PDA

View Full Version : Michelini/Chrysler world record attempt

brichter
01-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Does anyone have any info on Joe Michelini's attempt at the outboard speed record with a Chrysler powerhead on a Hydro?

Miss BK
01-05-2006, 05:38 PM
is this the one?

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=299538

Mark75H
01-05-2006, 05:52 PM
No, thats neither Joe nor a Chrysler ;) but it is a boat built from Joe's plans

brichter
01-05-2006, 11:07 PM
I had heard that he ran 122 at the kilos. I don't know the year or if that ever made the record books. Apparently an attempt to answer the OMC starflite effort?? The powerhead he built was heavily prototyped with 4 carbs made by splicing two 75 horse crankcase fronts.

Mark75H
01-06-2006, 06:40 AM
The story is starting to sound like a lot of different stories spliced together.

Chrysler wasn't in the outboard business until 1966 when Starflite IV was already running over 130. When Chrysler did get into racing Jack Oxley, Danny Snead and Bob Kies handled the factory racing program. Years before that Scott built a record attempt boat with a motor built up from their 75hp triple and it used a special front case that had 6 carbs instead of 3. Bill Tenney was involved in that effort, but I don't think they ever got it going over 90 mph. If Michellini was involved with that boat that may be what brings his name into it. Chrysler racers did set drag race records in the 120+ range with dual motors.

Of course, none of this rules out Michellini giving it a try at some point and he surely was known for grafting motor parts together.

If anyone can find any info about Michellini building such a record attempt rig I would like to know about it as well. :)

proprider
01-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Joe did attempt a record. He tested the outfit at our place on Paw Paw Lake in Southwestern Michigan. He did not want competitors to see his testing. Joe was friends with my uncle Joe Schulte and Don Deam, two boat racers and they had invited him out to Paw Paw Lake for testing. I was too young to understand what was going on but I believe the boat was a cabover design and he was using a Chrysler motor. Could have been a prototype motor.

Michellini would come out and test, then go back to Chicago and make changes to the boat and come back for more testing, etc.

Charlie Pater