PDA

View Full Version : O.F. Christner Memorial

Tim Chance
03-01-2007, 02:34 PM
I attended a Memorial Race for O.F. Christner on July 4, 2003. For that race I did a special tribute to Chris by reprinting an article from a 1970 issue of my old magazine, Hydroplane Quarterly. I also wrote the following editorial.
I want to start by thanking Gene East for asking me to come to this Memorial and Reunion. I have reprinted 5th & State from HQ - 1970. The cover is a collage of the race drivers touched by O.F. Christner. I could write pages, but I will tell three things. First, I was a teenager in awe during the late 1950's the first time I saw O.F. Christner, I was a kid with a KG-7; he was ... O.F. Christner. Next, the mid 1960's in the dyno room, my "B Loop" was down on power. Chris pulled the head off, whittled with his pocket knife, power was back and rpm's were up. Last, the honor when he asked me to drive the prototype "B" at Alexandria.
Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, Thomas Edison and Henry Ford were all before my time. They say they were each a genius. I was a friend of O.F. Christner. He was a genius.

David Mason
03-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Tim,

Nice work. I am mid thirties, and still think of him as you did when you were a kid.

Gene East
03-04-2007, 03:29 AM
The memorial race for Chris in Quincy was a great experience. We had more old timers there than we had active racers.
I believe that will be the case for the reunion in DePue in July.
In the unlikely event that anyone reading this thread isn't aware of the reunion, click onto DePue reunion 2007 and check it out.
We're going to have a great time. Hope to see everyone there.
How about it Paul? Will the Christner brothers be there? The event will not be complete without you, John and David. Don't forget, bring Bob LaLande along too.

dancrabt
04-09-2007, 08:11 AM
You are so right Tim,O.F was a genius.As a boy I got the oppertunity living here in Quincy to spend many a day at the shop at 5th and State.I can't describe how it was being around O.F just that it was awesome.Getting to go to the dyno room and help setup and even getting to pull the rope on several alkys.O.F will live on in our hearts and minds forever and I thank all of you for your support on telling the world about such a great man whom has touched so many.

Dan Crabtree,Quincy,Illinois

Tim Chance
04-25-2007, 07:05 AM
Several years ago I blew over in Alexandria in a 350ccR. Being dumb I would not stay in the hospital there and I went home and immediately was put in intensive care with a broken back (3 places) and internal injuries. After a few days I was put into a semi-private room along with an elderly gentleman. We got to talking and he told me how, as a young man, he and a friend hitchhiked to Saint Louis from their small hometown to try and find work. He found a job and stayed, his friend didn't and O.F. Christner went back home to Quincy.

What strange twists of fate there are in this world. Had Chris found work in Saint Louis I probably would not have been talking to Paul Christner on the phone the other day about how he (Paul) is going to be the guy that cranks my 250 engine at the Pro Nationals in Depue in a couple of months.

Don Muncie
04-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Hey Tim

Funny thing how stuff like this works out. Things are looking much better for me to make DePue! I'm looking forward to meeting you, Gene East, Paul Cristner and the guys from B.D.O.B.R. Otta be a barn burnin good time!

racnbns
04-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Several years ago I blew over in Alexandria in a 350ccR. Being dumb I would not stay in the hospital there and I went home and immediately was put in intensive care with a broken back (3 places) and internal injuries. After a few days I was put into a semi-private room along with an elderly gentleman. We got to talking and he told me how, as a young man, he and a friend hitchhiked to Saint Louis from their small hometown to try and find work. He found a job and stayed, his friend didn't and O.F. Christner went back home to Quincy.

What strange twists of fate there are in this world. Had Chris found work in Saint Louis I probably would not have been talking to Paul Christner on the phone the other day about how he (Paul) is going to be the guy that cranks my 250 engine at the Pro Nationals in Depue in a couple of months.
Tim--
Whats this 250 business? I thought you were thinking bigger, although today bigger isn't always faster. Welcome to the toughest, most competitive and on some courses the fastest class on the water. For you it's more like welcome back!

Just in case we don't get started cause we loaded the engine there's somebody watching with an electric starter in hand. Those new electric starters are the best thing to happen to boat racing since electronic ignition.

See ya in the first turn,
Bruce
V-81

David Mason
04-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Tim--
Whats this 250 business? I thought you were thinking bigger, although today bigger isn't always faster. Welcome to the toughest, most competitive and on some courses the fastest class on the water. For you it's more like welcome back!

Just in case we don't get started cause we loaded the engine there's somebody watching with an electric starter in hand. Those new electric starters are the best thing to happen to boat racing since electronic ignition.

See ya in the first turn,
Bruce
V-81

Bruce,

I will rope for ya, if you rope the 350 !!! I might have to look into this ele starter thing-a-ma-bob. Bryan Tharp rigged one up for the mod stuff, worked sweet for the 44 Mercs.

Dave_E71
04-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Heck, I bought the electric starter for the 125. The 250s and 350s start fairly easy (except for the one that bit dad and I at lake Wales :mad: )

racnbns
04-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Bruce,

I will rope for ya, if you rope the 350 !!! I might have to look into this ele starter thing-a-ma-bob. Bryan Tharp rigged one up for the mod stuff, worked sweet for the 44 Mercs.

Dave--
It's a deal! My rope may look funny and have a battery on it. As The other Dave said the electric starter is the answer.

Will we see you at Constantine ? If your there I'll have some of those BLUE BULLETS in the cooler.

Bruce
V-81

David Mason
04-30-2007, 10:05 AM
To make the rest of the USTS season this year, including Constantine... only a 45 minute drive for me, so I have no excuse !!

Blue Bullets are always the fastest......... :D :D :D

Tryng to talk dad into a 125.. without much luck. He wants to come sit up on the hill and Bull SH** with the good old boys. Ed T mentioned dad needs to take their 125 out, so I am hoping that will hook him again into the Alkies.

Can't wait to see everyone again, been far to long since we all had a beer.

Dave_E71
04-30-2007, 10:34 AM
is to get a 125 rig and have your dad be your driver, we're having a good time doing it this way AND as an added bonus, you get to yell at him for a change :D
Come to think of it, I've tricked Bruce into being my driver too (but I didn't yell at him, I'm too skeered of Shirley)

the other Dave

David Mason
05-01-2007, 08:36 AM
Other Dave,

I hope to in the future, just not in the cards right now to get another rig, I have all I can handle with the 350.

Not sure if the 125 is fast enough for him though. He likes the near 90 all the way around. Might have to think about a 250 for him.

Mark Crabtree
05-01-2007, 01:09 PM
If O.F. Christner would have stayed in St Louis, the building at 5th and State would have little meaning and boat racing, absolutely, would not be where it is today. O.F. Christner was my friend and I can tell you first hand, he dedicated his life to boat racing. Inside that shop at 5th and State, he lived racing. I thank Mr. O.F. Christner for sharing himself with us.

Mark Crabtree