PDA

View Full Version : Where to get info 60's 40hp OMC

fyremanbill
03-06-2006, 09:00 PM
OK now that I know that I have (2) 1964 40 hp OMC engines, where do I find general info on them? Web sites for small outboards would be great. One is a Johnson w/electric shift, other is Evinrude with manual shift.
Were these ever used for racing in small boats. I'm only working with these because someone practically gave them to me.

Ron Hill
03-06-2006, 10:11 PM
When I find OLD MOTORS, I take them to the recycle center and I get about $15.00 for a motor....Bring them by the shop and Bill can tell you exactly what to do...with them...I'm going to scrap metal tomorrow...afternoon....

fyremanbill
03-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Now Ron, why do ya have to bust my chops? Here I'm planning on entering the mini enduro with a real "run what ya brung" racer. I think I'll mount the old big twin on a long board.

will350
03-07-2006, 03:21 AM
Bill,
As I once heard in a movie,"Pay no attention to that man behind the
curtain..." I know a place in Tacoma that has a way better price on scrap.
On a more serious note, I have here a very good manual for 56-70 OMCs.
Don't ask me "why" I have it, suffice to say I have one. Seloc publications,volume 1,1956-1970 Johnson/Evinrude outboards. Printed 1995.
I don't usually "recommend" "aftermarket" manuals since they're mostley piles that really don't tell you very much. This one is pretty decent.
Will
P.S to Ron, Went to the dentist today... Had what I thought was a fragment trying to get out. Turned out to be a bone spur. After some novacaine,a mighty reef with the "pliers" and some judicious "bone filing", I went home and actually ate an orange in the usual way(peeled in segments not blended) I think I'm ready tackle a burger.
Will

Now Ron, why do ya have to bust my chops? Here I'm planning on entering the mini enduro with a real "run what ya brung" racer. I think I'll mount the old big twin on a long board.

Droll-l6
03-07-2006, 08:50 AM
Keep those old omc alive ,still lots of parts available .
Might find some info here (http://www.old-omc.de/) .
Lots of info over at Iboats forum (http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=28) , try a search on Joe Reeves posts ( old omc guru ) , he knows what's worth to know about those old engines .

Can give you a good advice about the lower unit right now :) , if it's working and you want it to be working in the future , use ONLY OMC PREMIUM BLEND gear oil , also known a "type C" , or Bombardier premium blend ( for electric shift )
If it's NOT working , try to find a manual lower unit , IF yo can find parts for the electric shift ,it gonna cost $$$ .

Arne Kjetil

fyremanbill
03-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

JohnsonM50
03-20-2006, 07:12 PM
OK now that I know that I have (2) 1964 40 hp OMC engines, where do I find general info on them? Web sites for small outboards would be great. One is a Johnson w/electric shift, other is Evinrude with manual shift.
Were these ever used for racing in small boats. I'm only working with these because someone practically gave them to me. You might have a shot winning a go till it breaks race cause these 4500 rpm 43.9 ci sluggers keep going like the drum tote n rabbit. Thats why theres so many around.

Michael J Gwaltney
03-21-2006, 08:30 AM
Were these ever used for racing in small boats. I'm only working with these because someone practically gave them to me.

Both manual and electric shift models have water inlet ahead of exhaust outlet. This limits amount of motor height so be sure to install a water pressure gauge. Restricted water flow will cause exhaust to burn shift wire and cause $$ damage. Wave jumping and quick decel and quick accel causes spring to unload and many repeats will cause problems as well as using wrong lube. Michael J

fyremanbill
03-21-2006, 01:18 PM
I've seen the water inlet problem. Thought I'd move it and the exhaust outlet to a different location.

mercmack
03-21-2006, 09:36 PM
if you need a manual for service work, just go to EBAY and bring up outboard service manuals...there has been times where you can get a actual omc factory manual for 10 bucks if you bid right..you can also try johnson outboards service manuals/or evinrude outboard service manuals to cut down look time...just a thought:) :) :)

fyremanbill
03-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks, I'm working on that angle right now.

whaledog
03-21-2006, 10:58 PM
all manuals avaliable from www.kencook.com/evinrudejohnsonmanuals/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.main - 8k]
publishers of omc manuals.

fyremanbill
03-21-2006, 11:41 PM
Ok now where can I get stainless steel props for this thing?

JohnsonM50
11-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Since this motor uses a rear of prop 1/4in shear pin you could probably adapt a right hand speed prop, to find one?? I got a really nice right 2 blade speed prop on ebay a couple years ago, its on a hydro with an OMC rat for power.

LIQUID NIRVANA
11-26-2006, 07:57 AM
They are great motors. Used to service them years ago. They are not racing motors. They are reliable workhorses. Will just go forever. The electramatic didn't give any trouble on the 40. They are certainly a lot easier to work on than any Merc gearcase. No shims or anything like that. Just read the workshop manual. The manual gearbox only had problems if you slammed it into gear when reving to hard. Just wore the edges off the dog clutch. Very easy to work on the manual gearcase. Just tip the motor upside down. EASY. Great for light skiing & as a family motor. Can tell you a few things about the 90's as well if you need to know.

Best wishes from OZ.
Ken

Skoontz
11-26-2006, 10:06 AM
The 60's OMC motors had weak rods and will blow if you rev them up with little to no load, then back them down. They also had some minor over heating problems. Lastly, then had this apparatus made of a stanless steel bar and springs called a compression release. First thing you do is toss it in the trash where it belongs and the motor will start in one pull like they all should. Of that series, my personal favorite was the 35 HP OMC, of earlier production, and, the 33HP Evinrude. Find a manual shift version, even though the electric shifts were OK, I never liked using electricity where mechanical devices could be just as good. Of my least favored design of the engine, a 29.5° taper on the crank, and a 30° taper on the flywheel. It take 6 Siberian milking slaves and 3 small boys to break it loose, so if you want to make one go faster the trick was to get a 25HP flywheel and re mill the taper.

With a hot dog gearbox, that powerhead has lots of untapped potential.

fyremanbill
11-30-2006, 01:03 AM
I'm working on it for the great "Ron Hill Mini Enduro" . Hope I can get this junk ready in time.

Ron Hill
11-30-2006, 08:55 AM
Hey... Need commas, The great Ron Hill, Nano Enduro...

Frymanbill... Fyremanbill...and two cyclinder stuff you need, I probably have and if I don't...Bill Curtis has it...

Come to Newport this Saturday, December 2, 2006, free lunch, at the Antique Outboard Meet and we can talk Nano Enduros...

brichter
12-01-2006, 11:59 AM
I love those motors, they are easy to work on, and parts are everywhere.
OMC produced those motors in one form or another for over 40 model years and a few of those years they built over 80K. I have in my collection, I think at last count, 11 of them of various vintage. I've never taken one to the dump but I have dragged a few out and occasionally got them running again.

They are slow to begin with but with a little work and knowledge you can really up the performance. The later 40s with pressure-back pistons are quicker. The more you can get the foot out of the water and maintain water pressure the better (be careful though). Lots of other good tips on this thread.
The nice thing is you can experiment and if you break something its not too devastating. I learned a lot as a kid fiddling wth RDs.

If you are lucky enough to find them there were some racing lower units and other performance goodies made for those motors.

I would love to run the Ron Hill Mini Enduro with one of these motors on my mini tunnel but its very far away for me. I tried to get something going around here years ago but there wasn't much interest.

fyremanbill
12-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Ron. I'll be working on Sat, but will see you at the meeting on Sun.