PDA

View Full Version : Morehouse Boats

Ron Hill
12-09-2006, 10:14 AM
I've recently connected with Dan Morehouse. He and I are going to get together and post some pictures that his has...Here are two that he e-mailed me...

Well, I thought I could post the pictures....later.

Top two pictures are the Blythe Marathon and I wasn't running A-319-C, Jack Woodruff was supposed to, but it was 125 in the shade and there was not shade, and he got sick for the heat. I ran the white Morehouse, pictures in the third picture...That was Danny Morehouse's D Boat but he let me run it in Cu has he was running the new Morehouse FORESTALL, which he blew over when a whirlwind caught him. I was just old enough to run CU...So, I must have be 15, so this was Spring,1959.

350-C was Tito Smith's dad. He ran 36 for many years. Horse Chambers finished third, and my OLD MAN was inspecting and he told Horse to pull his head for inspection...Horse said for $25 prize money, he wasn't going to pull no HEAD!!!!! Especially, in 120 degree heat...My dad agreed and let him go!!!

4th picture is Everett Baggs, in a the Second Warren Little DU. Both Litten DU's were built by the school teacher from garden Grove...Kenny Wade... Chek them rope starter DU's...The rope start DU was the "BERRIES" until Mercury made the 55-H kit...The kit included Tiltson Carbs, flat top pistons....and solid rods. Thw carbs floats would hold gas, the flat tops were a little more compression, and the solid rods let you bump the timing...The KG-9 became HISTORY by the fall of 1959...

ADD: 574-C was Chuck Stanford...We always liked Chuck..He was in the black top business. He once repossed a driveway....he was famous when calling to say, when you picked up, "Who's this?" You'd Ron Hill...He'd say, "No, THIS is Chuck Stanford." He's the one that taught me that is wasn't work I wanted...It was the MONEY!!!!

Last two: 350-C is Tito's dad... and 112-C is Danny Schwarzenbach...I didn't realize he was also running DU here...Usually, he ran 36...

Ron Hill
01-12-2007, 12:49 AM
Lee built his first boats from Champion plans. Then, his creative juices started to flow....

C-391-C is Ron Loomis. These motors look like Service C (ALKY) motors, but these were C Stock motors before the MARK 30-H came along. Loomis was from Santa Barbara.....and Tommy Newton was from that area, Newton built most of the best Service C motors....Ron Loomis helped Tommy build his C stock motors that he won the Natinals with in 1954 and 1955.

My dad built Dan Morehouses motors and Lee built his boats from Champion plans. In theory Danny Morehouse should not have kept up with Ron Loomis, (Newton motor, DeSilva boat)....but in fact, Danny Morehouse won more than his shar of CU races..

The picture of Ronnie and Danny are at the Devil's Elbow on the Colorador River....They were "CRUISING" the river...

Ron Hill
01-12-2007, 12:54 AM
Boat 424 was Danny Morehouse in one of the first Morehouse built DU boats..Hansen Dam, California...1956, I'm guessing.

When the 30-H came out, Danny went to running his dad's DU, and Lee was club, USA, Commodore and all//Later, Danny got into BU...

Ron Hill
01-07-2008, 11:01 AM
510-C is Bobby Willard from Oildale, California lead DU in an early Morehouse runabout.
Bobby and his dad, Roy, traveled from Oildale to Lake Los Angeles for 39 straight weeks. Bobby's classes ran ever week, as we only ran three classes a Sunday...Bobby ran AU, BU, CU and DU...and maybe A hydro...

That is Joe Moor in his Kean Craft in fourth!