PDA

View Full Version : Video clip - World 0-350, Milan, Italy 1988

corin_huke
02-27-2007, 03:08 PM
The first part of this video clip is from the 0-350 Worlds in 1988 (Idroscalo in Milan)

http://www.dailymotion.com/jackus173/video/x146z6_f500-hydro-and-crash-boat

Not the best quality but still very watchable

Now, how many Americans can you spot? - there are at least 3 in the video and possibly more

Here's a snippet of info about the race:-

1st 19 Maurizio Jemmi (Italy)
2nd 10 Alexej Ischutin (USSR)
3rd 50 Chengtao Zheng (China)

29 Entries!!

And a snippet of history too. Although used for racing and rowing these days, I was once told that the Idroscalo was built by Benito Mussolini to land his flying boats upon. Not sure if this is true, but it sounds very feasable as it's a) very long, b) not very wide, and c) very close to Milan

Thanks David 98 for the link on Formulaseries.net site

tthibodaux
02-27-2007, 06:15 PM
First of all thanks for the video:cool: Are there hydro races like that with all those boats on such a big coarse still going on these days or is that a thing of the past? The most I have ever seen run at once is 12. Looks like fun.:D

David Weaver
02-27-2007, 06:28 PM
I spot Gary Pugh and maybe Mark Borges in Harry's boat.

jackus173
02-28-2007, 07:52 AM
i think is a 500cc hydro !!!! i find this part of video on a duke videotape!!!,krash king powerboat,at this years the hull in 350cc is a popoli?,and in 500cc,the hull is a kergaterer,yamato,renwood,schullz,with havas attila chesman andy,giuliano landini,noone paul hareza tadeusz,trombeta tiziano etc...etc.........but may be not !!!! i dont no !!!:confused: :confused:

corin_huke
02-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Sorry to disappoint you jackus173 - it's definitely 0-350 and is 1988. The 0-500 Worlds were held at the same venue in 1989, so that's probably where the confusion arose. I have to confess that I thought it was 0-500, but then someone pointed out my error

I'm sure Eric Pugh and Ralph Donald will post some comments (damm, let the cat out of the bag) to confirm the year and class

Tim - to answer your question. We still run hydros on big courses like this. It's not so common place, we mostly use river and lake courses, but even last year we used a regatta rowing course in Germany. You'll find the video here:

http://www.motorbootrennen-dessau.de/Bilder/bilder.html

First one on the list - Motorbootrennen Brandenburg

Fields of 20 - 30 boats are not unheard of in Europe, especially in one off World championship events. Looking at the UIM site the numbers in 2006 for the Worlds were:-

0-125 = 20 boats
0-250 = 24 boats
0-350 = 11 boats
0-500 (see F500 below)
0-700 = 10 boats
OSY = 20 boats

As for the multi race (European) series:-

Formula 125 = 14 boats
Formula 250 = 16 boats
Formula 350 = 15 boats
Formula 500 = 12 boats (World Series)

The halcyon days of the 80s and 90s have gone, but the classes are establishing themselves again, especially the lower cc classes

PS - I can remember the 1989 0-500 Worlds.....44 boats!! How about 1993 in Lakeland, there was plenty of boats there too!

tthibodaux
02-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Thanks Corin, thats cool stuff. Did you say Lakeland? I used to go to Lakekand as a teenager and watch stock outboard with my dad but never a pro race. Thats good stuff man thanks..:D

David Mason
02-28-2007, 10:33 AM
To get the videos posted here instead of a link ? I know my filters at work won't allow me to visit youtube or some of the sites listed. I have dial up at home, so no way can I try a video there.

corin_huke
02-28-2007, 10:51 AM
To get the videos posted here instead of a link ? I know my filters at work won't allow me to visit youtube or some of the sites listed. I have dial up at home, so no way can I try a video there.

David - it is possibe to download the vids from the German site, but even the lower quality ones are 4 to 5Mb. Don't know how Ron or Ted would feel about hosting files of this size as they take up a lot of space and naturally space = $$$s

Mark75H
02-28-2007, 04:31 PM

Dave, I'd rather put them on a disk and mail it to you. Reposting them on BRF would involve copyright issues.

epugh66
02-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Great link Doris!
A while back, I posted some results from that event.

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3746

Herr Ralph was with his boat(red nosed Danisch) crew was Steve Litzel. Next in line was Gary and crew of me. Next to us was Guiliano Landini, I guess that explains why Guisseppe was over talking to us.

The start was great. Iemmi was first off, but Ischutin pulled to the first turn. Look at Bernitsin in the wing boat get away quick, next to him is Oliver Franke in the white tunnel.

Nope-never, tunnel boats will never work in the smaller classes:) Hey, here's an idea, why dont we restrict the engines to deflectors, open pipes on gas???

I believe that was Mark "Boat Buster" Borges in the #15 Popoli. They brought that back to the states with limited success.

I love how all the squirrels in the back start hunting around for nuts even before half way down the strait.

John Stevens was at that race too. After winning in Berlin the weekend before, besting Loth, Volenter and many more, with a beat up Krage Danisch, he borrowed a Popoli from......girl racer from Milan, traveled with her dad, won 125cc WC in 98 or 99?? They never got the set up right and John was off the pace.

corin_huke
03-01-2007, 12:54 AM
You are welcome Eric - I knew you would be able to fill in some more detail!!!

Great link Doris!
I believe that was Mark "Boat Buster" Borges in the #15 Popoli. They brought that back to the states with limited success.

I surpises me that Mark Borges and the Popoli boat had limited success in the US. In their day, Popoli was THE boat to have. You'll recall that when the Italians raced in the States in the 250 and 350 Worlds they mostly had Popoli boats, plus the odd Mostes. Is the boat still about, or has it long since ben resigned to the fire - it would be 20 years old!

John Stevens was at that race too. After winning in Berlin the weekend before, besting Loth, Volenter and many more, with a beat up Krage Danisch, he borrowed a Popoli from......girl racer from Milan, traveled with her dad, won 125cc WC in 98 or 99?? They never got the set up right and John was off the pace.

"he borrowed a Popoli from.....a girl from Milan, travelled with her dad"- could that have been Nicoletta Mora and her father, Nico? Nicoletta did win the 125 Worlds a few years back

jackus173
03-01-2007, 04:34 AM
ok thanks corin for the info !!!! and for the link whit a video !!!!;) ,soon as possible i post somme photo of 500cc,after i scan this photo!!!!:D

David Weaver
03-01-2007, 05:40 AM
Harry B. had a couple Popoli's. I do not remember them being front runners here. Probably had to do with the race course set-ups here. I remember racing against Harry's 350 and it ran midldle of the pack. I recall also that the 700 was quick, but got killed by the US built boats on a long course like DePue (especially on the long back straight). I imagine on a tight course, those bots would have been very hard to drive around (on the outside).

corin_huke
03-01-2007, 05:59 AM
Harry B. had a couple Popoli's. I do not remember them being front runners here. Probably had to do with the race course set-ups here. I remember racing against Harry's 350 and it ran midldle of the pack. I recall also that the 700 was quick, but got killed by the US built boats on a long course like DePue (especially on the long back straight). I imagine on a tight course, those bots would have been very hard to drive around (on the outside).

Thanks David - the expression "Horses for courses" springs to mind

Wouldn't mind seeing any pics of the Popoli boats racing in the US

Not disrepecting Harry B nor Mark Borges, but the Italians really did know how to get the most out of their design of boats (they still do!! :mad: ).

You cannot really see it on the video, but the way they cornered was poetry in motion. About 75 yards before the turn, they would give the steering wheel a quick flick and that would start the back end breaking free. As they approached the turn, the boat would almost be going sideways. At one point in the turn, the nose of the boat looked to be almost static and the rest of boat just pivoting around it, until they straighten up and blasted off down the straight. The nearest thing I can liken it to is this new car craze of drifting

Eric - my description of watching the Italians and Popoli boats turn is rubbish - you tell em how it was!! :rolleyes:

Master Oil Racing Team
03-01-2007, 07:49 AM
Interesting stuff guys. Hey Corin, since you were in Lakeland in 93, check out Random Shots from the Pits in a few days. I'll post some and you can I.D. them. Maybe even a pic of yourself.

corin_huke
03-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Interesting stuff guys. Hey Corin, since you were in Lakeland in 93, check out Random Shots from the Pits in a few days. I'll post some and you can I.D. them. Maybe even a pic of yourself.

Thanks Wayne

The guy I crewed for, Paul Noone (#68), raced Ron Shurilla's boat - we brought our 5 port Konig over from the UK. With hindsight (and more money!) we should have shipped over our Russian trimaran boat, as in the hands on Tiziano Trombetta (#53), the trimaran design of boat ran petty well - I think Tiziano was 3rd or 4th if my memory serves me better. Oh well, you live and you learn! :rolleyes:

More than happy to ID photos for you. And yes you may have one of me. I'm not very photogenic, so if there's a weird looking Limey on one of the, there's a chance it could be me!!! :D

jackus173
03-01-2007, 11:39 AM
:D hello corin!!!
i dont now for a cresent engine search the site of hervé fressard!!!and ask !!
because me i dont no?? this photo is for you !!!!;)

jackus173
03-01-2007, 01:55 PM
you want:D photo ok !!!! see this !!!:D :p

epugh66
03-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Jackus,

Do you have a connection to Pierre Desertenne? He was a gentelman, so is his son Phillipe.

Corin, Horses for courses is correct. We never ran the tight turns and with out the jetty start, we never slowed down. Every WC ran in the US after Dayton '82 was a bastardized race course so the euro boats were never at the disadvantage we were going to europe.

Your discription of a Popoli turn is about right, it just doesn't work on a 75 foot radius turn. In comparison, an american boat turns on rails.

The year before this video, '87, Landini came to run our 350cc national championships. I believe he had won the 350cc WC that year and was pretty confidant. The end results was he was mid pack, he lost too much time in the corners.

epugh66
03-01-2007, 09:18 PM
And it was Nicoletta that he borrowed the boat from...I think I owe her some money still?

That weekend was great. Hans backing the Krage truck into someones bus, knocking the open rear hatch off, Hans yelling at John that he should'nt have let it happen. John, Gary and I drinking Methanol(or something that tasted like it) in the early a.m. with Lazlo in the Volenter motorhome. Racing two stroke Go-Karts at the fair grounds across the street with lots of crazed italians. Good times!

Master Oil Racing Team
03-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Eric,you remind me of a ride in the back of Hans' Porsche down the Ku'damm in Berlin. It was the year before Debbie and I got married so I was by myself and sitting in the small backseat. It was fun and scary at the same time. We had been out on the town and heading somewhere in the early a.m. Han's girlfriend wanted to drive so you know how Hans would have his big grin and shrug his shoulders. He looked and me and said something like "Zoh! ...Vee let her drive now......yes?" :D He laughed and switched places with her.

We didn't go too far, but we got there quick. It was all in a straight line and I don't recall if we went through any red lights or not. She just wanted to punch the Porsche and see how fast she could go. I can remember bottoming out in the intersections and his girlfriend squealing in delight, but I also remember when she shut it down and we were able to get away without being arrested. Hans laughed and grinned the whole time.

epugh66
03-02-2007, 07:08 AM
I have a 1970 2.2L 911 E in the garage so I know the back seat of a 911 is not a big space. With three kids, it doesn't get moved too often these days, VW buses rule!

I used to occaisionally go for a short ride with the air cleaners off just so I could hear the wail of six 40mm intakes...hmmmm...my vintage Yamato 250cc has twin 40mm carbs???

Hans was always a hoot. I miss him.

epugh66
03-02-2007, 07:12 AM
I would just like to add that these boat comparisons are 20 years ago, thats a long time and I'm sure things have changed. I think Oliver Lucas and Marian Jung showed that at Depue when they ran OSY 400. I thought they made up lots of time in the corners. Of course, stock boats aren't the same as PRO boats either.

Dieter always said apples to oranges.

Jeff Akers
03-03-2007, 12:43 PM
I surprises me that Mark Borges and the Popoli boat had limited success in the US. In their day, Popoli was THE boat to have. You'll recall that when the Italians raced in the States in the 250 and 350 Worlds they mostly had Popoli boats, plus the odd Mostes. Is the boat still about, or has it long since ben resigned to the fire - it would be 20 years old!

Here's a photo of one of the boats Harry brought to the states,This was taken at Bakersfield 1988 ?...Not sure if the driver in the picture is Mark or Harry's son Lee..

In 1989 My brother Will, was driving for Harry...They were at the Kilo's in Oriville, California testing the day before the event when my brother sufferd a very bad blow over in the 500/700 Popoli...Acording to my brother , they had done two runs Well over the existing record and Harry wanted to to make one more small adjustment for the last run..In those days they ran a pnematic "retractable" turn fin....As my brother said, the last thing he did was pull the fin up and ...........Away she went:eek: .........the boat was I belive destroid and my brother sufferd some very bad injurys.....He was supose to leave for Italy with Harry the week after the kilo's to do some racing... He never raced again:(

I had herd that the 350 boat was perchaced by one of the west coast mod guy's ..and it did some time with a D mod Merc on it.....but have no idea where it is now:confused:

jackus173
03-03-2007, 04:46 PM
a litle thanks to paul noone and john hill for make autograph for me !!!in chalon sur soane in 1992 (uim f1 world championchips and f500 european chapionchips !!):D :D :D

jackus173
03-03-2007, 04:54 PM
john hill autograph it's below !!:p :o :p

jackus173
03-03-2007, 05:44 PM
the vella i motore new!!:D

epugh66
03-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Jeff,
Sorry to hear about your brother. A european cabover was probably not the best idea for a kilo run, too much lift.

Jackus,
You have some nice stuff. There are some pics of Harry B's Popoli with the moving turn fin. He powered it with a can of propane gas. We saw it in '84 at the 350cc WC in Nottingham. Barely got past scrutineering. The fin set up was on two Pugh's at that time. I never believed in the idea, sure a fin is drag, but you still need some left/right control.

Best pics of all are of the red boat at the end. That is the English built Pugh. We sent plans to Arthur Langman to build a boat for Martyn Smith to run in O-500.

Martyn did not have his international racing license in time for the '88 O-500 WC in Stewartby England. Yamato lent us a new 500cc engine to take over. We were pretty quick, but a Champion spark plug failed, siezed a piston in the first heat. We rebuilt the engine before the third but kinda think the crank was twisted as a result of the sieze.

Jeff Akers
03-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Cool photo's Jackus:cool:

Eric, here's a nother moveable fin boat you might recognize.;)

jackus173
03-04-2007, 03:40 PM
thank's for the info jeff!!!! and for the photo !!!:D

corin_huke
03-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Guys

the photo that Jackus posted of the Popoli with the Yamato engine on the back I am 99.9% sure was taken at the 1989 0-500 Worlds in Milan. But can you remember who ran it - was it Harry B, Lee B or Mark Borges?

It was the first time I'd seen a Yamato 500 engine and I can remember thinking, what the %&*$ is that!!?? :eek:

Interesting looking back nearly 18 years ago and seeing similarities between this Yamato engine and the engines of today from Rossi, VRP, etc. Makes you wonder if the Japanese were onto something even back then.....

corin_huke
03-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Moveable Finns yes even a complete moron knows they are fast :D

But Thomas, some Finns are faster than others........especially when you tell them that it is their time to buy the beer!!! :eek: :D

Ha det sĺ bra! :p

epugh66
03-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Interesting looking back nearly 18 years ago and seeing similarities between this Yamato engine and the engines of today from Rossi, VRP, etc. Makes you wonder if the Japanese were onto something even back then.....

Corin,

Several years before that, Yamato has another experimental engine. It was an opposed four that had seperate blocks from the crankcase, kinda like two OSY blocks on a common crankcase.

It didn't go very fast and weighed alot. Their "test" driver had no fear. He kept loosening the boat up till he blew over in testing. That was Yutaka Sugihara, who at last count was running F1. I think Sugihara daughter runs F2 now also.