PDA

View Full Version : "A" looper parts

crankbearing
03-10-2007, 05:40 AM
Hey All,

I got an "A" Looper a few years back and I am really sick of looking at in the box. So I need a Reed Cage and I think 1 stop. The pistons are there but could use a rod. I need igntion set ups for this engine there was none, I would like to run the Merc Distributor, anyone have a parts list for this setup or anything I could use for igntion. I will post some pics and you guys can tell me what I need. lol.

crankbearing
03-10-2007, 05:43 AM
here are some more.

crankbearing
03-10-2007, 05:47 AM
more pics.

crankbearing
03-10-2007, 05:58 AM
Hey Don,

I lost your e-mail address. I found two deflector Turner 2 ring pistons STD bore is what he is telling me, I saw the pistons they look nice. He would trade for some A/B LU parts.

What reed cages for that 3rd port Mark 50. Do I need to modify a stock set.

Regards,

Mark75H
03-10-2007, 06:44 AM
Don's address is: mrbill@ipns.com :)

Skoontz
03-10-2007, 07:16 AM
Question from a guy who knows nothing (just like Sargeant Schultz) Did the two hole Mercs run distributors? I thought those were all under the flywheel magplates....

smittythewelder
03-10-2007, 01:01 PM
If the rod isn't too bad you can get the big end re-ground at a good auto machine shop. Any used Merc rod I've seen (years ago) is out-of-round at the big end. The shop will lightly grind the flat mating surfaces of the rod and cap, then torque the cap in place and lightly grind the assembled big end. It doesn't come out quite perfect at the parting lines, but is better than before, and is ROUND. Maybe give the shop a no-good rod to try first.

I might have a rod, if you need one.

Gene East
03-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Dave,
I forwarded your email address to a friend who has a good supply of old Looper parts. Hopefully you'll have a response soon.
My friend wishes to remain nameless therefore I will post no I.D. info here.
Good luck restoring your Looper.

crankbearing
03-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Question from a guy who knows nothing (just like Sargeant Schultz) Did the two hole Mercs run distributors? I thought those were all under the flywheel magplates....

You are right the two hole Mercs did not run distributors, but I have seen a couple loopers with a 4 cylinder merc igntion and two holes filled on the cap running the big switchbox (motorola) This is where I got the idea, it still uses the machined plate under the rope plate.

crankbearing
03-10-2007, 05:24 PM
If the rod isn't too bad you can get the big end re-ground at a good auto machine shop. Any used Merc rod I've seen (years ago) is out-of-round at the big end. The shop will lightly grind the flat mating surfaces of the rod and cap, then torque the cap in place and lightly grind the assembled big end. It doesn't come out quite perfect at the parting lines, but is better than before, and is ROUND. Maybe give the shop a no-good rod to try first.

I might have a rod, if you need one.

Yes I do that all the time. I am afraid that these are too pitted to reground I will see.

Thanks,

crankbearing
03-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Dave,
I forwarded your email address to a friend who has a good supply of old Looper parts. Hopefully you'll have a response soon.
My friend wishes to remain nameless therefore I will post no I.D. info here.
Good luck restoring your Looper.

Thanks Gene,

I hope to hear from him.

Regards,