PDA

View Full Version : Preaching Revolution Ron Hill???

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
06-05-2006, 08:08 PM
I saw your post on hydroracernet and just could not resist seeing some of you hay making here! :) You trying to reverse engineer stuff back to when racing was really racing???

As you posted on hydroracernet. I think I am gonna slap my self on the wrist!! Bad boy! Slap!

The problem with combining classes is all the boats currently running are so specialized, so trick, so cool, and so fast, that they can't run in water that has any chop.....

Questions:

1. Why did the Pro Division rule out tunnel boats??? Answer: OPC Sport "E", were legally PRO E's and F's... They did several things "WRONG" in the eyes of the PRO DIVISION. One, they burned gas. Two, they had electric starters. Three, they could and would run all day, every day. Four, they could turn sharper than a hydro..... So, the answer for these new comers was to kick them out...(An OPC "E" did win National High Point)....

APBA has ALWAYS passed rules against NEW ideas so to protect the status quo....(Don't screw with my class, start your own)...

Jay Root built a tunnel boat with a Mercruiser and ran it in inboard hydro. The INBOARD DIVISION took care of Jay. They passed a rule against any trimable drive...(Jay didn't win the Nationals but lead and scared the fire out of the inboard hydro people)...

2. Why do we "BOW" to 12 boats as a full field? My brother ran against 32 "A" Hydros in the 1949 Hearst Newspaper Regatta...35,000 spectators...Havasu and Parker use to run over 100 boats at a time. NASCAR starts, what 43 cars....How cool would it be to watch three Dodges run for fiv laps. Then three or four Chevies???

3. Why not more laps for more boats? 10 boats, ten laps...20 lap main???

4. Why clock starts?

5. Why not Modified LeMans starts??? (Easy to announce who is racing, who is your sponsors, where you are in points...with clock starts all you hear is noise with boats running all over the lake)...

6. Why have a MOD/PRO/STOCK Division? (Divisions by speed?? Transom height rules???)

7. WHY AREN'T ALL KNEELER RULES, for CONDUCTIONG a race, the same????

8. Why don't more classes have Nationals at different locations?? FYI: 45SST, in the stock Division, have already had their Nationals for this year. The SHORT COURSE Nationals were at Bakersfield. And the Marathon Nationals were at Indio. By having this classes's Nationals, at a NON FIVE-SEVEN day regatta, the races had more racers, some racers were able to race in their FIRST APBA Nationals...

9. Why not two levels of CLASSES? Like National and Local.... Local classes would have Nationals wherever they were bid for? The National Nationals would run NATIONAL NOVICE (J), A, Hot Rod, C, Classic (D).

****Hot Rod would be the classes name....and many COMBINED motors would be run in these NATIONAL CLASSES...

10. Combined Classes WOULD BE NATIONAL CLASSES: Why not DESIGN a hydro for each class and a runabout? THESE DESIGNS WOULD HAVE HEAVIER WEIGHTS THAN CURRENT WEIGHTS. RUNABOUTS WOULD HAVE 10 TO 12 HIGH SIDES, A BOTTOM WIDTH, AND FINS ON THE BOTTOM, TELESCOPIC NOSE PIECES LIKE OPC PICKLE FORKS.

HYDROS WOULD HAVE SPONSON DEPTH, BOTTOM WIDTH, COCKPIT COMBING HEIGHT AND SPECS, TELESCOPIC PICKLE FORKS LIKE OPC...

The botom Line: Most NORMAL people want to get up, eat breakfast and enjoy their day. Toward evening they like to eat dinner at a reasonable time... We have all seen the results of racing from dawn til dark.

We race one boat in SST 45, on a weekend, it takes at least three people working full time to keep this boat running. We ran two boats, last race, and it came close to killing us.

Look around and ask yourself why did so and so quit??? Why did so and so go go kart racing???

Last question:

11. Why does the ENTRY LEVEL OF APBA,as kneelers is considered, require you to take a week or more off work to run at the Nationals...? You could race at the Indianapolis 500 and not miss work or school.

Does anyone realize that there are less than five Stock drivers in Region 12 anymore? And for the last five years, on the same weekend as the Nationals, there has been a boat race at Long Beach, California, at the Marine Stadium, one of the finest bodies of water in the world to race on....Not one kneeler has showed up for this race, because they all traveled to some place east of the Mississippi to race the NATIONALS....This Long Beach race has more than 100 entries and thousands of spectators....I've had people ask me where are the little boats? I say they went to the Nationals...

If we had a LOCAL CLASS NATIONALS, maybe someone would race little boats in SoCAL....

ADD: The problem is, if I was appointed the "KING", I'd make rules and no one would want to do it my way...they'd rather run against three boats for three laps, and be NATIONAL SOMETHING....