PDA

View Full Version : 1969 "Time Magazine" article

Tomtall
08-25-2006, 04:59 PM
Found this on the web. A 1969 "Time Magazine" story of the 1969 powerboat race at Havasu's world championship outboard marithon race.:cool:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,840481,00.html

The link redirects to an archive article. Allow time for link to redirect.;)

Mark75H
08-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Wow, that's cool!

swamppanther
08-25-2006, 07:38 PM
After reading that , My what we are missing nowadays!!!!

tthibodaux
08-25-2006, 07:48 PM
That was awesome..

Allen J. Lang
08-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the posting Tom. The 60's were great times. :D

Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al Lang :cool:

hydroc888
08-26-2006, 09:11 PM
That was great stuff.Remember Scotty in the pits Trying to buy a hot dog. He didnt know what to give the guy in our money .

Miss BK
08-27-2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks for posting that link. I was at that race - though only 8 years old. Havasu was my first introduction to power boat racing and I've been hooked ever since.

When Cesare Scotti won Havasu, he became my favorite racer - and I've got stacks of crayon drawings of the Red #33. Through magazines I could keep up with his victories and eagerly awaited his return to Havasu each year.

When he was killed in Paris in 1974, I was just devastated.

Some years ago while reading postings on rec.boats.racing.power, I came across a message that read, "Does anyone remember my father Cesare Scotti". My jawed dropped. I was ecstatic to meet the son of such a legend!

Massimo was only 9 when his father was killed, so he was looking to learn all he could about his father. We've been corresponding ever since. I even encouraged him to come to St Louis a few years ago --- and he arrived wearing his father's own "TEAM EVINRUDE" jacket! Wow. That was awesome.

I sent the link above to Massi, and here is his reply:

Thanks Val: I get that magazine in my library.
Sweeping the Factory, we have found an old article, I think about Havasu 1972: first was J. Sanders, driving a Scotti, powered by Johnson.
My sister don't remember where she have put it.
Fondly,
Massimo Scotti
Milano, Italy