PDA

View Full Version : Italian Carnitti outfit

corin_huke
04-09-2006, 02:32 PM
I thought you guys would enjoy a look at this Italian beauty....

As I understand, she's found a home in colder climes in Sweden

Did Carnitti engines ever find their way across the pond?

Allen J. Lang
04-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Corin,
Thanks for the posting. Looks like potent machine. Not having
raced in 36 years, I am not up to speed if it ever was run on
this side of the pond. What size cc was the engine and how did
it do on the european circuits?
Thanks again,
Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al Lang:cool:

Mark75H
04-11-2006, 04:19 AM
500cc and it says "Vincini" .... "Champion" in English; it walked away with the UIM championship .... year 1961 .... only 5 made. 65hp @ 9,000 rpm.

We know that particular Carniti didn't run in the US ... as far as I know the 2 cylinder Carnitis didn't make it here either.

I would like to know more about the later 2 cylinder Carnitis

stingray240cs
04-12-2006, 01:52 AM
Hi Corin,

nice pictures! I don´t know anything about the 500 ccm engine :confused:
but I remember the 850 cats with Carniti´s from the seventies.
"Big Dieter" Schulze was racing it in 1973 (see picture) but couldn´t find the right setup and changed to Johnson again.
The orange proprider with Jägermeister on it is No.77 - Erwin Zimmermann (World Champ in OB,OC and OD)

Have a nice Easter

Roman

Tim Chance
08-11-2010, 08:56 PM
All this is just amazing to me. The knowledge and the information that BRF is putting forth is, . . . just amazing to me.

wolfgang
08-11-2010, 11:10 PM
From memory: by the mid 60s Carniti produced and sold mainly to the Italian market a line of very sporty "fishing" outboards, of which the 55hp 2-cyl. dominated EU (850cc utilities). The largest motor of that line was a 85hp 3-cyl of 1000cc. The motors were cross-flow and equipped with DellOrto carbs (one per cyl.) with little red plastic inlet stacks. With the advent of the OMC 3-cyl looper, the modified 3-cyl. block was used in what then had become SE (850cc sportsboats). It did not stand a chance against the OMC looper. I remember that the Carniti works team with Sergio came to the Milan Idroscala race in April `68 or `69 with a 6-il with 6 carbs, no cowling, speedmaster clone lu, mounted on a Molinari cat. That was Carniti`s version of the Twister 2. Stunningly beautiful engine and rig. Succumbed to lower unit failure. After the start of the Berlin `69 six-hour race H Tinscher and me (Dalla Pieta` boat/Johnson looper) had 5 boats in front of us, 4 of which were Carniti powered Italians, plus one Konig, driven by Germans. During the course of the race, the Italians dropped out one by one, mostly due to boat related issues. The Konig by then 50 meters in front of us (me at the time) had to refuel one hour before the finish. It had seized up when the refuelling was completed and the crew took about 15 minutes to get it going again. `69 was the first year when the UIM reglement made it mandatory to switch off the motor during refuelling. We won SE, Sanders/McKinley won ON, also with OMC.
I may be wrong, but I think Selva later took over the Carniti works and proceeded with engine development. They are still active today, with a very modern line of engines.

stingray240cs
08-12-2010, 01:15 AM
some pictures to Wolfgangs perfect description

Mini Max
04-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Displayed at Fabio Buzzi's factory.

Selvaracer
04-27-2011, 01:01 PM
One picture more :)

http://i56.tinypic.com/2uyge50.jpg

Powerabout
06-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Carniti
also made diesel outboards, seen a few in OZ 20 +years ago

On a side note they have like the Yamaha diesel outboards become valuable as the authorities in Australia have banned petrol on offshore OnG fields so all the vessel rescue boats (FRC) etc have a problem.
I know a company here in Singapore paid usd20k for a pair of old yamaha diesels in not running condition.

jackie wilson
07-03-2011, 01:20 AM
Carniti
also made diesel outboards, seen a few in OZ 20 +years ago

On a side note they have like the Yamaha diesel outboards become valuable as the authorities in Australia have banned petrol on offshore OnG fields so all the vessel rescue boats (FRC) etc have a problem.
I know a company here in Singapore paid usd20k for a pair of old yamaha diesels in not running condition.

When Keith Duckworth retired he concentrated on diesels -------actually had one in one of his helicopters. Was working on diesel bike engines to the last.

Mark75H
02-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Thanks to Théo Mouly on Facebook ... the real Carniti website:

http://www.pionieredellanautica.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=36&Itemid=60

Click on all of the links on the right side of the page to see everything ... the website does not have perfect navigation

Smokin' Joe
02-29-2012, 09:05 PM
In 7/1987 we watched an OPC race in Copenhagen. An Italian 2 cyl. motor dominated OD. Would that have been Carniti or Selva? Unfortunately, I took no pictures, I was too focused on my new German girlfriend, later Frau. Grusse aus Houston, Joe

From memory: by the mid 60s Carniti produced and sold mainly to the Italian market a line of very sporty "fishing" outboards, of which the 55hp 2-cyl. dominated EU (850cc utilities). The largest motor of that line was a 85hp 3-cyl of 1000cc. The motors were cross-flow and equipped with DellOrto carbs (one per cyl.) with little red plastic inlet stacks. With the advent of the OMC 3-cyl looper, the modified 3-cyl. block was used in what then had become SE (850cc sportsboats). It did not stand a chance against the OMC looper. I remember that the Carniti works team with Sergio came to the Milan Idroscala race in April `68 or `69 with a 6-il with 6 carbs, no cowling, speedmaster clone lu, mounted on a Molinari cat. That was Carniti`s version of the Twister 2. Stunningly beautiful engine and rig. Succumbed to lower unit failure. After the start of the Berlin `69 six-hour race H Tinscher and me (Dalla Pieta` boat/Johnson looper) had 5 boats in front of us, 4 of which were Carniti powered Italians, plus one Konig, driven by Germans. During the course of the race, the Italians dropped out one by one, mostly due to boat related issues. The Konig by then 50 meters in front of us (me at the time) had to refuel one hour before the finish. It had seized up when the refuelling was completed and the crew took about 15 minutes to get it going again. `69 was the first year when the UIM reglement made it mandatory to switch off the motor during refuelling. We won SE, Sanders/McKinley won ON, also with OMC.
I may be wrong, but I think Selva later took over the Carniti works and proceeded with engine development. They are still active today, with a very modern line of engines.

Mark75H
02-29-2012, 09:11 PM
That would have been a Selva