PDA

View Full Version : Sst 45

RAANA
03-11-2007, 12:50 AM
How often is there a connectingrod failure on theese engines?
Seems like pureBS to mee:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlNuBPVyiRk

Mark75H
03-11-2007, 05:19 AM
The crank is black and the cage is a mess. The center main looks a little dark and they don't show the pistons & bores. It doesn't really look like the rod was exactly the real problem, but the big end is toast. I'm wondering if they forgot oil and got lucky on the rest of the motor:rolleyes: Another possiblity is over torqueing the rod

Fast Fred
03-11-2007, 08:12 AM
they stuck it, and pulled the rod apart:eek: the head is lookin Dry,:eek:

Mark75H
03-11-2007, 08:41 AM
they stuck it, and pulled the rod apart:eek: the head is lookin Dry,:eek:Did they paint the rod and crank or did it discolor due to heat?:confused:

Fast Fred
03-11-2007, 09:25 AM
they forgot oil and got lucky
think you mite be right, looks too dry, all the rods got to do is hang on for the ride:cool:

Ron Hill
03-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Is the right word... My opinion is NO oil.....

The APBA rule on rod is that you MUST run the 45 SST rods at $250 each or some crazy price and fishing rods, with one little hole in them, aren't legal...

Fast Fred
03-11-2007, 03:56 PM
i like the 4 oil holes in my rods, :cool:

Fast Fred
03-12-2007, 04:12 AM
not seein any sign of the bigend seizin, not from them shots. from what i can see, classic stuck the bullit, pulled the rod apart, thats what it looks like from hear.:cool:

Ron Hill
03-12-2007, 02:41 PM
There would be many things I'd like to do to this engine, but we race it as a STOCK Motor....Kind of like a "CLASSIC" as this motor is now over 20 years old...

It would be nice to strat racing an E-Tec 60.....

So far, in the two years we have raced 45, in California, we'ver averaged about 20 boats per race. We race 60 laps on a weekend...I have yet to see a ROD failure....JR had some bearing trouble at the Nationals.....last year, 2006. But he is the only one I've heard about...

These motors were never designed to turn 7,000 to 7,500 for long periods of time...at least, I don't think they were designed for that... They were designed for FISHING.....It is us who try to race them...

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-13-2007, 06:51 AM
How often is there a connectingrod failure on theese engines?
Seems like pureBS to mee:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlNuBPVyiRk

It appears that someone either took a pleasure motor powerhead without changing the rods or used the pleasure motor rods. They had the oil holes in the end cap & will BREAK. The ones for the race version 44.9 c.i. were solid without the holes. Also, there are 2 different rod bolts. The early version were softer then the later version. You can tell the differnce by looking at the head of the bolt where the 12 point socket goes on. The softer ones had a small dimple in the head whereas the harder ones had a slightly larger dimple. All current rod bolts are the harder version.

Ron Hill
03-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Do you still have this motor (s)?

Looks like it still had the 11/16 props shaft. Have not seen a painted gearcase in over ten years...

I was thinking, after Bakersfield, a week agao, how good these engines actually ran. We had ten boats there, all but two that managed to wreck...ran over 60 laps in two days, and there was not one engine part failure.

In the last three years, I've seen two gearcase failure...One, was our BRAND NEW NEW, that I didn't put any oil in...and RJ did break gears at Minden, but he said they gearcase was four years old...

I saw a pinon shaft that broke when a prop pin sheared....but these gearcases hold up really well for the use they get in California....And Sea Way Marine has all the parts for these gearcases in stock....

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Why didnīt the guys at the factory tell me that in the first place:confused:
I was supposed to build a competitive boat for anyone to bolt
the stock engine on. Since this engine(s 3 powerheads) came directly from the factory
they should have updated it and not send junk over here, nevertheless who really cares anymore, we can build other boats.:p

There hasn't been a factory 45 powerhead for so many years that I can't remeber. Second Effort had them first, then OMC Performance goup & now Seaway Marine. If someone ordered a 50, 55 or 60 HP short block through the normal parts distribution they would have gotten the incorrect rods, but most likely the correct rod bolts.