PDA

View Full Version : From the fiftys

Gstillwill
12-16-2005, 03:56 PM
This started over on hydroracer and wanted to post the pictures here from the fiftys. This is where my Dad got started in racing. There were club races on the Delaware River in Philly put on by the Delaware River Yachtsmen's League, heres some pics of my Dad and the trophys he won in the Delaware River Yachtsmen's League in ASH and BSH the year was 1954. One is from Millville when it was call Winding River Yacht Club and was the only APBA race in Region Three back then.

Gstillwill
12-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Two more are from one of the river races not much for pits they lowered the boats on the angle thing to the right with a cable. There was always big boats anchored in the middle of the course to. The other two are from testing the boat was new and so was the 20H first time in the water for both. At that time we tested just a couple blocks from where Bud Pinto lived.

Tomtall
12-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Great pictures and storys! Thanks for sharing.I remember the Propeller issue very well that I posted of your dad.I was a 7th grader at the time and looked forward to getting my next issue.I thought that boat and engine was just the coolest display back then. Nice to see your father lived his passion of boat racing and shared it with everyone.:cool:

Gstillwill
12-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Thanks Tom after Dad quit racing he was an inspector and Ref. He was the Ref for the Dayton Nats in 1975 which I think was the bigest Nats ever as far as entrys. What was cool I ran Dayton this year which was thirty years since he Refed that race wish he could have been there he pasted away in 1993. Here are some pics from Millville NJ from 1955 and 1956 they always gave out nice trophys there and still have them on the wall down stairs in the den.

hydroc888
12-16-2005, 10:01 PM
Great to see actual boat racing pics, that dont have the dreaded Y...... motors on them The death of boat racing as it was.
Jack