PDA

View Full Version : Dean Pink

Ron Hill
02-27-2006, 06:55 PM
I really don't KNOW Dean Pink....but when we talk on the phone or are together, it is like we have been friends all our lives...Dean taught school.. Dean worked for Yamaha Marine. Dean has his own marine business...

When Chad ran Formula One in 1996-97...Dean (in Florida) helped Chad, along with Randy Peirson (in Minnesota), over the phone build Chad's Formula One motor... A motor than ran very well..Dean gave Chad pistons...and a block...never asked for a DIME...It was for a KID....Dean did tell me, that I had to take care not to get Chad hurt....never dreaming that it would be Jimmy Hauenstein who would be more than injured....

After we "DROPPED OUT" of Formula One, Dean and I didn't talk as much as we had. He and his wife had a baby....Hell, the child must be 15 by now...I'm sure if I called him, we'd pick up right where I left off...and that was he was needing more speed from his twin engine Yamaha boat...

Bruce Washburn posted the other day....Bill Curtis was reading an old 1984 Powerboat and said is Dean Pink related to Ed Pink?? No, I said, "Why."... He said, "Hell there is this article about Deran Pink and Bob Cox setting a Mississippi River record...Actually, September 1983...Yamaha outboard on the cover...Dean must NOT have worked for Yamaha then...

**** for pictures, will retake thme tomorrow when it isn't raining.

Ron Hill
03-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Up the Mississippi in a Bass Boat with a Johnson...Damn, need a lot of beer before I'd try that!

spn#43
03-01-2006, 03:58 PM
May 2003 Lake Alfred race

Dean Pink -The Wizard- giving me a lesson about boat set up.
It would be hard to find somebody with more knowledge in Mercury and racing in general.

BLACKHAWK 1
11-12-2006, 08:29 AM
Dean worked on engines for Ken Olsen in the late 1970s and early 80s. He was very helpful and did some work for us (BLACKHAWK Racing), Chambers and Withrow in the late 1980s. You'll never find a ncier gentleman in all of boat racing. He worked hard, smiled always and did first class work, usually for nothing or next to it. I've always been proud to call Dean Pink a friend.

Jack Withrow

John Schubert T*A*R*T
11-14-2006, 07:50 AM
Dean worked on engines for Ken Olsen in the late 1970s and early 80s. He was very helpful and did some work for us (BLACKHAWK Racing), Chambers and Withrow in the late 1980s. You'll never find a ncier gentleman in all of boat racing. He worked hard, smiled always and did first class work, usually for nothing or next to it. I've always been proud to call Dean Pink a friend.

Jack Withrow

Hi Jack, didn't realize that you were on here. I'm the older John Schubert, not the son of Bob from Texas. I'm sure you remeber me, a friend of Charlie Monts d Oca & raced with Leigh Furnal in 45.

Good hearing from you.

John

BLACKHAWK 1
11-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Hi Jack, didn't realize that you were on here. I'm the older John Schubert, not the son of Bob from Texas. I'm sure you remeber me, a friend of Charlie Monts d Oca & raced with Leigh Furnal in 45.

Good hearing from you.

John

Of course I remember you John, great to hear from you.

Jack

Ron Hill
11-15-2006, 11:51 PM
Dean was a school teacher before he went to work for Yamaha Outboards. Now he owns Wizard Marine. My son, Chad, only met Dean once in Miami at the Miami Boat Show.

When we "HOOKED UP" with Arcadian Motorsports and were going to run the Formula One Series in 1997, Chad wanted to build his own engines..He was 19, maybe too young to be driving Formula One, but wanting to build his own engines..Well...

He was building an engine, he had Dean Pink on one phone and Randy Pierson on the other...Chad was Rookie of the year in Formula One PROP TOUR and the youngest driver to ever race Formula One...

Chad built this year's Parker winner, but the funny part is, Fred Bowden was telling Chad about their Champboat Motors, and what Fred's boat, Shawn Torrente's boat, was useing for motors, they were like what Dean Pink had Chad build in 1997....No wonder we were fast!

I don' think Dean has a bad bone in his body!!!

Seems to me, Jack, we a\only met in bay City??? Am I wrong about that???

Greeat post about Blackhawk racing...like to see more pictures...

Steve Crabtree
11-16-2006, 03:47 AM
Ron,

Dean Pink use to come to Quincy, IL and race with us at the Twin Oaks Boat Club Booster Day races for several years back in the early 70's. I never met him formally as I was just a youngster (12 or 13) but I did talk to him one year and do remember him and his boats.

I posted a picture in the Quincy Welding - Looper forum under B-Looper. If you look to the far right of the picture you will see the backend of a red Pickle-Fork Tunnel Hull with a 115 Mecury on it that Dean use to race in Quincy. The boat was bought from Dean by Terry Willing from here in Quincy in 74 or 75 and was later sold to Dave Hill also from Quincy, I can't remember who Dave sold the boat to.

I tried to post the picture here but it said that I have already posted it in another thread so you will have to go to the B-Looper posting to see it.

BLACKHAWK 1
11-16-2006, 07:11 AM
Hi Ron, great to hear from you. Yes I believe we did meet in Bay City. We may have also met in San Diego one time when I went out there with Rinker. Hey I may have some pictures of Jimbo's light blue Molinari Mod 50 too and a short story to go with it; let me know if you are interested.
Jack Withrow

Dean was a school teacher before he went to work for Yamaha Outboards. Now he owns Wizard Marine. My son, Chad, only met Dean once in Miami at the Miami Boat Show.

When we "HOOKED UP" with Arcadian Motorsports and were going to run the Formula One Series in 1997, Chad wanted to build his own engines..He was 19, maybe too young to be driving Formula One, but wanting to build his own engines..Well...

He was building an engine, he had Dean Pink on one phone and Randy Pierson on the other...Chad was Rookie of the year in Formula One PROP TOUR and the youngest driver to ever race Formula One...

Chad built this year's Parker winner, but the funny part is, Fred Bowden was telling Chad about their Champboat Motors, and what Fred's boat, Shawn Torrente's boat, was useing for motors, they were like what Dean Pink had Chad build in 1997....No wonder we were fast!

I don' think Dean has a bad bone in his body!!!

Seems to me, Jack, we a\only met in bay City??? Am I wrong about that???

Greeat post about Blackhawk racing...like to see more pictures...

Ron Hill
11-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Jack, I think I remember San Diego, too... Some names, like yours, being a FAMOUS NAME, I feel I know you because I've read about you. Many one who can "HANG" with those RINKERS, can't be all bad!!!!

Gene East
11-18-2006, 07:53 AM
I also remember Dean Pink from his early days racing at Quincy.
At the time my nephew was a very good high school basket ball player. He played on the same team as Ronnie Dickerson who's Dad Ed introduced me to racing. Ronnie also was a boat racer.
Dean's Dad was a Missouri High School Athletic Association Official.
I went to all my nephew's games and used to heckle the daylights out of him from the stands.
I'm certain if Ronnie and I had not been friends with Dean; I would have been asked to leave a few games.
Good to see Dean's name here.
Dean,if you're out there give me a shout.

Dean Pink
01-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Gene, I have never been on this site untill I registered this week!! Very Humbling to see so many notes and posts about an old also ran racer like myself. Hope things are going well for you. Bruce Washburn and I teamed up quite a number of years ago and still race Unlimited outboard today,( no this old man dosent drive anymore) . Havent seen my old photos of Quincy days in years, but next trip to Missouri you can bet I will look them up. My father passed away in aug. 01 and the rest of the family is going strong. Looking forward to hearing from you again. E-mail wizardraceshop@yahoo.com

Gene East
01-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Dean,

You'll love this site! There are a lot of BDOBR's (Broken Down Old Boat Racers) who hang out here.

As co-founders of BDOBR, Alan Ishii and I hereby bestow honorary membership in our ANCIENT order upon Mr. Dean Pink!

Welcome to the club!

It's the best club you can belong to. No dues to pay, no meetings to attend, but we do bump into our friends at races from time to time.

If you check out a post from Karen Cadel about the World Championship held in Florida last October you'll see a picture of Ed Dickerson. He and his son Ronnie used to race with us around Quincy and La Grange. I'm sure you remember those guys.

Your Dad refereed a lot of Ronnie's basketball games.

Ed is the "Typhoid Mary" who exposed me to this disease called boat racing.

I pray I never recover!

Sad news from Quincy; however, The River House Bar and Grill is closing today.

I'm betting you had lunch there a time or two.

Hope to see you sometime before "Lake Paradise"

Ron Hill
02-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Damn, Dean, in all the time we've spent talking over the years, to NOT know you had friends, background with Quincy people just floors me.....

All these years I thought your OUTBOARD smarts came from the SKY!!!! Now, I find out you knew Gene East et al.....

I may just come to to Florida...to talk!!!!! (About your Quincy era)..

Hope things are going well, Dean!

FYI: Not sure I posted this before, but when Chad started Formula One PROP TOUR in 1997...Dean sent parts enough to almost build two motors for Chad, then hung on the phone with Chad while he assembled the motors...NEVER a bill to me or mention money from Dean..

Chad later built his own engine that he and Pat Bowman won the Parker 300 Enduro...Chad's Merc V-6 Race motors always run like a SONG!!! Built in part from knowledge gained from EX teacher, Dean Pink!

Thanks Dean!!!

I'd love to see some PERSONAL Dean Pink pictures here on BRF!

88workcar
10-31-2009, 04:16 AM
I had the pleasure of speaking to Mr Dean last night, I was tring to absorb the knowledge through the phone :D. It's folks like him an Larry Orin, Poppa, Old man Renolds that has past us, that I would love to go and spend some time with. Just to hear the old stories and the ways they learned what they know today. I wish that I was part of the good old days.

Rusrog
10-31-2009, 05:54 AM
I met Dean at the first DSRA race of the season in Gulfport Ms. (You missed one hell of a race in Oct Dean.) All around good guy. I'm sure as I contine the deelopment of my Yamaha... He'll be hearing from me.

advantage marine
12-10-2009, 02:46 AM
I have only known Dean since about August this year. I had an issue with some Wizard pistons that I wanted for my S3000 that I was building up and thought I would ring the gentleman whose phone number was at the bottom of his website, Dean Pink. Within minutes he had sorted my issues out , and for the next 15 or so minutes spoke about tunnel boats, engines ,etc etc. I got off the phone and thought, nice bloke and boy he knows a lot about racing. (need to keep in touch with this bloke I thought). I have spoken to him several times since, often at late hours, and always treated well, so I agree with what has been previously written, Dean Pink you are a very knowledgeable, gentleman. PS. The other gentleman I have got to know recently of your character is Jim Ruck. Iwish you were both here in Australia. Cheers Don Mcclymont. Advantage Marine.

Gene East
09-26-2014, 08:42 AM
I had lunch with Dean yesterday. Although his official home is in Florida; he helps his Mother with planting and harvesting operations on their farm near Kirksville, MO, about 70 miles from Quincy.

He was in town to buy parts for their combine.

Dean's sister Patty came with him. She was an all-state basketball player in high school and attended college on a basketball scholarship. Although she is old enough for an AARP card, she's still long and lean and looks like she could probably dunk the ball if she so desired. Just in case your wondering; yes, she can drive a boat!

We had a great visit. I was particularly interested in Dean's record run from New Orleans to St. Louis but he passed it off as no big deal indicating he would like to try to regain the record someday.

Of course our conversation was mainly about boat racing and related topics. He seemed saddened to learn the water level at Twin Oaks where we raced each other in the early days was no longer deep enough to allow safe racing. We talked about people we raced against who we will only see again at "Lake Paradise" !

A lot of the racing we did was "Run what you brung" on fishing boats based on the HP sticker. We (QW) built Dean a padded and ported 44ci Mercury power head which he wrapped in a Wizard 25 HP cowling.

It was the fastest 25 HP motor on the lake. I only tell this story because the "Statute of Limitations" has long since expired.

I've often wondered why Dean calls his racing business "Wizard" and I've never asked.

Perhaps the secret has been revealed! Hmmmmmm?????

Hope to see you again soon my friend!

Ron Hill
10-01-2014, 10:11 PM
I don't think I've talked to Dean in four years. We immediately picked up where we left off four years ago. Deans lives in Florida, spends some time in Illinois, and I live in California.

We get n the phone and we talk, talk and talk. I think, probably were are uck we don't live closer, we might not get any work done. It is like when Jimbo and I get in Needles...ime stand still we talk about 50 years ago as it was yesterday.

Wizard Marine does lots of things well...Dean admitted, he used to race on an 1,100 acre lake...I think that is what he said, that his grandfather owned....they had two classes 20 HP and 25. Mers won the 20 easy, but 25 wasn't that easy............So, Gene East built Dean an 8 reed, 44 cubic inch Wizard. See, Mercury sold Western Auto Mercury mark 30's to Western Auto motors call 25's...The were am Mercury 30 with four reed reed blocks.

Dean said his 25 Wizard on a GW Invader or Glass Par G3..something like that, would pull skiers, and beat everyone on the lake...

He said those were the days..I said, "Hell there are a thousand people racing tiller handle three bangers today in 660 drags..." Dean had never heard of 660 drags...

Do you realize there are more "FOREIGN" cars racing everyday, than there ever was "MUSCLE CARS" Racing??

Grass Roots racing doesn't wait for a blessing from "ON HIGH".

Some of the biggest outboard events in America, aren't APBA sanctioned.

Ron Hill
12-23-2017, 05:11 PM
Hi Ron, great to hear from you. Yes I believe we did meet in Bay City. We may have also met in San Diego one time when I went out there with Rinker. Hey I may have some pictures of Jimbo's light blue Molinari Mod 50 too and a short story to go with it; let me know if you are interested.
Jack Withrow

I don't think I ever saw this post, I know Jake at Sea Way Marine is looking for more pictures of this boat AND I ALWAYS LIKE STORIES.

Ron Hill
12-23-2017, 05:14 PM
Dean called me today, we talk about once a year. I had Jerry Hedlund and Dean Pink on my list for calls, yesterday. Didn't call either one. 12/23/2017

I always enjoy talking to Dean, he said he is also making EFI harnesses for Mercury V-6 as Mercury is no longer making them.

Dean tells me Gene East is heading west for a trip soon. If you get to Phoenix, Gene, California isn't far. You can see Alan Ishii and stay with us as long as you'd like.

Gene East
12-23-2017, 06:06 PM
Ron,

I talked with Dean earlier this evening. We go way back! We used to do some "outlaw racing" in another life time. Most of our classes were based on advertised horsepower. Dean spent a lot of time on a lake with a 25 H.P. limit.

He had a 25 H.P. Wizard which was made by Mercury and very similar to a MK 30.

We built Dean a full house gas burner 44 c.i. Mercury power head and wrapped it up in that 25 H.P. Wizard cowling. Needless to say Dean had the fastest "25 H.P." motor on the lake!

Now everyone knows where his shop got it's name!

Dean's Dad used to referee high school basketball games in our area. I had a nephew playing ball and sometimes Mr. Pink (I think his name was Dean too) would be officiating my nephew's game. Of course I always gave him a hard time.

He was very patient with me, but when he had enough, he would point at me and wag his finger. That was his signal for me to back off a bit.

Ron Hill
12-24-2017, 11:06 AM
Ron,

I talked with Dean earlier this evening. We go way back! We used to do some "outlaw racing" in another life time. Most of our classes were based on advertised horsepower. Dean spent a lot of time on a lake with a 25 H.P. limit.

He had a 25 H.P. Wizard which was made by Mercury and very similar to a MK 30.

We built Dean a full house gas burner 44 c.i. Mercury power head and wrapped it up in that 25 H.P. Wizard cowling. Needless to say Dean had the fastest "25 H.P." motor on the lake!

Now everyone knows where his shop got it's name!

Dean's Dad used to referee high school basketball games in our area. I had a nephew playing ball and sometimes Mr. Pink (I think his name was Dean too) would be officiating my nephew's game. Of course I always gave him a hard time.

He was very patient with me, but when he had enough, he would point at me and wag his finger. That was his signal for me to back off a bit.

Just putting , 8 reed reed blocks in a 25 Wizard would help a lot... But a 44? Was there ever any 44 blocks that had the "blank" on the side of the block? You know where it said, "Full Jeweled or Turbo Four" As I recall, the Wizard was blank. Seems I saw a 44 once, with a blank and I thought hmmm, that would make a nice "C". But is was salted all to hell, which most California motors were, between the ocean and Salton Sea out motors didn't see much fresh water.

So, the "Wizard" got his name from a "Wizard"? My best STOCK Mark 30-H was a Wizard block my dad got out of Nebraska. It had laid out in the back of an Evinrude dealer's yard for many years. But every bolt and nut were like new, Nebraska fresh water was clean.

My dad always liked CUBIC INCHES when racing, not advertised Horse Power.

12/24/2017 Gene, how long will you be in Phoenix? Maybe, Alan Ishii and I will drive over.

Gene East
12-24-2017, 12:04 PM
In answer to your question about the side of the 44, it said Super Thunderbolt. We never ground it off, but perhaps Dean did. Actually, most of the guys we ran against back then probably didn't know what that casting mark meant.

With regards to Phoenix, my plans don't include Phoenix. I have another cousin who lives in Phoenix and we are hopeful he will meet us in New Mexico. I understand he is about 2 1/2 hours away from my cousin in New Mexico My Dad was the only boy in his family, so I don't have any first cousins named East

Ron Hill
12-24-2017, 12:32 PM
Was there ever a four port cover 44 block? Seems the "BLANK" 44 block was a four port cover block. Full Jeweled Super Thunderbolt.

At one race, long ago, a guy came down from Nor Cal to race with us. When my dad was weighting the boats, he notice black Marine Tex over the block plate. My dad, just said, "Pull your port cover." The guy said, "No, it is a 44, I'll take the disqualification." I had beat him with my 40 cubic incher, anyway.