PDA

View Full Version : Constantine & Depue

Donald
07-18-2006, 05:40 PM
I leave tomorrow with Bill Hosler( two 75 year ole farts still having fun) for Constantine, which is one of the best race venues in the world. Shade trees, level pits, RV's & camping in the pits and the American Legion has the best breakfast for $3. anywhere. I only run my 125 there, but I will check out the 175. On to Depue on Monday to try and get a good pit spot. Tuesday and Wednesday we will set up all the boats for testing when my time comes up. I have two 500SH's to set up. One for me on my old Dannish boat that I ran in Europe for ten years and the other for Marty Stahl on my old Pugh boat which it seems I have had for ever. We run the 500SH and the 175H on Friday, six heats, then on Saturday three heats of the 175WC, and on Sunday three heats of 125H and the final of the 175WC. Hosler says he's taking an oxygen bottle for me. I hope I'm making some of you old boat racers envious. This is for those all ole timers that couldn't make Depue this year. Looking forward to seeing you all at the reunion in Depue next year.

jrome
07-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Ralph,Great to see you still have it.I wish I could be there this year.But Wayne and I made a deal for 2007.Everybody have two great races. HOPE TO SEE YOU IN ALEX.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
07-19-2006, 05:41 AM
Ralph,Great to see you still have it.I wish I could be there this year.But Wayne and I made a deal for 2007.Everybody have two great races. HOPE TO SEE YOU IN ALEX.
Hi Joe, Wayne & others.

Will be meeting with Connie Payne next week at Depue and Doug Hall has offered to help. Just for starters, can you think of anything special we should be looking in to as you two put together the Lone Star reunion.

I guess the biggest thing to do at this point is to get a deal with a site for the evening function and to put together a committee to do the chasing of former eligible racers from the 50's through the 80's. Once a list is put together, generate a mailing based on the dates & functions.

It would still be nice to hace a composite CD of your many photos, and perhaps some large photo posters of the old guys competing.

John

Master Oil Racing Team
07-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Hey John....I'm high on a mountain at my friends house about 16 miles from Honolulu looking at Naval vessels pass by.

I don't know what the others think about it, but we didn't limit the attendees to any particular decades, or even categories. They majority of racers at the Lone Star Reunion were racers from the past, but there were many current racers and most of those were OPC. There are many ties in Texas between the alky and OPC guys and a lot of it had to do with the fact that only the OPC guys currentely race at the Baytown Boat Club. Anyway, I think it would be good to invite all who attend the nationals. My opinion.

Haven't thought about posters, but I think with today's technology it would be easy. Good idea. Joe and I will be working on DVD's just like we did for Lone Star, and anyone out there that may have some movies are VHS, etc. that they could bring would add to it. I would make a copy and not bring anything original.

Got word have to leave to go to Jurassic Park...bye!

John Schubert T*A*R*T
07-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Hey John....I'm high on a mountain at my friends house about 16 miles from Honolulu looking at Naval vessels pass by.

I don't know what the others think about it, but we didn't limit the attendees to any particular decades, or even categories. They majority of racers at the Lone Star Reunion were racers from the past, but there were many current racers and most of those were OPC. There are many ties in Texas between the alky and OPC guys and a lot of it had to do with the fact that only the OPC guys currentely race at the Baytown Boat Club. Anyway, I think it would be good to invite all who attend the nationals. My opinion.

Haven't thought about posters, but I think with today's technology it would be easy. Good idea. Joe and I will be working on DVD's just like we did for Lone Star, and anyone out there that may have some movies are VHS, etc. that they could bring would add to it. I would make a copy and not bring anything original.

Got word have to leave to go to Jurassic Park...bye!

I agree that all who want to attend would be welcome, but required to pay what we might be required to charge, if at all. However, on caveat, just like our OMC racing legends reunions. Pro drivers from the specific era (yet to be determined) should be recognized as such from that era. My intention is to have hats or shirts made to recognize those from that era. If there is an overwhelming requests that all be recognized, then all attendees would be eligible for a reunion hat, shirt or whatever, as this would be just that a reunion or gathering of Pro racers, rather then just those from the past. But, I would still need a head count through a registration process to be sure that there would be enough giveaways.

Roy Hodges
07-24-2006, 08:42 PM
After a V-8 race

Roy Hodges
07-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Doesn't anybody want to take a guess WHO is in this
Victorious boat ?

Miss BK
07-25-2006, 07:59 PM
That one is easy. It's this guy on the left....

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8581&stc=1&d=1136816153

The world famous Jimbo McConnell :D

Roy Hodges
07-25-2006, 08:25 PM
That's right . i'm not such a good photographer , this is about my best RACING pic i ever took , and i hadn't seen one like this of him in a V-8 boat. There was probably lots of them , though.
( Winning Sacramento, calif )

Miss BK
07-25-2006, 09:33 PM
I wish I could have seen him win there. Very nice photo!

I saw him race that boat the following year at Sacramento. :( That's when he had the accident that ended his career. That was quite horrifying to see, and I really thought we lost him forever...

But I got to help write an article about him for Hot Boat mag a couple of years ago, and then I saw him in San Diego shortly thereafter! That was way too cool. :D

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=374&stc=1&d=1102873877