PDA

View Full Version : Need more spd

ponyboy
01-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Hi, I need 5mph more out of my boat. 65 glassparg3,77 85hp merc W/trim
runnin a 14x22 small ear chopper,cav plate 1" or so above the bottom of the hull.
Also I have some chine walk problems with a full load of fuel in the rear and centerd. it goes away when its down to 3-4 gallons
I dont know the gear ratio.
I know this boat is not the usual boat on this site but you guy's know everything?

Mark75H
01-05-2006, 05:20 PM
You need to buy a tach and learn your motor rpm.

Your gear ratio is 2.3:1

How fast are you going now? 35? 40? 45? The slower you are going the more likely you are to find another 5 mph ... the faster you already are the less likely more speed is possible.

Since you have trim you can optimize the tilt angle under way ... a very good start

How much does your boat weigh now (exactly)? What is the weight listed in the 1965 sales brochure? Your boat may be waterlogged; carrying an extra 200 to 400 pounds of hidden water in the core.

ponyboy
01-05-2006, 06:13 PM
I rebuilt the boat from the ground up..it has hollow glass stringers, weight from the G3 site varries from 375-400 lbs, I used racing seats 2 (fiberglass) short buckets, and no wind screen,
Tach reads 6k rpms when I get low on fuel,I weigh 195, 2 six gal fuel tanks for now, Trim is a dole manual pump hyd. tilt system,20 lbs?
it will run up to 49.9 on gps but usualy 47-48
I have an extra 75 merc 115 lower witch i think is a 2:1 g/r
I have a short 12 sec. avi I could send to a web add. I dont know how to post it or a url etc.

Mark75H
01-05-2006, 06:17 PM
49 is screaming in a G-3! Your hard work has paid off very well!! I very much doubt you will find 5 more, esp with your 85 :(

ponyboy
01-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Well crap........I already went through a truck load of props and this was the 3rd one I tried....still Its a fun boat to fly around the lakes here in central IN.
Thanks for the help!...on to the next boat....lol

Mark75H
01-05-2006, 09:43 PM
I thought you said you had a '77 85hp ??? ;)

hydroc888
01-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Seems to me the guy would know what year his motor is . Maybe a year off one way or the other. Dont matter. Seems to me that it is great that a non boatracer can feel comfortable asking questions about how to make his own boat go faster on this site. Maybe next year he will find an old used up race boat and get to racing. Last and first pays the same in club racing. All for the fun of it.

Fast Fred
01-06-2006, 05:51 AM
move the full gas cans around in the boat, see if ya can bal' it out , dull the chine walk:cool:

Mark75H
01-06-2006, 06:47 AM
Seems to me the guy would know what year his motor is . Maybe a year off one way or the other. Dont matter. Seems to me that it is great that a non boatracer can feel comfortable asking questions about how to make his own boat go faster on this site. Maybe next year he will find an old used up race boat and get to racing. Last and first pays the same in club racing. All for the fun of it.True, but the picture shows a 67 or so 65 horse motor. If he moved up from the 65 to the 85 that's cool, but he didn't say so ... its a big jump. Running 49~ with a 65 on a G-3 is an even more impressive feat! ... that is where I was going with that comment.

Ted March
01-06-2006, 07:57 AM
RE: Chine walk
From the pictures:
1.Two tanks, one in the center and the other on the port side along with the battery. None of this tied down. Put one tank on the centerline. Put the other tank starboard and the battery port as close to the centerline as possible and tie everything down. This will cost virtually zero money.

2. Put in dual steering, either same side or opposite (prefered) to take the play out of the steering. This will run into some bucks. If you can run her straight without chine walking, you might (operative word is might) be alble to squeeze a little more out of her.

RE: Speed:
Get your self a light, inexpensive manual jack plate and play with transom heights and propellers, as many as you beg, borrow or steal. And remember that a prop that works at one height may not necessarily work at another.

Do not discount a propeller until you have thoroughy tested it at all heights you are testing

Many years ago I was running 28 choppers on my Vulture/235. All seemed to be in the 82/83 mph range and ran about the same height, I had a hydraulic jack plate and could set any height I wanted and change it whille underway. Ron sent me a 30 cleaver. Put it on and ran the same 83 mph at the same height as the choppers. After a few runs at 83 mph, I lowered the motor quite a bit and started a leisurely trip back to the trailer. I got bored and nailed it and the Medallion went up to 87 and blew out. Fastest I had ever gone. It was dumb luck that I found the potential in that prop. The point is, it did not like chopper heights. It's sweet spot was over an inch lower. Had I not accidently found it, I would have put it in the shop as just another 83 mph prop. Turned out to be my best top end prop at that time.

So, balance the boat and tie the stuff down. Take the play out of the steering and TEST. Maybe something good will happen.

Tomtall
01-06-2006, 02:13 PM
And don't forget if your motor is remoted back much with a jack plate your steering cables may be to short. Kill two birds with one stone and get a duel cable steering kit with the proper lenghth cable to go with your set back. Had a good friend with a Glastron v-16 with 115 inline. Boat ran 55mph. We install a manual jack plate with 10" of remote and transom mounted low water p/u, installed a chopper prop and ran 68 mph.
He was :D

ponyboy
01-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Yea I set it up to look like a 67, 650ss....we have a new set of rent@cops and DNR on this lake.........what a pain. the boat is rated at 55 hp? and they like to show how smart they are.
If you look close youl see the lack of the chrome mohawk on top and the upper an lower pans have no 1" chrome stripe, I added a chrome pin stripe to the wrap and the lower bolt cover is also a 66 peice.and the face is a 68...lol
I picked up a set of solid mounts and a fuel cell. And plan to get at it this spring. I have only had it wet about 6 times..lol the first time the steering was backasswards, yes I got the steering off a left steer boat..Ha Ha Ha
what a ride that was........
I'll post a pic of my other lil boat,You guys might like it a little better anyway.

Tom Mitchell
01-06-2006, 10:51 PM
I think that you are doing great with what you are running. If the chine walk goes away when you are low on fuel, I agree that you probably can improve the balance. Have you tried more setback?

I had a new G3 , a 61 model I believe and I ran Merc 700 and 800's on it. If yours was a early model with the center deck like mine you would probably be getting close to that 55 mph if you ran it from the back. I found mine always ran best in the 5th tilt pin hole even when driving from the back. I can't remember just how high I was running the motor but I was using a stock 2 blade bronze prop with lots of cup and it was hard to get on plane. I had to bounce it three or four times to finally get it on plane. When running it from the back I had the chine walk problem also but if I put the windsheld back on the the problem went away but with the loss of about 1mph. I finally tied a bungee cord to the lift handle on the back of the motor and stretched it over to a eye bolt on the left side of the transom. Although this was very unsafe it did take all the slop out of the steering and stopped the chine walk with out the windshield.

You have a real fun boat and I am envious. How does the wooden boat run?

Tom

ponyboy
01-07-2006, 08:18 AM
the wood boat is....well its a freek ride at this time, it has a porpoise problem
that needs fixed....lol, we call her slappy.. I didnt build her and hope to flip her this summer and work on the hull, I will be on here askin questions on just how to fix this after I get it un rigged and bottom side up, I spread some bondo on the last 2" about 1/2 thick and it settled down but its tempory at best, I took it out last mounth and got the gps out and hit the gas and got a mile away from the ramp and she quit...I paddled 2 hrs into the wind...etc.
...yes when I got home she started right up.......merc's....lol
Is there a spd type lower for this ol 500?

Mark75H
01-07-2006, 09:47 AM
There is, but it will only work on very light boats (400 pounds total rig weight including driver).

Tom Mitchell
01-07-2006, 10:15 PM
the wood boat is....well its a freek ride at this time, it has a porpoise problem
that needs fixed....lol, we call her slappy.. I didnt build her and hope to flip her this summer and work on the hull, I will be on here askin questions on just how to fix this after I get it un rigged and bottom side up, I spread some bondo on the last 2" about 1/2 thick and it settled down but its tempory at best, I took it out last mounth and got the gps out and hit the gas and got a mile away from the ramp and she quit...I paddled 2 hrs into the wind...etc.
...yes when I got home she started right up.......merc's....lol
Is there a spd type lower for this ol 500?

I like your new Avatar. This is drifting away from G3 but I have a 1961 75 Scott also. If you are going to run this motor there is something I learned that you may not know and that is that the steering yoke that you attach the steering cables to can break. Mine did and I know of one other one that did also.

Tom

ponyboy
01-08-2006, 09:00 AM
Not alot of scott fans out there anymore, I have 3 complete runners and several in(parts) cond. I have 2 that take a steering cable so I wont have to use the cloths line type steering, I have 2 more G3's and plan on rigging one or more on them. I have been looking for a racing lower for years to install but I have only seen one for sale and I was out bid -ebay-.
I think they look the best on the ol G3,style wize.
If there was a class to run this boat I would be the 1st in line to GO!
But there is very little racing around here, and from what I have seen It is not possible to race this type boat anywhere!

Tom Mitchell
01-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Not alot of scott fans out there anymore, I have 3 complete runners and several in(parts) cond. I have 2 that take a steering cable so I wont have to use the cloths line type steering, I have 2 more G3's and plan on rigging one or more on them. I have been looking for a racing lower for years to install but I have only seen one for sale and I was out bid -ebay-.
I think they look the best on the ol G3,style wize.
If there was a class to run this boat I would be the 1st in line to GO!
But there is very little racing around here, and from what I have seen It is not possible to race this type boat anywhere!

That picture of your motors and boats made me feel young again!

The steering breakage that I spoke of happened during circle course racing on rough water so normal pleasure boat usage should be ok.

I agree that the G3 looks great with a Scott. When I had my G3 the only class that I could race in was unlimited 1 as it was too short. The 100 hp motors were out by that time and I traded my G3 and Merc 700 for a Merc 1000 and went to a wood boat.

I can not remember the name but there is a fellow that posts on Scream and Fly about his father's G3s. He might remember some of the secrets of a few more mph.

Tom