PDA

View Full Version : McCulloch history question

Tim Weber
04-12-2006, 10:50 AM
I was told that McCulluch sent a team to run in the 6 hours of Paris race in the 60's.

Does any body know what year it was. Also, the guy that headed the effort was Rodachaux?

Tim

Mark75H
04-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Never heard that. I have thousands of old magazines and there is no mention of it. I interviewed Jack Oxley and Bob Kies who ran the racing division and neither of them mentioned it. They did mention a few offshore races, but nothing overseas. If I dig up Bob Kies' phone number again I could ask him, but based on what I know so far, I'd say the answer is no, they did not. If you heard this from a certain Irishman in Florida ... that would explain it.

Sunburnt
04-14-2006, 06:19 PM
In one of those Mercury Marine Oldtime race DVD's that came out they had some video (with corny commentary and bad comedy) of a race I'm pretty sure was Paris. At the start of the race where everyone takes off there was a Scott in the Field. Total on screen time is only a few seconds and it shows up again in a couple of shots as the field goes by, No idea if it was a factory effort or just a small home built team, I'm pretty sure it was a late 60's race so that would have made it home built, but there was definetly at least one Scott in there..

Jeff

Mark75H
04-14-2006, 07:54 PM
McCulloch was out of the outboard motor business by 1968; racing folded a few years earlier ... maybe '65.

Are you 100% certain it is a Scott or McCulloch? Crescent, Carniti and Konig fishing motor cowls look very much like Scott/McCulloch products.

I guess I should buy the DVD myself and have a look ... is this the one that is being sold on eBay these days?

Sunburnt
04-14-2006, 11:21 PM
Hi Sam,

I just watched the video again.. "Mercury film Archives Volume 2" Film clip is labeled "Seine Insanity" (man the commentary and comedy is BAD!) roughly 4 minutes in the racing finally starts.

It is definetly a later model "McCulloch" Hood not a flying Scott.

The DVD has it labeled as a 57 video, it is definetly late 60's footage. I haven't paid enough attention to the Black Merc history to give you the exact year. Does a red labeled 1000 help?

Probably just a Home built team. Altho they did have a world wide dealer network before they called it quits..

Jeff

Mark75H
04-15-2006, 07:57 AM
Red sure does help .... I think the first red was 1969 ... but if I'm wrong it is 1968; well after the demise of the Mac racing team.

STOKER909
04-18-2006, 10:57 PM
My Dad told me that mcCulloch used to have a race team at Havasu even before they had the London Bridge. He said he would see them training there all the time in the summer.

Mark75H
04-19-2006, 04:43 AM
My Dad told me that mcCulloch used to have a race team at Havasu even before they had the London Bridge. He said he would see them training there all the time in the summer.That is correct. They were Bob Kies, Jack Oxley and Danny Snead. I have interviewed Kies and Oxley. Mr Snead has dropped out of sight. If anyone knows his whereabouts, tell him about BRF.

brichter
05-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Does anyone know how many 590 and/or 630 Macs were built? I have been looking for one of these fabled motors for as long as I can remember and have never seen one in person. Does anyone have one or know someone who does? I would like to see pictures if so.

Mark75H
05-02-2006, 06:30 PM
I thought I had answered that here on BRF, but a search shows I haven't.

Mr. Kies and Mr. Oxley told me the number was something in the hundreds, at least 300, maybe 400 or 500. The factory workers in Minnesota claim there were 500 ... or at least that 500 of each part were made.

My personal guess is that they made 100 590's and 300 or so 630's and 100 spares of each piece. Serial numbers haven't shown high serial numbers, #150 or so is the highest known number. I only know of about 8 630's owned by collectors. It is strange that so few 630's are known when there are more known examples of many more rare motors.

I have been looking for a complete 630 without success for over 30 years without success.

Kies and Oxley told me that many 630's were used in pairs, quite a few 3 to a boat and a few 4 to a boat. I keep hoping that some racer scooped up a dozen or so and that the pile of motors will surface all at once.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-02-2006, 07:07 PM
I am not familiar at all with these motors, but I have been going through the stuff that Bill Holland sent me. He was racing and doing business with Scott-Atwater and McCulloch in the 60's. He has stayed with racing, so even if he wasn't directly involved, maybe he knows. I misplaced his phone number. I will call Ray Yates and maybe find out some info tommorrow.

brichter
05-03-2006, 05:21 AM
Thanks Sam, Those numbers are higher than I thought. I figured that maybe most of the motors that still existed might be located in some region of the country, perhaps the southwest. I have been looking since I found a Scott brochure featuring these motors maybe 25 years ago.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-03-2006, 08:19 AM
Just got off the phone with Bill Holland. He doesn't remember how many 590's or 630's were built, but he thought Sam's numbers sounded about right. He thought he had the production numbers somewhere but he would have to do some digging to find them. They didn't field a team in Paris, but they did win Salton Sea one year when he was the manager of racing. They had a pair of McCullochs on a catamaran. He figured the best place to find any of these motors would be California.

Tim Weber
05-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Wayne,

Ralph DeSilva is the fellow who wants to know about this Paris thing. He is positive they fielded a team for the Paris race. It seems Robacheaux headed the effort. Holland may not know as it was a disaster. Ralph wants to know the year.

To Bill Holland, Ralph passes on his reguards. Belated congrats for the 106mph effort at Knoxville in the mid 60's.

Tim

Master Oil Racing Team
05-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Tim, I will be talking to Bill again soon after I go through some more of the stuff he sent. I will pass on Ralph's regards and ask him about the name Robacheaux. I knew Bill as a legend in the alky circuits, but I am learning much about his involvement with Scott-Atwater, McCulloch and his OPC achievments. He apparently has a lot more stuff stowed away somewhere, including McCulloch info. One reason he didn't have more crowns in his racing when he went to McCulloch is that as he moved up, they wouldn't let him get in the cockpit any more.