PDA

View Full Version : Amazing old ASR kilo record D Lake

arcticracer
06-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Recently I was thinking about old records which were set in region 10, which were amazing runs. Pre 1971. One of a few that really stood out to me was a kilo run made by Craig (Tuna) Selvidge in his very unusual ASR at D Lake.

Craig was a big boy, I don't know how close he was to making weight but the boat was really wide, huge bottom width. Extremely thin deck with Saran wrap like covering. The engine he had sounded like it was going to scatter at any second, unreal RPM's.

If I remember right he pushed the record to around 67+ MPH. Does anybody remember more information, or have an old record book on hand?

The most amazing run I saw though was Gerry Walin in his BOH average over 100 on perfect water, prop riding, I think 1966.

Steve Wilde
06-22-2006, 10:55 PM
About that same time Walin set a B record at Modesto Reservoir; his Anzani came unglued exiting the traps. The engine was so badly damaged Al Hart, the chief inspector, couldn't measure the engines' stroke. I showed Al how the stroke could be determined by sawing off the one remaining rod and measuring from the journal to the crank circle. Record granted.

High Point
06-24-2006, 02:59 PM
According to my APBA 1976 Rule Book, Craig still held this record and two other kilo records:

A Stock Runabout, 61.120 MPH, Kilo, 9/24/72, Lincoln City, Ore, Boat Name: Super Floater Boater, Craig Selvidge Driver and Owner, Craig-Craft, Mercury

and Jerry Walin:

350 c.c. Hydro, 100.089, Kilo, 9/25/71, Lincoln City, Ore, Boat Name: The Fantum, Gerry Walin Driver and Owner, Hallum, Anzani

Master Oil Racing Team
06-26-2006, 06:58 AM
Word of Gerry Walin's B record quickly spread around the country. I remember talking about it in the pits at Lakeland in 1972. In fact, Ron Anderson may have been the one giving us some details. Can't remember. We were all blown away about not only getting that kind of speed out of such small displacement motor, but keeping the boat on the water for both runs. That got me to thinking about the previous record. This is what I found in the couple of rulebooks I had handy.

In 1968 Gerry had set a record of 98.329 in a Hallum-Karelsen powered by an Anzani. The 1966 APBA rulebook shows Walin set a record in 1965 of 88.285 at D Lake in a Geoff-Hagness owned by Ron Hagness, also Anzani powered. Don't know what happened between '65 and '68, but it appears Gerry was getting some good feedback on setups, props, etc.

981m
08-07-2006, 05:21 AM
It's been a long time that I have been away from boat racing, I do remember Craig. I believe I had one of the last boats he built in 1975 (at least that was the way he signed the bottom when it was shipped to me).

arcticracer
08-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Well I was off by quite a bit on that ASR record, oh well I can blame it the years that have passed. Nonetheless, that record was broken by a large margin, wonder what the pre-existing ASR Kilo record was?

J-Dub
12-04-2007, 04:16 PM
You mean this boat? This was Walins boat he set the AOH record at 90.--- and the BOH at 100.--- in about 1970. Then I the DSH record at 87.--- in 1997. I also made the cover of Propeller in January '96 after a failed attept in Parker using the same prop Gerry set the B record with: 8 1/2" X 15" two blade.

J-Dub

john lawrence
12-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Boy it would be neat if someone who was involved or knew would get on here and elaborate on those records, and how they did it with thoses motors and wheels back then, even little bits of info to keep the thread going. Thanks for the pic of the boat!! John Lawrence

mercguy
12-04-2007, 06:46 PM
You mean this boat? This was Walins boat he set the AOH record at 90.--- and the BOH at 100.--- in about 1970. Then I the DSH record at 87.--- in 1997. I also made the cover of Propeller in January '96 after a failed attept in Parker using the same prop Gerry set the B record with: 8 1/2" X 15" two blade.

J-Dub

JDub, the new store is almost done and will be awaiting that boat...........;)

J-Dub
12-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Here is the 100% guaranteed last Craig Craft! Not too sure Craig even knows where the previous boat is… Craig has two hanging in his shop on Devils Lake, Mike Jones believes he may have it, and 981-M may have it… Craig had 30 years off from building boats and this was the first boat ride he had in 28 years. I will find the picture of him driving it and post them later.

J-Dub

J-Dub
12-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Daren,
This is possible... We will definitely need to be VERY clear on who owns it and what happens if... I probably should refinish it first.

J-Dub

Joe Silvestri 36-S
12-05-2007, 09:13 AM

J-Dub

I remember this boat being on the cover of the magazine. I love the looks of the old conventionals, which is why I built my hydro with a conventional nose. Is this a Craig Craft?

J-Dub
12-05-2007, 10:12 AM
The hydro is a Karelsen.

J-Dub

Ron Hill
12-05-2007, 04:26 PM
PLEASE post a picture of Gerry Walin's prop in my Vertual Propeller Museum...

Let me guess, CARY???? I remember seeing Jerry run through the kilo at Modesto....Big mother prop, no skeg on the gearcase and an outboard rudder (Like inboard hydros used).....Seems it was like 1965????

Didn't remember the Karlesen boat.....

Or send me a picture and I'll post it!!

How about posting some of your family's picture in the Encyclopedia section???

Thanks for being here!!!

Jeff Lytle
12-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Here's the Anzani engine, compliments to Charlie's CORE site.

mercguy
12-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Here's the Anzani engine, compliments to Charlie's CORE site.

Arny (Jimmy Hallum) was at the shop today (he stops in every once in awhile to use the internet). We chatted some more about the Anzani. That unit has 16/21 gears (Merc A/B/C) in it, so would pull that 15p prop, but said the 1:1 unit really hauled ***! He said they had (3) Cary props, 13/14/15 pitch to use. He also said the motor ran really good with only the 2 rear carbs, but once they got into the fancy fuel, the other 2 carbs were used.

Jimmy is probably the smartest and most knowledgeable person I have ever known. He could easily be a "rocket scientist" or NASA engineer. He stilll remembers every thing about the motor and racing back then.............and all the records and attempts......

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
12-13-2007, 07:00 PM
It seems that those Kilo gearcases keep popping in and out of view like a teaser but when you want to buy one the teasers don't respond back so you look elsehwere and buy what someone else with something else similar or the same comes along that was not teasing. That is what happened and I have a kilo gearcase of such design, so happy listing and good luck in selling it. Some one buying it out there will undoubtably be happy with it.

Mark75H
12-13-2007, 08:50 PM
How about a picture John?

arcticracer
12-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Seeing those pics of Walin's setup bring back memories like it was yesterday. I have lots of memories from D-Lake, but Walin's runs are on the top of the list. It was not easy for Gerry to get a good clean run both directions there, I remember more than once he would make a good pass down the course, but could not nail the return pass. Had problems getting the boat out of the air, slowed down, get it turned around and wound up for the return pass. As a curious wide eyed kid I would be hanging around in the pits and remember Gerry and Jim getting prepared, and how meticulous and thorough they were. Genius is a word that comes to mind.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
12-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Amongst the pictures already posted the is a skegless gearcase there, an Anzani version 12/15 ratio.

mercguy
12-16-2007, 08:14 PM
It seems that those Kilo gearcases keep popping in and out of view like a teaser but when you want to buy one the teasers don't respond back so you look elsehwere and buy what someone else with something else similar or the same comes along that was not teasing. That is what happened and I have a kilo gearcase of such design, so happy listing and good luck in selling it. Some one buying it out there will undoubtably be happy with it.

I never offered it to you!

smittythewelder
12-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Here's a jaw-dropper. The Cary used by Hallum/Walin to hit the 100mph mark was THE SAME PROP used by Hu Entrop to first break 100mph with any outboard, going 107 in 1957, with a Mk75H (open exhausts, no pipes) on his R-22.

Mr. P, have you put up any pix of your dad's CU and DU Castagnetos? Those were such pretty boats, and didn't your dad hold a couple of records with them at Yelm and Delake?

J-Dub
12-17-2007, 01:59 PM
These props??????? I used the Record prop on the same boat with my 44XS at the '95 Parker Kilos and could go over 88mph up river but broke sheer pins on all 3 return runs.

Mark75H
12-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Here's a jaw-dropper. The Cary used by Hallum/Walin to hit the 100mph mark was THE SAME PROP used by Hu Entrop to first break 100mph with any outboard, going 107 in 1957, with a Mk75H (open exhausts, no pipes) on his R-22.

Mr. P, have you put up any pix of your dad's CU and DU Castagnetos? Those were such pretty boats, and didn't your dad hold a couple of records with them at Yelm and Delake?

Entrop was not the first outboard to break 100 mph, but he was the first to exceed 100 mph with a production based motor (the year was 1958). The first to do 100 or better was Massimo DiPriolo (1954).

I went back and checked the details as told by Jack Leek who was running the Entrop record run for Mercury. The Entrop 107 mph record was set with a prop made by Ron Jones from a hand made pattern.

The Cary may have been used for Entrop's 114 or 122 mph record set in 1960 with a V-4 Evinrude

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
12-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Sheared pins using a Merc 44?? What ever happened to those aircraft clevis pins quite available back then that would bite a bit, bend a bit but be dang if they would shear? You could evidently toss them under a 6 banger Flathead or Lon Stevens 6 banger Merc and those motors rarely ever sheared them where a lot of everything else would fail real quick.

J-Dub
12-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Broke clevis pins, and also Koenig pins too. They would only break once the boat "rolled over", started to prop ride and the rpm would drop from 7000 down to a little over 6000. The engine never would hit 6500 at 89mph.

smittythewelder
12-18-2007, 06:34 PM
J-Dub, take the props and pay Jimmy a visit, swap stories. He's just a few miles out of Duvall. If you can't get a number and address, PM me. He can give you endless info on that Karelsen, all of Entrop's rides, etc.. If you're into airplanes, Jim can talk that, too; he and I just spent a couple of hours at the Museum of Flight about six weeks ago.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-18-2007, 08:12 PM
J-Dub...we had the same type failures. The Koenig pin was just too brittle to withstand the forces. Many others had similar situations and Pauly Bogosian answered most of boat racer problems throughout the midwest when he introduced us to the aircraft rivets. I am thinking its the same metallurgy makeup as what John referred to. It was a lightweight yellowish tan with a tint of green colored pin that you could really tighten the prop nut up without shearing. We had to do that because, if you didn't tighten it enough, the centrifugal force would throw the pin of a surfacing prop, but with the rifle blue Koenig pin the pressure of tightening it that much would cause it to break if too much pressure was applied during racing.

After around 1973 we had to drill all the prop shafts to 1/4" holes to keep from shearing pins. We used the same type metallurgy, but with aircraft bolts instead of rivets. They were 1/4" X 1 1/4" and we would saw off the head and SAE fine thread ends. You could really tighten them up and they would give during the race. When we took the props off, the bolts were not straight any longer. You could see on the bolts where each end came out of the prop shaft. We never had to drive them out, but you could tell by the marks that without the tensil strength and give, that sometimes a lesser pin would have failed. Bill Seebold at that time was boring all our props with a 1/4" shear pin hole.

arcticracer
12-20-2007, 01:03 AM
Smitty:

All the photos are still at my dads house, with the exception of one that I brought home by accident in a pile of old Propeller mags. Dad did have a CU and DU Castagnato. He set a few records at Lawrence Lake, but never got a kilo record that I remember. If he did they did not last. He was very close though. They were pretty boats, and for those who are not familiar with them they had a flat chine on the left, and a rounded chine on the right. Made for a fast 1 2/3 mi. course boat. Later on Dad and Joe Price took the C boat and added a funky fiberglass needle nose to it to make it legal for D. I will post the photo when I get home this weekend. Tried everything to try to get that D record away from Ron at D-Lake.

They had a nickname for them "Cast Iron Magneto", must have been heavy. They went away eventually, Joe built a pair of new boats.

Working in the small village of Tanana, Alaska on the Yukon River this week, could be close to 50 below tonight. It is on the course of the Yukon 800. So don't want to hear anybody complaining about the cold! Down to about 3 hours of daylight too.

smittythewelder
12-20-2007, 05:33 PM
I REMEMBER!! That pointy-nosed boat looked like some early NASA project.

Who was the guy in Fairbanks that had a DSH picklefork hydro and an older Yamato 350cc? He got hold of me years ago and I photocopied my engine manual for him. Somebody thought he died a few years ago. Did he ever get to run the engine, or race?

Also, DP2, maybe you could put up a new thread somewhere in BRF on the current status (and maybe even the history, if you are ambitious and can get some help), of our type of outboard racing in Alaska. I think there used to be an annual marathon on the Tanana River, but how about the Yukon? Is there an active club in the Fairbanks area, or was there ever? We don't care if it's wildcat or APBA, we'd like to hear about it. Down in Anchorage there used to be a family named Urquhart that was very active. Is there any racing in Anchorage now?

Unfortunately, a lot of the racing in out-of-the-way locales petered out after the early '60s as it got harder to find parts for the Merc engines. Maybe there was an attitude change with a younger generation. I went to a race in 1965 on Lac la Hache, way up in the middle of Briitish Columbia. Lots of fun; it was the highlight of a small town festival. But by ten years later it was all gone, and one of the local racers told me that all the young guys wanted to do was drink.

arcticracer
12-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Smitty-

So you remember the Needle Nosed Cast Iron Magneto..... Dad won 2-US in CU, but I don't recall if he made in in DU. Think it was only one year. I remember how hard it is to run enough races, and win enough of them to get Nat. high point. Even harder to do if you don't win at Nationals which Dad never did. I have a lot of respect for racers that do it over and over again, in multiple classes even.

Back in the day there was a very active racing scene in Alaska, stock outboard, mod, and probably alkys too. You are right, things were changing by 1970 and there is no organized racing in Alaska other than the Fairbanks club which has been around since 1964. Fairbanks Outboard Association. You were probably hearing about the Yukon 800 which started as the Yukon 700 in 1964 as a bar room bet when they raced "tin boats" from Circle City to Ruby, the entire course was on the Yukon River.

Today it is still run on Summer Solstice weekend from Fairbanks to Galena, 400 miles one way on one day, then return the next day. I have written quite a bit about the race just search on Yukon 800 or go to www.yukon800.com. You will freak out when you see the boats, quite unique. There is some stuff on Youtube too.

The guy with the D hydro, yes I know about it. There is another guy in town with a laydown C hydro and Yamato C, Jackovich I think is his name. I was talking to him one day and he told me about the D boat, it was in their companys storage building so I went to have a look, was for sale. It was unfinished, and sort of expensive as I recall. I passed on it. The fellow did pass away who owned it that is all I know. Now and then Jackovich can be seen making a run down the Chena river in town with it.

Here is a short clip of one of the boats, having some fun at the finish of a 440 mile race in Fairbanks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf1vetwBfKE

smittythewelder
12-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Interesting. There are quite a few "swamp-boats" to be found around Alaska, so it's not surprising that some version would be devised for racing. However, in the '50s there were regular APBA-type outboard hydros and runabouts, such as Hal Kellys and Swifts, being raced in Alaska, both closed course and marathons. Big Lake, out of Anchorage, was one place they ran. My understanding was that racing was on a long slow decline in the Anchorage area until 1978, when I sold them on the Yamato 80 with a long letter, and shipped them four or six engines. For some years after that, you could find a report of club activity in Anchorage in every issue of "Propellor" magazine. Maybe it has all disappeared by now. Jet-skis and bass-boats have killed traditional outboard racing in many places. Where a kid used to build a Minimax or Skeeter from a set of plans, and then a Hal Kelly boat, now his folks buy him a turn-key jet-ski. If it weren't for guys like you whose dads raced outboards, this sport would go extinct in no time.

Mark75H
12-21-2007, 03:03 PM
... in the '50s there were regular APBA-type outboard hydros and runabouts, such as Hal Kellys and Swifts, being raced in Alaska, both closed course and marathons ...

Smitty is exactly right ... here is a picture from Alaska someone sent me years ago when I was first researching on the internet:

smittythewelder
12-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Oh man, Sam, can you imagine some poor hunter out trying to get an animal for the freezer, hearing the shriek of those six pipes! "Call of the Wild" has to be the most perfect possible name, for that boat, in that place!

carl lewis
12-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Here are 2 pics from Lake Lawrence I'm guessing '72-'73 when Gerry set the B hydro record. The first shot is waiting for the heat Walin in the boat and Jim Hallum in the waders. shot 2 is Walin , Hallum, Rich Koch launching and Ralph Hildebrand with the rope

Master Oil Racing Team
12-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Those are some priceless and historical pictures Carl. I can especially appreciate the first one with Gerry sitting on the side of the cockpit with his head down waiting for the gun. That is a very telling pic. Knowing that it ended in a spectacular record run just makes it that much better.:cool:

Ron Hill
12-21-2007, 07:36 PM
For many years Keller (Leonard) would write a short story on each invoice that he included with each speedometer....and he'd say something about the "FANTOM". For many years were never knew who the "FANTOM" was....Here is Gerry Walin in his boat with "FANTOM" on the side...Classic picture for sure, Carl....thanks....

ADD: Anyone know anything about Ralph "Hog Body" Hildebrand??? IS he alive? Is he doing ok?? Lost track of him when he moved to Havasu!!! Heard he might be in like Arkansas????

RichardKCMo
12-21-2007, 07:55 PM
No problem on L O Ozarks Don't have a problem with air boats anymore since a couple were shot. Haven't had one here for several yrs.
I wonder who that water belongs to anyways??? Them that live on it or them that use it??
RichardKCMo
Oh man, Sam, can you imagine some poor hunter out trying to get an animal for the freezer, hearing the shriek of those six pipes! "Call of the Wild" has to be the most perfect possible name, for that boat, in that place!

Mark75H
12-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Carl, those are great

Jerry Combs
12-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Carl,

I think those pictures are a bit older than you think, when I raced in the Western Divisionals at Moses Lake in 1970 or 1971 Gerry was running bounce pipes on his Anzani, I was running a Koenig that I had gotten from Marcell Belleville on one of Fred Hauenstein's old Bellcraft C-D boats that had blown off the trailer on the way back from the Nationals. I can still remember Gerry and I hitting the start line in the first heat of AOH full bore and flying past everyone else, we had both taken very long runs at the clock and were really aired out................best memory I have of my racing, both of us were very closely matched speed wise............first turn I threw a prop blade and Gerry lost a pipe..........we both sat and watched the race. Second heat Gerry had the pipes from his B and I was running a prop from my B, neither one of us was really competitive the second heat.

I sure miss that Koenig and Bellcraft, it was the best running combination that I ever had. Sure wish I had a picture of it.

Jerry

J-Dub
12-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Ron, the Region 12 sun may have affected your memory a bit… “Hog Body” is Chuck Walters and living well in the Havasu of Washington, Moses Lake. Ralph Hildebrand is also very alive and very well in Everett, Washington.

FYI: The only one who can properly pronounce/scream “Hog Body” is probably “Crazy” Al Clark of DeSouza.

J-Dub

carl lewis
12-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Jerry,
you might be right on the years however the earliest it could have been was 1971, as I was a young J racer back then with my first camera.

a bit more to the story with the pictures..

when Gerry was going out for the first heat Hallum was the rope puller, and I remember he somehow caught the timing belt with the rope and pulled it right off, needless to say DNS well being a newbie J kid at the time I just watched this slow talking guy kind of scratch his head turn the mag pulley over a few times and say something to Gerry...
At the time I was thinking who is this goof ball pulling the rope???
well, needless to say I had NO idea who Jim Hallum was.

So the got it fixed and the picture is Gerry waiting for the second heat or the re run of the first heat ( I don't remember) and he is most likely wondering of the belt is going to say on, Hard to have a record run ready to go when things happen ..

hope this clears a few things up.

Carl

Jerry Combs
12-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Carl,

I think you might be right on the year being 1971. That was the last year that I raced and Gerry may have been using more than one setup at that time, I remember his trailer sure had a lot of motors and more props than I had seen in one trailer with the possible exception of Ted May. If I remember right Gerry was running his Kilo setup at the Divisional and I think he had just upped the kilo record (98mph?) It was the first time that I had seen bounce pipes on an Anzani. Gerry and I had the longest boats of any of the AOH's at the time.

Jerry

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
12-22-2007, 12:03 PM
This is what I hoped would happen on BRF concerning those days of the Anzanis, Harrisons and the up and coming motors that would eventually surpass them. The characters around this stuff were some neat people with gifts many only came to know the more contact they had at race sites, in their garages, at marinas, club meetings and the such. They were and still are an amazing bunch and all these stories is the real fleshing out of the history they all contributed to and put a stamp on things in terms of development and results. Now if some of us can omly get these movers and shakers of the day to add to what people are already posting on here would be something else coming from their perspective of the day or that meet.

Question? I have a CD from Jim Hallum featuring racing from the late 1950s on up and I would like to get individual pictures from the DVD as a stop action shot of the action. What is a good computer program to collect those pictures in a format suitable for posting on here. It also would be pretty cool to post the whole DVD as a movie as well. Suggestions????

smittythewelder
12-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Well, something doesn't compute. Carl, is it possible you got this photo from somebody who had shot it earlier, and that you are inadvertently mixing memories from different years? It sure happens to me, and you're old enough to have lost a lot of neurons, too! Anyway, that appears to be a 2-carb, open pipe engine, and I didn't think Fantum ran them like that after about '69. Maybe this was a backup motor. If you saw them throw an ignition belt, that means they were using the Merc photocell ignition instead of the Lucas mag; I can't tell from the photo. What's more, I think that is the 10' 8" Marchetti I bought from him in '69 or '70 (a heavy boat, which I shouldn't have bought), after selling my 10' 2" Marchetti to Howard Shaw when he got into racing with the Myers crowd. The paint-job is different, but I think it's the boat, because after selling his boat to me, Fantum then built a B and a C boat that were more-or-less Marchetti copies. I don't think he had any other Marchettis after he sold the one to me. He also had a smaller semi-short-sponson Sid-Craft that he used in AOH, but I can't remember when he stopped using that.

In any case, Wayne, this would not have been the famous 100mph run we have referred to here many times, but one of the 5-mile closed-course runs.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-22-2007, 04:53 PM
I knew it wasn't the kilo run, but there were some big competition records set out that way also. That's what I meant when I referred to the clock. That shot typifies to me the transition between being in the pits doing the things it takes to get ready and the actual firing up the motor and getting a shove out of the pits. Waiting. You do nothing but look at the balls on the clock and/or a watch.

smittythewelder
12-22-2007, 05:10 PM
What did I say about losing neurons? DUHHH. I hope I don't start drooling on myself.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
12-23-2007, 09:17 AM
It never ceases to amaze that racers back then when Anzanis, Harrisons and the appearances of the Flatheads etc. with all that horsepower were able to go as fast as they did without blowing over more frequently than they did using the conventional hydros of the day. Just running DSH in conventional hydros I found myself taking showers some 13 times before the Butts Aerowing pickelforks caught on in the late 1970s out here and then only once since and that was because a steering pulley broke on a Butts Super C hydro and certainly not because of packing air all the other ones were attributed to. That means the skills at those speeds out there being set in Region 10 setting those M, 250 and 350 hydri records was exceptional using conventional hydros meanwhile at lower speeds we were in stock hydros must have looked like netted before beached flapping fish by comparrison.

Jerry Combs
12-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Anyway, that appears to be a 2-carb, open pipe engine, and I didn't think Fantum ran them like that after about '69. Maybe this was a backup motor. If you saw them throw an ignition belt, that means they were using the Merc photocell ignition instead of the Lucas mag; I can't tell from the photo.

Smitty,

I looked at the pictures in photoshop blown up and it looks to me as if Gerry was running a Lucas mag. I think that he was still running the mags with the bounce pipes at the Divisionals at Moses Lake but I could be wrong, after all that was 37 years ago and my mind is not as sharp now as it was then. Er, what the heck did I have for breakfast a few hours ago? :confused:

Jerry

CSR4C
12-23-2007, 06:24 PM
I was operating scanner 2 at Devil's when Gerry Walin set at record at 100mph and a few years leading up to it. He was running at the speed for 2 or three years but could never back up his first run. I remember him going 106 mph one way.
It was great to be part of that history.

Darrell

J-Dub
12-23-2007, 06:59 PM
I was told that they would stick a piston every time Gerry would leave the traps slowing down. If you look at the photo Jeff Lytle posted earlier you will see an additional linkage going to the Vacturi hooked to the needle valve. That was there so when Gerry could richen the carburetor and slow down without burning a piston. Where could that linkage be now??? Wait I know! Steve Greaves still uses it at the kilos on his speedy twins so they can adjust the needle valve under way...

And to think all this happened a few years before I was born...

J-Dub

carl lewis
12-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Well, something doesn't compute. Carl, is it possible you got this photo from somebody who had shot it earlier, and that you are inadvertently mixing memories from different years?

ummmmmmm...no

(kind of a cheep shot there Phil....)

but it would be cool to figure how to take my negatives, scan them, and be able to post them without having to create pictures first.

CSR4C
12-23-2007, 08:30 PM
I know he stuck it up at least twice slowing down at the end of the traps. One time when it stuck, that big two blade was in the wrong position and he went in the water real hard.
Darrell

smittythewelder
12-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Now don't go all sensitive on me, Carl; you know I'm not questioning your veracity, it's just that the outfit didn't look right for '71. I guess that must be the boat Gerry built for himself. If you remember taking that picture in '71, then it has to be my memory that's faulty, as I can readily believe. I have run across photos that I must have shot, but don't remember doing it at all.

Mark75H
12-24-2007, 06:23 PM
but it would be cool to figure how to take my negatives, scan them, and be able to post them without having to create pictures first.

It can be done with the right software. I can do it, so can Wayne and a few others

carl lewis
12-24-2007, 06:26 PM
any name of that software????

Carl

Master Oil Racing Team
12-25-2007, 08:25 AM
I do it with the software that came with my Canon scanner. You may already be able to do it and not know it Carl. If your scanner has an auto function, take it off of that and see what else you have. Mine for instance has one called Platen and you do black and white with it. For B&W photos use platen and choose grayscale. For slides go to film then click on color positive. For color negatives go to color negative and for B&W you use monochromatic negative. Yours may not read like mine, but if you have functions other than auto you can play around and figure it out. There are scanners also that will do multiple negatives and slides as well as different size formats. If this doesn't work then Sam or others could post names of some other software.

ADD: The great news is that you still have your negatives. Most people save the photos and lose or do not take care of the negatives.

f8andbethere
12-31-2007, 03:16 PM
JDub -- why not consider donating this boat to the HARM museum there in Seattle. I am sure that david Williams could do a great display with the boat and give proper pub to its builder and to Jerry.
f/8

J-Dub

yukon 800 history
02-13-2008, 03:59 PM
This is real interesting stuff, the pictures and history. I am currently working on a documentary project with my brother about river racing in Fairbanks Alaska. The Fairbanks Outboard Association started somewhere in the early fifties. It mainly involved small D utility, or hydro boats. Gravel pit racing, or short river runs. There was also the fairbanks-nenana-fairbanks marathon. This racee was an annual event, and probably the infant of the Yukon 800. A couple of names with that time were Harvey Stryken, Harold Gillam, JD rank, and so on. According to our best info, in 1959 in a bar Mike Dozette, and perhaps Alan Persinger came up with the idea of a Great Marathon! the first race was in 1960, and started at Circle city. It went past Ft. Yukon, Beaver, Steven's Village, Rampart, Tanana, Manley, Nenana, and to Fairbanks. Ray Kasola was the first winner. That race lasted till about 1963, then the course changed to start in Fairbanks. They raced to Ruby and back until about 1967 when the race was extended to Galena. That course has stood until today. Any pictures, video, or other info anyone out there has on any of these early days of Fairbanks boat racing is much appreciated call anytime kirt-388-0808

geodavid
02-14-2008, 04:09 PM
If Carl said he took that picture, I would bet my paycheck that he in fact did!
There was an incident at DePue in the John Ward race, I think 1973 where Gerry and I were both broken down in the first turn. Next lap, an un named driver who is a really good friend, went a little wide and sideswiped Gerry, however, before contact he did a double jack knife jumping out of harms way. To this day, I have never seen a person move so fast. I'd say that dive would have been a perfect 10 in the Olympics. Gerry was a very nice guy. I know he liked kids because he was always great to us younger drivers.
We all miss him very much. I had the pleasure of seeing him run over 100 at Devil's Lake in 1969. They did not up the record, but it was one of the most amazing sights in boat racing. the rooster tail was about 20 boat lengths.