PDA

View Full Version : S3000 vs Drag vs 280ros

doug
03-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Hello to All,
Can anyone tell me the difference between an S3000 and 300 Drag. Is it just the SVS system? Are there other differences? Does the SVS give the Drag more torque and HP? How much?
I have a 625lb. stringer Vegas without rigging. I am 220lbs. Would a 280ros provide more torque for this load and be faster than an S3000.
Is there a site that will give me the specs on these motors?
I would appreciate any help on which motor I should chose.

Many Thanks
Doug Johnstone

Tomtall
03-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Doug - You can go to this link which is mercury racings customer site. The river race section has some info that may help you decide. good luck.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/products/enginecomparison/riverracer.php

Yodaddy
04-30-2006, 06:43 PM
I remember someone telling me the 3000 didn't have the low end grunt needed by most boats.

doug
05-04-2006, 05:54 AM
Hello Tomtall and YoDaddy,
Thank you for your replies. Because of the bottom end torque, as you brought to my attention, on the 280 ROS I have decided to go with it. It will be better for all around boating with the family. I found a super clean 2001 280 ROS with a new drop on power head in 2003 and up here in Canada too. They are pretty rare up here.
Less than 1% leak down on a Balz to the Walls gauge.
I still would like a 300 Drag someday just for the top end. I'll keep my ears open for a power head starting next year.
The 280 ROS is going on a mint '83 Vegas stringer weighing 625 lbs. bare, white with blue stripes that I've had since new. I have drop in floor and rear seat for family days. It should be a great summer.
The best to you and thanks again for your help.
Have a good one.

Regards
Doug