PDA

View Full Version : Classic outboard racing in Sweden

corin_huke
03-11-2006, 01:18 PM
I thought you guys would be interested in this link to the Classic Boat Racing Club in Sweden

http://www.hydroracing.org/index.html

Jag hoppas att er kan läsa svenska! :) - but seriously, even if you cannot understand Swedish, it's a very easy site to navigate your way around

Lots of photos of Crescents....

Enjoy!

Corin

mintominto
03-12-2006, 03:32 AM
GOOD STUFF, are these the same group of Swedes who make occasional visits to the UK with their classics?

corin_huke
03-12-2006, 06:12 AM
GOOD STUFF, are these the same group of Swedes who make occasional visits to the UK with their classics?

Yes, there are drivers that also venture across to the UK - names like Tomas Lind, Janne Säfwe, Göran Linder to name a few

The big race this year in Sweden will be Mora at the end of July. Not only classics but also Formula 125, 250 and 350:-

http://www.helamorasurrar.se/

Expect a bumper field of boats (in all classes) - defintely one for yoyr diary!

Mark75H
03-12-2006, 07:23 AM
I see they have a class on the schedule noted as "OSY Modified" Do you guys know that the rules are for that class? Do you have it in the UK, too?

corin_huke
03-12-2006, 12:36 PM
To be honest with you Sam, the modified OSY class in Europe as a whole is very very small. I don't know the exact number of boats in Sweden, but I suspect no more than a handful - more than the rest of Europe put together!

I know that many years ago, Mike Ward (the UK Yamato agent) with the help of some details from Bob Goller, modified a Yamato 102. This was run a couple of times at club events and is now probably just lying at the back of Mike's garage. This is the only modified OSY I am aware of in the UK

OSY in general is still a popular class in Europe, but 99.% of the time the races are run to UIM rules so no modifications are allowed. The majority of the engines are 302s with the odd 202 on occasions. In fact, I cannot remember the last time I saw a Yamato 102 or 80 - they're just not run in Europe

In terms of the rules that are used, I think because of the small number in Sweden, it's pretty much a self governing approach that is adopted, allowing people to run whatever OSY that has been tweaked' a little

corin_huke
03-12-2006, 01:00 PM
I forgot to say that Mora is a very picturesque setting for a race and looks like this in the Summer

Whereas, at the moment it very wintery. It is the home of the famous and historic cross country Vasaloppet ski race in Sweden

http://www.competitiveimage.us/nordic/MORA06/index.html

The race organiser has promised to turn up the temperature before we get there in July!! :)

mintominto
03-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Do you know if many Brits are making the journey to the Mora event?

corin_huke
03-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Do you know if many Brits are making the journey to the Mora event?

The usual suspects should be there for the races:-

F-250: Paul Jillings (27), Malcolm Goodman (90)
F-350: Nigel Edwards (16)

I'm not sure if Wayne Turner will be racing in F-125

Plus there should be a crowd of Brits (mostly from the LOBMBC) for the classic racing. It's a favourite venue for the Brits - good venue, good friends, great racing, and cheap flights thanks to Ryan Air!!

Master Oil Racing Team
03-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Was wondering if any of these guys still hang around racing. Leif Ahlborg (Palmator Racing), Roland Stoltz, or Leif Lindell.

corin_huke
03-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Was wondering if any of these guys still hang around racing. Leif Ahlborg (Palmator Racing), Roland Stoltz, or Leif Lindell.

A good question. The simple answer is that I don't know, but I'll try and find out for you. I've certainly heard these names in passing, Leif Ahlborg more recently than the others, but as to whether they are still involved in racing in any way.........

David Weaver
03-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Is that bueatiful race course salt or fresh water?

corin_huke
03-14-2006, 04:16 AM
Is that bueatiful race course salt or fresh water?

You are right David, it is a beautiful race course and it's fresh water too. Although Finland is the land of a thousand lakes, Sweden is not far behind...

The region where Mora is situated, Darlarna, is stunningly beautiful and actually supplies water to Stockholm and others further South. The water quality is great (crystal clear) and is stark contrast to when we race on the River Po in Italy. The Po has the dubious honour of being the most polluted in the whole of Europe, but then again, the clue is in its name!!! :D

Darlarna Region link: http://www.dalarna.se/template/turism____8311.aspx

PS - BTW I don't work for the Swedish Tourist Office, but as you may have guessed, I DO like Sweden!

corin_huke
03-14-2006, 05:10 AM

I've found out some details for you. Roland Stoltz still is involved in racing and actually races in the Classic series - I saw his name in the results from last year (racing a König ZA250 on the back of a Schultze)

Leif Ahlborg is actually involved in tunnel boat racing and is the promoter for the Scandinavian F2 (SST120) Series. http://212.125.209.209/kunder/nolimit/visgruppe.asp?id=57. I have Leif's email address if you'd like it

Master Oil Racing Team
03-14-2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks Corin--Maybe we can get him to post some of his tunnel stuff here.

denny henderson
03-14-2006, 04:12 PM
I have a story about Leif Lindell.

In (I think) 1973 we had a 250cc UIM World Championship at Alex. one week after the nationals in DePue. It was the year that Craig and I didn't get qualified at DePue, and Dub Parker did. Anyway, since I didn't have anything to do all week, I went on over to Alex. on Tues. with my girlfriend. There were already quite a few folks there, including from Sweden, Leif Alborg and Leif Lindell. Two others that I clearly remember being there were LSBRA runabout driver Jim Richardson and his new wife Carol. Leif Lindell almost learned a hard lesson about the difference between American and Swedish culture that night. A bunch of us were standing around in the Pits drinking beer and he asked my girlfriend if she would like to go back to his room with him, with me standing there. He didn't speek great english and we weren't sure if he was serious. She looked at me and I said "well just tell him NO". Didn't bother Leif, he just went over to Carol and asked her the same question. Jim got right up in his face and said "You try that again and I'll send you back to Sweden in a caufin". His friend Leif Alborg got things streightened and nobody got hurt, but it was a close call. They were both really neat guys, we just got started out on the wrong foot. Alborg came back over here after that but I don't think Lindell ever did.

corin_huke
03-15-2006, 03:40 PM
I have a story about Leif Lindell.

In (I think) 1973 we had a 250cc UIM World Championship at Alex. one week after the nationals in DePue. It was the year that Craig and I didn't get qualified at DePue, and Dub Parker did. Anyway, since I didn't have anything to do all week, I went on over to Alex. on Tues. with my girlfriend. There were already quite a few folks there, including from Sweden, Leif Alborg and Leif Lindell. Two others that I clearly remember being there were LSBRA runabout driver Jim Richardson and his new wife Carol. Leif Lindell almost learned a hard lesson about the difference between American and Swedish culture that night. A bunch of us were standing around in the Pits drinking beer and he asked my girlfriend if she would like to go back to his room with him, with me standing there. He didn't speek great english and we weren't sure if he was serious. She looked at me and I said "well just tell him NO". Didn't bother Leif, he just went over to Carol and asked her the same question. Jim got right up in his face and said "You try that again and I'll send you back to Sweden in a caufin". His friend Leif Alborg got things streightened and nobody got hurt, but it was a close call. They were both really neat guys, we just got started out on the wrong foot. Alborg came back over here after that but I don't think Lindell ever did.

I see, the liberal Swedish attitude to some things in life was in play even back in the 1970s!
Or may be something was lost in translation?

It make me laugh sometimes when I'm in a foreign country and you check out a slogan on a t-shirt in English and think to yourself "Does he/she really know what that means!!??"

I don't know if the brand is popular in the States but there is a clothing line in the UK called French Connection and their trademark was FCUK. They put together a whole marketing campaign with this play on words (yes guys, you think of them and they probably used them) and all sorts of slogans appeared on t-shirts (both men and women). To see a young girl with one of these slogans on her t-shirt does make you do a double take. It's not too bad in an English speaking country, but for other countries, it does make you think if they truly know what the slogan means. The answer is that they probably do! - kids eh!!!! :D

Just going back to Swedes, one thing you may or may not be aware of is that there's a huge American Car cruising scene in Sweden. In the summer months, you see all of these Swedes (mostly youngsters) cruising around in classic cars from the 50s & 60s trying their best to look like Jerry Lee Lewis, James Dean, etc. At first it's a little strange from a foreigner's point of view, but they all seem to be having a good time!!

http://www.crusinclub.com/coppermine/

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
03-15-2006, 07:54 PM
My neigbor, first name - Hans, second name - Dyck, went to Germany finally to visit his relatives he never knew because he was born in Paraguay, South America to get there and the first week he was being shown around he saw teepees and a weekend celebration going on. These indians were all in full intricate dress, makeup, horses, spears shields and the bows North American Indians dressed like the Sioux, Mandan and so on and not one of them spoke indian lingo but some spoke pretty good english but their tongue of choice for everything else was German because they all were just that! That is enthusiasm for something North American way out of place and time. :)

Thomas
01-26-2007, 04:46 PM
http://www.hydroracing.org/index.html

Jag hoppas att er kan läsa svenska! :) - but
Corin

Doris,

Naturligtvis kan vi alla läsa svenska!
Vem skulle inte det?
Mera Historic bara det är ju heelt Kanon, dessutom
MORA är ju mitt favorit ställe som vi besöker alltid nu och då!
Historic är det enda som intesserar nuförtiden eftersom vårt förbund har
varit så passivt och struntat i all kreativ verksamhet och även ballat bort allting, nej jag menar inte SVERA utan grannlandet i öster!

Men som tur har vi ju ändå KITÖ-Loppet som dom inte når på.

Mora is freshwater naturally!

corin_huke
01-27-2007, 02:03 PM
A few photos of the boats that took part in the Classic outboard race in Mora, Sweden a couple of years ago

Thomas
01-27-2007, 03:36 PM
D,

I am also a fan of SWE, and Mora is my favorite place.
Can you imagine a better boatrace track, in the middle of the town
and there is always action during the whole Hela-Mora-Surrar event.
And historic is so cool, very beautiful boats indeed!

Here is my regards to Janne Säfwe
Janne när du läser detta skicka ett mail till mig har tappat din mail,
thomas@motionline.fi behöver information på en gammal
historisk tävlingsbåt byggd i Sverige.

Eng. Does anyone have the email of Janne Säfwe?

Master Oil Racing Team
01-27-2007, 03:46 PM
I used to have a small wooden horse just like that--same exact color given to me by Leif Ahlborg.:)

Keep the great pictures coming.

corin_huke
01-27-2007, 04:22 PM
I used to have a small wooden horse just like that--same exact color given to me by Leif Ahlborg.:)

Keep the great pictures coming.

Wayne - it does not surprise me that Leif gave you a horse like that, as that is the Dala Häst, which is one of the traditional symbols of Sweden. They are still made by hand in the area of Dalarna in Sweden, which is where Mora is located. The photo from Thomas is on the largest Dala Häst in the world

Thomas - jag kan hitta Jannes emejl adress för dig! D

corin_huke
01-27-2007, 04:41 PM
Another pic of Janne's Crescent CS rig and also another of the vintage König. Can anyone throw any light on the age of the König? - someone suggested to me that it's from the 60s....

Wayne - note the Union Jack on the side of Janne's boat, this is because the boat once belonged to a good friend of a certain Pip Willey..........Chris Applebee

Master Oil Racing Team
01-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Corin--I was wondering about that Union Jack. I have always loved geography and flags. I didn't know what the deal was there. Glad you explained. My E mail is haywire again so I haven't been able to contact Chris yet.

The few places I raced in Europe were much rougher than I was accustomed to. Leif had raced with us in America in 1973 and 1976 and was an observer in 1980. He knew the kind of water we were used to and he tried to get us to race in Sweden. He said we would like the kind of courses they had. I wish now I had. We were so busy then I threw away a lot of opportuntities. Besides Sweden, we had standing opportunities to race in England, Italy, South Africa and Australia. Those last two had a season opposite ours where we could have gone and not missed anything in our regular circuit.

It is great to see some of the race courses and people over there. When I get the scanner working again, I'll dig out some old photos of European drivers from the late 70's.

As far as the Konig, I see I'm guessing 1964 to 1967.

Mark75H
01-27-2007, 11:09 PM
If I have all my years straight, the first "VC" opposed 4 Konigs were sold in 1965 and were piston port rather than rotary valve. APBA did not allow these motors, but NOA did. Opposed 4 Konigs weren't allowed in APBA until around 1967.

Tim Chance
01-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Another pic of Janne's Crescent CS rig and also another of the vintage König. Can anyone throw any light on the age of the König? - someone suggested to me that it's from the 60s....

I had a 1966 4-carb D. It did not have the "tin can" exhaust, it had two short megaphones. The motor in the photo has a newer style split lower unit. I had a 1969 rotary valve C and it had the same style heads as the motor in the photo, and a muffled exhaust.

Master Oil Racing Team
01-30-2007, 05:49 AM
WOW! Thanks Thomas.:D

corin_huke
01-30-2007, 05:58 AM
I agree with Thomas. Mora in Sweden has got to be one of the most beautiful race venues we visit, especially when the weather is great as it was a couple of years ago

Roy Hodges
01-30-2007, 09:54 AM
In 1959 here in Nor-Cal we had the C C R A , for pleasure boat racing . I was a deck rider for Bob Carpenter in a 14'
Premier (wood) runnabout . we were racing in the D D class ( 45 H.P.) in the Rodeo to Napa and back twice race . it was rough in the San Pablo bay. it was nice up the Napa river. We were in the lead(in our class) at the end of the race , untill we went off plane turning around the wrong boat (used for a bouy) the second boat AND we lost plane in the confusion, & we made a huge spray of water & a photographer from LIFE magazine shot the scene , wanted to put it on LIFES cover , but , he forgot to load his camera - no film ! Bummer ! we came in second . Been a LONG time ,since i thought of this . Al Estel was the announcer .

Roy Hodges
01-30-2007, 10:01 AM
He would usually park his car near the announcing stand & guys would lean against it. he would say , "HEY, I just waxed the car , so if you are gonna lean on it , move your butt , and shine it !"

Lars Strom
06-03-2008, 09:52 AM
I have been reading this thread with a great smile, and Hydro racing use
to be real popular over in Scandinavia.

The founder of the Swedish Power Boat Federation, was Mr. Gunnar Faleij and I think he was from Mora and a very famous Hydro racer.

One note: Not all Swedes are Liberal :)

Ps. I have a wooden Dala horse at my place in Warsaw, MO
from the Formula 1 Race in Stockholm 1983.
As a Swede, a Dala Horse is a must... or/and a
Mora klocka.

team28sweden
06-14-2008, 02:52 AM
Team kera swediish classic boat team
http://www.hydroracing.se

KA

Lars Strom
07-29-2008, 06:20 AM
Last weekend the Classic Hydro Outboard race to place again in Mora.
I great success and here is a photo from the 350 cc start

team28sweden
07-29-2008, 07:17 AM
Results and photos from EC in Morahttp://www.hydroracing.se

Mark75H
07-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Click on "Bilder" (photos in Swedish)

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
08-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Some Swedish classic hydo racing has turned up on YouTube that featured the old full front laydown hydros powered by Crescents and Konigs. Pretty good show too. :)

Jeff Lytle
11-03-2008, 12:14 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zYqr-aElYsk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zYqr-aElYsk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>