PDA

View Full Version : Larry Latta

David Weaver
11-19-2006, 02:49 PM
It has been reprorted that Larry Latta lost his battle with cancer. Please keep Larry and Francis in your toughts.

Larry will always be remembered as an inovator in PRO racing and made many contributions to the sport over a significant period of time.

David Mason
11-20-2006, 10:23 AM
The sport has lost a legend.

rossdbos
11-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Larry was a great innovator and racer! God speed!
Our thoughts and prayers for Francis.
Ross Wallach

Gene East
11-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Larry was a very special person and Dave is correct to refer to him as a legend. I have to believe that right now he's sitting in the pits on Lake Paradise talking to Chris about how to make the Loopers go faster.
I am saddened by his passing and I urge everyone to remember Frances in your prayers

Original Looper 1
11-20-2006, 04:26 PM
My wife and I want to add our condolences to Francis Latta on the passing of Larry.

Attached you will find a picture of Larry and Francis together at the Lakeland boat races that we took in 2003. I knew Larry well from his association with and unsurpassed loyalty to O. F. Christner and Quincy Welding over the years.

The first time I can recall meeting Larry, was at the Keokuk, Iowa boat races in the early 60's. The thing I remember most from that first meeting was his absolutely beautiful Pontiac super duty 421 tripower Bonneville. It was dark blue with the extremely rare bolt wheel option. (Yes, I was a car nut even then -- like father like son.)

As time went on, Larry and Francis would come to Quincy Welding on many weekends. Saturday mornings were always special. A dairy would deliver to us at the shop fresh cold chocolate milk which we used to chase down the still warm Dixie Cream donuts. Talk about a sugar high. We'd then go run engines on the dyno and Chris and Larry would have some of the most interesting conversations about air flow, combustion, engineering and of course, what was coming from Konig. Larry helped my father many times when he reached engineering roadblocks. Larry was an extremely well educated person and that most significantly enhanced my father's creative ability.

Larry also helped me with my racing motorcycle project. Guys and gals, I had a 125 MT Honda, massively ported by Chris, carburetor engineered by Larry, that would take ANY street bike at the time in Quincy, IL in an 1/8th mile drag. That bike ran methanol on the street. Larry also helped me engineer the fuel system and cam timing on my 1975 turbo charged Vega GT. That little Vega was a Corvette eater.

Larry had an everlasting enthusiasm for boat racing and the ever changing engineering challenges required by boat racing. He will sadly be missed.

I truly believe Larry and my father are now together again, planning their next engine endeavor in a place that, if we're lucky, we too will eventually arrive.

thanks,
Paul A. Christner

BustnlooseIII
11-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Thoughts and prayers go out to the Latta family.

Stahl Racing

Master Oil Racing Team
11-21-2006, 09:02 AM
Amen.

epugh66
11-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Can someone post or PM some contact info to me for Francis?

Mark40H
11-30-2006, 07:46 AM
Might give this a try don't know if it is current or not. ldlatta@mchsi.com