PDA

View Full Version : John Broge info

Grin&Barrett
07-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Hospital information and updates are being posted here.

http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8255

largecar91
07-25-2006, 09:34 AM
I wish God speed to John. He is a hell of a good man and driver. He and his crew have went out of their way to lend me a hand at the races!!

Miss BK
07-25-2006, 01:40 PM
The first time I ever heard the name John Broge was about 20 years ago, while reading an article in Propeller Magazine.

But the article was not about boat racing -- it was an article about an injured racer who was having trouble with his medical bills.

A young racer named John Broge with a mohawk haircut came forward to raise money for this injured fellow racer. At his club or region banquet, John surprised the crowd by telling them he would shave off his mohawk if enough people donated to the injured racer's medical fund.

Donations soon came pouring in.

But what happened next was that a group of people came forward to donate money for John to *KEEP* his mohawk. So the bidding war began --- some donating to shave it; the rest donating to keep it intact. The bids got higher and higher! Whichever side pledged the most would get their wish.

By the end of the night, the "Shave it" side had bid more than the "Keep it" side, and right there at the banquet - John graciously let the winning club members cut away his mohawk. The photo of the famous "haircut" was featured in Propeller Magazine. All the money donated by both sides went to the injured racer.

I remember thinking: "Wow. That guy is something special!"

I didn't get the chance to meet him until 10 years later - and found out he really is just that special! I've never met anyone nicer. So this news of his injury is truly upsetting.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to you, John! No doubt, every single person who has ever met you will be sending their encouragment and well wishes your way!

Val

Ron Hill
07-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Chad had just started racing J runabout. The Winternationals were at Puddingstone and it seems they changed the size of restrictor plates from Saturday to Sunday. (They didn't make them larger)... Chad wasnt pleased because he couldn't get on plane and when we threw him on plane the motor was stalling..

John Castelli ran the J Runabout in A and he was helping, but the OMC was a new game for all of us... John Borge came up and started telling me that the float wasn't right and he'd fix it...In a bout ten minutes he had the carb apart and fixed the float. What he did helped us a lot...I'd have called it a racing secret...But to John it wasn't a secret, a Boat Racer needed help and he knew what they needed...He didn't help Chad because his name was "HILL"...He was a Boat racer needing help...

That was twenty years ago, but I still thank John everytime I see him. John is one of the great of our sport..

All the Hills hope he has a full and speedy recovery...

Dew1us
07-26-2006, 05:20 AM
Just to let you all know the haircut took place at Hinton, WV..