PDA

View Full Version : information on an F class Coutts hydroplane?

Speeditwin
01-13-2023, 10:27 AM
me and my brother recently got a mid 1960's Jim Coutts built F class racing hydroplane. we are looking to see if anybody knows any more information about these Coutts built hydroplanes. and if anybody has information on this particular boat that would be very appreciated, thanks

Speeditwin
09-24-2023, 06:50 PM
https://youtu.be/acXpEu-bRn8?si=M73IIB6zb9ECKcjj

Here's a video now that we have it running with a padded 55h

Dew1us
09-27-2023, 08:44 AM
Where did you pick the boat up? Did a motor come with it? My Father would have Knowledge on Jim Coutts.

rumleyfips
09-28-2023, 06:16 AM
I think Jon Stone won DSH at Beloit in a Coutts.

Jim Coutts had a pretty good DSH before he switched to A alky.

Coutts was a Konig, Keller and Record prop dealer as well as a boat builder.

Speeditwin
09-28-2023, 08:47 PM
Got it from a racer up by lake simcoe in Ontario Canada, he said he picked it up at a sale in New York somewhere.

Motor did not come with the boat, we found someone with a 55h from the seller of the boat

Speeditwin
09-28-2023, 08:49 PM
The seller did say it was originally run in D stock with a 55h.

I had heard Jon Stone had used a boat like this and always wondered if it could be his boat

Dew1us
09-29-2023, 01:03 PM
Jon was my dads business partner building boats. I knew him as Uncle Jon. I believe Jons' Coutts boats were always purple. Coutts lived in NY so it is possible that he purchased it new from him.

rumleyfips
09-29-2023, 01:12 PM
I think that one of Jon's D hydros was stained green , kind of see though.

Speeditwin
10-01-2023, 07:35 PM
Jon was my dads business partner building boats. I knew him as Uncle Jon. I believe Jons' Coutts boats were always purple. Coutts lived in NY so it is possible that he purchased it new from him.

he did not purchase it new from new york, probably about 6-7 years ago it was purchased from an estate, it was stored in a barn since the 80's

It would make sense that coutts sold keller stuff as the boat has all matching keller hardware.

Speeditwin
10-01-2023, 07:39 PM
underside and photo with motor

zul8tr
10-02-2023, 05:12 AM
Looks good after all those years. Next time out would like to see a fly by at max speed. Interesting sponson chine and bottom planking rear curve shape On the turn fin why builder tucked it in so far that left turn spray will hit the rear chine side plywood, not clean turn spay more drag? I see fin removed in latest pic, unless you want to keep boat original consider moving it out more for clean fin spray ?

Happy safe running

Ketzer
10-02-2023, 11:54 AM
Ditto on the fly-by at max speed...while planting butt at the back of the boat.

Speeditwin
10-03-2023, 06:41 AM
Looks good after all those years. Next time out would like to see a fly by at max speed. Interesting sponson chine and bottom planking rear curve shape On the turn fin why builder tucked it in so far that left turn spray will hit the rear chine side plywood, not clean turn spay more drag? I see fin removed in latest pic, unless you want to keep boat original consider moving it out more for clean fin spray ?

Happy safe running

Will have a video once I've actually ran at max speed, want to get used to the boat first.

It is an interesting shape, the surface getting smaller at the back probably contributes to the fin being so far inwards. if we wanted it further out we'd likely need a different fin so ill probably leave it for now unless its a problem

zul8tr
10-03-2023, 08:25 AM
Good idea to get used to the boat before serious top speed runs.

The fin where it presently is should not be a problem but it will not give clean water off fin blade in a turn. When used to boat at speed make left turns at top speed and see what happens with the water spray off the fin and see how much water the rear chine carries with the fin spray. Ideal is to have minimal left turn fin spray hit the rear chine which is more drag and also tends to lift the boat (rotate CW) to port and forces right side of boat down. Plus clean fin spray looks cool! ;-)

When the fin is remounted measure how deep the blade is below the sponson bottom.

Your present fin could be useable to move out: depends on dimensions and blade hole and other details, in turns how deep the fin is needed in the water, if adequate rear sponson back wood is available to secure fin bracket.

My hydro set up optimum (Avatar) carried no fin in the water in the straights in the turns I would move forward some and lean left some and sink the fin to grab, fin set far outboard. Hydros need to run at speed with sponsons off the water.

Be safe and safety first and have a rescue boat. In the video you have no helmut get a good one.

Speeditwin
10-04-2023, 03:55 PM
Didn't realize it would rotate the boat like that, you can sort of feel it doing that though.

The location of the drain plug is the real problem as the fin has a cut out for the plug hole, fin is about 2.5"-3" below the boat. Wow didn't realize all the hydros would run like that haha, seems like a fun ride sponsors out. As it is feeling the lift of the boat and acceleration is already pretty crazy to me.

Will be getting a better jacket and helmet next year as we have only had it running since labor day

zul8tr
10-05-2023, 10:40 AM
There is a lot of upward force off that fin spray especially at speed that hits the rear chine and causes some CW boat rotation to dip the right side down influencing turning.

The fin assembly can be made to fit outboard on the sponson back and the 90 degree fin angle bracket can be secured just above the drain hole. Just have to make the bracket and fin to suit your boat. I have it that way on my hydro with the drain hole just below the bottom of the 90 degree bracket and the fin blade is designed to be vertically adjustable with several holes in it to suit the boat drivability in turns and clear of water in the straights. Each boat is different and good testing resolves issues.

Can send sketch if interested.

There needs to be adequate wood thickness on the inside sponson back to secure the fin bracket. Bolts are best with back fender washers if you can get your hands in there if lightening hole is in in port coaming near the dash board?

Speeditwin
10-09-2023, 09:19 PM
here is the fin on the boat. it could definitely be moved, i see what you mean about the spray forcing one side up.

Speeditwin
10-09-2023, 09:23 PM
Where did you pick the boat up? Did a motor come with it? My Father would have Knowledge on Jim Coutts.

do you have any photos of other coutts boats, or racers with them?

this boat appears to have been all red before the previous owner painted the white on the front.

Dew1us
10-11-2023, 10:22 AM

These were some of the Stones Couts Crafts. And they were green not purple as I originally thought.

zul8tr
10-11-2023, 10:44 AM
Referring to sponson fin in post #17 you said:
"here is the fin on the boat. it could definitely be moved, i see what you mean about the spray forcing one side up."

Yes the fin can be moved outboard above the drain hole and be adequately clear of the rear chine top edge. Would need to not use that present fin with the clamp style bracket to secure the fin. I used for the bracket a 90 degree radius inside corner 1/4" thick alum (length dependent on boat specific dimensions) with one leg facing inward and secured to the sponson back the other angle leg faces rearward and the fin is secured to the inside face of that angle leg. The fin blade is made of 1/4" alum of proper shape and length.

If interested in I can send a design sketch and pics of what is on my hydro which is essentially same a s described above.

rumleyfips
10-13-2023, 07:23 AM
Kind of fuzzy but I think that's Jon in the ragged cutoff jeans and maybe Pat Davids waving.I can't figure out where that is although I was probably there.

rumleyfips
10-13-2023, 03:36 PM
I wonder how long that boat is. An F should be 14 feet.

Speeditwin
10-13-2023, 11:12 PM

These were some of the Stones Couts Crafts. And they were green not purple as I originally thought.

Those are some beautiful boats, I see the same aluminum plates for the transom on those as well so I guess that's original too

I am shocked at the originality of the boat we got, usually hydro's have been messed with to the moon and back, this one doesn't seem like that.

He also had the inward placed turn fin, wonder if that was just a coutts thing

Seems Jon Stone had mostly C's and D's in that photo,

Do you know anything about that black and white coutts in the background? Has a similar cowl and front to mine

As well any more photos of boats or racing would be highly appreciated :)

Speeditwin
10-13-2023, 11:13 PM

This is a short F at 12 feet exactly, at least I've been told it's an F

Speeditwin
10-13-2023, 11:30 PM
Referring to sponson fin in post #17 you said:
"here is the fin on the boat. it could definitely be moved, i see what you mean about the spray forcing one side up."

Yes the fin can be moved outboard above the drain hole and be adequately clear of the rear chine top edge. Would need to not use that present fin with the clamp style bracket to secure the fin. I used for the bracket a 90 degree radius inside corner 1/4" thick alum (length dependent on boat specific dimensions) with one leg facing inward and secured to the sponson back the other angle leg faces rearward and the fin is secured to the inside face of that angle leg. The fin blade is made of 1/4" alum of proper shape and length.

If interested in I can send a design sketch and pics of what is on my hydro which is essentially same a s described above.

Photos would be useful, won't be driving or working on the boat until next year but any set up tips are appreciated 👍

zul8tr
10-16-2023, 03:56 AM
Photos would be useful, won't be driving or working on the boat until next year but any set up tips are appreciated ��

Sent you a PM

zul8tr
10-18-2023, 03:14 AM
Photos would be useful, won't be driving or working on the boat until next year but any set up tips are appreciated ��

Sent you another PM this day

rumleyfips
10-20-2023, 07:13 AM
There's a couple more pictures on Facebook, Boat Racing Facts group, Kev Daly at top of page. That is Pat Davids in the picture above.

rumleyfips
10-20-2023, 07:14 AM
There's a couple more pictures on Facebook, Boat Racing Facts group, Kev Daly at top of page. That is Pat Davids in the picture above.

rumleyfips
10-20-2023, 07:17 AM
Sorry. Click on the photo of Jon in recent media on the right.

zul8tr
10-20-2023, 09:44 AM
Sorry. Click on the photo of Jon in recent media on the right.

Some help to facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/218046784907797/

zul8tr
10-22-2023, 09:07 AM
Photos would be useful, won't be driving or working on the boat until next year but any set up tips are appreciated 👍

On 10/20 I sent via emails 7 pics and making fin with location details did you get them?

Speeditwin
10-22-2023, 02:30 PM

It's 12 feet so maybe it is a D boat, I was wondering if you would maybe have any photos or information on the gas tank that would mount in the back of the boat?

Speeditwin
10-22-2023, 02:31 PM
Got them, just been at the cottage with spotty reception

John Schubert T*A*R*T
10-23-2023, 06:40 AM
It's 12 feet so maybe it is a D boat, I was wondering if you would maybe have any photos or information on the gas tank that would mount in the back of the boat?

A 12’ boat would be a C or D alky boat to that Era. DSH boats were typically 11’ & CSH boats about 10’ 6”as the Sid-Crafts & Sid-Sons were. Marchetti’s we’re about the same give or take an inch or so.

rumleyfips
10-23-2023, 08:55 AM
I know Jim Coutts ran A alky, but I can't remember if he ran B .

John Schubert T*A*R*T
10-23-2023, 09:16 AM

Yes he did remember it well, but he never beat me HaHa

Speeditwin
10-23-2023, 06:22 PM
A 12’ boat would be a C or D alky boat to that Era. DSH boats were typically 11’ & CSH boats about 10’ 6”as the Sid-Crafts & Sid-Sons were. Marchetti’s we’re about the same give or take an inch or so.

Oh wow, a C/D alky would be cool to have, I didn't realize that would be this type of boat.

I guess I don't have to worry much about running my D stock 55h on this

it's a very solid handling boat, feels very good.

It was repaired once for sure as there is new wood for the steering wheel and a lot of nails and fiberglass in one part of the bottom

Sponsors and rear 4 feet are square and flat

Speeditwin
10-23-2023, 06:22 PM

Know of any C/D alky racers that used a Coutts craft hull??

WaltZucher
12-06-2023, 07:15 AM
I think Jon Stone won DSH at Beloit in a Coutts.

Jim Coutts had a pretty good DSH before he switched to A alky.
https://eldfall-chronicles.com/product-category/miniatures/class/sentinel/
Coutts was a Konig, download poker android (https://swcpoker.club/download) Keller and Record prop dealer as well as a boat builder.

Thanks for the history lesson! It's like uncovering the tales of racing legends.

rumleyfips
02-25-2024, 08:04 AM
There's a picture of Jim Coutts with Crescent power in the Kay Harrison Collection thread.