PDA

View Full Version : Quincy Looper Pictures and Collections

Original Looper 1
12-10-2006, 08:57 PM
There are many Looper collectors out there. These particular pictures were taken at the big AOMC meet at Lake Shipp, Florida, in 2003.

The first picture is taken from the Ted Miller Looper collection. It consists of A, B and C Loopers.

The 2nd & 3rd photos are of an A Looper owned and restored by Bob Dunlap. It was previously owned by Mercury engineer Bill Ela. Bill won the 1970 Class A Runabout championship with this engine.

The 4th photo is a D Looper owned and restored by Bob Dunlap. It was previously owned by Rusty Lloyd and put together by Bud Parker. It has the 2nd Eldridge lower unit ever made.

If you have Looper pictures, please post them here so we can all enjoy these racing engines.

thanks,
Paul A. Christner

Please note: these pictures are for your enjoyment but cannot be copied to other web sites without written permission.

MN1
12-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Here are some I took at Depue, IL a long time ago.
Mark Nelson

Tim Chance
12-11-2006, 08:58 PM
There are many Looper collectors out there. These particular pictures were taken at the big AOMC meet at Lake Shipp, Florida, in 2003.
The 2nd & 3rd photos are of an A Looper owned and restored by Bob Dunlap. It was previously owned by Mercury engineer Bill Ela. Bill won the 1970 Class A Runabout championship with this engine.

I never thought I would see a photo of that motor again. Bill only ran runabouts and I ran that motor many times on a hydro. That year in 1970 during testing Bill went upsidedown. I had scattered the B I was going to run. Bill came to me and asked if I would go out on the 5 minute (3 minute??) gun for BH and test it for him. I did. I got kind of caught up in the heat of things. I ran out in front until the last corner until I regained my senses. I came in and Bill said "I guess it runs". Then he went out later that day and won ARR. I did qualify that same motor in 1969 at the NOA Championships in Forest Lake, Minnesota, as an A on my 11' short sponson Sid. No DQ this time. But the finals were blown out and moved to Texas.

Dancingbear1961
12-21-2006, 01:14 PM
That pic of the six at Depue was Howard Anderson's FRR. I have one similar taken at Lawrence Lake. And yes I would like to copy this if you don't mind. I'll scan some of it running and post them soon. I'm sure I can scrounge something up.
Jeff

Dancingbear1961
12-22-2006, 08:39 PM
This was taken at Lawrence Lake in 1988. Howard andBobby Sandvig riding deck were over the record on a couple of occasions, but there is no record for 4 and 3/4 miles. He finally got the record (at age 72) with the Konig on the back. It is the only 1100 Runabout record that Terry "The Duck" Klem doesn't own. The mile and 2/3 isn't run anymore.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m46/dancingbear1961/Miscellaneous%20Racing/Howard1988.jpg

R.J.M. Racing Photography
Tigard OR

Original Looper 1
12-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Everyone dreams (at least us racing enthusiasts) of having a big toy box full of racing and other outboard engines. Please enjoy the following pictures from someone's private toy box. To have a little fun, how many of the motors can you accurately identify?

thanks,
Paul Christner

Please note: the pictures are for your enjoyment and cannot be copied or transferred to any other web site without written permission.

David Weaver
12-27-2006, 04:41 AM
I recognized an early Konig 2-banger Aor B (I believe), a Crescent Super C or 500, the photo is a Konig FA (2 piper, last of the FA lne before the VA's were introduced), a big bore Konig VD or VE probably, an Anzani A or B, a Quincy 700 or D and lot's of old iron....

racnbns
12-27-2006, 02:32 PM
Pic no. 1 looks like My "M"-Evinrude.

Pic no. 2 looks like my first race engine a Quincy modified "D" deflector purchased from Ray Nydahl when he went to the Loopers.

Pic no. 5 looks like my "C and "D" loopers.

Bruce

Bob Dunlap
12-27-2006, 05:32 PM
# 4 is easy its a Super C Crescent

# 6 is another easy one it a "A" Anzanni, could be a B but I know it's an A.

I even see a rack of Lockwoods.

Mark75H
12-27-2006, 06:44 PM
Number 7 looks like an SR, but I'm thinking completely square heads and cylinders makes it a Hubbell SR and not a pure Johnson

Jeff Lytle
12-27-2006, 06:45 PM
#1 -I believe Bruce is right, an OMC alky Midget engine.
#2 -Quincy deflector.
#3 -Konig gas C......Note the Quincy exhaust, Sems mag, and fuel pump.
#4 -A later model Crescent with a cool CD set up. Hard to tell if it's gas or alky cause' you can't see the carbs. (Would hate to be the pit man standing beside that engine should a magnet explode!)
#5 -Looper, C, D, or F that's the hard part. (Look on the bench to the right..2 Konig powerheads.)
#6 -Bob is right, could be an A or B Anzani (That was easy!)
#7 -Johnson PR with aftermarket cylinders and heads.
#8 -Late model 5 port 500cc Konig.
#9 -Lockwood Chiefs.
#10 -Later model FA Konig. Two pipe, and CD ignition (Scatter shield for the magnets) Note the older Konig blue / white logo on the carb sheild.

A breathtaking collection.........Please show us more Paul!

Mark75H
12-27-2006, 06:55 PM
I went back and looked at my Lockwood brochures, the ones with the flat cav plates are probably 1928's, I think the ones with the exhaust opening out the back are 1929's. 1929 Chiefs with dual carbs and Ace flywheels are the famous 92 BR racing Chiefs.

David Weaver
12-28-2006, 04:58 AM
#5 -Looper, C, D, or F that's the hard part. (Look on the bench to the right..2 Konig powerheads.)

One of those powerheads to the right has a Yamato Ignition set-up.

Original Looper 1
01-06-2007, 10:02 PM
For all of you that enjoy looking at toy boxes full of engines, here's some more toys for your entertainment.

I was quite impressed with the knowledge level of those that responded and correctly identified many of the toys in the 1st group posted.

Can you identify the various engines and/or parts in these pictures?

thanks,

Paul Christner

ps: These pictures are for your enjoyment but are not to be copied or posted on other web sites without written permission.

Mark75H
01-07-2007, 04:28 PM
The opposed 4 is a Yamato

The inline 4 .... if it had an earlier distributor, I'd ask if it was the 1967-68 49ci prototype Quincy made for Kiekhaefer, but the distributor is a 135 type which came out after 1969

To have the front half and an idea of what is in the back would be very interesting in Formula E ... where you can do anything to a 44 except add a supercharger or nitrous

I'd have to guess that the first motor is from a bike, but I don't know enough to go any farther

Ron Hill
01-07-2007, 06:11 PM
It is a 60-42 Evinrude. My dad had one of the only 50 made. His was number 0041. Fred Hauenstein Sr. had one, number 4, I think...I posted some pictures of Fred's motor here somewhere...

Original Looper 1
01-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Missed 2 pictures when I posted the others.

Paul

(These pictures are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to other web sites without written permission.)

Jeff Lytle
01-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Pic #1-????
Pic #2-????
Pic #3-Konig Crank
Pic #4-Konig Block, early 70's vintage
Pic #5-Same
Pic #6-7-8-9-???? (Buy dying to know!)

Dancingbear1961
01-09-2007, 06:46 PM
This was taken at Lawrence Lake in 1988. Howard andBobby Sandvig riding deck were over the record on a couple of occasions, but there is no record for 4 and 3/4 miles. He finally got the record (at age 72) with the Konig on the back. It is the only 1100 Runabout record that Terry "The Duck" Klem doesn't own. The mile and 2/3 isn't run anymore.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m46/dancingbear1961/Miscellaneous%20Racing/Howard1988.jpg

R.J.M. Racing Photography
Tigard OR

Sorry, Just wanted to clarify the fact that this is Howard Anderson with Bobby Sandvig riding deck. Besides Bobby, Howard's had a few good deck riders over the years! Howard Shaw, J. Michael Kelly, Jamie Nilsen, Nick Nolthe, Sheryl Rucker and for those that remember, Ralph Hildebrand.

Original Looper 1
01-22-2007, 01:46 PM
I appreciate all the guesses people have made about the motors in the 2 collections posted here.

So far, Jeff Lytle has come closest on guessing the names of the "toys" in the 1st collection. Jeff got 9 correct out of 10. David Weaver and Sam Cullis were close runner ups.

As to the 2nd collection, the motor that has people stumped is a Quinsky (not to be confused with Quincy). It was a creation by the late, great Stan Leavendusky aka Stan's Custom Pistons. A lot of people may not know it, but most Quincy Loopers used Leavendusky piston blanks as the building blocks for Quincy pistons. Stan was quite an innovator in the evolution of the Quincy Looper's success. His son, Butch, was also a top notch pro racer, especially in the runabout classes. Stan took it upon himself, with his son's help, to create and develop the Quinsky, based on the Konig internal specifications (porting wise and layout) with the conventional Looper Merc-Quincy exterior dimensions (stacked cylinders, not opposed) and crankshaft. The Quinsky was an experimental motor with a lot of good ideas.

To refresh everyone' memories, I'm reposting one of the pictures of the Quinsky here (the last 3 pictures in the 2nd toybox collection were of the Quinsky).

thanks,
Paul Christner

(Please note: these pictures are for your enjoyment and are not to be reproduced or reprinted on other web sites without written permission.)

Jeff Lytle
01-22-2007, 08:01 PM
I said a Johnson PR with aftermarket cylinders and heads......Perhaps it was the stand that threw me.

It's not a Johnson PR, it's an Evinrude hex head racer.

10/10?

Thanks for your stuff here Paul.....It's great!

ferv888ipba
01-23-2007, 06:29 AM
I remember one day back in the early 70's when I was working landscaping for the state of Illinois, we were re-doing a rest area along I-80. As we were working the flower beds alongside the parking lot, a truck pulled in with an enclosed trailer. On the side of the trailer was a big Quincy Welding sign. I walked over to the truck and asked about the sign.

Boy was I surprised, here I thought was an innovative boat racer with the first enclosed trailer that I had ever seen. He opened the back end of the trailer and lo and behold was what would have to be considered a cross between a Go-Kart and a Sand buggy. This fellow had been out to the Salt Flats in Utah and was running a "C" Quincy on this thing trying to set a land speed record. He did not on this trip, but loved talking about his Quincy. More uses than just boat racing.

Ray

Original Looper 1
02-10-2007, 08:47 PM
The owner of this toy box wants his name kept private. However, as you can see, this is quite a collector's dream toy box.

Not just the quantity of engines and boats, but this lucky owner also has a huge lake out his back door to go play on. Today he had out a 30H with a factory sealed block that ran well over 70 mph in a test run.

So for those of you that are now shoveling snow, this last picture was taken at sunset today on that lake. Gives you something to look forward to -- spring!

Enjoy the pictures. I took quite a few so will be posting them in groups of 7 over the next few days.

Just for fun -- How many engines can you identify?

thanks,

Paul A. Christner

Please note: the pictures are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to other web sites without written permission.

mercguy
02-10-2007, 08:54 PM
The owner of this toy box wants his name kept private. However, as you can see, this is quite a collector's dream toy box.

Not just the quantity of engines and boats, but this lucky owner also has a huge lake out his back door to go play on. Today he had out a 30H with a factory sealed block that ran well over 70 mph in a test run.

So for those of you that are now shoveling snow, this last picture was taken at sunset today on that lake. Gives you something to look forward to -- spring!

Enjoy the pictures. I took quite a few so will be posting them in groups of 7 over the next few days.

Just for fun -- How many engines can you identify?

thanks,

Paul A. Christner

Please note: the pictures are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to other web sites without written permission.

Paul, I am sure quite a few of us already now him (very well) and having George Stillwell's hydro (32-E) sitting there (along with the Hot Rods) really gives it away.

PS: one of my old 20H "poppers" is up there on the top rack.............

Joe Silvestri 36-S
02-10-2007, 08:59 PM
WOW! Another amazing collection of outboard motors.

Original Looper 1
02-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Here is round 2 of the pictures from Toybox Collection #2. The owner of the collection wishes to remain private (Out of respect for the owner, please don't "spill the beans" if you know who it is).

We all dream of having a huge toy box full of engines and boats like this. Some lucky people get to live that dream.

A couple of the old motors in this group of pictures (picture #4 and #7) were a mystery to me. Jeff and Sam??

Enjoy the pictures.

thanks,

Paul A. Christner

(Note: The pictures are for your personal enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to other web sites without my written permission.)

Jeff Lytle
02-16-2007, 09:15 PM
C'mon Paul........Give us old guys a bit of credit here !! :D

Pic #1 ......An old step hydro....Jacoby? Neal? Hard to tell. 1st generation Lifeline in the cockpit.
Pic #2 The unmistakable lines of a Yale.
Pic #3 A big and nasty lookin' Merc 6. Would like to see more pics of this engine before I take a guess. Sam will probably know right away.
Pic #4 looks like an Evinrude 22HP Fleetwin, bout' 1935ish.
Pic #5 Saw this boat on Ebay awhile back me thinks. Would also like to see a pic of the boat right above it!!
Pic #6 Cyclone exhaust!!
Pic #7 is a Johnson PO that was used in the military in WW II. Notice the green paint.

How many boats and engines are in this collection?

Original Looper 1
02-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Jeff,

You score an A+ for knowledge on the last group of pictures! Here's some more pictures from that same collection for everyone's enjoyment. Feel free to name the motors. As to how many engines are in this collection? How about an amount beyond awesome for an answer. I can say I still have many more pictures to post later.

As I stated before, if you know who the owner of this collection is , please keep it quiet as that person wants to remain annonymous.

thanks,

Paul A. Christner

(Please note: these pictures are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to any other web site without written permission.)

Jeff Lytle
02-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Pic #1--Another view of the racks containing Merc A's, B's, C's, D's, 35SS's, Yamatos and Hot Rods.
Pic #2--A bone stock Evinrude Speeditwin..........NICE!
Pic #3--Judging the size of the exhaust port area, I'd say this is a Johnson SR. Looks like a nice set of Bayer stacks on an engine to the left.
Pic #4--B Loopers--Note the one in the back has original 20H ignition. Beyond the Loopers is an original R series Yamato. To the left on the floor is another one as well.
Pic #5--OMC three holer
Pic #6--A better shot of the R series Yamato. The blocks on the B and the C were identical. The only way to tell from the outside was the pipes or the serial number. Could be an RB-5 or an RC-5. Beyond are two 4 port Konigs--same story with the displacement--Need to see pipes or serial #. Looks like they both might have aftermarket heads though.
Pic #7--Johnson PR.....There is a Merc J engine, and a 4 cyl. Looper with the B's, Yamato, and Konigs beyond.

I never tire of this stuff!

RichardKCMo
02-24-2007, 08:55 PM
:D
Pic #1--Another view of the racks containing Merc A's, B's, C's, D's, 35SS's, Yamatos and Hot Rods.
Pic #2--A bone stock Evinrude Speeditwin..........NICE!
Pic #3--Judging the size of the exhaust port area, I'd say this is a Johnson SR. Looks like a nice set of Bayer stacks on an engine to the left.
Pic #4--B Loopers--Note the one in the back has original 20H ignition. Beyond the Loopers is an original R series Yamato. To the left on the floor is another one as well.
Pic #5--OMC three holer
Pic #6--A better shot of the R series Yamato. The blocks on the B and the C were identical. The only way to tell from the outside was the pipes or the serial number. Could be an RB-5 or an RC-5. Beyond are two 4 port Konigs--same story with the displacement--Need to see pipes or serial #. Looks like they both might have aftermarket heads though.
Pic #7--Johnson PR.....There is a Merc J engine, and a 4 cyl. Looper with the B's, Yamato, and Konigs beyond.

I never tire of this stuff!

I heard this once so you drive!!!!
RichardKCMo

Original Looper 1
02-25-2007, 08:46 PM
There's 100 extra bonus points if you can name what's in this picture from the Toybox Collection #2.

Care to try?

Paul

(Please note: these pictures are for your personal enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to other web sites without written permission.)

Ron Hill
02-25-2007, 09:07 PM
The pictures is between two Mark 55-H housings... One doesn't have a lock washer on the prop shaft and the other has a 7 1/4 X 12 two blade Michigan...(Not Pop Smith)..

Top block on the left is either a KG-9 or a Mark 40, as I can't tell if it has a belt or gears..

Oh, on the cavitation plate of the black housing is a kick out pin...

Far left is a Mark 30 block, then a 44 Block and the black block is a 55E...

The exhause pipes on the floor look like Yamatom 350...but???

Far right is a Konig 350???

Front plates for Mercury's are for 44'S.....

Your questions are too hard...need easy pictures and easy questions...

Original Looper 1
02-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Ron Hill, you're not just hot, you're sizzling!

Paul C.

Jeff Lytle
02-26-2007, 05:12 AM
The Yamatos on the floor are R series.

mac19f
02-26-2007, 08:00 AM
The top block is a Mk50 not a KG9 or MK40. Neither of them had the boss for an electric starter. Plus the exhaust plate is smooth not ribbed--another indication its a Mk50.

Ron Hill
02-26-2007, 08:50 AM
I always thought those blocks would have been great for 55-H replacements... Been a LONG time since I've seen a KG-9, Mark 40 or Mark 50....I just saw the exhaust plate....Should have realized it had a place for the starter, but then I don't think I'd have remembered Mark 50!!!

On the Yamato Racing stuff, I never what any of it was!

mercguy
02-26-2007, 04:15 PM
The top block is a Mk50 not a KG9 or MK40. Neither of them had the boss for an electric starter. Plus the exhaust plate is smooth not ribbed--another indication its a Mk50.

Greg, it could also be a VERY EARLY MK55 right? I have one that has only about 20hrs running time on it that I bought from Mike Downing several years ago, but has been sitting ever since (after I replaced all the seals and gaskets though).

Don Muncie
02-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Daren, you are most right!!

Those Mark 50 blocks were ran in the extremely early Mark 55. This engine to be authentic should also have the big fuel filters atop the carbs (The kind you thread onto the top of the carb that has an 1/6 pipe fitting, the filter itself is about 1 and a 1/4 in diameter. It also has the early low compression pistons in it and steel reedcages. These Mark 50 blocks were onlt ran in the first two months of production, then Mercury went to the sand cast "grey" blocks.

Putting the Mark 40 Quincy stacks on the Mark 50 and remachining the carb openings for the KA series carbs and running the "big" reedcage really woke those 'ol blocks up. I had one that was just short of AWESOME!! The only other 40 I had that was faster was the crossflow Quincy with two ring turners in it. I still have it too.

crankbearing
02-27-2007, 04:56 AM
I've got a 3rd port Mark 50 block that at some point I plan on restoring with a set of chrome 4 stacks. I thought it is was a 55 as well. It had pipes on it so there was no exhaust cover and it looks just like a 55 otherwise.

But it is in 700 serial group.. Which is what threw me.

Now I am just trying to figure out what they ran for pistons in this thing. No welded pads or the like just the 3rd ports and some mild porting.

Regards,

Dave Scott

mac19f
02-27-2007, 05:52 AM
Daren, Yep the VERY early Mk55 blocks were also sandcast like the Mk50 up to serial # 833000. But if I'm not mistaken the exhaust cover was different, more rounded like the later Mk55 blocks. The wedge shape exhaust cover on this block makes me think it's Mk50.

Original Looper 1
03-04-2007, 10:19 AM
This is round 4 of the series of pictures from the collection I'm calling Toybox #2. I'm sure some of you know who the owner is, but he prefers to have his name kept private, so please honor his wishes.

I can't think of anything more fun than spending an afternoon in a building full of engines. This is a very diverse collection, running from pure stock fishing motors to mods to Konigs, Yamatos and, of course, Loopers.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

thanks,

Paul A. Christner

(Please note: these pictures are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted on other web sites without written permission.)

Original Looper 1
03-18-2007, 07:06 PM
This is round 5 of the series of pictures from the collection I'm calling Toybox #2. I'm sure some of you know who the owner is, but he prefers to have his name kept private, so please honor his wishes.

Most of the pictures in this group are of Mercs - some original, some mods -- all great motors. Many of you know that my father, O. F. Christner, was a Mercury outboard dealer from 1947 until 1982. I grew up around Mercs, I road in all kinds of boats powered by all kinds of Mercs, I worked on Mercs for many years. Even my wife is from a family of Merc owners -- she has a picture, of when she was 3 years old, sitting in the driver's seat of a boat with a Mercury motor that my father had just sold her father. Who would dream that 18 years later we would marry?

The next 4 weekends are going to be really exciting for us racing enthusiasts here in Florida -- Mt. Dora, Inverness, Lake Wales and Lakeland are coming up. Guess where I intend to spend my next 4 Saturdays?

Hey Bob D, look forward to seeing you at Mt. Dora!

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

thanks,

Paul A. Christner

(Please note: these pictures are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted on other web sites without written permission.)

Original Looper 1
03-22-2007, 06:57 PM
This collection of motors could be placed in a shoe box -- the engines are that small. Isn't it amazing that some machinists had the talent to recreate these famous engines in such small but accurate detail?

The first 2 motors (1st picture) are copies of 2 stroke Clark trollers. The next 3 (2nd picture) are custom motors -- all are 4 cylinders, 4 stroke. The last 2 pictures are of flatheads, quite similar to Fords.

All of these motors are working models - the engines actually run. They are usually put either in miniature inboard boats or in tether cars.

Can you imagine holding 3 of these working motors in the palm of your hand??

The owner of the collection wishes to remain private so please keep silent if you know who they belong to.

thanks,

Paul A. Christner

RichardKCMo
03-22-2007, 08:11 PM
That mystery motor sure looks like 9 hp lockwood we had once.
Those miniatures sure look like the real thing . Keep it coming Paul.
RichardKCMo

Skoontz
03-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Is it just me, or is the picture of the line of motrs, with one twin cylinder that has a single stack appear to be a 36 cubic inch OMC? The cylinder head is exactly like one of them.

RichardKCMo
03-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Skoontz ,i thought so also, several yrs. ago someone posted a pic of one with the racing lower and stack on it but i didn't save it. Darn.
RichardKCMo

Skoontz
03-24-2007, 04:05 PM
We had a twin carb 36 CID Evinrude with a race gearbax on it, just no stack. Dad tuned the exhaust and dumped it 4" above the lower unit connection. It would barely idle below 1800 RPM and he got it to turn around 11,000 RPM. I wish I could find that picture sitting next to his 4-60 on the rack.

Original Looper 1
03-27-2007, 09:39 AM
What's more fun than getting ready for your first race of the season? Especially when you're putting together bright and shiny, newly rebuilt engines. Throw in a brand new runabout, and it doesn't get any better than this.

The races at Inverness this weekend should be a great success. Even the weather is cooperating -- sunny, warm and beautiful!

The owner of these motors & boat wishes to remain private, so please do not disclose the name if you know who it is.

Thanks,

Paul A. Christner

(The pictures are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to any other web sites without permission.)

SimonDutchRoot
03-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Duhh

Jeff Lytle
03-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Sad........how? :confused:

SimonDutchRoot
03-27-2007, 10:41 PM
I am out here dreaming of ever owning a racer(and lots whit me)
It make's me sad to see one guy how has it al(to mutch)
How many outboards dos one need?
Bring them beck on the marked so we all can enjoy them
But that's my own hubbule opinion....sorry for that

Jeff Lytle
03-28-2007, 04:13 AM
Understood, and I'm sure no ofence was taken.

Allen J. Lang
03-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Simon-I have to agree to a point. I would like to have JUST one old racing engine for my collection, even one of my old stock Mercs or even the Quincys I used to have.

Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al Lang :cool:

Tim Chance
03-28-2007, 11:09 AM
Simon-I have to agree to a point. I would like to have JUST one old racing engine for my collection, even one of my old stock Mercs or even the Quincys I used to have.

Me too. Just my Quincy motors alone. The A, I have no idea what I did with it. The B, I sold to Bill Ela for $100.00; the exhaust elbows are in a photo on this site on Bill's old A. The C, I recycled with a batch of aluminum cans. If I knew then. . . . . .

Allen J. Lang
03-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Tim- You are right, if I only knew. To think of all the equipment I sold and at those prices even back then (60s-1970). Also all the racing magazines I used to have that have disappeared over all the moves over the years. I did manage to save a couple of your Hydroplane Quarterly which I still HAVE. Not much more. :(
Have you gotten a Johnrude ready for the coming season? All the best.

Original Looper 1
08-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Hey John (Schubert),

I was looking through the Quincy Welding dyno cards the other night and came across this one from May 27th, 1969. It's for a Quincy B that you owned at the time, FB-201.

I think you won many races with this engine, including the Nationals. Enjoy!

I also want to commend you for your fabulous organizational skills and hard work putting together the DePue inaugural reunion. You're the greatest!

thanks,

Paul A Christner

PS: And to think that I almost let some carpetbagger out west take advantage of my health issues and con me out of these precious Quincy Welding dyno cards. I believe there truly is divine intervention. God bless.

(Please note: this picture is for your enjoyment and is not to be copied or posted to any other web sites without my written permission.)

Original Looper 1
09-08-2007, 09:32 AM
I was cleaning out some old disks and found pictures I took at an antique boat wet meet at Cypress Gardens in November of 2001. The craftsmanship of those wood boats is something that probably couldn't be duplicated today, at least not at a price most of us could afford.

I thought some of you out there at BRF might enjoy seeing these fine examples of boats of the past.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

(Please note: these pictures are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to other web sites without my written permission.)

Original Looper 1
09-20-2007, 05:36 PM
As I said in the previous post, I was cleaning out some old disks and found pictures I took at an antique boat wet meet at Cypress Gardens in November of 2001.

This was the last antique boat show that my father, O. F. Christner attended. Quincy Welding, besides building outboard race engines, sold pleasure boats and Mercury outboard motors for many years.

The other older gentleman in one of the pictures was Jimmy, my "second" dad. He spent most of his life around shrimp and fishing boats in Florida. I adopted him 15 years ago and was very thankful he was around when I lost my real dad. Now Jimmy's gone too. I miss both of them terribly, but treasure the priceless memories I have of both of them.

I thought some of you out there at BRF might enjoy seeing these fine examples of boats of the past.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

(Please note: these pictures are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to other web sites without my written permission.)

fbref5269
09-24-2007, 05:34 AM
paul,

those pictures brought back a lot of fond memories. my dad had a century inboard back in the mid/late 50's. we would ride it to the cottage races in the 50's on the magothy river just off the cheasapeake bay in maryland. they had an inboard class but most were outboard classes. dad sold the boat in the early 60's. that's where i got my first taste of hydros and vowed in 1957( i was 6 years old) to one day race. well it took until 1971 but i did it. thanks for the trip down memory lane.

frank

J-Dub
10-19-2007, 08:36 AM
I have just recently purchased Howard "Andy" Anderson's 1976 KR DeSilva as seen in photos on this thread. Now what I need is a 6 Looper powerhead or even just a block, to hang on the back. With my Dads Quincy collection (3 A's, 4 B's, and two 40" D's) we can put a six together on one of his 75H towers and unit. How cool would that be?

BTW; Dad has had Andy's 14' Flat Deck DeSiva for over 20 years...

Can anyone help?
J-Dub

Silas_53A
11-08-2007, 09:02 PM
What is this motor?

Mark75H
11-08-2007, 09:11 PM
It is not a Quincy Looper, therefore off topic in this thread and forum. That's why the post was moved to a more relevant place.

It is indeed a Yamato alky motor, a 350 or 500

Silas_53A
11-08-2007, 09:24 PM
that picture was posted BY Original Looper 1 in THIS thread, so I assumed I should ask about it in this thread.

I didn't realize the first one was moved, I had so many tabs open I thought I posted it in the wrong thread.

Silas.

Original Looper 1
11-08-2007, 10:47 PM
To Calendar Girl 9B,

I am Original Looper 1, and this section is titled Quincy Welding Loopers & More. You are correct, there are many types of engines posted in this section, especially under the Collections thread, where you saw the Yamato 4 cylinder picture.

I personally don't have a problem with you posting pictures of your personal collections or motors other than Loopers here - that's what the thread is about, collections & diversity. Hey, we gearheads love them all.

My father, O. F. Christner, owner of Quincy Welding and creator of the Quincy Merc, Loopers, Z engines & Christner 2-4 cycle engine, loved ALL racing outboards. So do I!

Hope to see you post here again.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Original Looper 1
12-07-2007, 02:34 PM
The same weekend as the Lake Shipp, FL antique outboard meet, there was a big antique auto & boat show at Lake Mirror in Lakeland, FL. Lakeland is just a few minutes drive from Winterhaven & Lake Shipp.

Those of you that knew my father, also knew he was as big a fan of cars as he was of boats & boat racing. I know my dad would have enjoyed the show at Lake Mirror, so in his honor I am posting a few pictures of some of the boats & cars from that show. By the way, the 1st picture is of a car that can also run in the water like a boat!

Thanks,

Paul A Christner

PS: Stay tuned!

Skoontz
12-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Paul, we had a customer at the boathouse who had an Amphicar that same year and color. We took it down the Fox only to get stuck on a sandbar, so, he kicked into drive gear and drove off the thing!

Master Oil Racing Team
12-07-2007, 06:52 PM
There is a picture of Mama Smith driving one of those into the water on the cover of one issue of Roostertail. What caught my eye Paul, and Skoontz will recognize, are the second and last pictures. In the foreground is a lapstrake Thompson. I don't know what wood the hull or ribs were made of, but the wood topside is mahogany. You can see the ribs in one of the pictures. The lapstrake sides were bolted with brass bolts through the ribs. In critical areas, the bolts were closer together, then all the bolts and nuts were coated with some sort of sealer after everything was made up tight. I couldn't afford one made with that kind of quality today.l

Great pictures Paul. And thanks for showing us some beautiful works of the past.

Skoontz
12-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Wayne:

Thompson's were made in Peshtago, Wi, about 2 hours from our shop. About a block away, was a huge lumberyard with rail access. Next to that, was a siding company, which at the time, cut cedar shakes and lap strakes for houses, and also had a contract for Thompson using Mahogany siding for boats. They were very strong, and light as you well know. One of my early Boathouse memories was when Phill Elburg, Dad, and myself went to pick up 4 boats. Dad had the 1960 Olds wagon with a 394 V-8, thermal quad carb and 4 speed tranny....I get out and there is this 3 year old Newfoundland dog that let me ride him....So he takes me over by the barrels or brass bolts, and boat nails....I grab a couple handfulls and drop them on the floor....When's the last time anyone saw a barrel of any kind of bolt, let along brass?

I remember one of those boats was yellow under wood, one white, one red and another blue. Anything other than white was rare, yellow second most popular, then red and blue.....

Was it Thompson that was owned by Cruisers, Inc, or Cruisers owned by Thompson? I know both companies ran until the great late 80's boat building disaster after Regan signed that luxury tax bill....Still standing is Cruisers, Inc....

A/B Speedliner
01-11-2008, 04:40 PM
My brother Alan bought atruck load of stuff from the Ted Lewis estate an in the pile were 2 Quincy powerheads. In a tool box was the receipt for one of them. Is there any history available on the powerheads.

Thanks
David Van Weele
www.aeroliner-boats.com

fbref5269
01-11-2008, 04:50 PM
dave,

i got a few looper pieces form his estate. i also bought his marchetti that i'll be restoring for the quincy c loopers i'm working on now. it looked like he had a ton of stuff. working on getting the marchetti to maryland. i had the marchetti logo digitized and had some t shirts made to match the color of the looper.

frank

Original Looper 1
01-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Hey Frank and Roger,

How are your Looper restorations coming along? Haven't heard anything lately from you two and was wondering how things are progressing. I'm getting a lot of emails from people looking for Loopers. Do you have new pictures you can post as I'd love to see what's happening (and I'm sure many others would too).

thanks,

Paul

fbref5269
01-21-2008, 04:26 PM
paul,

i posted some pictures a few weeks ago on the thread i started. i'll post them here too. as for an update..... i've stripped the paint off the quickie lower unit and i'm going to get it polished. thought it would look better with a polished unt. i need to put one bearing in it then reassemble before polishing. i hope to do that this week. i've started cleaning up the jimmy nichols engine. started with the elbows. that one is going to need a real good cleaning and polishing. i'm going to mount it on the bayer tower with the fuel tank on the tower i picked up on ebay. i'll post some 'before' pictures in a new thread soon.

enjoy the pictures,

frank