PDA

View Full Version : v-8 on a Smith tunnel

Freddie Webb
03-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Here are a couple of pics of my drag tunnel built by my good friend Steve Smith. It had the oz formula 1 v-8 on it. Finances caused me to sell the boat but I still have the motor. People say speedmasters won't leave hard, they just haven't seen all there is to see.

Dave S.
04-15-2007, 09:52 AM
But ya couldn't get me near anything that insane.:eek: Which Speedmaster did you use ?

Freddie Webb
04-23-2007, 07:55 AM
I used the 18:20 and the 19:20 gear ratios.

afr
04-23-2007, 08:57 PM
wow now how did you keep that thing from prop walkin

Freddie Webb
04-27-2007, 05:10 AM
I wasn't doing much, just holding on for the ride. The boat was a lot of fun but very dangerous.

Instigator
04-28-2007, 12:25 AM
I wasn't doing much, just holding on for the ride. The boat was a lot of fun but very dangerous.

seen that monster run Freddie!

Haven't forgotten you either. Just no more 3.3 deals down here.
Hearing that some of the e-techs should be showing up through insurance claims.

jphii1
04-29-2007, 05:37 AM
E-Tec? You mean one of these?

Jeff Akers
04-29-2007, 10:51 AM
E-Tec "Block" Pic's......................................?

What's the deal?........Mind filling us in?:confused:

corey thibodaux
04-29-2007, 10:54 AM
That boat just looks pissed off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Instigator
04-29-2007, 01:13 PM
E-Tec "Block" Pic's......................................?

What's the deal?........Mind filling us in?:confused:

ground on OMC V-6 loopers.

Up until the E-Techs, they were all 3.0 or 3.3 liter blocks with all intake ports being fed through ports entering the bottom of the sleeves.

They are now what we call "behind the liner" blocks which means the intake charge enters ports cast into block behind the bottom of the liner/sleeve and no longer has to pass through piston ports.
Much more direct and efficient path for boost and intake charges to pass through.
The last Ficht motors had these blocks. I have one that I am modifying now.

When they went to the E-Tech front half the intake has a direct shot at the rod slots (as in Joes picture) compared to the previous ones which had the carbs mounted above and to the side of the rod slots.
The intake charge has to do all kind of bending around to get to the rod slot which then feeds the bottom of the sleeves.

Much better motors all the way around. Bigger ports, better configuration, better front half and direct injected.
Most of us have been running on carbs but I am converting mine over to fuel injection.

The only real limiting factor at this point seems to be the exhaust runners being too small/restrictive but doesn't seem to be a problem until you are at or beyond 320/330 HP's and 9K RPM.

I am targeting just below that wall for my project.

Sorry for the book but hope it answered your question??.
Gary

Jeff Akers
04-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Got It !....Just wasn't sure what EXACTLY you guys were saying...I have had one or two E-Tecs apart myself, and have had some "Visions" of my own :D

Sounds like a fun project, keep us posted :cool: