PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Allison 15 / Merc Twister

bridges
05-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Many of you have seen my boat on the S&F boards. for those who haven't, I hope you enjoy these photos.

Mark75H
05-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Beautiful! :)

If you can make a copy of your video, I'll try to digitize and post your sound clip.

bridges
05-25-2006, 02:42 PM
Beautiful! :)

If you can make a copy of your video, I'll try to digitize and post your sound clip.

Thanks Sam. I took the movie on a digital camera, so I may be able to do it easily. I'll try to get it on here today or tomorrow. It's a little sketchy since I was alone and sitting on the dash trying to throttle up on plane, so I really need to get a better one....but let's see what I can do with it. ~Scott

DonChichoJr.
09-02-2006, 01:45 PM
........wonderful Boat !!!!!!!!!!!!
How Fast Is It ????

Don

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
09-02-2006, 10:54 PM
I had a Merc Twister and it had the real big, long nose coned Speedmaster MC-1 gearcase. The engine had single barrel carbs and a almost chromate green painted flywheel. I noticed your Twister has a way smaller Speedmaster gearcase, so it begs the questions; Is yours a 2 barrel X 3 carb later model?? and if you know, what other differences other than the gearcases were there between yours and the I guess, older Twister I had? Seems that information on these older Merc racing 6s is pretty hard to come by.

Mark75H
09-03-2006, 07:21 AM
The MC-1 or regular right hand SSM were options on both the Twister and Twister-1. Powerheads were the same except for some exhaust tuning: same carbs.

If you do a search on screamandfly.com we have them all pretty worked out

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
09-04-2006, 07:25 AM
In these parts a couple of Merc Twisters were sold to non-racing private hands. I found the first one and now it lives. The second one has now been located albiet its not all in one piece but it is all there none the less. Won't know the vintage until next week, so stay tuned.

Dago Fast
09-05-2006, 05:14 PM
In these parts a couple of Merc Twisters were sold to non-racing private hands. I found the first one and now it lives. The second one has now been located albiet its not all in one piece but it is all there none the less. Won't know the vintage until next week, so stay tuned.

Found this one today. Frozen. Looks like it was stored on dirt of maybe
it was submerged at some point. Exterior is in good shape, no corrosion.
Any one have any advice as to how I can disassemble this one to check
it out.
Thanks, Dagofast

Mark75H
09-05-2006, 07:11 PM
That is a "BP", the Frankenstien of Merc racing lower units. I would not advise taking it apart unless you are already pretty much a Speedmaster expert. Instead of 2 driveshafts, this unit has 3. The fat section under the exhaust outlet is a full gearshift transmission. From the driveshaft to the propshaft there are 15 gear surfaces.

I can't tell for 100% certain, but it looks like the 1968 version. The 1969-70 version had exposed mounting nuts in scalloped side notches on the sides of the mid; the 1968 mid was smooth sided.

bridges
09-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Dago,

I'd be interested in that BP prop if you want to sell it...looks like a RH?

Scott

mac19f
09-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Sam is right. That is the original BP unit that has studs going down from the midsection to hold the gearcase on. The Super BP units have the studs going up from the gearcase into holes inthe midsection.

These units are extremely difficult to rebuild. I've heard Dave Steckbauer has swarn to never do another one. If you decide to not rebuild it I would be very interested in the upper gear cover casting.

I've got a couple BP props I could swap for that part if anyone has one to spare.

Dago Fast
09-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Dago,

I'd be interested in that BP prop if you want to sell it...looks like a RH?

Scott

I was thinking about putting it on this. Hate to break it up in pieces.
How much for the complete package?

Mark75H
09-06-2006, 05:25 PM
I'm pretty sure its not going to bolt up to that, unless I'm not seeing the side scallops ... and THAT would probably break it anyway. The Twister would be historically accurate and more appropriate with a regular SSM or MC-1 SSM ... you could probably find someone with a working SSM or MC-1 SSM that will trade you for the BP. You'd both come out ahead. :)

Scott, I have a couple props if you have something to trade :)

largecar91
09-07-2006, 04:51 AM
Dago Fast, I Sent You A Pm.

bridges
11-14-2006, 08:14 PM
I was lucky to find another 15' Allison back in August and brought it home. Very good shape, solid, needs polishing and rigging.

The rear of the floor was a little soft, but the transom and stringers were dry and solid. I'm replacing the floor this winter and we are planning to put my dad's T-IIx on it.

Another fun project!

mercmack
11-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Beautiful Boat....you Wouldn't Take Two (2) Wifes, 6 Kids And 16 Granskids For It Would You???....(notice I Am From Utah)...just Joking...anyway...beautiful Boat...:d :d :d

mercmack
11-14-2006, 08:56 PM
P.s. To Top Post...first Wife Past Away, Second Wife Would Kill Me And It Love My Kids And Grandkids To Much To Tade Any Way...beautiful Boat Anyway..:) :)

graemers
02-07-2007, 09:02 PM
The pads on those allison's are NARROW!!! Are they a handful to drive?

bridges
02-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Within reason (60-75 mph) they are really nice to run on good water. The air lift under the wide flat bow and chines keeps the boat much stabler than you'd expect from a 15 foot boat. Look closely and you'll see how the deck extends like wings past the chines.

tthibodaux
02-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Sweet boat. In my opinion the smaller boats are much more fun to drive than a 100mph 20ft boat. It's gettin warm out in the south so you should be hard at work on the new boat. Got any new pics?