PDA

View Full Version : ID these boats for me

Starflite
02-15-2021, 06:08 PM
I am going through my dad's boat pictures and there are so many I can't ID, so I need help identifying boat, driver and possibly location. And I don't know what to do with them. Should I post them somewhere else or give them away? I don't want them to get thrown away after I am gone. Here's the first batch:

rumleyfips
02-16-2021, 04:41 AM
The first boat looks like 108-N, Willie Go , Al Redmond, Gouverneur NY. MacDonald hydro and C Konig I think. There's a good picture of him in rough water on a Valleyfield picture site.

I think your picture is from Picton,Ontario 1961 ; the John Ward Trophy race.

Ron Hill
02-16-2021, 07:11 PM
JIMBO and Bob Nagote built at least two of these "Goat Boats". Wilbur McDonald had nothing to do with these boats.

Ron Hill
02-16-2021, 07:16 PM
Rocky Stone would come to SoCal and race the Hearst Regatta. William Randolph Hearst owned the Hearst Newspaper business. The races drew 35,000 spectators.

Rocky came down from Oregon 4 or 5 times and won every time in C Racing Runabout driving a McDonald Phantom.

This Phantom happens to have a rope start KG-9 that I think was Rocky Stone's!

Ron Hill
02-16-2021, 07:20 PM
It looks like a Calkins runabout, but it is for sure and McDonald cabover. Mac McDonald was an artist with wood. I think, Mac "Wilbur" McDonald was also a postman. I don't think these are Mac's boats!

Starflite
02-16-2021, 07:30 PM
It looks like a Calkins runabout, but it is for sure and McDonald cabover. Mac McDonald was an artist with wood. I think, Mac "Wilbur" McDonald was also a postman. I don't think these are Mac's boats!

I think he was, like his dad. Obviously not his true calling. Why would the name be on the boats if they weren't his? Curious who the man is though.

Starflite
02-16-2021, 07:31 PM
JIMBO and Bob Nagote built at least two of these "Goat Boats". Wilbur McDonald had nothing to do with these boats.

What does the goat part mean? I remember Bob. I wonder if he's still around.

Ron Hill
02-16-2021, 09:08 PM
I think he was, like his dad. Obviously not his true calling. Why would the name be on the boats if they weren't his? Curious who the man is though.

I did not think that was Wilbur, probably a customer.

Starflite
02-20-2021, 11:32 PM
I did not think that was Wilbur, probably a customer.

I found out that his name was Glenn and he was from Alaska. Does that ring any bells?