PDA

View Full Version : 50hp Yamaha or Tohatsu

Growler
07-18-2006, 01:47 AM
Would anyone like to share any thoughts or advice on either Yamaha or Tohatsu stock race motor also props to suit

Damo
07-21-2006, 05:14 AM
I recently raced in a class here in Australia called 800cc open hull class and having used both these motors I found the top end on both were about the same but had more low down grunt with the Tohatsu. I used an open face cleaver with low rake and 10 1/2"x21" pitch. This went quite well but I naw race the 25hp class (better budget)
Hope this helps
Damien:)

Fast Fred
07-21-2006, 06:23 AM
the Hotsu has split side tranfurs, the crank press is weak.
the yamaha you can snip the revlimiter and go.

70hp carbs wake them up:cool:

mercguy
01-27-2007, 07:04 PM
The best carb is between 70 CES and 50 size, the CES carb seems to be to big. The crank on the TOHATSU used to be weak the present model is improved. Improve the reeds, both engines have to small reed cages, only switching to Boyeseens wont do much good you have to open them up and put in different reeds, Yamaha has restricted exhaustpipe which is not the case with TOHATSU. It is easiet ot get ponies from the YAMAHA but The TOHATSU will give more punch and takes more of your time. I have tuned YAMAHA 50s for 20 years and Tohatsu 50s for 3 year.
My choice is TOHATSU

Below is one YAMAHA i tuned

http://gumboracingteam.com/grt/index.php?lang=EN&p=News_forum/1&offs=10&show=34

that is good news! What have you found to be a needed improvement area with the Tohatsu 50?

jeff55vDSH
01-29-2007, 08:22 AM
that is good news! What have you found to be a needed improvement area with the Tohatsu 50?

Don't get too excited Daren, I bet it's gonna be quite a few years before they let us mod them out in our catagory. We'd eat the old 44mod merc's alive!
;)

mercguy
01-29-2007, 11:26 AM
Don't get too excited Daren, I bet it's gonna be quite a few years before they let us mod them out in our catagory. We'd eat the old 44mod merc's alive!
;)

hell, they tried to eliminate the stock Tohatsu in Dmod at the meeting!

kampenracing
01-29-2007, 04:26 PM
A Mod Tohatsu will definitely eat up a Mod 44. We run a Mod Yamaha in super E and they are definitely faster than a Merc 44. They are very similar engines.

mercguy
01-29-2007, 07:38 PM
A Mod Tohatsu will definitely eat up a Mod 44. We run a Mod Yamaha in super E and they are definitely faster than a Merc 44. They are very similar engines.

boy, if APBA really allowed the Tohatsu to be modified (chambers, porting, carbs, crank work, etc), I believe it would be an OMC 3cyl (APBA FE) killer too! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

crankbearing
01-29-2007, 08:55 PM
boy, if APBA really allowed the Tohatsu to be modified (chambers, porting, carbs, crank work, etc), I believe it would be an OMC 3cyl (APBA FE) killer too! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes you are absolutely RIGHT!!! A modded yamy, Tohatsu or Suzuki would smoke a merc 4 banger and a 3 cylinder OMC hands down. I/ve got a powerhead at home right now that I am doing up for a buddy and the things I am finding here are just nuts and I mean simple things...

Say no more, I gave my two cents to Jeff Williams on why I thought the motor should not be in the MOD class as a mod motor and I am a MOD commisioner... It has nothing to do with me or bass it simply is a faster motor with the right changes and should not be in that class IT SHOULD BE IN WITH THE FE'S

Regards,

mercguy
01-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Yes you are absolutely RIGHT!!! A modded yamy, Tohatsu or Suzuki would smoke a merc 4 banger and a 3 cylinder OMC hands down. I/ve got a powerhead at home right now that I am doing up for a buddy and the things I am finding here are just nuts and I mean simple things...

Say no more, I gave my two cents to Jeff Williams on why I thought the motor should not be in the MOD class as a mod motor and I am a MOD commisioner... It has nothing to do with me or bass it simply is a faster motor with the right changes and should not be in that class IT SHOULD BE IN WITH THE FE'S

Regards,

the "conditions" it is allowed to race in Dmod, is to keep the powerhead in the stock configuration as in Dstock, so it is not a class killer. Only changes are no height restriction and allowance of 4 blade props. It is pretty much the same way the Yamato C motor was allowed in Cmod........less expansion chambers. I suspect "eventually" it will end up in the FE category.........then allowed to be "moded out".........

PS: on certain courses, a GOOD 44XS will beat a Dmod 44...........

kampenracing
01-30-2007, 04:27 PM
We have a modified 2 modified yamahas in our club. They are APBA spec FE's. We don't have ours worked out yet but the one that is worked out will definitely run with the best 3cyl OMC's in the country!!!!

Jeff Akers
01-30-2007, 05:10 PM

Not sure what you mean by similar engines here:confused:

Is your SE based on the Yamaha70 or ?

As far as the Tohatsu vs merc....Is there anyone out there who has significantly modded a Tohatsu and is eating up Mod 44's or OMC FE's ? or is this just an asumtion?

I think there have been some guy's in region10 who have run the Tohatsu in D stock at the same hight the merc is alowed...and they arent by any means eating up the 44xs.....

PLEASE don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to stir up a debate...I just Havent seen any "REAL RACING DATA" to say the engine is all that it is feared to be..

Looking for "REAL" Info, not a Dyno chart;)

RichardKCMo
01-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Jeff, that one Kieth's talking about is really fast , that's from a spectators view around the track, the toosu in stock form can't handle a 40" ( realD ) mod merc , but more to come , after all 2 yrs. as your parity people say just isn't enough time.
Add no height restrictions in NBRA .
RichardKCMoQUOTE=Jeff Akers;28677]Not sure what you mean by similar engines here:confused:

As far as the Tohatsu vs merc....Is there anyone out there who has significantly modded a Tohatsu and is eating up Mod 44's or OMC FE's ? or is this just an asumtion?

I think there have been some guy's in region10 who have run the Tohatsu in D stock at the same hight the merc is alowed...and they arent by any means eating up the 44xs.....

PLEASE don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to stir up a debate...I just Havent seen any "REAL RACING DATA" to say the engine is all that it is feared to be..

Looking for "REAL" Info, not a Dyno chart;)[/QUOTE]

mercguy
01-31-2007, 12:38 AM
Not sure what you mean by similar engines here:confused:

Looking for "REAL" Info, not a Dyno chart;)

the Yammer is a 3cyl 40/50 that is also a legal FE motor (and would be my choice in FE, since it doesn't vibrate your balls off...LOL). No "mods" are allowed to the Tohatsu in DMH (and won't be for quite a long time), so will not be "smokin" the Mercs or OMCs for awhile now. The reason they do win once in awhile in DMH (in Reg10) is because they FINISH the race, instead of breaking down. That is what is so nice about racing a BRAND NEW motor! Just get in the boat, push the electric start button and go racing............;)

oh ya, and if ya need parts for your Tohatsu, just run down to the local Tohatsu dealer and order them up (if they do not have them in stock) and will be there in less than a week. If your Bass tower or lower unit needs parts (very unlikely, as they are both pretty bullet proof), just call Sid and you will have what you need in a couple days...............now, how nice is that??

PS: I will have your "real data" shortly................ya know what I mean Jeff! Can't wait to run with ya in DMH! Funny thing, I am a Merc tech and I bought a Tohatsu, and Jeff, YOU are an OMC tech, and YOU bought a Tohatsu...........shouldn't that be a wake up call for others????

jeff55vDSH
01-31-2007, 08:13 AM
We are all talking about the 3cyl Tohatsu. The 2cyl would make a good anchor as far as I'm concerned.

Jeff Akers
01-31-2007, 10:24 PM
PS: I will have your "real data" shortly................ya know what I mean Jeff! Can't wait to run with ya in DMH! Funny thing, I am a Merc tech and I bought a Tohatsu, and Jeff, YOU are an OMC tech, and YOU bought a Tohatsu...........shouldn't that be a wake up call for others????

Yea, I know what you mean Daren.........Yep, looking forward to running the Tohatsu in the antique merc class:eek: :rolleyes: ;)

mercguy
01-31-2007, 11:03 PM
Yea, I know what you mean Daren.........Yep, looking forward to running the Tohatsu in the antique merc class:eek: :rolleyes: ;)

"antique Merc class".................:p

crankbearing
02-01-2007, 10:48 AM
When the Tohatsu starts to win on a regular basis, then you can call them Antiques..:p
I don't know how long has the Yammy 50HP has been around. The Tohatsu is a near photocopy of that engine.. Maybe we could find some engineers who think for themselves and can design a new motor... not copy someone else's OH YA! I forgot there all cast at the same place to save some money...

Have either of you tried to order parts yet.. how about 8-10 weeks for a recoil housing and carb kits. Now! that is Fast but I called Sierra yesterday and ordered parts for the 44 and WOW they were here today... Any business that knows their stuff is reliable in the field are not going to stock HARD Parts.. like pistons etc... How many tohatsu 40 and 50's are on EBAY, Hardly any, GOOD LuCK with that... :p

Neil_M50D2
02-01-2007, 10:53 AM
You guys are hilarious, keep it coming. I need something funny after reading about the APBA SORC wisdom.
Neil Bass

jeff55vDSH
02-01-2007, 11:39 AM
How many tohatsu 40 and 50's are on EBAY, Hardly any, GOOD LuCK with that... :p

There must be a lot of satisfied customers out there. :p

crankbearing
02-01-2007, 11:55 AM
There must be a lot of satisfied customers out there. :p

Hey jeff,

Yes! That's my point... If there in the field running and they do not break why do they need to keep parts in stock? They do not!!! If you are building a spare engine - what's the route, another complete cause you ain't gonna find many used ones around.. :p :eek: :p

Neil_M50D2
02-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Dave, you buy one and I will see that you get the parts. Need a short block, long block, or just parts. Or are you just looking for rusty parts?
Neil

Jeff Akers
02-01-2007, 02:01 PM
When the Tohatsu starts to win on a regular basis, then you can call them Antiques..:p

Dave, It was a joke!:) ....wining races has nothing to do with how old an engine is.....Hell, most of APBA's class's could be considerd antique do to the age of the motors being used!

I didn't want to start a Debate....... Was Just looking for somthing I know I will never find without doing it myself..............REAL INFO !

Let's all just go Racing:cool:

That means you too Jeff55v:D.......you going to get it wet this year?

Have a good day Boy's:)

crankbearing
02-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Dave, It was a joke!:) ....wining races has nothing to do with how old an engine is.....Hell, most of APBA's class's could be considerd antique do to the age of the motors being used!

I didn't want to start a Debate....... Was Just looking for somthing I know I will never find without doing it myself..............REAL INFO !

Jeff A,

Yes I knew that it was! Hence the smily at the end of my sentence.. Mine was too..

Hey Neil, I plan on it, I just have too sell some inventory to buy the first one.

Regards,

Neil_M50D2
02-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Jeff, Dave Scott and I have talked on the phone several times. I was just poking at Dave as he thinks a lot like me. No bad intentions. I wish everyone agreed with "let's just go racing". I grew up wildcat racing where everyone ran no mater what it was and everyone had fun. No politics, just fun. I found racing Pro to be the same fun, but stock was always a different mindset.

By the way, I prefer Ron Hill's site as it has better technical discussions

Neil

mercguy
02-01-2007, 06:48 PM
that's what I am talking about boyz!!!!!!

I have convinced myself that is just so much easier to go AOF (or even NBRA) racing, rather than APBA...............lot less of a headache and no $^(#)@ holes trying to control every little detail of racing.....................takes the fun out of it!

as for them "antique" Mercs............gotta love them though, as they are the ones that pay my bills!!!!!!!!;) ;)

mercguy
02-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Jeff A,

Yes I knew that it was! Hence the smily at the end of my sentence.. Mine was too..

Hey Neil, I plan on it, I just have too sell some inventory to buy the first one.

Regards,

hey Dave, ya sure your "44XS" buddies are gonna love ya any more (if and when ya get a Tohatsu) ???:D :D

mercguy
02-01-2007, 06:51 PM

hey Jeff by pal, ain't that OMC of yers an antiquer also??:p :p

Jeff Akers
02-01-2007, 08:35 PM
hey Jeff my pal, ain't that OMC of yers an antiquer also??:p :p

She sure is.........30 years old this year to be exact;)

Neal, I kinda figured you guy's have had chat or two:D

Dave, aren't you the Canadian distributor for the Bass Tohatsu...:cool:

jeff55vDSH
02-02-2007, 07:23 AM
Hey jeff,

Yes! That's my point... If there in the field running and they do not break why do they need to keep parts in stock? They do not!!! If you are building a spare engine - what's the route, another complete cause you ain't gonna find many used ones around.. :p :eek: :p

So if I follow that logic, I'd never buy a new car or truck. Because, after all, there are a lot more parts to be had for my old jalopy in the newspaper or salvage yard. And I can retrive spare parts from a salvage yard a lot quicker than a dealer can have them shipped to me.

Yes, Jeff A. I'll get it wet this year. I could go on and on about all the crap that has kept me on the shore. But I don't need to cry on anyones shoulder. And it would need to be on another thread anyway. Speaking of which, maybe we should get back to the original point of this thread.
Does Ron Hill offer any high performance props for either the stock Tohatsu or Yamaha? Are the props interchangable between the two motors? It sounds to me as if the two motors are very similar. A consideration may also be available props for the two motors.