PDA

View Full Version : Old F1 pics.

tthibodaux
02-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Found a few pictures I thought were pretty cool.

tthibodaux
02-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Cees and Rick Frost.

tthibodaux
02-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Andy Bullen and Benny Robertson.

tthibodaux
02-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Gene Thibodaux old carb V8 in about 84.

tthibodaux
02-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Roger Jenkins.

tthibodaux
02-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Benny and Bob Spalding.

RAANA
02-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Found a few pictures I thought were pretty cool.

Tim,

This boat # 17 is the crazy Finn Aarno Häkkinen I was talking about,
he had one of those Spalding/Hodges super Rude engines.
The guy started driving raceboats directly from F-1 later tested
a smaller SE (f-4 or S-850) boat. I was told that during the first season
for Velden they had the trim locked so he couldn´t trim it out for the ragged edge,
othervise he would have been killed instantly.

Those pics as this one are from my good friend K-J Holmström Fin

tthibodaux
02-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Post more pictures RAANA. You showed me a couple of these so I know you have more.:D

Ron Hill
02-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Please post MORE Pictures and post often...

I was in Amber Marine, today and guess what I found on the WALL...Gene and Cees...

jackus173
02-26-2007, 07:36 AM
http://jackottobrini.noosblog.fr/racing_car_and_race_boat or dailymotion, search race boat group for see f1 v8 video world championchips !!! :D ;)

tthibodaux
02-26-2007, 11:29 AM
http://jackottobrini.noosblog.fr/racing_car_and_race_boat or dailymotion, search race boat group for see f1 v8 video world championchips !!! :D ;)It may be my computer but it didn't work.:confused: Has anyone else tried? All I got was "unable to display this page".

Mark75H
02-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Let's try this link instead ... http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1b67g_oz-v8-monster-80

Jeff Akers
02-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks for fixin it Sam:)

That was awsome ! I love watchin those old V8 boats:cool:

tthibodaux
02-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks for fixin it Sam:)

That was awsome ! I love watchin those old V8 boats:cool:I wish tunnel boat races would start running those LONG straight aways and one pin turns again.:D Sure makes for better racin if you ask me.

Joe J
02-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Watching that brings back memories of the first few F1 races in Sacramento. There were a few shots in the video form there as well.

Joe

jackus173
02-27-2007, 06:55 PM
i make this video with a old k7 of motorsport !!! and if i find a other video of f1 race boat of 80' i post for you ,and sorry for broken link....:( :confused: .....try a jackottobrini.noosblog.fr on google or write racing car and race boat and scale model, on engine search !!!!..........:D :p ;)

keith scotton
02-27-2007, 07:24 PM
That is just COOL

Miss BK
02-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Watching that brings back memories of the first few F1 races in Sacramento. There were a few shots in the video form there as well.

Joe

I noticed that too, Joe. The only time I ever got to see them was at Sacramento 85 (or 84?). That was such a heart wrenching weekend. One I'll never forget.

I've got several VHS tapes of their television series that I recorded, but can't figure out how to make clips from them.

tthibodaux
02-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Miss BK, the year was 85 if your refering to Jimbo's accident.:(

corin_huke
02-28-2007, 03:54 PM
You may or may not be aware that the first safety capsule (cell) in F1 was designed and built by a British guy called Chris Hodges. It was after Tom Percival was killed in a racing accident that Hodges decided that he wanted to do something to help increase the driver's safety

The very first cell (picture below) is in a powerboat museum in England

http://www.motorboatmuseum.org.uk/collections/safety.php

The rumour goes that in order to test the strength of the cell in the event of a large impact, they flew a helicopter at speed a few feet about the water and dropped the cell out

jackus173
03-01-2007, 05:01 AM
i post a new video on dailymotion (raceboat group)but warning !!!!because it's a crash (2 driver lost life in this video!!!) and sorry for the music, because i dont now what music added(??) whit this horrible crash !!!!:( :(

tthibodaux
03-01-2007, 10:46 AM
i post a new video on dailymotion (raceboat group)but warning !!!!because it's a crash (2 driver lost life in this video!!!) and sorry for the music, because i dont now what music added(??) whit this horrible crash !!!!:( :(I'm not sure who was driving the blue boat that rolled onto the beach but I remember Ken's blowover in the Bahamas very well.:( Very sad day for the Thibodaux family and all of the racing community.

Miss BK
03-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Yes, very very sad - both of them.

During the clip of the blue boat running, there is a flash of an image of Peter Inward, so I'm pretty sure that's who is driving the blue boat.

On GOOGLE, I found this:

During a F.2 powerboat Grand Prix, a round of a UK National series, held at Fairford, Gloucester, UK, on Sunday, 03 July 1983, Peter Inward had his fatal accident while driving his Hodges boat. The Fairford boat course had a tight corner at the end of a long straight, passing through a narrow channel around an island, with a high mud bank where the spectators sit on top, on the right side. As Inward rounded the corner his Hodges boat tripped over another boat's wake and rolled landing on the muddy bank, going up into the spectators area. The unfortunate boat driver was killed upon impact.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw Tim Seebold do this same thing in St Louis. But he had one thing Peter didn't - a safety capsule, and he came out of it unscratched.

Thank God we have safety capsules today and don't have to endure these tragic events much anymore. Thank you, Chris Hodges.

BK~

corin_huke
03-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Yes, very very sad - both of them.

During the clip of the blue boat running, there is a flash of an image of Peter Inward, so I'm pretty sure that's who is driving the blue boat.

On GOOGLE, I found this:

During a F.2 powerboat Grand Prix, a round of a UK National series, held at Fairford, Gloucester, UK, on Sunday, 03 July 1983, Peter Inward had his fatal accident while driving his Hodges boat. The Fairford boat course had a tight corner at the end of a long straight, passing through a narrow channel around an island, with a high mud bank where the spectators sit on top, on the right side. As Inward rounded the corner his Hodges boat tripped over another boat's wake and rolled landing on the muddy bank, going up into the spectators area. The unfortunate boat driver was killed upon impact.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw Tim Seebold do this same thing in St Louis. But he had one thing Peter didn't - a safety capsule, and he came out of it unscratched.

Thank God we have safety capsules today and don't have to endure these tragic events much anymore. Thank you, Chris Hodges.

BK~

Having watched the video, I was about to say the same that it was the accident that sadly killed Peter Inward at Fairford in the UK. I know the circuit first hand and sadly it has a history of bad accidents - my best friend's kid brother was killed in an OSY accident there back in the 90s

Sad days indeed

tthibodaux
03-01-2007, 11:49 AM
At the begining of the video, the green Laing Homes boat about to blow over was my dad at Bristol almost winning the race. The boat blew over near the end and almost killed him. Bristol was a very dangerous place to race. This is dad in the boat I'm talkin about. It belonged to Steve Kurton.

jackus173
03-01-2007, 04:22 PM
i cut the image of peter ,because with interwiew of peter the video it's verry long,and my net connection it's verry low(and for post video on dailymotion,if the time for post its too long,the link for post its broken!:mad: !!) so i want say sorry for you and your friend tim!!!:( :( :(
sorry...

tthibodaux
03-01-2007, 04:37 PM
i cut the image of peter ,because with interwiew of peter the video it's verry long,and my net connection it's verry low(and for post video on dailymotion,if the time for post its too long,the link for post its broken!:mad: !!) so i want say sorry for you and your friend tim!!!:( :( :(
sorry...He was all of our friend. Ken was an awesome driver and person. It's a good thing sometimes to remember old friends.;)

Skoontz
03-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Is this the same Laing?

New Home Community of Three Neighborhoods and Cabana Club
John Laing Homes is happy to introduce St. Cloud – A New Home Community of three neighborhoods and Cabana Club in the charming beach town of Oceanside. St. Cloud will open its Information Center on March 17, 2007 to members of its Interest Registry. Join The Registry Today, and be among the first to meet with Home Counselors, schedule private site tours, review floorplans as well as other important information to help better understand St. Cloud.

St. Cloud – A Community of Endless Possibilities
At St. Cloud in Oceanside, the beach is not only easily accessible, it is a daily inspiration for everyone who lives here. Named after one of Oceanside’s elegantly relaxed, original hotels, St. Cloud offers smartly designed townhomes in three distinct neighborhoods, plus your very own Cabana Club – with gym, community room and pool. And with employment parks located just a short distance from the residences at St. Cloud, a short drive to or from work gets you back to the things most important in your life. In a sense, the entire community feels like a beach club reserved just for you and the others who live at St. Cloud. When you discover it, you’ll rediscover that special place that has long been inside of you.

We hope to see you and your family and friends at the Information Center Opening. If you have any questions we can answer before that time, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 760-757-7071

IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICES / PRIVACY POLICY.

John Laing Homes :: 1917 Palomar Oaks Way, Suite 200 :: Carlsbad CA 92008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You have received this advertising message as part of your SignOnSanDiego.com newsletter membership. Member Promotions communicates special offers, coupons, promotions and information from our advertisers. If you do not wish to receive further messages from SignOnSanDiego.com, on behalf of John Laing Homes, please click here. If you do not wish to receive any Member Promotions messages please unsubscribe from Member Promotions by clicking here. Or email Newsletters@SignOnSanDiego.com.
SignOnSanDiego.com, 350 Camino De La Reina, San Diego, CA, 92108

Ron Hill
03-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Because Formula One is still racing, in Europe as Formula One, and V-8 are part of HISTORY, now...I'sd call the V-8's OZ just to not confuse the world...

I only watched the video once but wow!!! I will watch it again....

tthibodaux
03-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Skoontz, I don't know. I'll ask dad and see. I do know that dad ran that sponsor at several races but they were all across the pond.

jackus173
03-03-2007, 05:53 PM
6 hours of paris under heifel tower!!:D :cool:

Mark Poole
03-05-2007, 09:34 PM
That was the first time I had seen a slow motion replay of Kens crash. If you look closely his boat hits a "hole" in the water and then bounces up. That is why his boat blew over so violently. Was a sad day for boat race fans.

tthibodaux
03-08-2007, 01:29 PM
More Jack... I know you have more.:D

jackus173
03-10-2007, 06:24 PM
ok ok !!!!!wait a litle please ,;)

tthibodaux
03-11-2007, 06:42 AM
ok ok !!!!!wait a litle please ,;)No problem.;)

Freddie Webb
11-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Please post more v8 stuff. That video is incredible and inspiring.

Lars Strom
06-10-2008, 05:30 AM
F1 V8 Burgess-Evinrude

Lars Strom
06-10-2008, 05:33 AM
My Racing truck

Lars Strom
06-10-2008, 06:14 AM
Boat # 8 Burgess - Evinrude

Edit,

Black boat # 6 is Rick Frost, England
Burgess/Johnson

Lars Strom
06-10-2008, 06:17 AM
Burgess Evinrude

Lars Strom
06-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Boat # 8 Lars Strom, Sweden
Burgess/Aspen/Evinrude

Boat # 11, is Kicco Vidoli, Italy.
Team Molinari/Martini/Evinrude

tthibodaux
06-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Burgess - EvinrudeCool picture! That was Rick Frost?? I mean the boat you were passing?

Lars Strom
06-11-2008, 05:35 AM
Cool picture! That was Rick Frost?? I mean the boat you were passing?

Thank you, I have a few more.

Yes, it´s Rick Frost.

Lars Strom
06-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Boat # 8 Lars Strom, Sweden
Aspen/Burgess/Evinrude

Boat # 15 Allan Nimmo, England
Castrol/Molinari/Johnson

Miss BK
06-12-2008, 06:51 AM
Just wanted to say........
I have always loved to say the name "Lasse Strom". I always pronounced it "LAW SAY", not Lassie. So was I always saying it wrong?

I'm sure I got that pronunciation from some boat racing TV program somewhere...

At any rate...you'll always be "LAHSAY STROM" to me. :)

Master Oil Racing Team
06-12-2008, 06:37 PM
I know where you're coming from Val. I first met Leif Ahlborg in 1973. We all called him "Leaf" as in the viking movies and such "Lief (leaf) the Red". When I was at Dieter Konig's plant one day and Leif came in Dieter addressed his as "Life". I never asked Leif the correct pronunciation.

Konig with the oomlough in German sounds like "coer-nish" rather than "kay-nig".

Lars Strom
06-13-2008, 05:57 AM
Val, Thanks for your nice comments about my name,

and Wayne I have a message from Leif Ahlborg.

This is not my tread so I will post it under mine,
Super Swede Lars Strom

Lars Strom
06-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Again, the # 8 boat is me,
and the red one # 4 is an Italian Driver with a Molinari boat.

I do not remeber his name, but I think he worked for the Army in Italy.
Not really sure.

The year is 1983

Edit.

The driver of the # 4 boat is Saverio Roberto. Italy

Lars Strom
06-14-2008, 11:40 AM
London Victoria Docks 1985

Boat #8 Lars Ström, Sweden
Burgess Evinrude

Boat #17 Arno Hakkinen, Finland

Velden Johnson

Bill Van Steenwyk
06-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Lars:

Would there be any connection (family relationship) between this driver Hakkinen, and the F-l automobile driver who won the world championship several years ago for McClaren?.

Lars Strom
06-15-2008, 07:17 AM
Lars:

Would there be any connection (family relationship) between this driver Hakkinen, and the F-l automobile driver who won the world championship several years ago for McClaren?.

Bill,

Years ago I was told there is a connection but that info is maybe wrong.

I have a correct answer in a few days.

Lars Strom
06-15-2008, 12:47 PM
There is two more new race stories at the thread "super Swede Lars Strom" now.

Lars Strom
06-15-2008, 08:11 PM
I am pretty sure this boat is somewhere here on BRF, but I cannot find it.

This is one bad boat.

2 X 3 Litre Evinrude V6 Racing "Loopers" and was extremely fast.

Driver and owner Renato Molinari
Como, Italy

From 1980

Lars Strom
06-16-2008, 06:41 AM
Lars:

Hi again Bill,

Yes, my info was right.

Mika Hakkinen the Formula 1 Car World Champ is the son of Arno Hakkinens brother.

Arno is driving boat # 17

Lars Strom
06-17-2008, 05:26 PM
This is an other Swede.

Bertil Wik a friend of mine and a very good driver.
Photo from 1985

Lars Strom
06-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Race start 1984

Lars Strom
06-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Evinrude F1 V8 1985 Model year

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
06-23-2008, 10:25 AM
That IS ome OMC! :)

Lars Strom
06-24-2008, 06:19 PM
James Beard
Cardiff, Great Britain 1975
ON World Champion ship race.

Cees VD Velden won,

remember as it was yesterday, I was there racing SE

mintominto
06-25-2008, 03:41 AM
Coincidentally,

I recently found and dusted off my old copy of the Cardiff programme in order to search for info that someone requested.

Lars Strom
06-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Coincidentally,

I recently found and dusted off my old copy of the Cardiff programme in order to search for info that someone requested.

Hi again,

Please, open that Cardiff programme if possible and scan the entry list
for the SE/OE class.

I do not remember if Lars and Bo was in the programme, (late entry)
but my next story is about the Cardiff race and Amsterdam 3 hours 1975.

Please, put it on my thread instead of this one.

Thank you

Lars Strom
06-29-2008, 05:41 PM
This is from Leon, Spain 1982.

Boat # 10 Tom Percival
Boat # 11 Bob Spalding
Boat # 12 Francios Salabert

Master Oil Racing Team
06-29-2008, 07:58 PM
What an awesome pic. I was just saw an ad of the John Player boats in P&W a few days ago when I was looking up 1980 race info Lars. I'll try to find it again........too much stuff.:( At least Debbie doesn't bug me about it:cool:

Lars Strom
06-29-2008, 08:04 PM
From Nottingham, England

Master Oil Racing Team
06-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Very good PR Lars. It was noteworthy that John Player was big into cars AND boats. You guys across the pond had some good sponsers like Carsberg, Endlands Glory and Gordon's Gin.

mintominto
06-30-2008, 02:07 AM
Remember some great ads from those big sponsors back in the day.

Here's one from Carlsberg, will have to put some others to the scanner.

Lake X Kid
01-05-2013, 12:24 PM

Lake X Kid
01-05-2013, 12:31 PM

RpR
08-30-2017, 11:37 AM
What was the last year the V-8 F-1 boats ran in the U.S.?
Pictures of those boats on-line are darn close to zero. I saw them run at the Aquatennial in Minneapolis several time and miss them greatly.

What are the engine rules in the series now running?
I am in Minn. -- Land of Ten Thousand Lakes -- but a desert for boat racing (ditto for snowmobile racing but they build them here).
I was planning on finally getting to the big race in Kankakee Ill. but now it is gone too.

crewman060
08-30-2017, 04:16 PM
the book of facesuk is where a lot has gone this year Lars Strom has lots of v8 omc on his page,yes kancakee is gone,and hurricane harvey wallbanger has done away with opc championships in Shreveport La this year.