
I'm glad you chimed in Duke. There was another thread that was mentioning the Ring of Fire. I was thinking the Ketzers got the Ring of Fire (not original) that Marshall was campaigning and you guys got the other stuff, "Ring of Fire, Jr.", and maybe the C Service motors. Was the Byers "Miss Folsom". I remember Marshall saying how close he was to you guys.

Duke Johnson
08-08-2017, 05:23 PM
Wayne, The Marchetti was Boat Named Sue, I named the Byers Boat Named Sue 2, Dan Kirts drove it for Dad and just missed a CserH Record at Worlds in Alex 1976.
I do not know who got JR but we did get Cser power heads, lower units, from Marshall. It was very special! Great man to boat racing!

jrome
08-09-2017, 07:07 AM
Duke its been 6 years since we lost Marshall I miss him very much.

Duke Johnson
08-10-2017, 04:46 PM
Joe, You can't say it any better than that, he is missed every day! A very special man!

jrome
08-11-2017, 06:23 AM
Duke we are lucky because we got to know the man as a role model.

Duke Johnson
08-13-2017, 02:50 PM
Joe it is something we will never forget! Thanks!

BHereford
02-09-2021, 12:20 PM
Are there anymore photos of the Ring of Fire boat that Johnny Cash is sitting on? I need a top view of the paint.