PDA

View Full Version : Your Worst Boat

Ray Lumpkin
10-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Show me your worst boat. Heres mine. In 1971 I just started racing and had a Desilva flat bottom that was not very fast for SE class. Tunnels were the new design at that time so I thought I had better change to a tunnel.I bought a half boat from in N.J. You could buy the Karacraft with or woth out deck. So to save money I got the tunnel without the deck and made a deck myself. Well I dont know if it was me or the boat but it never ran good. It porpoised out of the water until it hurt the 50hp Mercury. Too many RPMS. First race a hole came in the bottom and I almost sank. I had to send it back to N.J. to be fixed, but thats another story.

Skoontz
10-10-2006, 06:47 PM
No pics but definitley my 13' Checkmate powered by a 60HP Johnson. Did a transom dance at about 55 MPH after too much bow lift, then as most all Vees do when you blow over, the point catches and the boat grabs on one side of the bottom or the other and flops into a 45°-60° turn from where you were going. As it hit the water, the transom and motor ripped out wrapping the Ride Guide cable around my body as the boat vaporized. The motor decided it was not connected to the boat any more and aftwer the throttle cable pulled off the engine the thing idled down before swallowing the muddy Fox River water.

Swam out of that one with what is called a severe body sprain. Life in the big city....

MN1
10-10-2006, 07:31 PM
So you raced in FE in region 7?
Mark N

Skoontz
10-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Never a sanctioned race. We were River racers doing crazy stuff against one another and ran many of the same motors/boats racers ran. Anything for speed ya know!

T2x
11-16-2006, 02:43 PM
That's easy........ My Miles Master T-II......

Porpoising nightmare...

T2x

Fast Fred
11-17-2006, 05:10 AM
that you , got it in Overdrive? Vett with a tow bar:eek: :cool:

kay75
12-27-2006, 01:35 AM
my 1964 mirro craft not fast and a gas hog with a 1963 evinrude 40hp big twin the motor is the worst part the boat needs a 80 merc :D

mercmack
12-27-2006, 09:11 PM
i got a merc ss steel cleaver prop 11 x 14 that will make that little red boat a rocket..brand new still in merc box..just jack the motor up till the water intakes are just below the bottom of the boat and you'll see almost 60..
i will trade it for the mirro craft boat and trailer..:D

kay75
12-28-2006, 11:06 AM
lol na cant trade the mirro i gotta sell it so i can buy a 50-80hp for my red rocket lol but got picss of the prop my dad had a 40hp merc on the pontoon and it runs about 28 i painted it also 13067:D

brichter
03-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Dad raced 5 different boats, this one was the worst...
It was a Sid son hull, previously raced by Tim Briggs, John Stochle, and Dick Ingebretsen.
He raced it in 1975 in Mod 90 Class.
He wrecked it at Evansville (after this picture) and took the fore deck off with his body.

Photo by Mark Nelson.

Tub323
03-21-2007, 05:47 AM
ok, heres my boat just after i got it. this is the same one in my avatar, :eek: its come along way

there was more damage on the other side, hull and the aluminum transom was snapped along the welds.
I found this post on the site by Brandon, the old owner, its from awhile back. http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?p=185#post185

Hey speaking of, don't forget this pic :D It may explain some of the damage! :D :D

http://www.tngbbs.com/bathtubracing/images/doa888.jpg

'
'
'
So while this was my worst boat, it finished every race it ever started, dead last place but it finished - including crossing the straights of georgia during the late 1960's and 1970's.....heard they tried using a Mk-48 adcap to sink it and it still floated...(Joke).

http://www.tngbbs.com/bathtubracing/images/1980race.jpg