PDA

View Full Version : jet boats

MAXIMUS
09-29-2006, 05:25 AM
I know that it is in the rules that a jet boat with a large supercharged motor is supposed to run in divison 6. Is there any reconsidering or is this set in stone? My jet hauls *** no doubt but like I have said in the past a 200 mph jet boat will not be any faster than a 70 mph jet when the water turns to ****! I don't mind starting way behind with the big dawgs but the reality is I will be spending money on good fuel, kicking the **** out of my ski boat & doing all of this to strictly support the cause. That boat will not have a snowballs chance in hell of winning even if I started in divison 1. I thought it might be fun to leave with the GN's in divison 3 so I could put on a show for a few laps before the water really gets ****ty... Running zoomies it should thunder the beach when I come by!:) Might be kinda fun for the spectators to see a jet making some noise for a few laps???:) I will be running a tunnel v-drive as well but that will be a divison 6 boat for sure. If for some reason it works it would have a good chance at placing well... :)

capnzee
10-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Maximus, I know your intentions are the best however I don't believe we could let you run in Division II without upsetting all of the other owner/drivers. Therefore, I will have to vote you into Division VI with your fire breathing jet. I will take it up with the others in the rules committee however. I think you can safely plan on a Division VI boat. If we don't get a bunch more racers to get their entries in we won't have any race for your boats to run in. This would be a huge blow to the future of the Parker Enduro. :( Rod

MAXIMUS
10-03-2006, 07:05 AM
Maximus, I know your intentions are the best however I don't believe we could let you run in Division II without upsetting all of the other owner/drivers. Therefore, I will have to vote you into Division VI with your fire breathing jet. I will take it up with the others in the rules committee however. I think you can safely plan on a Division VI boat. If we don't get a bunch more racers to get their entries in we won't have any race for your boats to run in. This would be a huge blow to the future of the Parker Enduro. :( Rod

I understand. However when this event is over & "IF" we are fortunate enough to be able to have another next year I will insist that jet boats get reconsidered for divison placement. Nobody seems to get that a jet cannot compete with a propeller driven set up. Power has no effect on the overall performance unless the water is smooth enough for a jet to stay hooked up. That being said, my intentions are to support "our" cause with my ski boat. I don't really care were I start as I don't feel it could be a contender anyways...:) If we want more interest in this event then we have to throw some of them guys a carrot or 2 to help get them involved...:)

capnzee
10-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Dear Max: at the beginning of the year, the jet boat owners insisted they could run in Division III. We put them in Division II and gave them about a 20 minute jump on Divisin III. I thought that was a carrot. Unfortunately we couldn't give the blowers the same carrot. Ted Kolby is taking his huffer off and replacing it with a carb. could you do the same, or is your compression too low for natural aspiration? I'll try to work this out Max, you are a good sportsman and we want to keep you in the field!:) Rod

MAXIMUS
10-04-2006, 07:29 AM
Dear Max: at the beginning of the year, the jet boat owners insisted they could run in Division III. We put them in Division II and gave them about a 20 minute jump on Divisin III. I thought that was a carrot. Unfortunately we couldn't give the blowers the same carrot. Ted Kolby is taking his huffer off and replacing it with a carb. could you do the same, or is your compression too low for natural aspiration? I'll try to work this out Max, you are a good sportsman and we want to keep you in the field!:) Rod

Ted Kolby is running a GN boat the same as I. This is what I am talking about. You can't compare a GN boat to a 21' jet boat. Yes my jet would blow the doors off of todays current GN's however that is in perfect water conditions not good for a GN. This is my point its like saying That a Blown alcohol drag boat is going to remove its blower & that should make it even for a day cruiser with out a blower to race... My only concern here is for the future & trying to encourage new commers & give them a fair playing field. Forget blowers, turbos, nitrous or what ever. A jet boat needs to be reconsidered.:) With that being said I will be looking for you on the race course!!!!:D

Master Oil Racing Team
10-04-2006, 08:01 AM
This is not my fight, & I know you guys know much better than I do, but here are my two cents.;)

Having covered several circuit races with jet boats, here are my observations when the water kicks up. The GN's keep on motivatin'. They'll hop, plough on through, twist, put up lots of good action, but they steadily keep on stroking. If a jet takes a big hop in a turn, they loose suction and have a tendency to swap ends with the loss of thrust. And on a big hop on a straightaway, the water acts as a sudden brake when they land until they pick up water and jerk forward again. I have never raced a jet, but I'm guessing it is faster around a course if its rough if you back out of it some.

MAXIMUS
10-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Yes very accurate ascessment! Again so I don't upset the program... My original thought was to put on a show with this particular boat. Lots of noise & flash! Then fade it out if the water gets to be to rough... either way I am looking forward to getting an onslaught of vessels on the water... Hopefully there will be another event next year & we can maybe have a more educated discussion on fine tuning... we should be able to learn alot after this race as we did from the first! I can't friggin wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rod you better be ready for some serious competition! Plan B is not wanting to give up the crown!:D

capnzee
10-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Max, I am looking forward to a really good race! I wsh there was a way of getting a couple of Div. I boats out so they could own their own start at
T+0 rather than starting with the Div. II boats. So far we have only a Cracker box and a "home-built" from Iowa. Any ideas? There are so many possibilities for the "new" guys to get out there and compete without having to run 80 to 100 mph. ;) Rod

MAXIMUS
10-06-2006, 07:15 AM
Max, I am looking forward to a really good race! I wsh there was a way of getting a couple of Div. I boats out so they could own their own start at
T+0 rather than starting with the Div. II boats. So far we have only a Cracker box and a "home-built" from Iowa. Any ideas? There are so many possibilities for the "new" guys to get out there and compete without having to run 80 to 100 mph. ;) Rod

In all honesty I had considered roaming the neighborhood for a tri hull or bay liner in the 500 to 1000 peso range that we could do a really cheap once over on & stick some youngsters in for the day! Rod unfourtunatly my plate is overflowing & I can only do so much at the last minute! I was not anticapting such a lack of interest this year! :( As it stands the Gn Is scattered in pieces all over the garage. When that is done I have that oddball tunnel which is also in pieces that will need to be assembled. My wife is just so pleased at my enthusiasm :rolleyes: as you can imagine. I am not sure what will cost more. Runnig this race or repairing my marriage after... lol:D

capnzee
10-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Max, I REALLY appreciate your enthusiasm and support! Nuff said on that, You're the man! and I know you would do anything to help--but keep think'n, maybe one of your buddies has a boat in mind. Division I=a great place to start! Rod:)

capnzee
10-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Have boat, need body! Div I boat available, see new thread for details. Now all you guys who have been steaming off about how hard a driver you are but you don't want to tear your boat up have a chance to run somebody elses and all you have to do is put-up or shut-up! :) Rod

capnzee
10-06-2006, 10:46 AM
We now have a Div I boat made available by Joey D'cucci. See new thread for details. This boat was built and prepared for racing some years ago in order to begin a formula class in APBA. Unfortunately, as in a lot of APBA ideas, it died for lack of interest. Here is your chance to drive and participate in a piece of history! :) Rod