PDA

View Full Version : looking for alot of v4 information

john/rude
12-11-2006, 04:14 AM
hi

i am looking for alot of v4 john/rude information ,135,140 hp crossflow's, and super stranglers. what modifications can you do to cross flow's. please guys i need your help, :)

Skoontz
12-11-2006, 07:24 AM
What are you looking to build and accomplish????

john miffco
12-11-2006, 04:48 PM
you can cut the piston skirts,debur intake track,D shape the ports,raise ports depending on what block you have,use newer ignition,lighter forged pistons,cut heads,open ex housing,carb work with plastic reeds,,,find lightest flywheel,,,,are the main common hit items
run up to 7,200-7,500 and stop,,

kraazyboat
12-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Is lap flywheel to crank. If they are not lapped together it will shear half moon key. And also tear up key way slot in crank. And as was said DO NOT SPIN OVER 7500 RPM Dave

Bill Gohr
12-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Huh, We used to run Remley's at 8 to 8200..........

john/rude
12-12-2006, 04:19 AM
hi

thank you to all the people who have wrote back to me so far,

i'm using a 78 small jounal block, with super strangler boomerang electrics, lightweight flywheel, carbonfibre reeds, 1 3/8 carburetors, super strangler exhaust, stock crankshaft, stock rods (1 2's) but are sanded on the sides flush, block is bored over 30thou with genuine pistons (not high tops), and chrome rings. it has super strangler heads which is producing about 150- 160 pound commpression, the block has been ported fully, the intakes are MASSIVE (huge) bigger than the genuine super strangler, on the exhasut side the ports are chamfered, it has not been started yet as i am still modifying the water pick up, its has a stock omc gearbox 2:1 with a 22 pitch raker. just like the mercury v6's it has the powerhead studs the long ones under the block (stainless), it has batwing or outrigger steering, johnson v8 300hp dry exhaust, and the gearbox has been drilled like the mod vp's for louder exhaust. the pistons skirts have been cut (XP)

now what else can you do to these engines other than getting superstrangler efi or a mad efi system

thank's

john/rude
12-12-2006, 04:20 AM
hi thanks you to all the people who have wrote back to me so far

Mark75H
12-12-2006, 05:18 AM
Bigger intake porting is usually NOT something you do to a crossflow racing motor. Increasing intake width and or height usually lowers top end power, giving a little increase if any to the bottom end

If I had a factory racing motor to use as a guide I would have done a little less to the intakes than the factory did on my first try. You can always go back and take off more - but you can't put metal back

john/rude
12-12-2006, 05:24 AM
does this mean that it will be preety hard to get on the plane but on top speed it is good?

Bill Gohr
12-12-2006, 07:03 AM
Well, like Sam said, bigger is not always better especially in this motor, it sounds like you have alot of the correct parts.

While making the intakes wider is good, higher isn't, and never touch the outside of the bottom of the intakes. You want to help the intakes, take 2 of the bridges out and don't touch them after that.

Do whatever you can to stuff the crankcase, they like that. Opening the front of the crankcase alot, just hurts it.

We ran 175 to 180 on the compression, I'll be building myself one of these this winter after I finish up the EFI/TIIX project. I have a mint 15ft Allison and I just can't decide which 100 cuber to put on it.

john miffco
12-12-2006, 11:23 AM
bill
you hit the nail head dead on,,,,
here we race the tri hull class,,,100ci crossflow only
the best motor is the omc for the class

and these guys have tried everything,,,,,,,,,,,
the 1s that are staying running and winning are just hitting up on the normal items and better parts and clean work

as i stated and others just deburing intake tracks,,,and leaving as much metal as possible and epoxy filling where you can increases the crankcase pressure,,,,better running,,,
i call it D porting ,,,leaving the sides and bottoms alone,,,,on the ports
cutting out the bridge is even more flow at same timing,,,,a big factor
gives the motor dock and turning power,,,,

hey bill
what would be cool is for you to do your guru stuff on a crossflow motor,,,,
send it down here,,,,,,,
ill put it on a boat,,,,you come down and drive it
1st race at highlands is a 1 day event,,and i have a motor home for you to stay in at the track
if it runs anything like the 2.5 you did for chris in kankakee,,,,,look out tri hullers
john

basic racing ,,,,to have some fun ,,,,,,,,,,
john

john/rude
12-13-2006, 05:21 AM
so would anyone recomend that my cross flow should be a smooth runner with all the parts on it
and will it be reliable. i will not be using it as a race moter only a few times but mostly just to go on the water and show all the merc guys that johnsons are still out there running strong. i willrace this 1 fella that does over 80miles an hour with his v6 race merc, again will my strangler be reliable?

please guys i need your help

Bill Gohr
12-13-2006, 06:58 AM
A race motor a few times? No, it's a race motor all the time. Keep the timing down and give it good gas. We used to run 22 deg. with 108 oct.

John, I wouldn't send the motor I'm building down for a tri hull just so Schubert could buy it cheap, LOL. But there are plenty of junk 140's around here that could be done up to run.

Skoontz
12-13-2006, 07:15 AM
The 99 cubic inch V-4s of those years will always out run and outlast any Merc when set up correctly. In those years Brunswick was more concerned with making bowling balls than outboard motors. Then along came oil injunktion to please the EPA whackopaths. That was another story. The 122 cubers never ran as well as the 99's and why they "upgraded" was far beyond my grasp.

john miffco
12-13-2006, 12:38 PM
your right bill,,,,,
the claimer price is 2,600,,,so just taking a 140 and doing labor work to it
no upgraded parts,,,,kick ***,,,,,get claimed and make money back for time
and have fun for the weekend,,,,
thats the way to go,,,,,,

ill have a boat waiting if you want to do it and have an original v4 sst prop to use with it
im serious,,,,i have a rigged hull sitting here now,,needing only a motor
miss you on the water

brunswick was building bowling balls.............and still are,,,maybe thats 1 of the ways they could afford to have
mercury produced more racing motors and models than any other o/b manufacturer ever,,,,,,
and are still are building them today and tomorrow
as far as im concerned,,,,everbody go bowling
to keep boat racing alive
john

john/rude
12-13-2006, 09:39 PM
hey guys
thanks for all your help and information with the crossflows and now i'm very happy that my motor will survive this christmas. if you's would like i could post pictures of my motor and boat on this but i will need your peoples help on how to post it on this website.

thanks heaps and have a happy christmas.

john/rude
12-14-2006, 02:58 AM
oh and one more thing, bill gohr, u said that your timing was et to 22deg, but was that with the pistons turned around, the deflector on the exhaust side? my pistons are facing the normal croosflow way and the stock timing is 28 degrees. should i still bring my timing down to 22deg

please this is the last thing i have to do.

corey thibodaux
04-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Is a NOS kit in poor taste?