PDA

View Full Version : 50 hp

JohnsonM50
01-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Ive got a 1972 OMC 2 cyl. 50hp Im thinkin about Rat-ify-in, before the time and expense I wonder if anyone knows if it has the same footprint / shaft spline size as a typical E,F 3 holer? In case I wanna do it differently further on down the river.

mercmack
01-25-2007, 11:31 PM
The Best Way To Fix That Eng Is To Tie A 150ft Rope On It, It Will Make A Ggggggrrrrreeeeaaaattttt Anchor:d :d :d

mercguy
01-25-2007, 11:47 PM
The Best Way To Fix That Eng Is To Tie A 150ft Rope On It, It Will Make A Ggggggrrrrreeeeaaaattttt Anchor:d :d :d

LOL!!!:D :D

JohnsonM50
01-26-2007, 05:24 AM
That bad eh? It still runs, Ive got lots of WOT time on it, It will start instantly after a winter aaannd has 175 lbs compression with no work done.
I put a Merc 50 on the same boat thinkin itll go now... ALMOST but no, the truth is the OMC outperforms and WAY outlasted it. still goin in salt. :p
Keep point-n & laff-n thats all fun but does anybody know? :confused: :rolleyes:

JohnsonM50
01-26-2007, 05:26 AM
LOL!!!:D :D

Have you test run the Bass Too-Hot-Sue ?? How is it?

Mark75H
01-26-2007, 06:45 AM

LOL, after you've seen one modded to go 100 mph, you'd have a different used for it :) :)

mercmack
01-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Many And I Mean Many Years Ago When I Was Stationed At Homestead Afb, Fl..i Went Down To The Maithon Nationals In Key West, Fl ..back When The 50 Hp Had Just Come Out..i Was Taking To A Omc Rep That Was There..he Said If You Rev The Shi## Out Of Them They Will Live For Ever..its The Fishermen That Have It Proped To Only Turn Said 4600 To 4900 Rpm; That Kills The Eng..yes It Kill The Mercs That Day..not That I Want To Say That..
So If You Get One In The Shop That Wont Idle At All, Run Great Above Say 1500 Rpms And You Give It A Leakdown Test And Its All Leak Down..its Time To Make The Square Holes Round Again..
I Had Two Of Them This Past Summer At The Part Time Job..one Was A 60hp And I Am Stilll Trying To Talk Him Out Of It Now.(is On A Pontoon Boat)...:d :d

JohnsonM50
01-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Many And I Mean Many Years Ago When I Was Stationed At Homestead Afb, Fl..i Went Down To The Maithon Nationals In Key West, Fl ..back When The 50 Hp Had Just Come Out..i Was Taking To A Omc Rep That Was There..he Said If You Rev The Shi## Out Of Them They Will Live For Ever..its The Fishermen That Have It Proped To Only Turn Said 4600 To 4900 Rpm; That Kills The Eng..yes It Kill The Mercs That Day..not That I Want To Say That..
So If You Get One In The Shop That Wont Idle At All, Run Great Above Say 1500 Rpms And You Give It A Leakdown Test And Its All Leak Down..its Time To Make The Square Holes Round Again..
I Had Two Of Them This Past Summer At The Part Time Job..one Was A 60hp And I Am Stilll Trying To Talk Him Out Of It Now.(is On A Pontoon Boat)...:d :d
The 60 would be a 3 holer? The 50s 2, Ive got it bolted high, tilted out on a 15ft aluminum Cherokee, [its heavy duty]. Yup it gets airtime, I ran this for about a decade, always on it and even ran 12 gallons of 100 to 1 by mistake no problem. Definitly a posterchild OMC.

Roy Hodges
01-26-2007, 12:56 PM
he is talking about a 60 horse two holer . Not talking at all about 3 holers.( merc mack is my buddy)

JohnsonM50
01-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Just askin a Q, aint got an answer. I can find out and all, just hoped askin here might be an easy button. Seems instead I knocked on the cabin fever door. I know I got it, aint been on h2o since the 6th.

river_ratj40
01-30-2007, 12:48 AM
omc 2 hole, major horsepower, minor motors, carbs and exhaust is the cheapest way. you might set your time up, it seems like you have the compression numbers about right. those motors can run comfortably up to about 205# without worry, some race motas are above 225, i wouldnt try that right now. you can finger port one and get a little bit more out of it. just a little food for thought.

JohnsonM50
01-30-2007, 05:28 AM
Thanks, yeah at 41.5ci to 50 hp, not a bad motor at all, as a stock moda its biggest drawback is the huge lower and nearly 3 to 1 gearing. Im thinkin of getting a Bass midsection w/ pump and fitting it up, thats why I want to know if a 72 50 has the same footprint as a race type 3 holer. That way in case I want to up size or sell/trade itll have more value. :confused:

Fast Fred
01-30-2007, 06:29 AM
drive shaft die' is smaller on the 2 cyl, 3 cyl Nitro guts fit.

got a 4bbl with secondarys for it.:cool:

Roy Hodges
01-30-2007, 08:33 AM
I think Johnson m50 is asking if the 2 cyl & the 3 cyl has the same base on the bottom of the powerhead ? Do they have the same bolt pattern ? The Nitro lower unit (case) is same for 2 & 3 cylinders. the gears (different ratio) are different as is the DRIVE shaft &water pump. hope this helps, or please excuse the interuption .

JohnsonM50
01-30-2007, 03:18 PM
I think Johnson m50 is asking if the 2 cyl & the 3 cyl has the same base on the bottom of the powerhead ? Do they have the same bolt pattern ? The Nitro lower unit (case) is same for 2 & 3 cylinders. the gears (different ratio) are different as is the DRIVE shaft &water pump. hope this helps, or please excuse the interuption .

:D DING! DING! DING! Thanks Roy. I want to put a 50 on a bass lower unit, This I think can be purchased machined for a 3 hole OMC, I already have a 50 so if theyre the same Itll have more future potential as an E,F lower than it would if theres a difference. Really only the base footprint matters, you can get driveshafts squared easily.

Jeff Akers
01-30-2007, 05:21 PM
The OMC 3 cyl and the OMC 2cyl you are talking about are NOT the same bolt patern...It would be very EZ to make an adapter plate though.

iwanajohnson
02-03-2007, 03:35 AM
An adapter for one to fit a different mid and lower on it and some motor mods like carbs, exhaust, ports, would make it scream, you got the right thinkin just gotta get it done now, nice base to start out with though, it'll run good though.

JohnsonM50
02-03-2007, 06:56 AM
Thanks i.w.j. Ive got a Bass lower under a 32ci OMC, not really enough moda for the unit. The 50 Im thinkin now [like Jeff said] might be able to be adapt plated to the one Ive got. Id run the motor stock at 1st, Im sure itll be good... for now.