PDA

View Full Version : Lobster Pot

David Weaver
03-05-2006, 07:12 PM
My wife and I ate dinner Thursday night in a restuaraunt in Hamilton, Bermuda named the The Lobster Pot. By chance, we were sat in a corner area of the place and I notice several boat racing photo's on the wall of a tunnel boat named the Lobster Pot. There was also a piece of wood from the boat and on the wood were some notes about being 30 seconds into a 7 hour enduro when the accident occurred. The year was 1978 and I believe that it might have been a race at Parker, AZ. I am supposed to receive an e-mail with a photo of the piece of wood. The boat was number 841 and was powered by a big Merc.

mbd29
03-10-2006, 10:38 AM
I think that is the crash between Sutter and Bentz #241, in Parker. If I remember correctly Ken Dear had some relationship with the Lobster Pot. He was an owner or sponsored by them. He was killed a number of years ago.

Bermuda Triangle Racer
04-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Good Day David and mbd29,

Its nice to see that you chose Bermuda as a place to travel and I hope youu enjoyed your stay in the famous "Bermuda Triangle".

The picture in the Lobster Pot is of a Seebold Tunnel # 241 which was owned by Eddie Roque of Bermuda. If I remember correctly the boat was driven by Eddie Roque at the time of the accident and Earl Bentz was to have been the second driver in the Parker Enduro. Earl Bentz, Reggie Fountain, and Bill & Mike Seebold regular raced in Bermuda in those days.

Ken Dear was unfortunately killed in 1981 in a testing accident on one of the race days in Bermuda and Eddie Roque ( sponsored by Lobster Pot ) was his main competitor in the ON class.The incident ultimately signalled the end of the ON class several years later in Bermuda as at the time as not too many new drivers were willing to risk racing the tunnels with the Mercury 1750 xs motors. Most people moved to the SOB offshore racing in the 21 Skaters, Bat boats, Velocity's and the Superboats.

Eddie Roque is still involved in racing in Bermuda and throttles one of the only two 28 foot skaters in Bermuda. He is also a keen pony racer.

Bermuda Triangle Racer
Craig
Past Commodore Bermuda Power Boat Association

David Weaver
04-04-2006, 04:26 AM
If you go into the Lobster pot, please remind Eddie, the bartender, that he owes me a photo (jpg) still!! Bermuda was great. I saw quite a few nice places to race tunnels! The people were absolutely the most friendly that I had met anywhere. Crazy drivers however!! Much safer in a race boat than on a scooter.