PDA

View Full Version : OPC Mod 90 class

brichter
02-14-2006, 12:27 PM
I''d like to share some pictures of some Mod 90 class racing from region 7 during the mid to late 70's.
Some people who raced at this time don't remember this class, it didn't have the exposure or factory support that classes like SST or mod 50 had.
These were taken in 1977 at a race in Rockford IL.
I'd appreciate any stories or photos that anybody has about this class of OPC racing.

Ray Lumpkin
03-04-2006, 08:45 AM
Mod 90 was popular here in region 4 also. I used a 100 BP with a T2 front half plus lot of other goddies. T 2 cowling with speedmaster unit. The boat is a 15 E & T marine tunnel bulit in Lexington Park Maryland by Beale Tilton & Bill Edwards.

Ted March
03-08-2006, 08:18 PM
With his permission

That boat was built in '73 for Jim Caldwell (in four work days). He won the Nationals against Mercury and OMC factory teams in UI. Also set the 5 mile closed course record and Hi Point Champ that year. The last race of the season Bobby Riker (not correct spelling) blew it over in Mays Landing big time. Funny thing is Bobby Drewy blew over Paul's' McCall a few minuets earlier running down the opposite straight. Jimmy had a beautiful series of 6 or 8 pictures of Bobby in the E & T. Anyway Mike Harris bought the boat and ran SJ. He barreled it at Sweden's Point Md. Don't know if he put it over more than that.
Then Ray bought it brought it back to us and we redecked it. This was the boat he blew over in Dayton while you and I were sitting together. No doubt in my mind he would have blown everyone away if he hadn't missed the start and then tried to pass everyone in the first lap.
Same old story, If in one hand and ---- in the other.

From TM:

One of the greats. And proud to be his friend.