PDA

View Full Version : Moby Dick

Mark75H
01-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Rick Connolly over on Retroboats.net came up with this picture and asks if anyone can identify the T-199 Moby Dick boat.

Ron, is this the third DeSilva wing?

http://www.retroboats.net/forums/files/janredwing_mobydick_107.jpg

Ron Hill
01-03-2007, 05:15 PM
I remember this boat, but the third DeSilva was lower profile that the Checkered Board...... The third DeSilva Wing only made one run, at Havasu, the driver, I think was Warren V. Thompson. Twin, stcker Mercury's, a lot of power from the Factory, as my DeSilva had lead Parker in the Spring.

Did not see the accident, he pulled out of Havasu Marina launch ramp, as I was backing my Souther. I made one lap and decided it was too rough to test my V-Hull, I had seen patroll boats over on the California straightaway, by the time I got back t the pits, Thompson was pronounced dead.

He had stuff one pickle fork and it broke off and came back and had hit him in the forehead. The pieces of the boat never left Havasu. DeSilvas never built anothe OPC boat. I doubt they had pictures of this wing and if they didn, I'm sure they destroyed them.

I know Billy and Ralph were both quite shaken, as they didn't like anyone getting hurt in their boats, and for sure not killed...They also liked me a lot, and told me they'd never build another boat and it could be me next....

Ron Hill
01-07-2007, 11:42 PM
This DeSilva ad, came out before Havasu, November 1969. This drawing is what the third DeSilva Wing looked like. I don't know if there was more ads ....

The second picture is the original DeSilva Wing..Freddy Hauenstein is driving here! (Parker 1968 Fraddy and I drove together)...

Mark75H
12-09-2008, 06:02 PM
OK, I have another candidate for the third DeSilva

Ron do you have a program that might confirm the boat number?