PDA

View Full Version : BS - Boat Stories

russhill
01-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Most of the threads here are started by my brother, so I thought I'd start my own. I'm 73 and been around boat racing all my life. I like to think I'm technically qualified to talk about engines, or was a great driver, but I’m neither; however, that doesn’t stop me.

What I like to talk about here are some of the good old stories about the good old boys. I’m not claiming they’re true or accurate, but they’re good stories.

I like to divide my stories into two categories: Mother Goose Stories and Boat Racing Stories. The way we tell them apart is Mother goose Stories start with “Once upon a time,,,” Good Boat Stories (BS) start with: “Now this is no **** …”

I’d like to tell you about Carl Kiekhaever’s dentist, how Lake Ming (Bakersfield) got its name, how the Winter nationals got its name and more as the spirit moves me.

Respond here if you’d be interested. You can fill in facts, but you can’t argue with them, because I probably don’t believe them either.

Skoontz
01-24-2007, 08:20 PM
That sounds like the time he fired the Coke man, Russ....Do tell us, please!

russhill
01-24-2007, 10:06 PM
One of my favorite stories is the Stock Outboard Marathon National Championships. Now Freddie Miller had started the Stock Outboard Marathon National Championships concept. I loved old Freddie like a brother. We were close—there was never a subject that ever came up that we agreed on. We could disagree on anything. (Freddie Miller has done more for APBA Outboard Racing than any two guys I know)

Well Old Freddie started this Marathon Nationals concept in about 1963 and they held three successful Championships in 63, 64 and 65. I teased him about it being a Michigan State Championship, since all the races had been held in Michigan. So I got a rule through the APBA Council that said in essence that in order to be a “National” Championship, more than one state must host them.

And separately, I had Needles bid to make the Needles Marathon the “Nationals”. The Commission had to go for it, there were no other states bids and Michigan couldn’t keep them.

I said we’d like to schedule the race for the last week of September, like the Needles Marathon had always been scheduled. The weather was nice then, generally less than 100 degrees. No, the Mid-West bloc said “we ALWAYS hold them in June.” I said, “OK”. I didn’t mention that the temperatures could be well in to the 120s at that time of year.

So, a lot of Mid-Westerners came to needles in June 1966 and learned what HOT meant.

I’ll go into some details about the race in my next BS

Ron Hill
01-25-2007, 10:09 PM
But his 1966 Marathon Nationals story took place in Needles, California...FAR, FAR from the Trenton River.....

russhill
02-03-2007, 07:00 PM
I thought I'd post the following--this way you can skip all the russhillian drivell in one click:

RON HILL: Since Ron does most of the writing for the Hill family (and everything else in this site), I thought I'd tell you all more than you ever wanted to know about RONALD LLOYD HILL.

Ron is the quintessential boat racer. His first race boat was a rocking horse he received for Christmas a few months before his second birthday. He immediately converted it into a race boat. He took the eyes out of the horse and inserted spark plugs. He removed the rope tail and bolted a propeller into the hole. And he made obnoxiously loud engine noises.

He went through boat race tricycles and bicycles. He even suggested the local gardeners have a power mower race. When he was nearly eleven, he was given his first real boat, an A Stock runabout (then called Utility). Since he was a big boy and had, essentially, 10 plus years race boat experience, he officially began his racing. Twelve was the minimum age for class A, but due to a parental clerical error, he started at eleven.

About six months after he starting racing, a Sunday afternoon live TV show started. It was called SPEEDBOAT RODEO and ran for 39 consecutive weeks. "Ronnie Hill" hadn't won any races yet, but the TV show did hold a Most Popular Driver contest, soliciting postcard votes. He won with more votes than the next ten other guys combined. I was 3rd or 4th with several thousand votes. His number was around 30-40,000 votes.

One other little rule "infraction" occurred when he was 15. He was running several Stock Outboard classes by then, but a rule was passed that, for safety, 16 would become the minimum age for Class D. That presented a slight enforcement dilemma for the officials: He was reining D Runabout National Champion, National High point winner, and held the straightaway and competition world records. That rule kind of got laughed off the books

Well, 50 years later, he hasn't lost an ounce of that enthusiasm that won him the TV popularity contest in the Speedboat Rodeo, so I'll summarize a little by listing some of his racing accomplishments:

• Seventeen times Nation champion in various classes.
• Two time World champion.
• I don't know how many dozen world records or National high point championships, but they would be counted by the dozen.
• He only won the Parker 9-hour once but he was 2nd 4 times, and had a 3rd and a 4th. Was also the first outboard to lead the 9-hour, when it was clearly an inboard event.
• He won the Berlin 6-Hour, Jimbo McConnell was his co-driver, who drove the middle 2 hours. He ran 2nd in the Paris 6-hour with Ted May.
• He won the Milwaukee to Chicago race in a boat that literally sunk when he stepped out, it was so broken up.
• He was inducted into the American Power Boat Association’s Honor Squadron (Hall of Fame).
• He won 12 consecutive Needles Marathons.

The Needles Marathon was a phenom in itself. It was the first stock outboard marathon ever run and was Needles' biggest event of the year. Studying all sports strings, I have never found a run of victories quite 12 years long. He loves Needles to this day, and rightfully so. It's been at least 20 years since the last Marathon there, but when Ron Hill walks down the street in Needles, lot of (the older) people still recognize him and are happy to see him.

I fancy myself as Mr. Absolute Facts, but I am a Hill. Most people have learned that Ron never lets facts stand in the way of his good stories. And he's into self improvement, which means that the more often he tells the story, the better it gets. I've probably embellished a little here and there, but hopefully anybody who would know the difference is dead, anyway.

We're pretty close brothers. I'm 10 years, 6 months and 4 days older. I can still tell him what a dumb **** he is. But don't YOU even think that in my presence.

Jimbo-

I probably have nothing to add to the history of this great gentleman, but I'm going to anyway. I had mentioned this before but here I go again.

My Late Wife got Jimbo started in boat racing. He showed up at a little race we were having at Needles with deserted-dilapidated boat and an engine note quite that good. He had just sold a motorcycle and had $13 and wanted to race. With entry fee, club dues, APBA, etc., it cost a lot more than that to enter you first race. Judy who was the registrar reviewed the pocketful of wrinkled bills and said, "just exactly enough." And the rest is history.

He lived with my dad and Ron for a year or so when he went to college before he got drafted and had to go to Viet Nam. By then he had graduated slightly above his desert ****-box boat.

Two things my dad said and did for Jimbo was: 1. He told me "that boy is never going to make it as a boat racer." 2. Man dad also told Charlie Strang, when Charlie asked him about a good team driver, for the OMC racing team, my dad didn't hesitate --Jimbo Mc Connell. And the rest of that is also history. (There was some time in between.)

My personal favorite occurred at Blue Water, Parker, AZ, at the site of the start and finish of the Parker 9-Hour that Jimbo won 3 times in a row. Well, anyway this was long before his involvement with the OMC team. I raced D Stock Hydyo (and several other classes). I was never very good, but consistent and was generally on the podium. Of course I beat Jimbo--he wasn't really a contender. Well this time at Parker he beat me and after the race pulled in right next to me and jumped out of his boat in armpit deep water and asked me if he’d done anything wrong or dirty. I said, no Jimbo you just beat my ***.

Jimbo lives about 3 houses from my niece’s (Ron’s daughter) river house and I see him once or twice a year. We always hug and cry.

The Hauensteins--

In California there are a lot of important and significant landmarks: Sequoia, Yosemite, the Pacific Ocean, and the Hauensteins. The first three mentioned didn't contribute much to boat racing. The fourth one did.

Old Fred, who just died last week was indeed the patriarch. I have a bunch of sketchy memories of Fred Hauenstein, but the first real memory was in October 1949 at Lake Mead. He beat my Dad in C Racing Runabout. They both had 6 Stud Cs. Unless you're well over 50 years of age you've never even seen one run.

So Old Fred and Francis had 3 sons. I never reallly knew Donnie, the youngest, but the other two probably should have their busts in the Boat Racing Hall of Fame as the "Hall of Fame--Hall of Famers".

To enumerate their racing accomplishments is not what I intend to do here. I just want to say that a major piece of California's and the rest of the country's Outboard Racing has just lost one of the Kings of the Sport--The patriarch of the Hauenstein Family.

Russ Hill

racnbns
02-03-2007, 08:52 PM
I know those other 3 guys [Ron, Fred and Jimbo] but you must have been off the race course when I started in 1967. Weren't you into politics--APBA vice president or something? My initials are BS so I guess I qualify for this thread.
Bruce

tthibodaux
02-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Coming from a boat racing family, I,ve known the name Ron Hill all my life. All I really knew was that he was an accomplished boat racer and one of the best prop guys in the country. This is what BRF is all about,boat racing has lots of great racers someone should tell us stories about. Thanks Russ, this is truly GOOD READING.

russhill
02-05-2007, 08:18 PM
We left of with Needles winning the award to host the Nationals. September was a good time for Needles, but the dumb bastards (Freddie Miller) said “NO” Marathon Nations are in June. So I said OK.

Needles gets warm in June—maybe 110 -120 each day and cools off to 105 at night. Now picture this: Nobody in the Mid-worst had air-conditioned cars in 1966. (Maybe still don’t).

These “marathon racers” were hard-asses. They raced in Levis and work type shoes. They raced in lakes that let you know why the Pacific Ocean is call Pacific (peaceful). They dressed in proper regalia and headed for Californy. Many had Tee-Nee trailers with 8’ wheels. In case you don’t know, 8’’ wheel spin about three times as fast as the car pulling them.

With road temperatures in excess of 150 and spinning three times the car speed—well you guess what happened to the bearings. Good guess -- more than half the guys had wheel bearing problems. Enough. Ultimately they got to Needles.

We Californian only race on water flat as a nun’s chest and slicker than snot on a broom handle. We would cancel a a race on their smoothest day. These poor guys couldn’t pick up a tool without burning their hands. But they still wore their “racin’ clothes” (Levis, work boots, etc.), and got ready to race.

And it gets worse. Especially designed for the Needles Marathon were the “Floater” boats. They were runabouts, built like an airplane wing and would probably outrun a hydro. They couldn’t turn in a forty-acre field, but they’d go fast. Some guys would drop off a plane, turn and get going again.

I don’t think one westerner was beaten by one mid-worstener. One guy had three APBA shields on his deck. Marathon National Champion ’63, ’64 and ’65. He ran 7th. Why? There were only 6 California boats in the class.

It was a fun race. Of course there were “ISSUES’ for which I was blamed.
Probably rightly so. But we’ll talk about that later if anybody really cares.

Moneypit
02-05-2007, 10:43 PM
You really expect me to believe it gets 110-120 in NEEDLES in June? Good stories all around, but 120 degrees in Needles, I heard it was 122!!!!!...MP

Ron Hill
02-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Bruce, my brother was into APBA POLITICS and was Senior Vice President...He ran for President in 1973. I actually found his campaign flyer, the other day, and was going to reprint it for the APBA Convention in LA.......Then thought, well, people didn't buy into his ideas in 1973, they probably would see the ideas today...

One thing, my brother wanted was Split in SANCTIONS. Basically a Hobbyists Sanction and Professional Sanction. As he felt then as he feels now...certain Divisions of APBA don't really draw spectators and as a result, should have a lower priced sanction fee. Professional Sanctions would be what Series and Title Series.

Anyway, Bruce, Jr. was always at Parker....One year, when Bunker was about 13...The OMC crew was yelling to back my car down.....and no one was moving, Bunker jumped in. backed the trailer under the boat and pulled it, then, after the repairs were made, he backed it in again...He'd never driven a car, backed a trailer or driven a stick shift...Bucker was an amazing kid...

The year I lost parker by a foot, Russ Jr. told me at the time Dewy Berghauer was driving, that he's figure we could win, IF I could keep it right side up and keep my foot in it....I drove 7 hours and 40 minutes, and lost by a foot.

Here is a picture of Charlie Slough's FLOATER...I borrowed it for the Blythe Marathon, I won....I was the kilo record holder at the time...at 64 MPH. With FULL Marathon tanks, this D Runabout showed me 70 on my Keller...I never got a chance to run this boat in a kilo.....but when I went 70, with my runabout, I felt this floater would have gone 75....

geodavid
02-07-2007, 02:32 PM
It is great to see the posts by the Hill Brothers. I too have known both for fifty plus years. I can remember very well the first time I saw them race. It was at Hansen Dam, probably 1957 give or take a few years. Junior was in a hydro and Ronnie in a runabout. I could not believe how fast they were going and how close to the bank they would come by. My Dad introduced me to them, they shook my hand and made me feel like a real big shot. My Dad liked me, Ted May, Jimbo and others, but Junior and Ronnie Hill were his all time favorite racers! He beamed every time he saw either one of you guys win a race. To this day, whenever I see either, I still feel like a big shot. Or by now...maybe a sling shot. This morning I was thinking about Ronnie. I do not think I ever saw a boat dump him on his butt? Great job here by all! I have never posted before, however, could not help but get my two cents in here about the greatest family in racing. Junior, you should have been APBA President. I voted for you.

russhill
02-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Alan,

Thanks for the kind words. First, one good part of my father's death about ten years ago was that the formal, official, and final name of Junior died, too. I actually quit racing because of that name.

Your father couldn't have been a fan of mine, because I was a fan of his first. I remembered him before WWII. He raced B and C (Alky) hydros. Or was it A and B? Anyway he had the world's classiest trailer. It carried two hydros - ON EDGE. He kept the trailer at Frank Lane's outboard shop on Long Beach Blvd in Comption.

When he came to the races with you guys years later, we always talked about his racing. I was probably the only one who remembered.

There are about half a dozen names of people who to this day, when I hear their names, my heart beats faster. George Ishii is one of those.

Bill Van Steenwyk
02-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Hi Alan: Long time no see or hear from you. Glad you have found BRF. I think your nickname truely should be "Big Shot". Not because of any personality trait but because of the bombs you used to bring to DePue in the late 60's and early 70's. I remember them going off when the Star Spangled Banner used to be played and they would put up a geyser of water that looked like somebody setting off a depth charge, right down by the boat ramp I believe was where you used to pit. They were some of the "biggest shots" I have ever heard or seen that weren't commercially made. I have always thought that when they outlawed "cherry bombs" that was a great disservice to the youth of this country. How else are the kids going to learn how to handle explosives. Hope you make it to the reunion at DePue this year and bring some "cherries" with you if you come.

Bill Van

Ron Hill
02-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Alan....Ted May taught you how to set off "Fireworks".... Alan will make the Reunion, if I have to drive him there....

I'm like my brother....Though I'd never seen George Iishi drive, I was a big fan of his....and there was never a doubt in my mind that George didn't support my efforts for boat racing. George was a humble man, but he was behind boat racing 100%.....

I haven't really told Ted May stories about CHERRY BOMBS.....but in the 1960'sd , Ted would go to TJ, Mexico and come back with his T-Bird full of Cherry Bombs...and bottle rockets...

I remember racing at San Diego, 1962, (A kneel down throttle makes a PERFECT bottle rocket launcher)...Ted set off some bottle rockets that landed in the Coast Gurad's boat....The Coast Guard abandoned ship....(Patrol boat) and jumped over board)....Today, if anyone shot bottle rockets that landed in the Coast Gurad's boat, they'd spend 25 years in jail, along with the boarder patrol agents...

Ted would take two cherry bombs, and take masking tape, with a 3/8 nut taped together and drop it in the lake....Fish would be swimming around in circles, on their sides, for about 15 minutes...looked like dept charges going off...

Don't be a giving Alan too much credit...It was really TED MAY's teaching....

geodavid
02-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Ted May is the biggest pyromaniac of all time. He always had some kind of fireworks with him. Sure do remember him "fishing" with them. I also remember the cherry bombs from DePue and everywhere else. I can recall him quietly knocking on Al Passantino's motel room in Stockton. When the door cracked, Ted had a bottle rocket ready to go. We could not stand up we were laughing so hard. Then here comes Al bolting out of the room...naked, chasing Ted in the parking lot. Needless to say, we did not ever return to that motel. I was so lucky to have had the giudance of people like Ted, Doc, Pop, my Dad, Ron, Russ Sr, and Jr and their lovely mom Laura. I was turning the pages of my feeble mind and recall seeing many of the posted photos at Ron's house. When I was a little guy, we would go over to their home to visit. I guess Ron was about college age. The best ones were with Ron and the famous wrestling commentator, Dick Lane. The pictures were great. As a 7 or 8 year old, I thought Russ Sr. had discovered the fountain of youth. I can recall the photos of him bald, then look at him and see he had a full head of hair? Can you imagine what a dilemma this was to a young boy? I think I better start saving my lunch money for one of those, it looked pretty good! I do not think I was even of racing age when I got one of the famous Laura Hill ribbed life jackets. I am sorry to say that my Dad gave it to Roger Williams for his son. Wish I had it. In looking through junk, I did find a Quincy jacket that my Dad had worn. Great piece of memorabilia. Ted and Ron really helped me a ton. Ted would tell me how to set up for the start. How to pick a landmark and time your approach. I can recall something Ron taught me. To look behind you both approaching and exiting a turn. This was after I had turned at the 500 foot buoy at the "M" Nationals in Long Beach. Ron, thanks to you, I never did THAT again.
Hey, Bill Van, I still have that motor for you in my garage. Have been waiting 30 years for you to pick it up.

Ron Hill
02-08-2007, 10:50 AM
We were on our way home, when we got word my dad's cousin had died from lung cancer... So we headed to Nebraska to the funeral. We spent the night before the funeral in Arapahoe, Nebraska, my dad's home town... The local newspaper saw the boats and saw a story. This picture, was in the local paper....

This was before my dad got his "RUG"....

ADD: Guntersville....I remember Ted May buying like $200 worth of fireworks.....In Missouri....That was when $200 was a LOT OF MONEY!!!!

NOTE TO ALAN: My mom always wrote stuff on the back of pictures....and dated them...

oldalkydriver
02-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Russ JR.! What, you think that you are a Sr. now? And I don't mean senior citizen either! My dad, you remember him, went through the courts after his dad died because he didn't want to be a JR anymore. After all the woopings he gave me at the races because you and your dad would throw me in, I laughed my butt off as the judge told him "he would always be a junior and when he passed his other son would still be the III!
I found a picture you might like when I got back to the Philippines on Wednesday. I'll post it in the next couple of days. Just promise me you won't get too upset!

All these years I still remember your last race at Long Beach, just after you got drafted. You told me that you were headed to Korea. For over 50 years I had believed that you went to Korea. Even during my tours in Viet Nam, I would think about what you told me on the beach.

About a year ago, Ronnie came to Yuma and we had lunch. I mentioned it to him, and he started laughing. Korea, hell he went to Germany! How can I take back those thoughts? Really nice to read some of your post. I always ask Ron about you, after all, I knew you and your dad more then I did Ron.:D

Master Oil Racing Team
02-10-2007, 05:22 PM
This is one that may Dad used to tell around his bar whenever boat racing friends were over. As those who were there remember the bar not as a wet bar that you might think, but as an "entertainment bar". But my Dad called it his bar and that's where a lot of his BS stories took place. It snaked around a stove and grill facing my Dad where he animatedly repeated his many BS stories. The one I'm going to relate here came about as a result of his being elected Chairman of District 15-APBA.

The Year was 1974 and the APBA National Convention was in Cincinatti. My Dad, E.E. "Baldy" Baldwin got there the day before the events began, and it may have been a chance encounter with an Unlimited guy at a bar that the origins of this story began. I can't remember exactly. What did happen though was that my Dad had overheard conversations regarding the availabilty of Allison/Rolls aircraft engines that were in big demand by Unlimiteds in those days. He happened to casually mentioned he knew where possibly up to a couple of hundred were.

This of course created a little interest, but the Unlimited guys had never heard of Baldy Baldwin and how the hell would an outboard guy from South Texas know about such a stash of motors. My Dad had just thrown out some bait and it wasn't long before he had them hooked. He knew enough details about the engines and was undoubtedly providing such clues as to show that he knew what he was talking about.

Having served in WWII as an island hopping landing craft repairman he was in contact with a lot of large engines for PT boats and other craft. Also Texas probably had more air bases than any two or three other states combined. He captured and held the interest of a group of the U boat guys for a long time. They all had a great time, but he never would give up his secret. I can't remember what he told them to put them off, but it wasn't any kind of scratch-my-back kind of thing. He was a master holding an audience with his
BS and he reveled in it.

All through the convention one or another of the guys would approach him trying to gain some advantage over the others and find out where these motors were stored. In truth, there were several oilfield service companies that had large inventories of these motors for the purpose of a technique used in high pressure, low volume well treatment called "fracing" (frakking). I think Buddy Byers may have been one in this group and they later became friends, having served on numerous council meetings together. I don't know how many ever became aware of the actual status of these motors.

russhill
02-13-2007, 05:40 PM
When I started this BS Thread, I said I’d tell you stories, including how Lake Ming got its name. So here goes.

Now this is no ****… Lake Ming is a super man made-for-racing lake in Bakersfield. I’m aware of at least one stock outboard and one “Alky” National Champions being held there. Being designed and built for boat racing it is a perfect place to race.

Manual Carnakis was a Bakersfield boy. I met him in 1942, at what I believe was his first race in Newport Beach, CA. His yellow and black “WOISME” DeSilva was a perfectly beautiful boat, as were his next 25 or so “WOISMEs - XXL+” He may have had more "WOISME" than there have been Super Bowls.

Anyway he was consistently elected to the Bakersfield City Council. Of course Bakersfield then was a little farm town. It’s now the 70th largest city in the US and the twelfth largest city in California. The Mayors were not elected directed by the people, but by the City Council. So, by the early 1950s, Manny had his turn to be mayor. During his administration, he had a lake designed.

Manny presented his beautiful lake plan to anybody who would look or listen. Of couse everybody he presented it to loved it. Except a Chinese-American dentist, name Dr Ming, also on the city council, who by this time was Mayor.

He came face to face with Manual Carnakis and said, “Mr Carnakis, this lake proposal of yours is obviously for your little hobby of boat racing and will ONLY be built over my DEAD BODY.” And I have all the support I need to kill it.

That had to slow down Manny’s constructions plans. So for the next few years he continued working the plans and adding a park like environment with a restaurant and hotel.

Now he approached Dr. Ming again a few years later. Now this really is no ****. Manny said, “Doctor Ming, you’ve been a supporter of this lake project all along, and if you could see fit to support it, we’d name it after you.”

Well, the rest is history.

oldalkydriver
02-14-2007, 07:02 AM
Russ, I thought there had been two APBA National Championships at Lake Ming, but I could be wrong. I do know that the 'F' Racing Runabouts ( or 1100ccr as they are known today) has had several nationals there. If I remember correctly, the West Coast had the 'F' nationals most of the 50's and early 60's as this is where most of them were located.

Not to change the subject, but does this picture bring back any memories?

geodavid
02-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Russ,
This is a great pic. The site has become a text for the history of racing. I was pleased to see a mention of Frank Lane. Recall visiting his shop often. You know, he and my Dad remained friends for the remainder of their lives. Frank and his wife retired to Arizona and stayed in contact with us for years. Frank was a long time Johnson and Evinrude dealer. I think he raced inboards?
Another historic figure certainly was your Dad Wayne. He was the sole driving force behind Texas Outboard Racing. He even named the division we know as PRO. Racing in Texas sadly declined after he retired. There were so many great races and racers, thanks to Baldy. Had the pleasure of speaking with him a few tears ago about cutting oils. I do not think anyone did more for the sport. A wonderful host and really a great guy.
Another I see mentioned often is Jay Root. I do not think there was a nicer guy to ever race. Jay always looked out for others and I know Doc would have liked you for a son in law. Great to see so many on and in the website.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-14-2007, 12:15 PM
I've had a few memorable times in the first turn at Alex Alan. Here is one that goes in Russ's category. & this ain't no ****!

It starts out in 1972 at the Pro Nationals at DePue. Joe Rome had been moving us along in getting our act cleaned up and trying to look professional. We talked quite a contingent of Texans into making the trip and so Joe wanted to fly the Lone Star high in the pits. He didn't think about the flag until the last minute I guess because he had to go to his banker in Stafford and borrow the bank's flag to fly over the pits. In those days the Californians had been flying their flag for some time. I don't recall any other state flags flying.

Before the races started some Texans began bragging that we would accumulate more points than the Californians. I think Artie Lund, Ray Yates and some others got it started. When we got to the pits the next day, all the Texas drivers were told what was on the line. We lost that first bet and we all had to sign the Texas flag before handing it over to the Californians. Joe was just a little perturbed ;) to lose a borrowed flag. Thus was born the Flag challenges, later to become a rivalry between Texas and Washington.

Now, a few races later we were in Alexandria with plenty of Texans. Being this close to the West Coast a substantial number of Californians showed up. Texans were anxious for revenge. I think Erma Lund or someone from Artie's pits were keeping score and it was close. It didn't matter if a driver finished 10th, there were still points to be had.

It was the first heat, I think, of 1100 hydro. The field made a high speed flying start. I think there were a couple of gun jumpers including possibly Bill Rucker Sr. I was not up front, but I was on the inside and catching the gun jumpers quickly. It was obvious that at the first turn I would be in position to control it from the inside. Just to my right was Bill Rucker and my pickleforks were just a little forward of his transom.

At Alexandria the straights have a few bouys marking the inside of the course as you fly down them. We were running over 100 and just as we got to the final course marker before the first turn Bill made a hard move to the left as if that were the turn bouy.:eek: He drove like he was going to slip just by the first bouy and slide wide. It was so sudden I just had to turn with him. I ended up turning just inside that bouy and I was hot. I was thinking to myself "What the hell?...Rucker's not blind. Why'd he think this was the turn? What's he think the other guys are doing going straight.?"

I was p.o.'d. I had counted this as a win if I didn't break something. I had to circle all the way back around then start back for the first turn. By then the rest of the pack was already coming out of the turn and heading down the back straight. It all happened so quickly and we both throttled back like we were setting up for a turn that I didn't even think about what a near disaster we almost had at high speed. I was just so mad all I could think about was catching as many places as I could, if at all.

After the finish line I pulled into the infield for the black flag and was really bummed out on the way back to the pits. As I neared the judges stand I noticed a lot of commotion at Rucker's pits near the judges stand. I got back to our pits far down near the first turn. After I got out of the boat I asked what was going on. My Dad, Joe or somebody said the whole San Antonio bunch went down to Rucker's pits to whip his ***.

They thought Bill jumped the gun and turned left before the corner just to take me out. When they got to the pits they found Bill explaining how his steering bar just suddenly bent and the hydro went left. It could have been very bad. The San Antone bunch kind of stumbled around and maybe murmured some apologies, but it probably took quite a few cases of Lone Star Beer to settle their adrenaline down.:D And that ain't no ****!

Bill Van Steenwyk
02-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Since the expression "BS" and the name Baldy Baldwin are so closely entwined as most who frequent this site are aware, I thought you might be interested in hearing a story about how a new species of quail got it's name.

The story takes place in the mid to late 70's around the area of Lake Corpus Christi, Texas, or more specifically a piece of land that Baldy had leased for quail and deer hunting. If there was one thing he loved as much or maybe more than boat racing and the people involved, it was the sight of a good bird dog on point, another honoring, and then the sound of a flushing covey of wild Texas quail and the taste of same from a good days hunt. I was fortunate to have been invited to hunt with him quite a few times, and also fortunate to have a wife working for an airline that allowed me to hop on an airplane for practically nothing and go to see and hunt with him at the drop of hat,as I had an outside sales job and my time was pretty much my own as long as I did my job. Anyway, he called, I went, and we found ourselves together with a couple of dogs and Ray Hardy (no, the dogs werent Ray's wives) and we were having a grand old time watching good dogs work, shooting wild quail (hard to get those kind anymore) and all the good natured harrassing that goes along with hunting with Baldy. If you never hunted with him all I can tell you is you better not miss an easy shot or a hard one either or you would never hear the end of it. He shot a 28 guage 1100 Remington automatic, and I shot a 12 guage pump and there is probably twice as much shot in the 12 guage shell as the 28, but you better be on your best behaviour if you wanted to outshoot him, even with that advantage, and it happen very rarely, not only with me but many others we hunted with. He was just an excellent shot, a skeet champion many times over, as was most of his family.

It was getting late in the day, probably 5:30/6:00 pm, and we were probably already hunting too late in the day as it was getting dusk and hard to see. In addition I was wearing a pair of prescription sun glasses, had left my clear glasses in his Suburban, and wasn't really seeing that well because of the dark tint of the glasses and the approaching darkness. Just about the time we were going to quit and go back to the car, the dogs went on point. Somebody stepped in and flushed the birds and I dropped one on the other side of a fence that bordered an open field with nothing but fresh plowed dirt and clods in it. I ran as quick as I could and got through the fence so I could get to where I had marked the bird down. I saw what I thought was the quail lying partly under a big clod of dirt (remember it is almost dark and I still have my sunglasses on) so I bend over to pick it up, as the dog is trying to find a bird either Ray or Baldy knocked down and just as I touch it I realize it is not the quail but a cow turd or in other words "real BS". I immediately raised back up because I knew if Baldy saw me come up with a turd in my hand I would NEVER hear the end of it. TOO LATE..... He saw what I had my hand on,and the He Haw's started and continued all the way back to the house and late into the nite and until he dropped me off at the airport a couple of days later for my trip back home. I thought it would die down after a couple of weeks, but it went on and on and on like he was prone to do if he caught you making an *** out of yourself, and as anyone who knew him well can tell you, he was an expert at catching you.

Several months went by and Eileen and I were in a resturant in southern Missouri, called "Lamberts, Home of Throwed Rolls" where the waiters and waitresses toss your rolls from 20/30 ft away instead of putting them on your table in a basket. Just another hot spot to frequent if you come to Missouri, but anyhow,as we were paying our bill, I noticed at the cash register among the knick/knacks for sale, was a small bell jar, like you would hang an antique watch or other memento in, with a glass cover over it, with small brown turds fastened together with toothpicks and adorned with pink feathers so it looked like a small bird with a cardboard beak. Eileenmmediately said "we have to get that for Baldy, as it is a real turd bird", so we bought it and I wrote a quite lengthy description with the appropriate latin phrases, like "Turdis Birdis, Ozark species, etc., etc., and we boxed it up and sent it to him. As Wayne mentioned in another thread I believe, it immediately became one of his prized possessions and was displayed on his book case in the bar/kitchen/ area and he would tell the story to anybody who would listen about the "Turd Bird", and the dumb *** who killed it.

Wayne said in the other thread that it was burned in the house fire that destroyed Baldy's home, but I visited with him in the mid 90's I believe,after the fire and he showed it to me as one of the very few things he saved besides a few of his guns,when he woke up in the middle of the night with his house on fire. There was certainly nothing funny about the fire, but Baldy did tell one amusing story about that nite. When he discovered the house on fire in the middle of the night, the phone line was already burned in two, as the fire started in a laundry room where the junction box for the phones was located. He ran out to the car port, backed the Surburban out and got on the radio to his business in Alice, to have them call the fire dept. The house burned to the ground either before they got there or was so fully engulfed by the time they did, that they were of little help. Anyway, the Surburban had about 150,000 or more miles on it and Baldy always said he should have pulled it back under the carport and let it burn too, as it was the only thing that was not a total loss and it was worn out. He said "that was the biggest case of dumb *** I ever saw, and it was right here at home".

There are many story's that can be told with him at the center, and he would be proud I know to be known as one of the biggest "BSr's" of all time.

geodavid
02-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Bill,
I was in an accident milling for the start in Winona, that is hard to believe was not my fault. I was sitting there kind of forlorn when Baldy sauntered over, asked if I was alll right, then said "All the squirrels are not up in trees."
This has remained a response for doing anything stupid in our household ever since. Passed from generation to generation. Just giving credit where it is due. Hey Wayne, what happened in the second heat of that 1100 race? I think that very well could have been the corner I will never forget. In flipping the memory pages, I remember the six bangers that you passed and believe one was none other than the Great Billy Jack Rucker.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-16-2007, 01:08 PM
There are quite a few sayings that Joe reminds of of Alan since I wasn't always around to hear them.

One that Joe likes to tell is from one of those hot days at DePue. There was a race delay and Joe and my Dad were sitting on a concrete wall down from the VFW taco stand. They were just sitting there quietly, my Dad swinging the handle of his crank rope back and forth when he told Joe--"I'm so hungry I could eat the *** end off a cow walking fourteen miles an hour".

As far as the second heat goes, I would have to look that up. I have been trying to remember which race you had referred to earlier and I am not exactly sure. One that comes to mind happened in the early 70's though. And it may have been as much optical illusion as driving so I am not sure I can take full credit.

Tim Butts was wanting to quit his work at Eaton Corp and go into full time boat building. He had already placed ads in Roostertail and maybe even Propeller. We became friends a couple of years earlier and my Dad was impressed with the new boats he had designed. My Dad wanted him to build us a B hydro, but he said no. He wanted to build us a CDF so my Dad agreed. He was wanting to show the boating world he could build more than just AB hydros. That was the first one and my Dad named it HOOKIN' BULL. We took deliver of it at Alexandria in 1972.

We tested and got the boat set up. During the racing that weekend my Dad noticed a big hole consistently appearing in the first turn when there were a lot of boats together there. Having ridden deck with Charlie Bailey I also noticed it. When racing you don't always get to look around in the first turn too much.

Anyway, I think it was in a heat of 1100 hydro that all the boats were together at the line and there was a race to the turn. I was caught up around lane 8 or 9 or so. I thought about trying to break out by hanging on the throttle to the last minute and get enough ahead for a legal overlap. Everybody was hanging on though, including the inside boats. Each boat further outside knew he was going to catch a lot of water when the turning began.

I didn't get enough lead by the time we were ready to set up for the turn, then I remembered my Dad telling me about that big hole. I immediately dumped the throttle to scrub off speed as quickly as possible, looking over my left shoulder at the same time. No one there. I got back on the power and turned hard left. There were a couple of boats inside that had now backed off to get through the turn, but between them and the rest of the pack was a huge hole.

There were three things going for me at that time. First, I hung on the the throttle longer than the inside boats, thus more speed. Second, I cut about 30 to 50 yards off the corner compared to all the others who went so wide. And finally and most important, I was the ONLY ONE to have a Butts Aerowing. It was the ONLY CDF Aerowing in the world at that time. Even without the other two advantages, the smooth drivability and cornering characterestics let me blow that corner down and be headed down the straight while the others were still in the turn.

I can still remember that corner and I'm guessing that it is the one you remember also.

geodavid
02-16-2007, 02:08 PM
YES, that is "the corner" Wayne. I swear, it did not look like you had a chance. Then, through the roostertails, you slipped right through. Whew, got a little out of breath thinking about it. Better take a few from the oxygen bottle.
I could not type I was laughing so hard about the cow *** eating at moving speed. Wayne, we all miss him, none more than you do. A great person and now that I have a couple of brats, I see him as...a great Dad.

russhill
03-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Ron called me today and said I should check out the latest on Jack Leek. I did. As i said, we lost a winner.

But then I saw the words "Winter Nationals" and laughed. You know we old folks laugh easily.

Now this is one of those Russhillian stories, you don't have to believe it, but it's no ****, honest.

In about '69 or '70 some land swindle company in Topock wanted to hold a boat race to attract buyers. Topock is on the Colorado River about 15 miles south of Needles. They were going to put up some fantabulous amount of money--maybe $15,000, so we said, "go for it." (Well it wasn't all cash much of it was discount on the land which was almost worthless.)

It was to be in February or March--it seldom get over 100 degrees at that time of year. So I said Let's call it the "Winter Nationals." I wasn't creative enough to have thought of that myself, the NHRA had held WinterNationals for years.

So I presented it to the APBA hierarchy. Well, of course, they refused it on the grounds that it would dilute the significance of the "real" nationals. For 104 years, APBA has always rejected new ideas.

So I said, "Here are two guys, Fred National and Clyde Winter who want to give us $15,000 (or maybe it was $25,000) and because you are prejudiced against their names, you are going to tell them to go fu-- themselves?"

It was a pretty successful race. I think we called it the "Winter-Nationals." It was all stock and "Alky" as we called it then, but I note we're still running a "Winter Nationals" without the hyphen.

Ron want's to have a Nostalgic Nationals, but again APBA is against it--but we'll cover that later.

Master Oil Racing Team
07-31-2007, 09:37 AM
One of the highlights of the reunion was to meet Russ Hill. I think Russ must have had a great time too because he met someone that could compete on equal terms-----Joe Rome. Joe could throw back anything Russ sent his way. It was great to listen to those two as we sat in the VFW waiting for reunion attendees to sign in. Now to the story.

This ain't no S*#T.

Joe and I left out on Monday afternoon planning to get way down the road, then get an early start Tuesday to go visit Marshall Grant before heading on to DePue. We rode in Joe's Tahoe and he made good time. We ran 75 to 80 most of the way so we got past Little Rock. We shut down just a little west of West Memphis. After we spent 5 hours with Marshall we headed north. Joe called a friend and he suggested we go up 57 rather than 55. It was a good choice because we would have hit St Louis at the afternoon rush. Again, we pushed 80 and made good time.

I was originally planning to fly back to Houston, but a couple of weeks earlier I decided to ride back as Joe wasn't going to stay late on Sunday. So after we went to the pits and made our farewells we hit the road.

Joe didn't really push too hard in Illinois, but we made good time. Before we got to St Louis Joe began to squeeze the throttle & we flew --taking the direct route through St Louis. We had decided on coming back through there because we figured traffic would be light on Sunday afternoon.

Up to this point I never offered to drive and Joe never asked. Joe was pushing hard and we both wanted to get to DePue quickly and the same when we headed home. If I was behind the wheel, I would have kept it legal (except where I had to keep up with the truck traffic.) But Joe was getting us down the road and that was what we both wanted.

We had figured on getting at least to Little Rock or maybe as far as Texarkana before shutting down. We found a Cracker Barrel on the east side of Little Rock (Joe has a Cracker Barrel map), but Joe pealed off to the loop a couple of miles before we got to it. So we kept going. Then Joe's eagle eye spotted one on the other side of Little Rock. After eating we got a little sleepy so we pulled into a rest area just outside Texarkana. We, no make that Joe, slept for two hours, waking up only once. I leaned over in the seat with my eyes closed, but no sleep. I can sleep at a drilling rig, but there I can scoot the seat of my pickup back and tilt the seat all the way. It was too cramped in Joe's Tahoe to do any of that.

So we get back on the road about 2 am. I am still not offering to drive or Joe not asking. He is pushing hard and we have come across very few state troopers. I am really sleepy now and try to grab a few winks between towns. Around Nacogdoces Joe does a little weaving so I finally ask him if he wants me to drive. He declines. We put on some Fabulous Thunderbirds and crank it up. Everything is fine. Joe is checking his watch.

We get on down the road a ways and I am back trying to get some sleep. About 80 miles north of Houston Joe is weaving more. It seems like he can't make up his mind on a starting lane. Then he sweeps hard left and I jump up. I told him he was heading for the turn lane for a crossover. He denied it, but in the interest of safety I asked again if he wanted me to drive. I am now not thinking about getting back quickly---just about getting back. But he is talking like he is wide awake and I have gotten only a little REAL sleep. Joe checks the time.

We pass through Shepard and I am now sitting back up. The sky has lightened up considerably and the sun is just about up. Joe checks his watch. Now Joe starts crossing back and forth over the center stripe. A little further he weaves constantly from one lane to the next. Then from the rumble trips on the outside to those on the inside. Suddenly Joe says "Now I'm sleepy". We pull into a gas station and switch. I drive for the first time on the trip. We are primed to enter Houston a quarter after 7:00 on a Monday morning rush hour. Joe's timing was perfect & that ain't no S*%T!

Skoontz
08-01-2007, 06:25 AM
Is one of KT's favorites. After she won Sunday at Parker he walked down from the Hills pit to the stock pit area and gave her a big hug. He is famous for his "Nappy haired Hoe" comment to KT when she was trying to comb out her helmet head hair. If Joe is like Russ, I did not think the world had another like him. Can't wait to se him at Longbeach, and then a week later he is usually at the SCAOMC meets swapping stories. The most favorite, the one about young Jimbo beating the seasoned Russ for the first time:):)

Master Oil Racing Team
08-01-2007, 07:18 AM
Well Skoontz, I can't say Joe is like Russ. It appears Russ is one of a kind. What I meant is that Joe can fire right back. While we had some lulls in action waiting for people to come pick up their packets, the time passed quickly listening to the two.:) Have a great time at Long Beach and the meet.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-07-2007, 07:22 AM
I had a long answer to your question Ray, but then my computer crashed twice so I never tried again. The short answer is no more signs and the rest of the story is that it caused me a lot of grief. We all understood the meaning out of frustration, but for those that didn't, It made them plenty mad.

Now this BS story comes to mind after looking at and reading comments about Skoontz's rendering of Miss KT's boat in a port side red and starboard side green color scheme. The comment about it being one color down one straightaway and a different color down the other was very funny. It reminded me of a story I was told by Joe Rome a number of years ago and retold it here on BRF awhile back, but it really belongs in Russ's BS thread. I would like to be on the sidelines and hear Joe tell it to Russ in person, but anyway....here goes.

Joe has loved and been around racing since he was probably 6 or 7. When he wasn't boat racing, he was involved in car racing. I don't remember who owned or drove the car, but early one Sunday morning they were headed to a stock car race south of Houston. They stopped at a service station in Ganado. In those days US 59 went straight through all the small towns. No bypasses. When they went to start the car the motor just went "rrruunhh......rrruunhhh". The tow car had a hemi that had just been reworked and was tight. The 6 volt electrical system wasn't ginnin' up to snuff so they decided that they would push the tow car with the race car. They had a 1950 Ford with a supercharged 390 hooked up to a tow bar.

They needed to get to about 35 mph to crank up the tow car as it was automatic. For a quiet Sunday morning that race car rattled all the windows in town. They got the tow car started then headed off. Just as they got out of town they passed a red chevy pickup parked on the right side of the road. They waved and continued on.

When Joe and his buddies got into Edna, there was a road block. The driver asked "What's the problem officer?" One replied "We were told to hold you for the Constable from Ganado". Just then the Constable comes huffing up. Joe says he was the model for Buford T. Justice in every manner from looks and attitude to intelligence. "CRANK IT UP"...he roared! Joe's saying to himself "Please start.....please..please start." And it did. Everyone in the car was momentarily relieved until the constable began looking back and forth between the tow car and the race car said "What? Black.....red? Did you guys see a car towing a red race car go by"? "Yep" , blurted out the driver, "goin' about a hunnerd an twenny miles an hour."

That was about the time Joe glanced back at the tow car and saw the reflection of their black race car in a show room window with the right side covered in red primer from unfinished repairs from the previous race. "Oh Lord, please don't let them look up....please Lord." Joe was sweating bullets when constable Buford T. Justice promised "We'll git em on the way back."

They took the long way home. And that ain't no (bleep)

Doug Martin
10-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Let me tell you. How I have loved your B.S. Stories since I can remember.
Rick Jerome & I would love to hear your stories. I think I can still remember some and that has been 48 years ago. Thanks Doug Martin 7-C

Ron Hill
12-07-2009, 10:20 AM
It has been awhile since I have written any real BS, Big Stories, but some how Bill and Mary Koch's name popped into may head.

Bill was kind of tall and lanky with red hair and side burns. Had he worn a cowboy hat he'd have looked like a cowboy, don't recall what his wife looked like, but I once escorted their daught to a school dance.

Bill had raced B Hydro with a Swift, I think, with little success. My dad was trying to help him, and talked them into buying a new DeSilva. His wife, Mary was going to race the new DeSilva in AU, all stock runabouts in those days had open cockpits for a front seat.

Bill got the new DeSilva and went to Long Beach to test.

About two days later he stopped by our house and he looked like he'd been in a hell of a fight and lost. My Old Man asked him if he wanted some boxing lessons?

Bill said, "No, I was testing at Long Beach and hit a ski boat roller and I went so high in the air that when I came down I sheared a pin, and I flew into the front seat. Just as I was grabbing to hang on a piece of the shearping that was still in the prop shaft caught the prop and threw me into the back seat, as I grabbed the steering wheel, that part of the pin sheared or flew out and into the front seat I went again.....

Now that is a NO **** STORY!

Our first race that year was at Carlsbad, and in BU, Bill broke out front with his new DeSilva, and Hill Mark 20-H. He'd never been in the lead before, and lead almost all the way to the first turn. Bill kept looking over his shoulder like asking when is everyone going to pass me??? He was pulling ahead. It appeared from the shore that he reached back and pulled his spark lever and the boat stopped and everyone passed him.

Bill raced A and B Runabout at Long Beach about a month later. But I never saw Bill and Mary again. Some people go to races to have fun. Some people go to races to win.

The story of the shear pin has been stuck in my mind for 53 years.

Tim Chance
12-07-2009, 10:51 AM
He'd never been in the lead before,

That makes me think of a racing partner of mine from about 45 years ago. He had been racing about 10 years without much success. Then he got a new Konig and a 10-6 Sid. Anyhow, he got a perfect start and came hauling into the first turn and came out of the corner kind of diagonally across the lake. Everybody passed him. He realized he was last and started picking them off one by one and finished second.

When he came in I asked what happened and he told me that he had never been in first place before and he didn't have anybody to follow so he didn't know where to go.

bandit
12-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Now thats a good no s**t story, i'm glad someone started this thread!!
That makes me think of a racing partner of mine from about 45 years ago. He had been racing about 10 years without much success. Then he got a new Konig and a 10-6 Sid. Anyhow, he got a perfect start and came hauling into the first turn and came out of the corner kind of diagonally across the lake. Everybody passed him. He realized he was last and started picking them off one by one and finished second.

When he came in I asked what happened and he told me that he had never been in first place before and he didn't have anybody to follow so he didn't know where to go.

russhill
12-07-2009, 08:45 PM
The Bill Koch story about being thrown into the front seat, then the back seat and then the front seat is 100% correct. I'm not saying there's a grain of truth in the story, but that's exactly how it was presented.

I liked old Bill

Ron Hill
07-06-2010, 07:41 PM
I have trying to figure out where to post this but decided Big Stories is probably the best place.

I pretty much traveled the whole summer of 1967, the last race we went to was Essex, Maryland for the Stock Nationals. Stocks were still big on those days as guys like Jerry Waldman and Bobby Herring would show up and run the Nationals, usually in the Hedlund Marine equipment.

I was defending Champion is DSR but had sold my boat and was running my marathon boat. I did finish second to Don Pontius. I had no D Hydro so I borrow Buzz Godfried's Sid. I went over and measured the Berghauer's air traps and cut mine to match (Borrowed boat but what the heck, Berghauers knew their stuff...).

Bottom line, I got to the first turn first and Dewey Berghauer saw the New York numbers on my deck and figured he'd just pinch me off at the first bouy....About the time Dewey started to squeeze me, I dumped my sponson and the spray damn near blew Dewey out of the boat. By the time he recovered I'd won the heat. It was only in inspection after the second heat, that Dewey figured out that New York boat was me.

As it turned out I was the SLOWEST qualifier in the finals. The Berghauer were the CLASS of the field...In fact they ran 1, 2 and 3 in CSH in the finals and Dewey and Dee moved over to let brother Denis win as it was his equipment....No matter they were FAST and LEGAL...

In D Hydro we had like four restarts, and every time I was last. My Old Man said, "Let's get your motor inspected and head for California..." I said, "No, I'm going to win this thing..." Next restart Denis Berghauer and I pile into each other in the second turn and I knock a hole in my side chine and sponson chine and my props chewed a hole in Denis's boat..

My old man is cold, wet and tired...No more boat gas and now I've wrecked a borrowed boat.

We when we restart, I start legal because I know I'm SLOW...BUT I START PASSING GUYS. I end up with a 5th overall behind Dewey and Denis Berghauer....and one blade looks like a 575 wing. I never straighten that blade but won probably 25 D Hydros races with if after Essex, Maryland...

Two weeks later...Deny, Dewey, and I are in New York when we met Jimmy Dean! Mr. Big, Bad John...

John Schubert T*A*R*T
07-07-2010, 05:36 AM
I have trying to figure out where to post this but decided Big Stories is probably the best place.

I pretty much traveled the whole summer of 1967, the last race we went to was Essex, Maryland for the Stock Nationals. Stocks were still big on those days as guys like JErry Waldman and Bobby Herring would show up and run the Nationals, usually in the Hedlund Marine equipment.

I was defending Champion is DSR but had sold my boat and was running my marathon boat. I did finish second to Don Pontius. I had no D Hydro so I borrow Buzz Godfried's Sid. I went over and measued the Berghauer's air traps and cut mine to match (Borrowed boat but what the heck, Berghauers knew therir stuff...).

Bottom line, I got to the first turn first and Dewey Berghauer saw the New York numbers on my deck and figured he'd just pinch me off at the first bouy....About the time Dewey started to squeeze me, I dumped my sponson and the spray damn near blew Dewey out of the boat. By the time he recovered I'd won the heat. It was only in inspection after the second heat, that Dewey figured out that New York boat was me.

As it turned out I was the SLOWEST qualifier in the finals..The Berghauer were the CLASS of tghe ifeld...In fact they ran 1, 2 and 3 in CSH in the finals and Dewey and Dee moved over to let brother Denis win as it wsa his equipment....No matter they were FAST and LEGAL...

In D Hydro we had like four restarts, and everytime I was last. My Old Man said, "Let's get your motor inspected and head for California..." I said, "No, I'm going to win this thing..." NExt restart Denis Berghauer and I pile inot each other in the second tunr and I knock a hole in my side chine and sponson chine and my props chewed a hole in Denis's boat..

My old man is cold, wet and tired...No more boat gas and now I've wreck a borrowed boat.

We when we restart, I start legal becasue I know I'm SLOW...BUT I START PASSING GUYS. I end up with a 3rd overall behind Dewey and Denis Berghauer....and one blade looks like a 575 wing. I never straighted that blade but won probably 25 D Hydros races with if after Essex, Maryland...

Two weeks later...Deny, Dewey, and I are in New York when we meet Jimmy Dean! Mr. Big, Bad John...

Sorry Ron, Stan Armstrong was 3rd overall & I was 4th. You were 5th. Stan won the 1st heat & I was 2nd, not sure of the finishers after that. In one of the many restarts, at dusk, I had a flying legal start & going through turn 2 coming around for the white flag that was flying, they put out the red flag as they said that they couldn't get all the jumpers. For the last heat they assigned a person for every boat. Berghauers finished 1 - 2 in the final so-called only legal start.

Ron Hill
07-07-2010, 08:24 AM
I think you straightened me out on this before. It seemed we ran D Hydros for two hours, and the last heat was very "DUSK"...I did get a trophy, after being the slowest boat in the race and I feel it was becasue my prop got bent on Deny's boat.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Ron...I remember a lot of Ted May stories you posted. I posted some pictures of Ted May. I remember Miss BK posting some very funny and personal stories about Ted. I put his name up in the Search engine a couple of times and came up empty. When I added other words...I got a whole slew. So I guess you must be correct and you have to put up a specific thread. I didn't know Ted, but I knew who he was. I will put pictures and other stuff I have about Ted here.

WaltZucher
09-29-2023, 02:40 AM
One of my favorite stories is the Stock Outboard Marathon National Championships. Now Freddie Miller had started the Stock Outboard Marathon National Championships concept. I loved old Freddie like a brother. We were close—there was never a subject that ever came up that we agreed on. We could disagree on anything. https://eldfall-chronicles.com/product-category/miniatures/factions/empire-of-soga-factions/ (Freddie Miller has done more for APBA Outboard Racing than any two guys I know)

Well Old Freddie started this Marathon Nationals concept in about 1963 and they held three successful Championships in 63, 64 and 65. I teased him about it being a Michigan State Championship, since all the races had been held in Michigan. So I got a rule through the APBA Council that said in essence that in order to be a “National” Championship, more than one state must host them.

And separately, I had Needles bid to make the Needles Marathon the “Nationals”. crypto poker freeroll (https://swcpoker.club/posts/bitcoin-poker-freerolls/all-day-freerolls) The Commission had to go for it, there were no other states bids and Michigan couldn’t keep them.

I said we’d like to schedule the race for the last week of September, like the Needles Marathon had always been scheduled. The weather was nice then, generally less than 100 degrees. No, the Mid-West bloc said “we ALWAYS hold them in June.” I said, “OK”. I didn’t mention that the temperatures could be well in to the 120s at that time of year.

So, a lot of Mid-Westerners came to needles in June 1966 and learned what HOT meant.

I’ll go into some details about the race in my next BS

It's like a good old game of "agree to disagree.