PDA

View Full Version : The Great Marithon Races

Tomtall
01-01-2005, 01:23 PM
This thread is dedicated to all the great marathon races from the golden age of boat racing.I am starting this thread with a marathon race that is one of the last truely active marathon races left in the country for kneel-downs. It's the "Top'O Michigan" Marathon Race.http://www.mich-web.com/top-o-mich/ .Many great marathon races have gone to the wayside of lack of public waterway space and state and local agencys not granting permits to hold such races anymore. If you have any history of some great marathon race sites and race stories of the past,please feel free to share them with us,for the days of true Marathoning are truely behind us,and the need for them to be preserved on web sites like this is important so they are not forgotten.

Tomtall
01-01-2005, 02:56 PM
The following articles are courtisy of "Boatsport" magazine archives @ http://boatsport.org/

Tomtall
01-01-2005, 02:58 PM
The winners are!

Tomtall
01-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Always liked this cover picture from "Boat Sport". Sunday a.m.- aug. 27th -1952 FM class prepares for 130 mile race!

Tomtall
01-02-2005, 11:51 AM
More pics,from "Boat Sport".

Tomtall
01-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Another Great Marathon Race!

Tomtall
01-02-2005, 12:05 PM
Good Spectator Numbers!

Tomtall
01-02-2005, 01:59 PM
1000 islands marathon - New York

Tomtall
01-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Open attachments to read more.

Tomtall
01-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Note some of the names in this race.

Tomtall
01-02-2005, 02:12 PM

Tomtall
01-02-2005, 06:59 PM
Not a long race but just as hard on equipment.

Tomtall
01-02-2005, 08:19 PM
End of article -

Tomtall
01-02-2005, 08:22 PM
Hank B. shows how to do it.

Tomtall
01-02-2005, 08:25 PM
More pic's from Hank B.

Tomtall
01-03-2005, 09:28 AM
The inside story of running the Winnebagoland race.

Tomtall
01-03-2005, 09:36 AM
Open attachments for rest of story.

Tomtall
01-03-2005, 11:39 AM
14 miles of twisting water course.

Tomtall
01-03-2005, 11:42 AM
Open attachment for rest of story.

Tomtall
01-03-2005, 11:48 AM
More on one of the biggest marathons.

Tomtall
01-03-2005, 11:50 AM
And the winners are!

Tomtall
01-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Another Michigan favorite.

Tomtall
01-03-2005, 11:57 AM
End of article-

Powercat
01-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Somehow I don't think they would allow this sort of starting technique
in todays racing...... :rolleyes:

Ron Hill
02-11-2005, 09:46 AM
This was Denny and Dewey's Berghauer's winning rig...In '74 they required you to kill your engine at pit stops...once them T2X's swolled their reeds, they didn't like to refire...so, they didn't shut them off...who needs reeds??

Ron Hill
02-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Old newspaper article: That is the first Scotti built...All the rest had concaved tunnels at the front. What I was told by Fred Hauenstein, was that the concaved moved the lift back as the bow came up. This Scotti was fast as hell, but once the bow got so high, nothing stopped it, as I found out at Havasu....when I blew it over and busted it up pretty bad. It was repaired, Johnny Sanders took one ride and said he didn't want back in...It never was used by OMC after that one ride...of Sanders.

Tomtall
02-13-2005, 06:31 PM
This article courtisy of "Boatsport" magazine archives @ http://boatsport.org/

Tomtall
02-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Pages 2 & 3

Ron Hill
02-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Chicago 1968, Powerboat Magazine...

Tomtall
01-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Canada had its share of marithons. Here is a add from days gone by.

buff5
12-05-2006, 06:44 AM
I would like to know what year this event started. Also I know that a Mr Johnny Muller won it in B Class back in the early to mid 50's. Would like that information, I know he ran a Van Pelt (Spring Lake Michigan Boat), motor??? & also I would like to know where he lived at that time & whatever else I can find out???
Thanks

Tomtall
01-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Ronald (buff 5) -This marathon race is one of,if not,the oldest and still running,stock outboard marathon races in North America.Founded in 1948 by "Ed Maloney" and "Fred Hamslon",who were co-owners of the "Top-in-a-bee" resort motel.The race was named after their motel,originally.

Your best bet to find out about your friend Johnny would be to search old articles in the "Boat Sport" magazine http://boatsport.org/ archives of that time.They may have results posted for that race,at that time line. Good Luck!

Eirc - Very cool on getting your jacket at Christmas! If you get a chance post some pics of it.:cool:

Fast Fred
01-04-2007, 05:13 PM
"The Top of the B", yup, that what the old timer said, a long time ago at a Place they called The stab and shoot saloon, i stop in there every time i go.:eek: :cool:

buff5
02-11-2007, 04:37 AM
I finally tracked down Mr Johnny Mueller & he still lives near Spring Lake, Michigan. He won Top-o-Michigan & the 100 Mile Gull Lake, Michigan Marathon in 1953 running a Mercury KG7H & a Van Pelt Racing Scooter which was built at Spring Lake, Michigan. He also went on to win many more races in later model Van Pelt racing boats. I believe all in "b" class.

Tomtall
02-11-2007, 06:23 AM
Ronald - Thant's great you made your contact with Mueller. You mentioned the Gull Lake 100 mile marithon race in your post. At the time my uncle helped put those races on. The pits were based out of Wilkinson's marine,one of three marina's on the bay of the lake. I still have conversation with my uncle about those races on the lake I still boat on and live 5 miles from. He just turned 95 and has told me in great detail how grueling a race it was. The lake itself is 5 miles long by approx. 1/2 to 3/4 mile wide. That made for quit a few laps on a lake that at times, could have 2 foot white caps. I remember he told me at the end of the race they had ambulance personel on site to help the racers get out of their boats and tend to their woehs. It's one of the old forgotten marithons of the 1950's. It would be very cool to see a re-run of on this lake. Unfortunetly it's all developed with big buck lake homes and no real good spot to pit out of. They also had some unlimited races held on this lake as well.If anybody has any more history or pic's of this marithon from the past please share them.

The first picture is of the lake and how it looks today. The second one is of my relitives enjoying my uncles boat on the lawn of our cottage on the lake during that time period.

buff5
02-11-2007, 06:39 AM
Tomtall: Thanks for the picture of Gull Lake, yes, there are VERY few that remember that race today. I do not know how to post a picture on here but I am now deep into a restoration on a VERY rare 1950 Van Pelt "Racing Scooter". A boat identicle to the one that Johnny won the Top-O-Michigan Marathon in 53, it at this time, is the ONLY one known to still exist. It was built as a "A" boat, (9' 6" long), but could handle a B motor as well & of course is of the Phillipine Ocume Plywood construction with double cockpit. The unique thing about the Van Pelts was there were NO ribs as it was built with the "stressed plywood" Moulded bottom which was actually a two piece bottom sandwiched together. The inner bottom was only a partial bottom in the rear of the boat. If you send me your e-mail location I can forward the pics of the boat & you can post them on this board if you wish.
Thanks
buff10@charter.net

Mark75H
02-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Isn't Bruce Hazekamp the grandson of Van Pelt? Bruce is a member here on BRF.

MN1
02-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Tomtall: It was built as a "A" boat, (9' 6" long), but could handle a B motor as well & of course is of the Phillipine Ocume Plywood construction with double cockpit. The unique thing about the Van Pelts was there were NO ribs as it was built with the "stressed plywood" buff10@charter.net

Stressed skin construction is very strong, airplanes and even capsules are built this way.
My first wood working project used this construction. A book case with shelves spanning 5 feet with no vertical support and made from 1/4" plywood.
It's the distance between the 1/4" plywood that makes it so strong, about 1.375" in my case.
Mark Nelson

Tomtall
08-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Well I had to go back in the archives and bring this thread back to life I started back when BRF was just a baby. The family and I have our family vacation planed around the Top'O race this year with relatives comming in from near and far to watch our son Adam get the crap pounded out of him for two days running the long courses this year. He ran the short "J" course last year. Says he is up to running with the big guys this year. We will see what he thinks after the Saturday race. We let him get his feet wet at Trenton,Mi. running the marithon there. He got baptised by the Detroit river with only 5 minutes left on the clock.(barrel rolled in turn 1). Hope to see some of you BRF members there this year. The picture below was the marithon boat at Trenton. Thanks to Jim Bellmer and his family for helping Adam run the marithons this year.

Tomtall
08-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Dave - Please do not break into our house when we are gone this time.Last time all the Labates Blue was gone when I got home.:D Beware I have someone staying at the house this time.;) I told Adam to just finish this year in one piece.Anything more is a bonus.

Skoontz
08-13-2007, 01:17 PM
Mr. C runabout, Daryl Sorenson is running there.... At 65 years young, he is simply amazing to watch and I can't imagine 3 hours on my knees at 65.....

Good Luck to all!!!!!!

Tomtall
08-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Skoontz - Darrell is amazing. My wife and I had the opportunity to meet him and his wife at Wakefield last year at the nationals. No fancy motor homes for Darrell. They pitched thier tent and stayed the week to watch the action.Then went to the Top'O race the following week and pit crewed for several racers durring the week, repaired the hole in my sons Sorenson he got at Wakefield and also worked on his own boat.Then went out and raced the marithon. The guy is like the Energizer bunny. Oh did I mention he is nice also.

Skoontz
08-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Tom:

Daryl took KT and I over to his shop when we ran Chowchilla. KT wants one of his hydros....I'm leaning toward a Dawe. She loves the way Karissa Carlsons rode around the course....

Both builders are incredible....Sidetracked the thread here, but, yeah Daryl is Mr. C runabout...No question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Detroit Whitey
08-13-2007, 05:14 PM
My frist time at top o i saw this old man pull up to the beach and was shocked. there were 4ft waves! i asked him how long he had been racing this race and told me a very long time and i think he side in the same boat now that just kicks butt! cant wait hope to see you guys there.O yhea hey Dave i need a new battery how do i get one from ya? the one i have is like 5yrs old and just dont tank a charge anymore let me Know TOP O ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!:D

David Mason
08-14-2007, 10:12 AM
My frist time at top o i saw this old man pull up to the beach and was shocked. there were 4ft waves! i asked him how long he had been racing this race and told me a very long time and i think he side in the same boat now that just kicks butt! cant wait hope to see you guys there.O yhea hey Dave i need a new battery how do i get one from ya? the one i have is like 5yrs old and just dont tank a charge anymore let me Know TOP O ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Need a battery, give me a holler. We can hook up some where. I might try coming up to Indian River this weekend, not sure yet. I was gonna watch this year. The boat I had lined up is not going to work. Also could not come up with a stocker engine to run. Some time I will make this race though, borrow beg or whatever, some time I will!!

Phone - H 269-965-8406
Cell 269-420-1118

Might be able to send one up with Lowes if you are going to Top O.

David Mason
08-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Well Tom, next time don't leave all the Blue in the beer fridge in the garage !! Everyone knows people don't have locks on their fridges ! :D :D

jeff55vDSH
08-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Some time I will make this race though, borrow beg or whatever, some time I will!!

Dave, Thats the exact attitude I had for 15 years before I finally got it done. It was a dream come true! I sure hope you can make it next year for the 60th annual running. Can you imagine they've been running Top 'O since 1948!
Here's a pic I took when I arrived Friday afternoon. I looked at the lake and said: "HOLY CR**!" Fortunatly, the wind died down nicely for Saturday and Sunday.

Also: I often times joke around with my wife about moving elsewhere. When we arrived at Indian River I started it up with her again. Everything there is beautiful! The lakes, rivers, the whole town! Think I'm exaggerating? Here's a pic of Indian River. I took this picture the day before Top 'O. The next pic is one of the Missisippi river one week later in my hometown area of the Quad Cities. It was taken with my phone camera, rather than my Sony digital, but, I think you get the point.

I am hooked 100% on The Top 'O Michigan Marathon! See you there next year!

David Mason
08-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Dave, Thats the exact attitude I had for 15 years before I finally got it done. It was a dream come true! I sure hope you can make it next year for the 60th annual running. Can you imagine they've been running Top 'O since 1948!
Here's a pic I took when I arrived Friday afternoon. I looked at the lake and said: "HOLY CR**!" Fortunatly, the wind died down nicely for Saturday and Sunday.

Also: I often times joke around with my wife about moving elsewhere. When we arrived at Indian River I started it up with her again. Everything there is beautiful! The lakes, rivers, the whole town! Think I'm exaggerating? Here's a pic of Indian River. I took this picture the day before Top 'O. The next pic is one of the Missisippi river one week later in my hometown area of the Quad Cities. It was taken with my phone camera, rather than my Sony digital, but, I think you get the point.

I am hooked 100% on The Top 'O Michigan Marathon! See you there next year!

Welcome to Michigan's up North. The scenery is breath taking from about Big Rapids all the way north. It only gets better the further North you go from the state line. I snowmobile up there in Indian River, so I am very familiar with the area. I know it is beautiful. And it is only a few hours drive !

So I guess I better start putting feelers out for next year. Anyone got a D they would let run there ?

Mini Max
12-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Top 'O Michigan Web site? It was a blog for the racers. I saw one last year but cannot find it now. Anyone have it?

jeff55vDSH
12-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Top 'O Michigan Web site? It was a blog for the racers. I saw one last year but cannot find it now. Anyone have it?

http://www.marathonnationals.com/Welcome.html

Once you're there, follow the link labeled "TOMORC FORUM"

CSR4C
12-02-2008, 06:35 PM
The Stockton to Redding (CA) marathons were held in '55 & '56. 316 miles. DU did it in one day, the other classes in 2 days. Jack Terrell ran it one year and finished 4th in AU, he won a waffle iron.
I have copies of the circulars in the computer, but can't get them to copy.

In 2006 I got to race in the Guayaquil to Vinces, Ecuador marathon. I made a wrong turn, as soon as I got to Tarita I knew I was on the wrong path as the town was absoultey deserted, every must have went to Samborandon to watch the race. I almost made it to Salitre when the engine quit due to dirt in the fuel tank. None the less I had a great time. http://www.vincesnautico.freeservers.com/gyevinces.html

Darrell

brichter
07-15-2011, 06:54 PM
[QUOTE=David Mason;39205]Welcome to Michigan's up North. The scenery is breath taking from about Big Rapids all the way north. It only gets better the further North you go from the state line. I snowmobile up there in Indian River, so I am very familiar with the area. I know it is beautiful. And it is only a few hours drive ! QUOTE]

I am going through that area on a trip soon, unfortunately it will not be during Top 'O...
Can you recommend any "must see" places in the Indian River area to stop and look around, even if only briefly? Any good historic or natural landmarks anyone can recommend are appreciated.

David Mason
07-19-2011, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=David Mason;39205]Welcome to Michigan's up North. The scenery is breath taking from about Big Rapids all the way north. It only gets better the further North you go from the state line. I snowmobile up there in Indian River, so I am very familiar with the area. I know it is beautiful. And it is only a few hours drive ! QUOTE]

I am going through that area on a trip soon, unfortunately it will not be during Top 'O...
Can you recommend any "must see" places in the Indian River area to stop and look around, even if only briefly? Any good historic or natural landmarks anyone can recommend are appreciated.

IDon’t know of any historic landmarks you can visit while there. But I can tell you if you have a truck and like to drive down two tracks, simply look around for the fire lanes, and logging roads. Snowmobile trails in the summer are usually seasonal roads. So you can driver around in the middle of nature. There are a TON of small lakes and streams, hiking could be never ending if you like that. The forest is very pretty.

If you travel north a little you can visit the historic sites in Mackinaw. Fort Michimacnac (sp) is a great tour and the fort still stands on the Lakes edge. Lots of battle grounds around there. You can also travel to Mackinaw Island. That is nice. Takes you back to a simpler time. No internal combustion engines allowed. Everything is horse and buggy, but modern enough for luxury in the Grand hotel.

In Indian River there is an Elk Viewing tour, not sure if they run it in the summer months or not. Another thing you could do, is rent a pontoon in Indian River for the day, and run the marathon course. Or cruise all day up to Lake Huron and back. The lakes connect to the Cheboygan River and that takes you all the way out to Lake Huron. I don't suggest you take the pontoon onto Lake Huron as it is prolly to rough.

Skip Baker
12-13-2011, 01:28 PM

Does anyone have any pictures from the Cranberry Lake marathon in 1965 Thanks Skip Baker

Ron Hill
12-14-2016, 07:43 PM
My dad was Motor Inspector that year, his picture is there in a black and white striped shirt. Bobby Switzer was first overall, but his sealed Mark 40 had raised reed and did not pass inspection. Bobby never blamed my dad for the disqualification.