PDA

View Full Version : How much REAL speed?

tthibodaux
02-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Ok. I know a nose cone and low water pickup makes a differance. But.. I have never run 1 against the other on the same boat. I guess what I'm asking is on a older boat with not alot of money tied up in is it worth the money? Are we talking a mph or a few?

Mark75H
02-06-2007, 07:58 PM
If you are asking that particular question, you aren't in the speed range where that stuff is going to make any difference

Low water pickups and nosecones are crutches that are used to overcome bad behavior of particular props or boat handling - not direct speed increasers

In order for them to help you go faster, you have to be running fast but having problems with blow out and or sudden ventilation at high speed with a prop and boat that can probably run faster if it would just be stable

tthibodaux
02-06-2007, 08:08 PM
A friend asked me but I didn't have facts to back up what I said. So I guess what you are saying is I can take off the gearcase on my HydroStream (with low water pickup) on put on a stock with the same prop and run the same speed. Sure wish I would have known that before I spent $600 on the case before I even riged my V4 on my boat last year. I just asumed It was a must do for a 70+ mph pad bottom boat.

largecar91
02-07-2007, 06:20 AM
The advantage to low water pick ups is that it allows you to run the engine at higher transom heights and still suck water. It is the height of the propshaft and proper setup that is actually increasing the speed.

Mark75H
02-07-2007, 07:47 AM
So I guess what you are saying is I can take off the gearcase on my HydroStream (with low water pickup) on put on a stock with the same prop and run the same speed.

I never said that, I said the nosecone and low pickup themselves are not the speed increasers. YOU ARE GOING BACKWARDS from your original question and that isn't logical.

Like Large said, they work with a prop change and set up change to go faster.

If you have a motor jacked up high and running over "blow out" speed and switch back to no cone and no low pickup you will have a mountian of trouble going back to stock --- but you never said that in post 1. Post 1 asks how much speed they give by themselves and you were answered.

Let's go farther FORWARD - a low water pickup and nosecone by themselves do not give any speed increase. BUT, on some boats adding them could let you change props and motor height and gain tremendous speed. The speed increase will not come from the nosecone and low pickup - it will come from changing the prop and set up. If you weren't pushing up into blow out speed with the std lower unit, the nosecone isn't going to let you go any faster. It only helps when a std bullet is holding you back. Low water pick up only helps if you have a boat and prop that benefit from running the prop so high the normal water inlets are too low

tthibodaux
02-07-2007, 09:18 AM
I misunderstood I guess. I never ran my boat with a conservative set up, I knew what I wanted it to do. A friend has a Triton 21 bass boat that I just put a hot foot and pro trim in for him and he wanted to put the nose cone on this case. My answer was of coarse it make since I mean it's pointed not blunt. So, if we make NO setup changes to the Triton execpt LWP am I correct in saying NO SPEED DIFFERANCE? I actually sound alittle stupid but thats why I asked.

Mark75H
02-07-2007, 09:31 AM
:) That's it! :) We are on the same wavelength! :)

tthibodaux
02-07-2007, 09:35 AM
The OPTI on the triton is so heavy if you raise it up he can't drive the boat. I think the balance is way off. Saying that I would now say it's not worth the $600 bucks. I sure thought it was good for a couple mph anyway.:D