PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Wilson..

Pages : [1] 2

tthibodaux
03-27-2007, 07:22 PM
I met and had a email with this really cool guy yesterday by the name of Jackie Wilson. When I say met I mean online. Jackie popped up on another website I was reading on and had some awesome stories and racing input. I sent him an email because I wanted to know more about him and he almost instantly responded. We typed briefly about his racing days and I was amazed at the things he told me he had been involved in over the years.

Does anyone remember him and have any good history about him we can all enjoy? He seemed to be a tunnel boat racing encyclopedia..

Ron Hill
03-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Ask Jackie, if he drove the Cosworth powered Mercruiser, at the Parker Nine Hour, about 1979, with Brett May as a Co-Driver...

And If he did, I want to see some pictures and also I have have a coulple of stories about that boat....Seems Jackie and Brett drove that "Puppie"...

Jeff Lytle
03-28-2007, 04:16 AM
Ron has the right idea.

A simple question would also be: Are you from the UK? That'll confirm he is ine and the same.

I met Jackie in the late 70's when he came to this side of the pond to race one summer. A wild and CRAZY guy! Ask him if he remembers Joe Gimbrone!

tthibodaux
03-28-2007, 04:55 AM
Ask Jackie, if he drove the Cosworth powered Mercruiser, at the Parker Nine Hour, about 1979, with Brett May as a Co-Driver...

And If he did, I want to see some pictures and also I have have a coulple of stories about that boat....Seems Jackie and Brett drove that "Puppie"...I just invited him to this site about 5 minutes ago. I called him Mr. Wilson and he freaked out. I think he called me a DINGLBERRY.:D

Master Oil Racing Team
03-28-2007, 05:53 AM
I'm with Jeff on this. I'll find a mug shot later.

Kudos to you Tim for getting him here on BRF.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-28-2007, 06:21 AM
A couple more from Powerboat & Waterskiing.

Ron Hill
03-28-2007, 07:37 AM
I don't have time, right now, working to props like crazy, and tomorrow working on the web page problems...

But, Jimbo and I talked to Karon May, Brett's sister, Sunday...and we promised to get together and talk...

I'll tell about the time Brett fell off Lee Holden's trailer and Lee ran over him....

Only picture I ever saw of the Cosworth on the water...We'll get these pictures back to normal, maybe...tomorrow...

Master Oil Racing Team
03-28-2007, 08:14 AM
John, according to the accompanying article in January 1980 of Powerboat & Waterskiing, Jackie won but was disqualified because the Cosworth was not an American engine. Would this have happened to you had you gotten that ride, or was it just a Parker deal?

Master Oil Racing Team
03-28-2007, 08:47 AM
I was surprised too upon reading that John. I had always thought Parker was pretty open. It was kind of hard to read the small print so here is the enlarged section to throw out there for comment.

tthibodaux
03-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Tim you have me confused,, who did you offend on this thread ??

JohnJohn, I have not thought out everything I have posted from time to time. Several times people have been mad at jokes I've made or just comments they took the wrong way. Sam has had to talk to me more than once so I slowed down my post to stay out of trouble.

This to me is what it's all about anyway, learning about racers and racing. Not speaking my smart a-s opinion. Guess I thought it was cool to disagree with everyone about everything.

Thats not how to make friends.;)

Master Oil Racing Team
03-28-2007, 07:23 PM
I've never met nor talked to Jackie Wilson, but from what I've read he's a class act and you also have to factor in the media. I think there are quite a number of racers out there that have said things that were misunderstood or misrepresented by the media that they wished they could clarify. I don't take it this day and age that he meant that he was cheated out of the win because he was from overseas. And I truly regret bringing up the point. It was just a part of the story, and I, like John thought Parker was pretty open. So I was confused as to why spend all that money to come to America in the first place with a motor that was not American made if that was a requirment and also why was he not informed before racing, if so. I figured that everyone in the race would have stopped by to check the rig out before the first flagged dropped, if not to acquaint themselves.

I never met the editor of P&W ,Rosalind Nott, though I did have a few articles published there and she traveled to the U.S. and did some great articles on some OMC and Mercury teams. So in my opinion it was an article published for overseas consumption with no animosity toward any racers, officials, or anyone and came at the end of a glorious career. Whatever the misunderstanding was, I hope this ends it and I know the people here at BRF will welcome Jackie Wilson with open arms, and thanks again Tim for bringing him aboard. One thing I have been wondering about, and maybe knew at one time....is Mark Wilson his son?

Would like to hear from you Mike Ward. Saw a number of great P&W articles you wrote while looking up some stuff about Jackie today.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-28-2007, 07:58 PM
I didn't take it the wrong way John and I'm sure others didn't also. Tim brought up the point point of offending someone and I couldn't figure it out. So I posted my two cents worth. I think Tim took the qoute "un-american" in the context of today's political climate in a quote that took place 27 years ago. Remember, in England a "hood" is a "boot" or is that the trunk? I forget. :D A truck is a lorry so who knows what the context of that phrase was all about back then.

But you are right John. This is a part of not only boat racing history, but the history of Parker. Which it and Havasu are institutions in their own right.

Ron Hill
03-28-2007, 09:51 PM
As I RECALL, the Cosworth ran all day and was not disqualified at all. It placed about 7th. I called Karon May today and asked her to get a hold of Brett, as I told her on her voicemail...we wanted to "DISCUSS" the Cosworth and other items...

My brother was the President of Drake Engineering at this time and they were trying to build a V-8 Offy to compete with Keith Duckworth's Cosworth...

I was driving for Brad Miller, who owned Crazyhorse Campgrounds, The Del Taco Chain and a few other ventures, and I was trying to get Brad interested in buying a Drake V-8 to run in our Crazyhorse tunnel boat....

I'm going to say this was 1979, but recall, like yesterday, that Keith and my brother got along very well and both agreed that the BEST racing would really be with one engine and one car....but both agreed that no one would ever go there....Hmmm...Seems NASCAR is getting closer...

Anyway, at the 1970 Enduro, I talked Brad into having a party at his campgrounds and I invited everyone at the race...We had a seriouly wild party...Havasu wasn't the CITY it now is, and that is the night that Fred Hauenstein and I decided to see if Brad Miller's Turbo Charged Porsch would go 150....We found out it would, on the Havasu City run way....

I remember talking to Keith Duckworth, that night, he was quite disappointed that my brother wasn't there...

Bottom Line, the Cosworth didn't really have a lot of TORQUE and wasn't really a "BALL OF FIRE"...and Cosworth could see that they weren't going to be selling too many motors to BOAT RACERS.....

The thing I remember, was at pit stops, they pulled the damn boat out of the water, drained the oil, or at least checked the oil and fooled around like it was lunch break...15 minut pit stops knocks hell out you when the other guys are making 1 minute stops...

This was a Gary Garbrecht, Mercury Racing deal...and as I always accused Brett May, was this: I told Brett the only reason he was driving this MACHINE, was he had a damn good looking sister and Gary Garbrecht liked having her around.....Of course, Brett thought they liked his driving STYLE!!!! Not to MENTION, George May was Referee at all these races in those days....

Ok, Brett...come after me!!!! Tell me where I've gone wrong!!!!

ADD:

When Brett was only about 18, Gary sent Bert Serra's Schutz with a T2X on it to California for Brett.....Brett didn't have enough money for gas or entry fees... I tell Brett, "Get off your ***, go to you local dealer, tell him you've got this Factory Ride and you need $1,000 for the next race..." Well, Brett goes to Nautal-Stryus (Mercury dealer in San Diego)...and gets $1,000... Brett shows up at the first race with this SPONSOR's name on the side...

Brett says, "Hey, that was a good IDEA you had..." The dealer sponsored him for several years...

Gary sent Brett a new Molinari...and I happened to be talking to Gary (I was Mercury's High Performance's biggest propeller dealer, at that time)...and said I could sell the T2X of Brett's ...Gary said, anything over $2,000, keep it...I said the guy offered me $5,000.... Gary said, "WELL, sell it and send me 2..."

So, I sold it and sent him $2,000... Gary Garbrecht was always fair with me!!!

Master Oil Racing Team
03-29-2007, 06:26 AM
Hope you have better luck than I have Ron. The only thing I found of the 79 Parker was Ann Strang's region 7 column. She listed the first 6 places. The way I understood it was Jackie finished first in the inboard class. No mention of overall finish.

Since probably most U.S. racers did not subscribe to Powerboat & Waterskiing, I thought I would post this "cool" cover of the issue in which the article appeared as well as this ad.

P.S. Don't beat up on your self Tim. It was a good thing you did getting Jackie over here and he IS a cool guy.

Mark Poole
03-30-2007, 05:41 PM
Jackie was a bit before my time. I saw his son Mark race at River Race Augusta I think 1986. Whipped the champ boat field quite nicely as I recall.

Mark75H
03-31-2007, 07:55 AM
Jackie is an excellent story teller ... here's an example:

GARBRECHT WAS A COLLECTOR OF ALL THINGS EXPENSIVE FROM LUGERS AND SMITH AND WESSONS TO FINE CARS.PRIDE OF PLACE WENT TO A WHITE FULLY RESTORED LIKE NEW 1950'S 'VETTE, WHICH WAS KEPT IN HE GARAGE AND ONLY USED ON A SUNDAY WHEN IT WAS NOT RAINING. ONE SATURDAY MORNING ABOUT 3 AM, G.G. GOT A PHONE CALL FROM THE FON-DU-LAC POLICE H/Q. ---ER MR GARBRECHT ARE YOU THE OWNER OF A WHITE 'VETTE --REG NUMBER XYZ TTTTI ETC GG. SAYS YEAH!!WHY ------WELL SIR WE JUST ARRESTED THIS JOYRIDER WHEN HE RAN YOUR CAR INTO A DITCH, IT'S NOT TORE UP TOOOO BAD, AND IF YOU COULD COME AND COLLECT IT RIGHT NOW IT WOULD SAVE A WHOLE BUNCH OF PAPERWORK. GG HOT FOOTS IT DOWN TO FON-DU-LAC, STORMS INTO POLICE H/Q SPITTIN FEATHERS , WHERE THE HELLS MY CAR , WAIT TILL I GET MY HANDS ON THE SCRAWNY LITTLE S--T THAT STOLE IT. DUTY OFFICER LOOKS ACROSS THE COUNTER AND SAYS "WHAT THE HELL YOU TALKING ABOUT"? GG HIGHTAILS IT BACK HOME ,LOOKS IN THE GARAGE AND SURE ENOUGH THE VETTE IS STILL THERE UNDER THE DUST SHEETS--------HE STOPS THINKS A MINUTE AND GOES TO THE TELEPHONE IT;S NOW 4AM. DIALS AND YELLS INTO THE PHONE PRUETT --------YOU SUMBITCH [NOT QUITE SURE ABOUT THE SECOND WORDS HE USED SOUNDED LIKE MOTHER TRUCKER MAYBE A DISTANT RELATION TO SISTER THERESA] I'LL GET YOU FOR THIS!!!!!!!! PRUETT WAS SAT ON MY BED ROLLED UP WITH LAUGHTER, TEARS STREAMING DOWN HIS FACE. HE SAID "TROUBLE WITH GARBRECHT , HE HAS NO SENSE OF HUMOUR" LATER THAT DAY ,GERRY GILBRAITH, PRUETT AND ME WENT TO SEE "THE MOUSE" DISNEYWORLD HAD ONLY JUST OPENED AN WE ENJOYED ALONG DAY THERE, DROVE BACK TO PRUETTS HOUSE AND IN THE DRIVEWAY WAS A MOUNTAIN OF SAND AND GRAVEL, ABOUT 20 TONS OF IT THE HOUSE PHONE WAS RINGING AS PRUITT LOOKED AT GERRY AND ME AND WHISPERED ----------THE BA*#^RD

Ron Hill
03-31-2007, 09:32 AM
Seems Pruitt had a sense of humor...as I've heard many a story about the Mullett Billy Don Pruitt.....

Here's an article where Mark Wilson was racing, Trailer Boats Magazine, 1981...

Ron Hill
05-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Karon May sent me this picture of Jackie and Brett at Parker, 1979, I think. They finished like third or fourth. But, the Cosworth people servicing the motor must have thought they were on Holiday at the pit stops. As they changed the oil....each stop....Maybe even changed the plugs...Had a spot of Tea and went back racing....

Master Oil Racing Team
05-11-2011, 05:59 PM
That sounds exactly like the British Ron. Pip Willy had a table he would set up, place a tea pitcher on it with a saucer, tea cup and then place a vase with a single rose on the table before he sat down to take a "cuppa" before he climbed into his hydro.;):D Everytime I saw him he would say "You colonials destroyed the whole lot of good tea."

Mike Ward
05-15-2011, 10:16 AM
The Ford Cosworth outfit pictured above returned to the UK following its outing at Parker in 1979 and was displayed at the Motorboat Museum at Pitsea until it closed its doors in December 2010.

I understand it is returning to the US to be restored to its former glory.

Rotary John
05-15-2011, 12:54 PM
The Ford Cosworth outfit pictured above returned to the UK following its outing at Parker in 1979 and was displayed at the Motorboat Museum at Pitsea until it closed its doors in December 2010.

Jackie's son Mark has brought the boat to the states and is restoring it. If you want Jackie to resond on this site, just tell him Rotary John thinks he is a cantankerous old fart and doesn't know the difference between an outboard or an inboard. Jackie had the boat above certified as an OZ (unlimited outboard) because the engine and outdrive could be removed as a unit in about 15 minites. I belive that was part of the reason he was disqualifiwed at Parker; something about outboard, inboard or KT. Seems Jackie wanted to change his classification AFTER the race was over so he could claim the win in that class. I meet Jackie at OFF last year and he is really a nice guy

jackie wilson
05-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Just my 2 cents.. To everyone my posts have offended. I'm sorry.. I love the sport of boat racing and I'm a bit of a smart a!s but this is what it's all about.. History is way Cool guys.. Keep going.:D
Don't be such a "Dingleberry" Timmy.------Boat racers thrive on insults and lies------just ask your gorgeous red head mom and tubby dad. If your not a smart arse---you ain't a racer. I been falling out with people all my life-----but i'm still friends with all of them.
You do not have to apologise for saying the way you see it.
By the way ----thanks for showing me the S+F site------it seems like a long time ago when you first told me about it. I have made a lot of new friends ,+ some very weird people with very odd ideas [Rotary John in particular]. Keep on a bitchin and a moaning and you will be a genuine boat racer-----------it's what they do. !!!!!!!

jackie wilson
05-15-2011, 11:17 PM
Jackie's son Mark has brought the boat to the states and is restoring it. If you want Jackie to resond on this site, just tell him Rotary John thinks he is a cantankerous old fart and doesn't know the difference between an outboard or an inboard. Jackie had the boat above certified as an OZ (unlimited outboard) because the engine and outdrive could be removed as a unit in about 15 minites. I belive that was part of the reason he was disqualifiwed at Parker; something about outboard, inboard or KT. Seems Jackie wanted to change his classification AFTER the race was over so he could claim the win in that class. I meet Jackie at OFF last year and he is really a nice guy

You never could separate fact from fiction you old goat, you got it WRONG AGAIN.
It was Bretts dad George who asked me to make up the class 3 bloody days BEFORE the event. Never gave a toss about trophies------have over 300 of em in tea chests under the workbench. A class win don't mean nothing unless you get the index with it.

jackie wilson
05-15-2011, 11:47 PM

Hiya Mike, The museum was the WATT TYLER motor boat museum at Basildon in Essex was there for over 30 years until all the british bankers stole the councils money in the guise of bonuses and left the kitty dry.

jackie wilson
05-16-2011, 12:12 AM
Karon May sent me this picture of Jackie and Brett at Parker, 1979, I think. They finished like third or fourth. But, the Cosworth people servicing the motor must have thought they were on Holiday at the pit stops. As they changed the oil....each stop....Maybe even changed the plugs...Had a spot of Tea and went back racing....

RON__OH___RON Why is it that every time an OMC guy says something-----he says it wrong. Gets the fact mixed up with bean cans and puckwoodgies and talks out of his left elbow.
Fact 1 we finished 6th overall---a terrible result.
Fact 2 We had one 30 minute stop to change a gear case as a precautionary measure which went disastrously wrong when the combined efforts of Jerry Gilbreath and a sledge hammer went to work on a gear case that did not want a rest.
Fact 3 the boat was capable of winning outright------was faster than Bentz and was totally consistent and reliable and never missed a beat in the whole of it's racing life which was just 8 months.
Fact 4 The red light from the gearcase came on when i picked up a plastic bag which blocked the intake for while but it came off when i stopped for while. [took a leak].

Every trip to a race for the Cosworth crew was a holiday-------all the work had been done at home-------------they did not even give the rig a cursory glance when it came in for gas----wasn't their job.!!!!!!!!

As for changing the oil-----------the motor was in Le Mans Spec, which meant it would run 24 hrs non stop if required so there was never any need to even check the dip stick !!!!!!

Do you guys realize just how much more of a wonderful place AMERICA would have been if you had only chucked COFFEE into the harbour at Boston instead of TEA. JW.

Rotary John
05-16-2011, 02:30 AM
Ron:
I told you you would get him going.

jackie wilson
05-16-2011, 04:07 AM
Ron has the right idea.

A simple question would also be: Are you from the UK? That'll confirm he is ine and the same.

I met Jackie in the late 70's when he came to this side of the pond to race one summer. A wild and CRAZY guy! Ask him if he remembers Joe Gimbrone!

Hey Jeff, You think i was crazy,and you knew Joe--------no contest--------Mad as a march hare, would put a rope round his neck and hoick a big block V8 clean of it's mountings and never stop talking to you. Had a wife with a colossal sense of humour and a couple of daughters that were same age as my own.
My mechanic and i were discussing the fact that with shoulders like that and being built like a brick sh--house could one imagine the size of his 'Tallywhacker'. ????? His wife looked at Joe and said to me and Chas----------"you know what i call him"" ?????

Needle Dick----------The bug F----R, she roared with laughter and Joe just grinned at her.
On my life that is absolutely true.

Joe was the guy along with Larry Lauderbach who dumped 70 tons of water in my lap before we even reached the first turn buoy at Valleyfield in '76.

We all then motored up to Cornwall or Bornwall ?????/ where all the locks were, but we got blown out with a cissy force 3 wind ---------Joe and i went out to test and agreed it was good to go, but the others went "pussy" on us ,so we just split the prize money and had a Barbie

Powerabout
05-16-2011, 04:16 AM
Hi Jackie

You dont hapen to have a photo of the back end showing the drive do you?

Cheers

jackie wilson
05-16-2011, 05:18 AM
Hi Jackie

You dont hapen to have a photo of the back end showing the drive do you?

Cheers

Grandson Craig has done a web site for the Cossie restoration, i think its www.wilson custom marine .com
He will update the thing as it goes along.
Originally thought it would be a fairly easy project---but on closer inspection 35 years out of the water has not done the old girl any favours, and Mark is up to his fetlocks in work on all fronts.
There will be plenty of piccies of all aspects of the boat and it's drive and centrifugal clutch etc. JW

Powerabout
05-16-2011, 05:34 AM
Grandson Craig has done a web site for the Cossie restoration, i think its www.wilson custom marine .com
He will update the thing as it goes along.
Originally thought it would be a fairly easy project---but on closer inspection 35 years out of the water has not done the old girl any favours, and Mark is up to his fetlocks in work on all fronts.
There will be plenty of piccies of all aspects of the boat and it's drive and centrifugal clutch etc. JW
Great stuff
I will look forward to more photos
Many thanks

jackie wilson
05-16-2011, 06:32 AM
As I RECALL, the Cosworth ran all day and was not disqualified at all. It placed about 7th. I called Karon May today and asked her to get a hold of Brett, as I told her on her voicemail...we wanted to "DISCUSS" the Cosworth and other items...

My brother was the President of Drake Engineering at this time and they were trying to build a V-8 Offy to compete with Keith Duckworth's Cosworth...

I was driving for Brad Miller, who owned Crazyhorse Campgrounds, The Del Taco Chain and a few other ventures, and I was trying to get Brad interested in buying a Drake V-8 to run in our Crazyhorse tunnel boat....

I'm going to say this was 1979, but recall, like yesterday, that Keith and my brother got along very well and both agreed that the BEST racing would really be with one engine and one car....but both agreed that no one would ever go there....Hmmm...Seems NASCAR is getting closer...

Anyway, at the 1970 Enduro, I talked Brad into having a party at his campgrounds and I invited everyone at the race...We had a seriouly wild party...Havasu wasn't the CITY it now is, and that is the night that Fred Hauenstein and I decided to see if Brad Miller's Turbo Charged Porsch would go 150....We found out it would, on the Havasu City run way....

I remember talking to Keith Duckworth, that night, he was quite disappointed that my brother wasn't there...

Bottom Line, the Cosworth didn't really have a lot of TORQUE and wasn't really a "BALL OF FIRE"...and Cosworth could see that they weren't going to be selling too many motors to BOAT RACERS.....

The thing I remember, was at pit stops, they pulled the damn boat out of the water, drained the oil, or at least checked the oil and fooled around like it was lunch break...15 minut pit stops knocks hell out you when the other guys are making 1 minute stops...

This was a Gary Garbrecht, Mercury Racing deal...and as I always accused Brett May, was this: I told Brett the only reason he was driving this MACHINE, was he had a damn good looking sister and Gary Garbrecht liked having her around.....Of course, Brett thought they liked his driving STYLE!!!! Not to MENTION, George May was Referee at all these races in those days....

Ok, Brett...come after me!!!! Tell me where I've gone wrong!!!!

ADD:

When Bret was only about 18, Gary sent Bert Serra's Schutz with a T2X on it to California for Brett.....Brett didn't have enough money for gas or entry fees... I tell Brett, "Get off your ***, go to you local dealer, tell him you've got this Factory Ride and you need $1,000 for the next race..." Well, Brett goes to Nautal-Stryus (Mercury dealer in San Diego)...and gets $1,000... Brett shows up at the first race with this SPONSOR's name on the side...

Brett says, "Hey, that was a good IDEA youy had..." The dealer sponsored him for several years...

Gary sent Brett a new Molinari...and I happened to be talking to Gary (I was Mercury's High Performance's biggest propeller dealer, at that time)...and said I could sell the T2X of Brett's ...Gary said, anything over $2,000, keep it...I said the guy offered me $5,000.... Gary said, "WELL, sell it and send me 2..."

So, I sold it and sent him $2,000... Gary Garbrecht was always fair with me!!!
Ronald my boy---------What on earth made you think that GG had ANYTHING to do with the Cosworth. Let me tell you categorically i paid for that trip myself and Bedford Davy paid the air freight, Cosworth paid for Duckworth, and Mercury NEVER EVER had anything to do with that project. I never ever got a bloody washer for free out of mercury and i had been a mercury dealer for over 20 years.
Introduced GG to Duckworth at Bristol in '78, but there was nothing before that going on, but a hell of a lot took place after.
Introduced Bedford to GG and he sponsored a lot of the Cosworth development with Mercury and also the very expensive V8 world record attempt.
Can't imagine where you got the idea the Cosworth had no torque---------the clever bit was to stop the thing corkscrewing when you got lead in the foot.
Agree with you there never was going to be too many boating lads with the dosh to run a full blooded formula one motor---------that was never the idea-------Duckworth was testing the American legal system on foreign motors. Car racing was always the prize factor in the USA and this was a back door testing.
I had a choice of co-driver from a host of top notchers, but i was wary of picking a hero. The boat needed to finish and Brett did exactly what he was supposed to do-----he brought it home after each stint, I made the choice------Not GG.
Also agree he has a damn good looking sister.

Still get pissed off when somebody comes up with a stupid statement like "This was a Garbrecht deal". GG and me had been at loggerheads ever since the idea of the "Cossie" was born.
Unlike you i "WAS SCREWED" by Garbrecht a number of times. But don't anybody ever think he had anything at all to do with the Cosworth----------he didn't.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Very interesting pieces of history Jackie. Unfortunately, I never got a program from Valleyfield in 1976, but I got a bunch of photos. We you driving an inboard hydro? If so...what number. I'm going to look up my notes and photos right now to see what I can find. I remember some tunnels running also, but I didn't think Larry Lauterback and Joe Gimbrone drive tunnels. There was also a gentleman there with an old looking inboard from Switzerland named Joseph Ulrich. I had taken pictures of him only a few months earlier driving that same boat in a marathon on the Weser River in Karlshaven, West Germany. I always was interested in his boat racing history.

jackie wilson
05-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Very interesting pieces of history Jackie. Unfortunately, I never got a program from Valleyfield in 1976, but I got a bunch of photos. We you driving an inboard hydro? If so...what number. I'm going to look up my notes and photos right now to see what I can find. I remember some tunnels running also, but I didn't think Larry Lauterback and Joe Gimbrone drive tunnels. There was also a gentleman there with an old looking inboard from Switzerland named Joseph Ulrich. I had taken pictures of him only a few months earlier driving that same boat in a marathon on the Weser River in Karlshaven, West Germany. I always was interested in his boat racing history.

The boat i ran was a 2 litre Cosworth Hodges pickle with about 275 hp which was always good for keeping up with the factory boys
Sorry to have to tell you-----the only class the committee would let me run in was the GP class, was not allowed to race with the tunnel boats. World wide paperwork was not recognised in Canada, and if i had not been with such a great bunch of people i would have been well pissed. You ever get to meet Jim and Louise Thompson, they took care of the three of us from the minute we got there-----wonderful folk !!!!!!!!

I didn't fare as badly as the Mexican teams that travelled thousands of miles -------only to be told "you are late for drivers meeting ----your out------park your boats outside the compound --in the street.

Joseph Ulricht had a beautiful rig ----but it was all show and no go------he always finished last wherever he turned up. He gave away thousands of flyers with him and his boat showing, had a bundle of dosh-----but that was it. Don't think he had a boat racing history-but he was a damn fine poser. He was probably good in marathons 'cos the Italians [who ran that class] were fast and furious but broke more often than not---------bit like the tortoise and the hare. JW.

Rotary John
05-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Jackie:
Its great seeing your antimated personality on BRF. The guys here have missed you journalistic expertise. How many others can say they have there own thrd on a boat racing site? Glad your here chap.:)

Powerabout
05-16-2011, 08:29 PM
where did you get the lower unit, was that one of those very old 3 shaft lowers?

jackie wilson
05-17-2011, 09:29 AM
where did you get the lower unit, was that one of those very old 3 shaft lowers?

Probably was---------there is a host of spare bits we are trying to locate-but 35 years on and nobody seems to know where Keith kept the bits.
My old mechanic Chas Shooter has a bunch of BP gearcases in his loft.
When i closed the garage i had 50 stainless BP props i bought from SWMF for £5 apiece .
Were neither use nor ornament and as my sainted mother used to say.
Always ran a little quickie gear case in England----never had a problem with it but Keith was a natural born worrier and used to fret about it being ---"a fragile piece of kit".
I had a pressure guage and temperature guage to tell me if it was getting near terminal time on every gear case we ever ran-------even Parker.
Loved getting up GG's left nostril------------Was great to see him throw a wobbly every so often-----if i was the cause ------i was happy.

Powercat
05-18-2011, 10:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFRIGh8t45I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0FkLKphIME

To get to know Jackie better, you have to listen to him
tell a story.. Nobody does it better,
The YouTube interviews linked above were
done about a year ago..

jackie wilson
05-18-2011, 11:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFRIGh8t45I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0FkLKphIME

To get to know Jackie better, you have to listen to him
tell a story.. Nobody does it better,
The YouTube interviews linked above were
done about a year ago..

Funny thing is---------i expected to be challenged on these matters, but nearly a year on and nobody has disagreed with my views.

Omc and Mercury between them screwed up boat racing for the next 20 years.

If half a dozen responsible people want copies of the 4 FONDA newsletters to see the way the sport was heading under David Parkinson' guidance. I will gladly send you them.
Have promised a copy to Nick Springate, but cannot send them to individual enthusiasts

Suppose some one who knows what they are doing could post them on here for all to see.
there's some great historical sh-t in those items, concerning some big names like Renato M> who threatened to sue my asse off if i didn't send him a written apology------------that was dead in the water from the start.
I should keep quiet---------i only get into trouble -------and to think young Timmy thinks he's a smart mouth.!!!!!!!!

Lee Sutter
05-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Funny thing is---------i expected to be challenged on these matters, but nearly a year on and nobody has disagreed with my views.

If half a dozen responsible people want copies of the 4 FONDA newsletters to see the way the sport was heading under David Parkinson' guidance. I will gladly send you them.
Have promised a copy to Nick Springate, but cannot send them to individual enthusiasts

Suppose some one who knows what they are doing could post them on here for all to see.
there's some great historical sh-t in those items, concerning some big names like Renato M> who threatened to sue my asse off if i didn't send him a written apology------------that was dead in the water from the start.
I should keep quiet---------i only get into trouble -------and to think young Timmy thinks he's a smart mouth.!!!!!!!!

Hi Jackie, It's been a long time since we have talked. It's been fun reading your posts and seeing your videos. I agree 100% with your observation of what happened and what caused the demise of F-1 Outboard Tunnel Boat Racing. It's always amazed me that the factories did not even want to race against each other on a level playing field. I think they could have co-existed and thrived on a world tour with a 2 liter limit. And, they would have saved millions on new product development.
I hope you are doing well.
Regards,
Lee

jackie wilson
05-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Hi Jackie, It's been a long time since we have talked. It's been fun reading your posts and seeing your videos. I agree 100% with your observation of what happened and what caused the demise of F-1 Outboard Tunnel Boat Racing. It's always amazed me that the factories did not even want to race against each other on a level playing field. I think they could have co-existed and thrived on a world tour with a 2 liter limit. And, they would have saved millions on new product development.
I hope you are doing well.
Regards,
Lee

WELL_____SOD MY OLD BRITCHES-----if it's not the boy himself. The last time i saw you was at the Seebold house in St Louis about 15 years ago.

You used to race with Percy in the european Marathons, ie, Paris 6 hours.

Why the hell didn't the 2 factories listen to the racers instead of the accountants and pen pushers who knew bugger all about anything except product and profit margins.

Bed time now----turned 11 pm so will comment more tomorrow when the little grey cells are rested-------great to hear from you again Lee, how's the golf coming along------but you could always give Mr Bill a thrashing with one hand tied behind your back [on a golf course]

Ron Hill
05-18-2011, 04:36 PM
I went to George May's 90th birthday party last weekend, May 14, 2011. I saw Brett May there but we never really got time to talk.

Thanks for correcting me on the Cosworth Story, not sure where I heard what I heard, I probably just made it up.

As far as two liters goes, how many lites in F1 auto racing???? We are racing 2.0 Mercs on MOD VP boats with carbs and 2.6 CC Heads.

Some of the greatest tunnel racing in America, without a doubt, was when 2.0 liter Mercury was IOGP/CHAMP BOAT OR...

NASCAR has their car of tomorrow. Tunnel boat could do the same, run 2.0 liters....maybe in another life time!

jackie wilson
05-18-2011, 11:44 PM
I went to George May's 90th birthday party last weekend, May 14, 2011. I saw Brett May there but we never really got time to talk.

Thanks for correcting me on the Cosworth Story, not sure where I heard what I heard, I probably just made it up.

As far as two liters goes, how many lites if F1 auto racing???? We are racing 2.0 Mercs on MOD VP boats with carbs and 2.6 CC Heads.

Some of the greatest tunnel racing in America, without a doubt, was when 2.0 liter Mercury was IOGP/CHAMP BOAT OR...

NASCAR has their car of tomorrow. Tunnel boat could do the same, run 2.0 liters....maybe in another life time!

Would loved to have been there------just to wind the old boy up--He has been one of the stalwarts of power boating in the USA for many years.
Saw Brett myself last October at the annual OFF get together, but he didn't manage to get Karen to show up--[ think she's avoiding me ].
Can't imagine why anyone would think GG had anything to do with "The Cosworth". When GG and i fell out big time at Windermere [ the day after Shakey Bill disappeared into the depths] I told him in my own gentle and subtle way----------" Do not need YOU to go boat racing,---------will build my own bloody boat and wipe the floor with you". It was all said in the heat of the moment after he took my little 16' sprint Molly and motor away.
That had a 1000 BP on it and was quicker than most of the 1250's.

Duckworth was instrumental in laying out the formula for F1 cars.
He believed super or turbo charging was bad for F1 and a capacity limit had to be strictly enforced for as long as possible ---ie; no rule changes for 3 years.
He was of the opinion you should give the teams a measured amount of fuel and a distance to run and a maximum time to do it in------then throw all the balls in the air and see what comes up-------still a very interesting theory.

Why allow anyone to alter a factory spec ????? It only leads to huge expense and cheating. Get a level playing field and stock equipment and tight governing with sensible rules-------the only way to get the numbers back.

Champ boat racing was good and still is. BUT________you know and i know if you get Anderson to play with the lump it will come home long before the one out of the box. Get it regulated and smack the rule benders hard.
The best laid plans of mice--men---and tunnel boat racing must be firm and positive. Rules adhered to-----long term policy---and run by people who can------not people who are important in the wine growing or technology industry or garbage can collecting---but as always CASH COUNTS. So it will probably never happen again.

Thank God i was born when i was and lived the time.

Betcha NASCAR has it's plans laid out for the next 10 years.

mintominto
05-19-2011, 04:56 AM
Hi Jackie,

Found this old Paris report, (must have been a proud day). Looks like the same rig at Fairford, I'm guessing it was a couple of months previous to Paris during the summer of 1979.

jackie wilson
05-19-2011, 09:59 AM
the boat i gave to Mark----wasn't a great boat-------and i never raced a boat again----had scared myself sh-tless in Paris trying to prove i was better than him -------but of course i wasn't. He was always a more accomplished driver than me ------------Dammit he had been going to races since he was 5 years old ,so he must have learned something

Lee Sutter
05-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Hi Jackie,

Found this old Paris report, (must have been a proud day). Looks like the same rig at Fairford, I'm guessing it was a couple of months previous to Paris during the summer of 1979.

I'm not sure this is 1979 as I remember running T-4's in 1979. I also remember driving the JPS #10 with Tom in 1977. Or, are these T-4's? I raced in Paris from 1976 thru 1979. I thought JPS dropped out in 1978 - not sure as I don't rest my "Small Grey Matter" like Jackie does....
Lee

Lee Sutter
05-19-2011, 12:40 PM
WELL_____SOD MY OLD BRITCHES-----if it's not the boy himself. The last time i saw you was at the Seebold house in St Louis about 15 years ago.

You used to race with Percy in the european Marathons, ie, Paris 6 hours.

Why the hell didn't the 2 factories listen to the racers instead of the accountants and pen pushers who knew bugger all about anything except product and profit margins.

Bed time now----turned 11 pm so will comment more tomorrow when the little grey cells are rested-------great to hear from you again Lee, how's the golf coming along------but you could always give Mr Bill a thrashing with one hand tied behind your back [on a golf course]

Didn't we wind up down at Lake of the Ozarks? Good thing we didn't drink then...as we might have made fools of ourselves. I remember having the jet ski races, go cart races, golf tournaments and racing all the offshore boats with the 20' Ski Eagle with an modified 2.4 under the hood in 4' rollers on Sunday afternoon. I really appreciate and miss those times!!!

Why don't you take a nap then you can stay up later?

jackie wilson
05-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Didn't we wind up down at Lake of the Ozarks? Good thing we didn't drink then...as we might have made fools of ourselves. I remember having the jet ski races, go cart races, golf tournaments and racing all the offshore boats with the 20' Ski Eagle with an modified 2.4 under the hood in 4' rollers on Sunday afternoon. I really appreciate and miss those times!!!

Why don't you take a nap then you can stay up later?

That sure was a wonderful time, going up to the ozarks and eating Lynn's sloppy Joes complete with one or two of her false fingernails that just dropped off as she was serving up.

4 Buds and Billy was anybody's-------5 and he was out cold.

They were the memories of a lifetime.

Lee---i have to tell you---i DO take a nap and i still go to bed before midnight.

jackie wilson
05-19-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure this is 1979 as I remember running T-4's in 1979. I also remember driving the JPS #10 with Tom in 1977. Or, are these T-4's? I raced in Paris from 1976 thru 1979. I thought JPS dropped out in 1978 - not sure as I don't rest my "Small Grey Matter" like Jackie does....
Lee

Was definitely '79. Had run Parker earlier that year with the Cosworth and knew i was too old to challenge the young bloods, so had decided to retire. The 79 Paris was the last time i ever raced a boat.

You should get to rest 'THE LITTLE GREY CELLS' more often.

Rotary John
05-20-2011, 04:16 AM

Jackie: What many of you "racers" forget is the factories were not in racing at the time to promote boat racing, but to advertise that brand X was faster or more duralble than brand Y. Each would do anything to beat the other. It was Charlie vs Charlie. Win at any cost and both factories spent tons of money trying. The rotary is one example. The entire program was "beat the black bastards" and was only a stop gap measure until the V-6 was ready. When OMC was getting beat regularly by Merc with V-6's. Out came the OMC V-8. Why did Strang get out of F-1 racing; because everyone was running OMC V-8's and there was no more PR value is Johnson beating Evinrude. If boat racing is ever going to sucessful, its got to be run with a tight fist ala NASCAR. The fans want to see 2 Chevys, a Dodge and 3 Fords 10 feet apart on the last lap. The Champ boat demise is the lastest example of this. From a spectators point of view, it looked all the same; Siebolt tunnels with Merc engines. Get some rest OLD chap, your gery mater is getting tired.

jackie wilson
05-20-2011, 06:55 AM
Jackie: What many of you "racers" forget is the factories were not in racing at the time to promote boat racing, but to advertise that brand X was faster or more duralble than brand Y. Each would do anything to beat the other. It was Charlie vs Charlie. Win at any cost and both factories spent tons of money trying. The rotary is one example. The entire program was "beat the black bastards" and was only a stop gap measure until the V-6 was ready. When OMC was getting beat regularly by Merc with V-6's. Out came the OMC V-8. Why did Strang get out of F-1 racing; because everyone was running OMC V-8's and there was no more PR value is Johnson beating Evinrude. If boat racing is ever going to sucessful, its got to be run with a tight fist ala NASCAR. The fans want to see 2 Chevys, a Dodge and 3 Fords 10 feet apart on the last lap. The Champ boat demise is the lastest example of this. From a spectators point of view, it looked all the same; Siebolt tunnels with Merc engines. Get some rest OLD chap, your gery mater is getting tired.

Johnno, It's easy to see you are an engineer and not a PR man -cause the draught coming out of your rectum could only be the result of a misguided and frustrated boffin with a bad dose of indigestion and collywobbles wanting to vent his ire on anyone who happens to be in the vicinity. Never heard such utter tripe and nonsense in the whole of my long being.!!!!!!!!!!
When ole Carl started to promote his product via the racepond--------wasn't long before the sales went up a tad and the other side wanted to know what was going on, and joined in the fun. Then the party started. the factory wars were great-----but you made a coupla mistakes-------------there should have been a capacity limit---which never came------and then there was the WANKEL----a very expensive disaster-------open cheque book----millions spent and 4 working models and a 2 spares and shelved after -----what 2----3 years. Don't kid me it was a stop gap effort---------that's bollocks and you know it. Great for the boffins but still an abject failure. The V6 was a good little runner but was never the equal of the Merc-------so we come to the waste of space lump of a motor the mighty V8---- Killed and maimed more pilots than any other engine in the history of the sport and was useless as an outboard to the industry due to its weight and awesome power. No manufacturer had a boat in production that could take it------and there weren't too many takers. Died a natural---as was fitting . Do believe the V6 merc is going strong but i still think they will shoot themselves in the foot if they continue the horse power race.

The OMC V8 series lasted 3 years . the V6 Mercury is still alive and well and still running-------------what more can i tell you?????????

Lars Strom
05-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Johnno, It's easy to see you are an engineer and not a PR man -cause the draught coming out of your rectum could only be the result of a misguided and frustrated boffin with a bad dose of indigestion and collywobbles wanting to vent his ire on anyone who happens to be in the vicinity. Never heard such utter tripe and nonsense in the whole of my long being.!!!!!!!!!!
When ole Carl started to promote his product via the racepond--------wasn't long before the sales went up a tad and the other side wanted to know what was going on, and joined in the fun. Then the party started. the factory wars were great-----but you made a coupla mistakes-------------there should have been a capacity limit---which never came------and then there was the WANKEL----a very expensive disaster-------open cheque book----millions spent and 4 working models and a 2 spares and shelved after -----what 2----3 years. Don't kid me it was a stop gap effort---------that's bollocks and you know it. Great for the boffins but still an abject failure. The V6 was a good little runner but was never the equal of the Merc-------so we come to the waste of space lump of a motor the mighty V8---- Killed and maimed more pilots than any other engine in the history of the sport and was useless as an outboard to the industry due to its weight and awesome power. No manufacturer had a boat in production that could take it------and there weren't too many takers. Died a natural---as was fitting . Do believe the V6 merc is going strong but i still think they will shoot themselves in the foot if they continue the horse power race.

The OMC V8 series lasted 3 years . the V6 Mercury is still alive and well and still running-------------what more can i tell you?????????

Hi Jackie,

Long time no see..last time in Key West I think..!!

I have been reading at S&F and now here at BRF..
but are not getting in to all this stuff...

We all lost lots of good friends to outboard racing over the years..from small 35 hp outboard classes to unlimited OZ class...
Please..be careful here.

BTW..the first OMC V-8 race was early 1981..Brodenbach, Germany
and the last in Europe late 1985 in Sevilla, Spain..
Then the V-8 racing went on in the USA for 3-4 more years..

I have been an OMC racer and dealer over many, many years and my memories and success with the Evinrude brand is extremely good..

Have fun and I meet Mark at the Miami Boat Show this year.

Regards

Lasse

jackie wilson
05-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Hi Jackie,

Long time no see..last time in Key West I think..!!

I have been reading at S&F and now here at BRF..
but are not getting in to all this stuff...

We all lost lots of good friends to outboard racing over the years..from small 35 hp outboard classes to unlimited OZ class...
Please..be careful here.

BTW..the first OMC V-8 race was early 1981..Brodenbach, Germany
and the last in Europe late 1985 in Sevilla, Spain..
Then the V-8 racing went on in the USA for 3-4 more years..

I have been an OMC racer and dealer over many, many years and my memories and success with the Evinrude brand is extremely good..

Have fun and I meet Mark at the Miami Boat Show this year.

Regards

Lasse

Hiya Lasse, great to hear from you-------Love the polite way you have of telling me to SHUT UP. You're right of course-------my mouth was always running away with me. I have no particular love for Mercury---although they did give me a very good living for over 20 years.
OMC treated Mark very badly after he nearly lost his foot in Casale Monferrato and i have never forgiven them for that.
I have to apologise to a very nice man who just loves to wind me up--ROTORY JOHN--. He is a lovely man and is smitten with the rotary bug. What if he had been working at Fon-Du-Lac instead of Sheboygon or wherever it was .
Mark as usual has his ear plugged into the i phone---but he does look smart--i never could look like that.
The last time we met was Key West about 5/6 years ago. I turn 80 this time round --but of course am still the handsome --debonair ---quiet ----modest of all human beings.
That's the last word i shall utter on the subject of Factories and their devious dealings.
Still have a huge number of "colonial" friends-----so i didn't do it all wrong. Jackie.

Lars Strom
05-20-2011, 10:17 AM
I remember your GMC Motorhome in Paris...1974 (maybe 1975)

..Jackie Wilson....Racing for fun....was the big text on the side of the
brand new "air ride"..motorhome.

Very good memories..Paris 6 Hours was my favorite race..
Won the OE class 3 times.

jackie wilson
05-20-2011, 10:49 AM
I remember your GMC Motorhome in Paris...1974 (maybe 1975)

..Jackie Wilson....Racing for fun....was the big text on the side of the
brand new "air ride"..motorhome.

Very good memories..Paris 6 Hours was my favorite race..
Won the OE class 3 times.

Do you know i bought that from Barry Sheene and became good friends with him, i even visited him in Surfers paradise down under.
Paid him £7, 000 for that, My mechanic Chas Shooter lent me the money so we could got to Amsterdam in style.

Rotary John
05-20-2011, 12:47 PM
"a very nice man who just loves to wind me up--ROTORY JOHN-" Jackie: by definition winding is a rotary function. I must therefor conclude you have some rotary in you. SEE, I knew you couldn't be all bad. Besides when the factory wars were going strong, Old Karl was not part of mercury and if fact was an Evinrude dealer in Fondulac. Also if you recall the first time the V-6's met, OMC came out on top. Paris 1974.

Lars Strom
05-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Hiya Lasse, great to hear from you-------Love the polite way you have of telling me to SHUT UP. You're right of course-------my mouth was always running away with me. I have no particular love for Mercury---although they did give me a very good living for over 20 years.
OMC treated Mark very badly after he nearly lost his foot in Casale Monferrato and i have never forgiven them for that.
I have to apologise to a very nice man who just loves to wind me up--ROTORY JOHN--. He is a lovely man and is smitten with the rotary bug. What if he had been working at Fon-Du-Lac instead of Sheboygon or wherever it was .
Mark as usual has his ear plugged into the i phone---but he does look smart--i never could look like that.
The last time we met was Key West about 5/6 years ago. I turn 80 this time round --but of course am still the handsome --debonair ---quiet ----modest of all human beings.
That's the last word i shall utter on the subject of Factories and their devious dealings.
Still have a huge number of "colonial" friends-----so i didn't do it all wrong. Jackie.

Yes I remember Mark crashing his Molinari/Evinrude F1 V-8 boat in a practice accident at Casale Monferrato,Italy 1983
That was a stupid place for a race..flooded area and no place for spectators..
(I think the Bocca family made the race possible to help out).
Casale Monferrato was a replacement race for the first canceled F1-V8 race in Spain 1983...
...that one turned out to be a "offshore race" if you remember..

Lars Strom
05-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Do you know i bought that from Barry Sheene and became good friends with him, i even visited him in Surfers paradise down under.
Paid him £7, 000 for that, My mechanic Chas Shooter lent me the money so we could got to Amsterdam in style.

Very interesting Jackie..I was trying hard to get AKAI Japan to give me the same sponsor deal for my Burgess/Evinrude CC.. Formula 3 boat..as Barry Sheene got for his bike..
Well..not even close, but AKAI Sweden help me out pretty good..

I should have asked you for help..

jackie wilson
05-20-2011, 10:22 PM
"a very nice man who just loves to wind me up--ROTORY JOHN-" Jackie: by definition winding is a rotary function. I must therefor conclude you have some rotary in you. SEE, I knew you couldn't be all bad. Besides when the factory wars were going strong, Old Karl was not part of mercury and if fact was an Evinrude dealer in Fondulac. Also if you recall the first time the V-6's met, OMC came out on top. Paris 1974.

SOOOO Johno, if winding is a rotary action, does that make a 2 stroke a rotary when you "WIND it up and anything with a crank goes round -but does that action make it a rotary ???? Your the boffin---so tell me !!!!!!!!!!
If a mouse is born in a hen house it don't necessarily make it a chicken.
When at any time did i say Carl WAS there during the factory wars ?????? He was a weeny bit more than an Evinrude dealer ,and you know it.
You do have a bad dose of "Selective Memory Syndrome"-------------I was out of the scene in '74 so i couldn't possibly comment on the very rare occasions that a V6 OMC whacked a Merc. Here we go again !!!!!!!!!!!

jackie wilson
05-21-2011, 03:27 AM
Very interesting Jackie..I was trying hard to get AKAI Japan to give me the same sponsor deal for my Burgess/Evinrude CC.. Formula 3 boat..as Barry Sheene got for his bike..
Well..not even close, but AKAI Sweden help me out pretty good..

I should have asked you for help..

Lasse, the only sponsorship i ever got was free spark plugs from Champion and 2 seasons petrol from Shell. The rest i got the M.B.E. for, [my bloody efforts]. Never did get the O.B.E. [ other buggers efforts ].

Paid Barry a very fair price for the GMC 6 wheel camper, 26' long with every conceivable comfort on board, as well as 100 MPH performance. Was always the flashiest camper on the circuit, and took the family and my mechanic with me everywhere. We really did race for the fun of it

Barry could talk the hind legs off a donkey and could always pull a good sponsor,after he left Suzuki he never was quite the man. The guy who looked after him was another great friend of mine Rex White ----Suzuki race team manager for a hell of a long time.

Gotta tell you Lasse ---You will always be best remembered as being unbeatable in the F3 class year after year and the battles with John Hill and Roger Jenkins and Tony Williams --------not for your time in the V8, Lord i wish i could keep quiet ---just for a while.

jackie wilson
05-21-2011, 08:33 AM
"Lord i wish i could keep quiet ---just for a while. "
That will be the day they put dirt on your face.

Sure as hell won't be till after i danced all over your box Johnno.

I'm seriously thinking of not posting this--------------but what the heck------you only get one crack at life and i just have not got it in me to let him get away with it .

To the rotary buff-----------born to be disappointed-----as were thousands before him who messed with the damned thing.

Rotary John
05-21-2011, 12:23 PM
For all you state side racers. The definition of a "buffon". Someone who takes a Ford F-1 V-8, puts it in a boat and tries to call it an outboard.

Rotary John
05-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Jackie: I invited you to come over to BRF in hopes you would leave your sarcastic druel on S&F and add some intelligent insite. I was wrong. I suggest you just go back there and sling all the sarcasm you like.

jackie wilson
05-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Jackie: I invited you to come over to BRF in hopes you would leave your sarcastic druel on S&F and add some intelligent insite. I was wrong. I suggest you just go back there and sling all the sarcasm you like.

Gather you just withdrew your invite-----was fun for a while-------sorry to have rocked your boat bye.

Lars Strom
05-21-2011, 02:38 PM
For all you state side racers. The definition of a "buffon". Someone who takes a Ford F-1 V-8, puts it in a boat and tries to call it an outboard.

Hehe Rotary John..and then he give the real Evinrude-Johnson V-8 racing outboard a hard time..
To heavy, no good etc..bla, bla, bla..:):)

I think it still look modern..25-30 years later..

Ron Hill
05-21-2011, 06:51 PM
I left S and F a few years back when they tried to tell me Mercury guaranteed their race props. Have not been back since.

Anyway, Jackie speaks pretty well for an Englishman.

One or two things:

1. OMC's race V-8 was a well designed motor, I feel. But their production V-8 didn't have an even firing crankshaft and as a result the PRODUCTION V-8 sounded like a V-4. Loosely translated, it sounded like a TURD! I had a 3.6 V-8, once we got rid of the rev limiters it w as a total animal...On a Production 21' Eliminator, we ran through the kilos at 121....MPH...I know 2.5 EFI's have gone 134 MPH on MOD VP type boats....I've never had a 2.5 Mercury run 121 on a 21 foot Eliminator Daytona...

2. When Garbrecht was running the TEAM for OMC and racing in the races. Anyone with half a brain could quickly figure out that GARY'S boats were faster......Back in the TEAM MERCURY days, I clearly remember Renato asking Gary, at the Six Hours of Paris, if his motor was the same as Sirois's motor. Gary explained it was....Sunday morning before the Six Hours of Paris, Renato again asked Gary again, if his motor was the same as Bill's. Garbrecht assured him it was. Renato then said, "Good as we switch powerheads in the night..." Renato led the first lap and went on to win.....

3. Charlie Strang always kept Bill France from NASCAR on OMC's board of directors....Strang always covered his ***........except maybe in the Jimbo settlement....Strang is the guy who fines the Tony Stewarts...and Kyle Busches now days...

4. I will say it again, it really never was about OMC winning, it was WHO WOULD WIN WITH AN OMC....Tom Ireland and Jeff Brown beat the OMC factory Team at St. Louis one day. The next day they retired from racing.........or they could have lost their jobs in OMC's Service Department....

5. Engineers are NOT MARKETERS!

Love your posts, Jackie. Please feel free to talk about anything....at any time!!!

I was wrong about the Cosworth....but it might have been the first time I was wrong...

Laras was tough in OE...??? I always thought John HILL was the OE KING!!!! (But ALL OMC's PROPELLERS came from me, then through Paul Kalb. I never had favorites...I just made props the best I could).

Lars Strom
05-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Hehe Ron..I remember what Gary told me.. when Merc came with the new 3,4 liter
T-4.. V-6 in/for the Bristol race 1979..

Lars.."there is no substitute for cubic/inch"......and I know there was way bigger V-8 race engines coming out of the Second Effort shop in Florida..all the way up to 4,6 liter..:)

Lars Strom
05-21-2011, 07:20 PM
I left S and F a few years back when they tried to tell me Mercury guaranteed their race props. Have not been back since.

One or two things:

1. OMC's race V-8 was a well designed motor, I feel. But their production V-8 didn't have an even firing crankshaft and as a result the PRODUCTION V-8 sounded like a V-4. Loosely translated, it sounded like a TURD! I had a 3.6 V-8, once we got rid of the rev limiters it w as a total animal...On a Production 21' Eliminator, we ran through the kilos at 121....MPH...I know 2.5 EFI's have gone 134 MPH on MOD VP type boats....I've never had a 2.5 Mercury run 121 on a 21 foot Eliminator Daytona...

2. When Garbrecht was running the TEAM for OMC and racing in the races. Anyone with half a brain could quickly figure out that GARY'S boats were faster......Back in the TEAM MERCURY days, I clearly remember Renato asking Gary, at the Six Hours of Paris, if his motor was the same as Sirois's motor. Gary explained it was....Sunday morning before the Six Hours of Paris, Renato again asked Gary again, if his motor was the same as Bill's. Garbrecht assured him it was. Renato then said, "Good as we switch powerheads in the night..." Renato led the first lap and went on to win.....

3. Charlie Strang always kept Bill France from NASCAR on OMC's board of directors....Strang always covered his ***........except maybe in the Jimbo settlement....Strang is the guy who fines the Tony Stewarts...and Kyle Busches now days...

4. I will say it again, it really never was about OMC winning, it was WHO WOULD WIN WITH AN OMC....Tom Ireland and Jeff Brown beat the OMC factory Team at St. Louis one day. The next day they retired from racing.........or they could have lost their jobs in OMC's Service Department....

Love your posts, Jackie. Please feel free to talk about anything....at any time!!!

I was wrong about the Cosworth....but it might have been the first time I was wrong...

Laras was tough in OE...??? I always thought John HILL was the OE KING!!!! (But ALL OMC's PROPELLERS came from me, then through Paul Kalb. I never had favorites...I just made props the best I could).

Hehe Ron..I remember what Gary Garbrecht told me.. when Merc came out with the new 3.4 liter T-4.. V-6 in/for the Bristol race 1979..

Lars.."there is no substitute for cubic/inch"...
...and I know there was way bigger OMC V-8 race engines coming out of the Second Effort shop in Florida..all the way up to 4.6 liter

Lars Strom
05-21-2011, 07:32 PM
I like this ad..!!

Lars Strom
05-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Lasse, the only sponsorship i ever got was free spark plugs from Champion and 2 seasons petrol from Shell. The rest i got the M.B.E. for, [my bloody efforts]. Never did get the O.B.E. [ other buggers efforts ].

Paid Barry a very fair price for the GMC 6 wheel camper, 26' long with every conceivable comfort on board, as well as 100 MPH performance. Was always the flashiest camper on the circuit, and took the family and my mechanic with me everywhere. We really did race for the fun of it

Barry could talk the hind legs off a donkey and could always pull a good sponsor,after he left Suzuki he never was quite the man. The guy who looked after him was another great friend of mine Rex White ----Suzuki race team manager for a hell of a long time.

Gotta tell you Lasse ---You will always be best remembered as being unbeatable in the F3 class year after year and the battles with John Hill and Roger Jenkins and Tony Williams --------not for your time in the V8, Lord i wish i could keep quiet ---just for a while.

Yes Jackie..I did never get to success in the V8 class..
I raced SE-OE-and ones with the OMC 2 liter Molinari/Saffa boat in Italy 1978.
Then OZ in Paris 1978 with Angelo Vassena in one of Molinaris Saffa boats..

My opinion is..and I know Jimbo McConnell agree..The OE/F3/Mod 50 class was one of the best racing classes..
I love those years with Jenkins and John Hill in the class.
Being from little Sweden was not easy back then.. to fight with the big Boat racing nations like England- Italy and the United States..

Most fun was racing in England back then.. like Bristol, Nottingham, Chasewater, Cardiff, London and a few more places..
Hehe..really like the Fancy Dress partys in Nottingham..(the row boat station)..

The Jenkins family always took good care of me..You remenber all of Rogers "crazy friends"..
Can not even write down there nick/names...and I am sure you understand why..:):):)

jackie wilson
05-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Yes Jackie..I did never get to success in the V8 class..
I raced SE-OE-and ones with the OMC 2 liter Molinari/Saffa boat in Italy 1978.
Then OZ in Paris 1978 with Angelo Vassena in one of Molinaris Saffa boats..

My opinion is..and I know Jimbo McConnell agree..The OE/F3/Mod 50 class was one of the best racing classes..
I love those years with Jenkins and John Hill in the class.
Being from little Sweden was not easy back then.. to fight with the big Boat racing nations like England- Italy and the United States..

Most fun was racing in England back then.. like Bristol, Nottingham, Chasewater, Cardiff, London and a few more places..
Hehe..really like the Fancy Dress partys in Nottingham..(the row boat station)..

The Jenkins family always took good care of me..You remenber all of Rogers "crazy friends"..
Can not even write down there nick/names...and I am sure you understand why..:):):)

Roger [ the mouth] Jenkins had a lovely family. I got on well with his dad who did all the running about for Roger and his long suffering wife was a joy to talk to. His boy could play the piano and guitar----------but then Roger did have a music shop in Cardiff.
I once swopped him an 1100 Merc for a superb upright piano which he bought back off me many years later.

I was very close to joining the OE race class with a Burgess and an 850 OMC------reason being they seemed to be having more fun than i was, Jenkins and Williams tried very hard to get me to join them

Don't give me that poor little Sweden bit-----you produced some very fierce competitors over the years and Molgard was always a great boatbuilder.
You made your mark in boat racing history----even from poor little old Sweden.!!!!!!

jackie wilson
05-21-2011, 11:17 PM
Hehe Ron..I remember what Gary Garbrecht told me.. when Merc came out with the new 3.4 liter T-4.. V-6 in/for the Bristol race 1979..

...and I know there was way bigger OMC V-8 race engines coming out of the Second Effort shop in Florida..all the way up to 4.6 liter

Lasse ---Gospel truth------Garbrecht told me exactly the same thing in Bristol when i turned up with the "Cosworth"------word for word------told me i was going down the wrong road and he had massive capacity coming and i was wasting my time. Then went to Charlie Shepherd and asked him not to accept my entry. He was wasting his time, Charlie was an honourable man and could not be bought------------that was the "Cosworth's" first race.

jackie wilson
05-21-2011, 11:46 PM
Hehe Rotary John..and then he give the real Evinrude-Johnson V-8 racing outboard a hard time..
To heavy, no good etc..bla, bla, bla..:):)

I think it still look modern..25-30 years later..

Have to agree -i will say this only once.

THAT BLOODY MOTOR WAS THE BEST LOOKING-------MEANEST------PROPER RACE ENGINE EVER.

Had to smile at the caption "for selected customers" the meaning being----if you have the cash---you can have one.!!!!!!!!!!

There weren't enough drivers qualified to run the V8 so OMC looked to the smaller classes to make up a series. Some of these were so inexperienced it was pitiful. Jenks was the only one of the lower classes of drivers to get away with it and he retired scared sh-tless after the 3 rivers race.

Not before he won a world F1 title, he was always on the podium--but Molly did have a lot of breakages that year---and GG and Jenks were good buddies-----there goes that mouth of mine again----------but try and find a bit of Molinari history after that race-------you won't ----because there isn't any.

Not a good time in powerboat history. will always be remembered , as are most tragedies but the sport must be monitored by honourable men and not the corrupt few that were in power at the UIM at that time.

If David Parkinson had ever to write his memoirs---the excreta would hit the whirlygig and the ensuing furore would be earth shattering in powerboating circles----but i don't suppose he ever will----------he's an honourable man.

jackie wilson
05-22-2011, 08:49 AM

One or two things:

The only reason you weren't screwed by GG----YOU WERE BIGGER THAN HIM

He screwed almost everybody else he did business with---and the prop deal of second effort was just a comic caper.!!!!!!!!!!

He treated my son Mark very well but he screwed me on a number of occasions.

Rolla sent me my race prop for Havasu via GG. I made do with a piece of useless Merc propapology,
with which i managed to flip the boat and chop my nose off into the bargain.

Some 30 odd years later Willabee hinted that a certain Bobby Herring did rather well with a Rolla prop that day . He gave it me back when i got back to Oshberg.

As my sainted mother used to say ---he runs with the hare and hunts with the hounds.

His right hand never did know what his left hand was up to---he did play both ends against the middle rather a lot.

Had made it all up again years later and was due to play golf with him the month he died, but i had to call it of as i had a rather urgent meeting with a heart doc, the outcome of which was successful [in my opinion].

Wonder if he ever sold his email tag to Bernie Ecclestone ?????? F1---it had to be worth at least $1,000,000. Shrewd or what ????

Lasse tough in OE ??? that's an understatement if ever i heard one. All the English drivers knew Lars was the one to beat? and John Hill and Jenkins and Tony Williams used him as the yardstick. he was dominant for years.!!!!!!

I was lucky that i had a friend in Rolla------he did all Molinari and Scotti's props and he and his wife Renate became lifelong friends [ she died many years ago].

Pruett did not give a rat's asse for protocol or team management-----if he wanted to talk to Jimbo or Sanders or Charlie---he flat went and did it and flipped the finger to GG.

Remember he was goofing off on the OMC truck when he fell and broke his arm---GG tore into him and Pruett looked him straight in the eye---SOOOOOO_FIRE ME !!!!!!!

Rotary John
05-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Lars: Jim Nerstrom told me he was developing a 5L V-8 before OMC went belly up. Never made it to the race circuit, but was on the dyno under develoment. I still think this was the demise of factory racing, each factory trying to outdo the other. Not racing, but who could bring the most power to the race.

Lee Sutter
05-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Lars: Jim Nerstrom told me he was developing a 5L V-8 before OMC went belly up. Never made it to the race circuit, but was on the dyno under develoment. I still think this was the demise of factory racing, each factory trying to outdo the other. Not racing, but who could bring the most power to the race.

In my opinion the statement .."there is no substitute for cubic/inch" by GG is only true if the engine has a design that encourages it to turn high RPM's and perform on the back side of the power curve. We found this true especially with the Alky classes and the 122 cubic inch Merc V-6.

So, why did OMC go belly up? When I was a kid, Johnson and Evinrude owned the salt water and Mercury dominated the lakes and races. I wonder if anyone has the outboard industry annual market share information on OMC and Mercury from back in the 70's and 80's. That would really be very interesting data.

It's such a shame and amazing that OMC went upside down... I worked for the Sunbeam Corporation in Chicago ($2 billion in sales) for 23 years and they filed chapter 11 after they were bought by another company. Sunbeam went under because their manufacturing costs were too high and they kept their US plants operating until it was too late. They made great products during a time when the price was more important then the quality.

Oh, how fast did Jimbo and Jeff Brown go in Mod-50?

Lee

Mark75H
05-23-2011, 04:35 PM
OMC followed Merc into the boat building industry too late and bought the dregs at higher interest rates ... followed by the Fitch warranty disaster

Lars Strom
05-23-2011, 05:49 PM
OMC followed Merc into the boat building industry too late and bought the dregs at higher interest rates ... followed by the Fitch warranty disaster

Yes Mark75H..

Here is more...

The OMC pat to bankruptcy started already in the mid seventies by making enormous
mistakes in Europe.
More here..
http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6727&page=2

I remember when OMC told the world 1986 they made the biggest deal in the history of the Marine business..signing a contract to deliver all the stern drive power to Bayliner for
3 years..(87-88-89).

Well.. some time later Brunswick told the world they made the biggest Marine business deal..
The purchase of the Bayliner factory and later Sea Ray..
OMC had the possibility to do that before Brunswick but did not at that time, see the need for that..

Many poor decisions where made at the Headquarter in Waukegan.
They hired a President from the washing machine business and he wasted many like an old washing machine used water..

Poor quality and not keeping up with Yamaha was another reason..
In many ways Brunswick was smarter and made better decisions.

I told OMC for many years ago to team up with Merc to fight the Japs..
Not even on the map..
...instead
Merc signed up with Yamaha to fight OMC..
and maybe that is Mercury's biggest mistake ever..Time will tell..
Now Yamaha is slowly taking over the outboard business.
In Europe and the rest of the world ...Yamaha has already done that..

Penske was so close to purchase OMC but Soros/Green Marine and other investors could not agree about a deal..

I was asked by David Jones (the OMC - President) 1998 to come up with something to save the Northern Europe market..
Was hired as a consultant and did lots of work..but no money to do what needed to be done..

I still love the outboard business..but in a way I am glad I left some years ago..

Rotary John
05-24-2011, 04:56 AM
Sam: If you recall OMC was in the boat business long before Merc. They were made in Waukegan and sold under Johnson and Evinrude names. They were primarily IO's. They quit this business before the buying binge started. I believe Brunswick started it with buying Bayliner to have an outlet for their motors. But you are correct in that Brunswick and OMC went on a boat buying binge in the late 70's that was crazy. What was OMC doing with Criscraft?
Lee: If I recall, OMC had 80% world market share in the 60's when I started working for OMC. They also were making record sales and profits. At that time OMC had virtually all the salt water business as the Merc's wouldn't stand up to salt water. I believe bad management, no cost control, bad engineering and bad quality caused their demise.

T2x
05-24-2011, 04:57 AM
so we come to the waste of space lump of a motor the mighty V8---- Killed and maimed more pilots than any other engine in the history of the sport and was useless as an outboard to the industry due to its weight and awesome power. No manufacturer had a boat in production that could take it------and there weren't too many takers. Died a natural---as was fitting

Sorry Jackie but there were a bunch of hulls capable of handling the big V-8's. We built one of the first, the Shadow Cat, which was designed in 1979 specifically for the T-4's and promised V-8's. The fact is both motors never lived up to their promise, had weak mid sections and generally were engineering failures. We wound up putting 3x 2.4's on the Shadows (4x 2 liters on a later Conquest) to make up for the unfullfilled power that was promised. We did have 1 semi successful season with injected t-4's on the transom but that required one off lowers from engineering and about a mile of bungy cord to try and prevent the motor mounts from failing........ The simple fact was we could run through seas at speeds the big motors could not come close to enduring.

As you can see from the photos we could use all that power and weight plus.......

T2x
05-24-2011, 05:04 AM
Even though the Shadow Cat was designed specifically for the biggest outboards, we were forced to turn to inboard power to make them live up to their potential....As a died in the wool outboard racer ......this really wasn't my first choice....but as boat racers.... we had to go with what brought in the trophies.....

While the 4 x 2 liter boat in the post above was the fastest of any of the limited class boats we ever built , including stern drives, it was too complex for the guys who raced it. We used one "DR" powerhead (started 2 ways) to comply with the need for "reverse operation" with SSM 4's, and apparently none of the throttle men back then could get their minds around it.

P.S. Those were course average speeds.......in true offshore conditions.....set over at least 100 miles.

T2x

jackie wilson
05-24-2011, 05:19 AM
Sorry Jackie but there were a bunch of hulls capable of handling the big V-8's. We built one of the first, the Shadow Cat, which was designed in 1979 specifically for the T-4's and promised V-8's. The fact is both motors never lived up to their promise, had weak mid sections and generally were engineering failures. We wound up putting 3x 2.4's on the Shadows (4x 2 liters on a later Conquest) to make up for the unfullfilled power that was promised. We did have 1 semi successful season with injected t-4's on the transom but that required one off lowers from engineering and about a mile of bungy cord to try and prevent the motor mounts from failing........

As you can see from the photos we could use all that power and weight plus.......

I wasn't meaning custom built raceboats----------but production line, everyday, take granny for a spin pleasure boats. ie; Baggies -----Glastron--------Fletcher-------family type stuff that made profits for builders and dealers.

I'm certain Mercury didn't buy all those boatbuilders with a view to putting a T4 on their tail, think it was the numbers game------OMC had a large number of lumps in the Bayliners--'till Mercury did a Remington.

Every single producer of circuit race boats suffered transom failures with the V8. Don't matter whether it was Molinari/Velden/ Burgess or Hodges, they didn't seem to be able to cater for the weight and pure grunt of it.

Just look at history for a record of the carnage. !!!!!!!!!!

Rotary John
05-24-2011, 06:05 AM
Question to those involved. I have heard the drivers capsule was a result of all the serious crashes with V-8's on the back and Merc and OMC jointly funded its development.

Lars Strom
05-24-2011, 06:27 AM
Question to those involved. I have heard the drivers capsule was a result of all the serious crashes with V-8's on the back and Merc and OMC jointly funded its development.

After the 1984 F1-V8 season OMC gave money to Velden and Hodges to develop
a safety cell for the class.

http://www.motorboatmuseum.org.uk/collections/safety.php

In 1985 there was more boats in the F1-V8 serien with safety cells then with out.
I drove a brand new Velden with safety cell in Belgium's GP 1985.

BTW..
Normally the Burgess F1-V8 boats did not have a transom problem.

Well..except this one..The transom with the Mercs fell of in the F1-V8 race in London 1984..:)

T2x
05-24-2011, 06:47 AM

Bernie Little started the capsules when he put F-16 canopies on his Unlimiteds in 1985. We had the first set in Offshore ready for installation on our 35" Conquest Cat, Jesse James in late 1986, when the owner/throttleman, Mark Lavin, was killed in a stuff at Key West. Following that the Lavin Foundation was started at a meeting including GG, Bob Nordskog, George Linder, me, Dr Matt Houghton, some engineers from Bell Helmets, Lifeline, and other safety product vendors. The cockpit safety standards and construction techniques followed within 12 months of that meeting and included tunnel boat cockpit specs developed in Europe. I don't recall OMC and Mercury funding that but somebody paid to have a Hodges cell dropped from a helo.

T2x

Rotary John
05-24-2011, 07:29 AM
TX2: If I read your post correctly it was 87 that capsules were on F1 outboards, yet Lars say he drove a capsule boat in 85 and 1/2 the boats on the circuit were capsule. Or was it the standards you were refering to in 87? I believe reading some where Strang saying OMC and Merc both gave money for capsule development.

Lars Strom
05-24-2011, 07:36 AM
Again...OMC helped Velden and Hodges with money to develop a safety cell/cockpit late 1984 and was used in the F1-V8 serie in 1985..

Bob Spalding and Bertil Wik was the two first F1-V8 boats with safety cells 1985..

Lars Strom
05-24-2011, 07:53 AM
This is Bob Spaldings F1-V8 Hodges boat with safety cell . Year 1985..

Lars Strom
05-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Well..Skater Cats used Evinrude XP V8 power also..
This is my Skater 32.

jackie wilson
05-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Again...OMC helped Velden and Hodges with money to develop a safety cell/cockpit late 1984 and was used in the F1-V8 serie in 1985..

Bob Spalding and Bertil Wik was the two first F1-V8 boats with safety cells 1985..

How come you guys make statements and THEN ask the questions, and as for OMC and Mercury funding the development of the safety cell----YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS !!!!!!!

Let's go back to the beginning. Spalding ---Percival---and Hodges with OMC big bucks, formed a race team with Hodges being the manager ----cum boatbuilder, and Bob and Tom the drivers. Tom had a biggie in Liegge and died a week later.

Hodges was devastated-------and set about making the sport safer. He had already worked with the formula one cars at Nicholson McClaren and had built safety cells for them with great success.
SOOOOO with his own money, and no financial help from anyone, he got to work on building the cell as we know it today. He wanted it tested to destruction-so he dropped it from a helicopter from about 100' -it stayed intact and did not damage the mannequin which was strapped in was unharmed. There were many sceptics ---so Hodges strapped himself inside and was dropped . It was a success.

Meanwhile there were other efforts being made by Velden working with one of the universities in Holland-but he kept getting bogged down and was asking Hodges for advice which he gave him free of charge.

Another route was being taken by Bill Brown [ex Cosworth director] he HAD funding from the UIM and was working with alluminum. It all came to a juddering halt when he dropped the mannequin from the chopper and killed it a couple of times . [ the dummy was on loan from the british car industry and was full of sensors and trick **** and cost thousands to make].

Parkinson and Fred Hauenstein got together and squeezed a couple of thousand out of Mercury to help Chris with the escalating cost of the cell. THAT WAS THE ONLY CASH HE EVER GOT FOR THE CELL.

He GAVE the design, and the drawings, and the methods, and the know how for free to anyone who built race boats. He never made a red cent out of the deal.

What really pisses me off is the fact that if the 2 factories gave him a million apiece-----It still would not have been enough to compensate for all his own bloody efforts [ OBE ] his innovation saved countless lives.

So NOOOOOO ---NOOOOOO- a thousand times NO ----- OMC and MERCURY were not in any way -shape or form instrumental in the creation of the safety cell.

Lars was right in the fact that Spalding and Erickson were the first 2 drivers with cells. think the swede took Percy's place in the team.

All i want is for the world to recognise the fact that Hodges thought of it ----made it---and gave it to the world.

jackie wilson
05-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Well..Skater Cats used Evinrude XP V8 power also..
This is my Skater 32.

Dropped a clanger didn't i Lasse-----------'twasn't Erickson----------it was Bertil Wik, Been waiting all my life to get something wrong -----and i just did.

Incidentally the safety cell was not enough to save Bob when he sank the boat with him in it for too long a time in Seville. He suffered brain damage and was never the same guy again. He married Jilly Percival and was happy for a while---but he couldn't keep his zipper fastened for long and was given the big E.
Great character and we were great friends for many years.His kids and mine are still friends 40 years on.

T2x
05-24-2011, 10:18 AM
TX2: If I read your post correctly it was 87 that capsules were on F1 outboards, yet Lars say he drove a capsule boat in 85 and 1/2 the boats on the circuit were capsule. Or was it the standards you were refering to in 87? I believe reading some where Strang saying OMC and Merc both gave money for capsule development.

I was referring to the standards. We put small individual OPC sized capsules in the Jesse James cockpit in 1986 and they were modeled after the early tunnel hull versions, but they offered no real head protection. It was only after the canopies came on the scene that true capsule technology began in earnest......at least in the Offshore and Unlimited circles. I don't dispute Jackie's version that Hodges was the prime mover in his OPC hulls, but there were many efforts going on simultaneously on our side of the pond. Bernie LIttle came at it as a result of his own driver fatalities and injuries..... We simply picked up on Bernie's efforts and advanced the bar. In the end all of the various technologies wound up under the auspices of the Lavin Foundation (founded in Mark's memory) which are the basis for much of today's UIM standards.

T2x

Lars Strom
05-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Dropped a clanger didn't i Lasse-----------'twasn't Erickson----------it was Bertil Wik, Been waiting all my life to get something wrong -----and i just did.

Incidentally the safety cell was not enough to save Bob when he sank the boat with him in it for too long a time in Seville. He suffered brain damage and was never the same guy again. He married Jilly Percival and was happy for a while---but he couldn't keep his zipper fastened for long and was given the big E.
Great character and we were great friends for many years.His kids and mine are still friends 40 years on.

First Jackie..I think you are doing very, very good with boat racing memories..
I hope I do as good in your age..

Jepp..I remember so well that said day late 1985 in Sevilla, Spain.. I was standing there on the dock with Jill..
We all understood that it took to long time to get Bob out of the safety cockpit when the
boat was upside down..
I think it was under practice..not the race..

On top of that..Bob was already the F1 World Champ 1985..before the start of the last race ..He did not really need to race in Sevilla...
That was also the last F1-V8 race in Europe..

One more thing..It was very hard to deal with OMC as a boat race driver...
Much better as a exclusive Evinrude dealer..

Even better as a Race driver and the top exlusive Evinrude dealer..
I am going to put together a story about that soon..

Are you still living over there in France where everything smells garlic..??:)

jackie wilson
05-24-2011, 10:58 AM
First Jackie..I think you are doing very, very good with boat racing memories..
I hope I do as good in your age..

Jepp..I remember so well that said day late 1985 in Sevilla, Spain.. I was standing there on the dock with Jill..
We all understood that it took to long time to get Bob out of the safety cockpit when the
boat was upside down..
I think it was under practice..not the race..

On top of that..Bob was already the F1 World Champ 1985..before the start of the last race ..He did not really need to race in Sevilla...

That was also the last F1-V8 race in Europe..

One more thing..It was very hard to deal with OMC as a Boat race driver...
Much better as a exclusive Evinrude dealer..

Even better as a Race driver and the top exlusive Evinrude dealer..
I am going to put together a story about that soon..

Are you still living over there in France where everything smells garlic..??:)

No i live in the south of France where the sun shines for 300 days a year and you can drink wine for 365 days a year----------where it's still daylight at 10.30 pm during june july and august.
Garlic is great in the right place, and i enjoy village life and all my french neighbours and french kids who come to the workshop-wanting their tyres pumped up and saddles raised. Water temperature for the summer is between 25 and 30 c . Can you tell me why we have such a massive Swedish community here.?????????????
Could it be the same reason you live in Florida ??????????? Hey Lang Go. !!!!!!!!!

Lars Strom
05-24-2011, 11:04 AM
??????????? Hey Lang Go. !!!!!!!!!

Hehe Jackie..be careful with that stuff...I can not drink it..make me stupid...Well..more stupid..:)

Again..Paris 6 hours was my favorite race...Raced there 11 times and is dreaming of standing in the Eiffel tower looking at the 2012 Paris 6 hours...

Make it possible Jackie....!!!

Lars Strom
05-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Jackie..I think you like this picture..

Mr. Bill and me at a fishing tournament Lake Truman two years ago..free Bud Light..!!
I have a few more..

jackie wilson
05-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Jackie..I think you like this picture..

Mr. Bill and me at a fishing tournament Lake Truman two years ago..free Bud Light..!!
I have a few more..

Have been friends with Billy for over 40 years---saw him at the old farts in Jupiter last year along with Stickle and Serra and Brett May and a bunch of other old idjits..

Yes i do like the picture Lasse.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jackie wilson
05-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Hehe Jackie..be careful with that stuff...I can not drink it..make me stupid...Well..more stupid..:)

Again..Paris 6 hours was my favorite race...Raced there 11 times and is dreaming of standing in the Eiffel tower looking at the 2012 Paris 6 hours...

Make it possible Jackie....!!!

Raced Paris over 20 times in 30 years first time was late 50's in a ROCCA with a JOHNSON with John Derrington who built Derry boats with John Iddon.

Paris stands alone in powerboat history along with Msr. Bladinaire .

jackie wilson
05-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Raced Paris over 20 times in 30 years first time was late 50's in a ROCCA with a JOHNSON with John Derrington who built Derry boats with John Iddon.

Paris stands alone in powerboat history along with Msr. Bladinaire .

This is for T2X------ Had a long chat with my friend and Mechanic Chas Shooter-------he has in his Garage--
1----302 small block Keith Black Ford motor and several boxes of crane cams that he took out of the KT boat i bought off GG. apparently its the only motor to put in a Shelby Cobra and is as rare as rocking horse sh-t.

Thought that might cause your taste buds to flutter.

T2x
05-24-2011, 12:02 PM
This is for T2X------ Had a long chat with my friend and Mechanic Chas Shooter-------he has in his Garage--
1----302 small block Keith Black Ford motor and several boxes of crane cams that he took out of the KT boat i bought off GG. apparently its the only motor to put in a Shelby Cobra and is as rare as rocking horse sh-t.

Thought that might cause your taste buds to flutter.

Now all you need is the Cobra..........

Mark Poole
05-24-2011, 03:29 PM
I have a tech question about the F-1 V-8 tunnel boats that you guys might can shed some light on. All of those oversize tunnels that were built for the V-8's had FLAT top decks. Now, I race RC tunnel boats and the flat deck principle just don't work. Without any "droop" in the front half of the deck and some taper in the rear half, our RC race boats will not stay on the water. Kinda like slinging a sheet of plywood into the wind, once the angle goes positive it turns skyward. Did these boats have so much power that they just kept the boats on the water with neutral or negative prop trim?

Jackie, I have a copy of the racing history book by Kevin Desmond and enjoyed reading your stories about the Cosworth boat!

Mark

Lee Sutter
05-24-2011, 05:37 PM
How come you guys make statements and THEN ask the questions, and as for OMC and Mercury funding the development of the safety cell----YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS !!!!!!!

Let's go back to the beginning. Spalding ---Percival---and Hodges with OMC big bucks, formed a race team with Hodges being the manager ----cum boatbuilder, and Bob and Tom the drivers. Tom had a biggie in Liegge and died a week later.

Hodges was devastated-------and set about making the sport safer. He had already worked with the formula one cars at Nicholson McClaren and had built safety cells for them with great success.
SOOOOO with his own money, and no financial help from anyone, he got to work on building the cell as we know it today. He wanted it tested to destruction-so he dropped it from a helicopter from about 100' -it stayed intact and did not damage the mannequin which was strapped in was unharmed. There were many sceptics ---so Hodges strapped himself inside and was dropped . It was a success.

Meanwhile there were other efforts being made by Velden working with one of the universities in Holland-but he kept getting bogged down and was asking Hodges for advice which he gave him free of charge.

Another route was being taken by Bill Brown [ex Cosworth director] he HAD funding from the UIM and was working with alluminum. It all came to a juddering halt when he dropped the mannequin from the chopper and killed it a couple of times . [ the dummy was on loan from the british car industry and was full of sensors and trick **** and cost thousands to make].

Parkinson and Fred Hauenstein got together and squeezed a couple of thousand out of Mercury to help Chris with the escalating cost of the cell. THAT WAS THE ONLY CASH HE EVER GOT FOR THE CELL.

He GAVE the design, and the drawings, and the methods, and the know how for free to anyone who built race boats. He never made a red cent out of the deal.

What really pisses me off is the fact that if the 2 factories gave him a million apiece-----It still would not have been enough to compensate for all his own bloody efforts [ OBE ] his innovation saved countless lives.

So NOOOOOO ---NOOOOOO- a thousand times NO ----- OMC and MERCURY were not in any way -shape or form instrumental in the creation of the safety cell.

Lars was right in the fact that Spalding and Erickson were the first 2 drivers with cells. think the swede took Percy's place in the team.

All i want is for the world to recognise the fact that Hodges thought of it ----made it---and gave it to the world.

Jackie,

I raced with Tom Percival at Paris in 1976 and 1977 in the John Player Special and he raced on Lake Havasu and in Philadephia in Dr. Phil Wagner's boat sponsored by Colman's English Mustard in 1979 or '80. During that time frame, Tom sent me drawings of a Safety Cell that Chris Hodges was developing. I think these drawings were published by Powerboat and Waterskiing magazine.

Anyway, I glad you are shinning a light on the people responsible for the brilliant creation of the safety cell.

Lee

Ron Hill
05-24-2011, 07:02 PM
Does anyone actually have a list of those who died driving V-8 OMC's?

Note to Rotary John RE OMC Boat Companies....

Hanging around OMC in the PRE BOAT COMPANY DAYS, I as a young Californian who had no experience in high finance or the real world of business,,,,asked Jim Briggs, "Why would you buy a boat business for several million when you could start it again for a few thousand?"

His answer was, "OMC is debt free and we are target for a take over by investors. Therefore, we need to be in debt so we don't get taken over,," I said, 'YULP...give me another martini...

I think OMC was run by a group of "ARROGANT" rich people that had never really made a dime in their lives. So when some "GURU" told them they should do this and that , they did it..... Maybe, they should have asked Roger Penske...

Jimmy Jost was Evinrude's PR man. He loaned out and sold "MEMO" motors to MOD VP Racers...At Havasu we had 30 Evinrudes racing MOD VP..Jost had sold or given most of them. Evinrudes were selling like crazy out west...So...at Havasu, Mercury brings out a "HOT MOTOR"...30 Evinrudes and one Mercury.... Mercury didn't win....but that was politics....

Had everyone continued to race Evinrude 235's in MOD VP we'd had NASCAR in boats.....Instead Mercury build ONE fast motor and Evinrude built one fast motor, soon we had two boats racing MOD VP!The bottom LINE is you don't need to race "TRICK" motors...you need a level playing field...

I'm hoping Jake's new Johnson Racing E-Tec motors level the field here in America...Even E-Tec motors with carbs, could be a great class...

Lars Strom
05-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Oh, how fast did Jimbo and Jeff Brown go in Mod-50?
Lee

I do not know how fast they where going over here in Mod 50..
If I remember right Mod 50 had some limitations and gasoline only.

In Europe we raced OE-F3 and one of my better boats with the most powerful Evinrude CC engine..Methanol, special gearcase with one pinion only set up for sprint race..

Molinari/Volvo Penta-König #40... 110+ MPH already 1977

Burgess/Evinrude CC #1 105-110 MPH 1982..five years later..

Lars Strom
05-24-2011, 07:29 PM

Hi Ron..
I dont think there is a list..but I remember every one of them..

What race and year..I can make a list.

Lars Strom
05-24-2011, 09:02 PM

Hi again Ron..

Here is a list of deadly accidents with the OMC F1 -V8 boats..The way I remember it.

1981..Racing with the OMC V8 started in Brodenbach/Löf, Germany
No deadly accidents that year.

1982 ..Late that year there was a bad accident in Italy..Idroscala..
Carlo Maria Columbo driving Renato Molinaris aluminum boat crashed with Guido Caimi in his Velden boat..Guido Caimi passed a way.

1983.. No deadly accidents..Well..I nose dived with my Burgess-Aspen boat "wide open" in Liege, Belgium..Hurt myself bad..spent time at the hospital.

1984..This was the bad year...Den Bosch, Holland..Luigi Valdano, Italy crashed in the race and past a way.

Next race in Paris, France a new French man crashed at testing and passed a way..
I think his name was Gerard Barthelemy

Another driver from Italy crashed testing at home and passed a way..
I think his name was Saverio Roberto

In Liege, Belguim Tom Percival and Fabritzio Bocca crashed and we lost Tom Percival. That accident was at the same place as "my nose dive" the year before.

1985..In the last race Sevilla, Spain..Bob Spalding was seriously injured in a practice crash and died years later.

R.I.P.

jackie wilson
05-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Hi again Ron..

Here is a list of deadly accidents with the OMC F1 -V8 boats..The way I remember it.

1981..Racing with the OMC V8 started in Brodenbach/Löf, Germany
No deadly accidents that year.

1982 ..Late that year there was a bad accident in Italy..Idroscala..
Carlo Maria Columbo driving Renato Molinaris aluminum boat crashed with Guido Caimi in his Velden boat..Guido Caimi passed a way.

1983.. No deadly accidents..Well..I nose dived with my Burgess-Aspen boat "wide open" in Liege, Belgium..Hurt myself bad..spent time at the hospital.

1984..This was the bad year...Den Bosch, Holland..Luigi Valdano, Italy crashed in the race and past a way.

Next race in Paris, France a new French man crashed at testing and passed a way..
I think his name was Bertelome.

Another driver from Italy crashed testing at home and passed a way..
I think his name was Saverio Roberto

In Liege, Belguim Tom Percival and Fabritzio Bocca crashed and we lost Tom Percival. That acciden was at the same place as my nose dive the year before.

1985..In the last race Sevilla, Spain..Bob Spalding was seriously injured in a practice crash and died years later.

R.I.P.

The list of badly injured and maimed is even longer----------tell 'em Lasse !!!!!!!!!

jackie wilson
05-24-2011, 11:07 PM

Note to Rotary John RE OMC Boat Companies....

Hanging around OMC in the PRE BOAT COMPANY DAYS, I as a young Californian who had no experience in high finance or the real world of business,,,,asked Jim Briggs, "Why would you buy a boat business for several million when you could start it again for a few thousand?"

His answer was, "OMC is debt free and we are target for a take over by investors. Therefore, we need to be in debt so we don't get taken over,," I said, 'YULP...give me another martini...

I think OMC was run by a group of "ARROGANT" rich people that had never really made a dime in their lives. So when some "GURU" told them they should do this and that , they did it..... Maybe, they should have asked Roger Penske...

Jimmy Jost was Evinrude's PR man. He loaned out and sold "MEMO" motors to MOD VP Racers...At Havasu we had 30 Evinrudes racing MOD VP..Jost had sold or given most of them. Evinrudes were selling like crazy out west...So...at Havasu, Mercury brings out a "HOT MOTOR"...30 Evinrudes and one Mercury.... Mercury didn't win....but that was politics....

Had everyone continued to race Evinrude 235's in MOD VP we'd had NASCAR in boats.....Instead Mercury build ONE fast motor and Evinrude built one fast motor, soon we had two boats racing MOD VP!The bottom LINE is you don't need to race "TRICK" motors...you need a level playing field...

I'm hoping Jake's new Johnson Racing E-Tec motors level the field here in America...Even E-Tec motors with carbs, could be a great class....

Finally Ron,---the penny drops-----LEVEL PLAYING FIELD-------same for everyone.
The Japs have been doing it for years---------20 identical hydros in a marine stadium.
After the first heat, all the drivers draw numbers for which boat they will run.
Same again for the next heat---huge amounts are bet at these events , and they are televised. If i remember rightly--they are mostly run in the evening , for maximum exposure.
\
The FONDA series was fairly OK-----But being a UIM -O series meant the engine and hull could be fiddled with----which is not what i wanted----------but Mercury supplied the motors so the series was a development exercise for Oshkosh.

Don't have to be one manufacturer-----just give them a tight formula----- give the boatbuilders a set of parameters and make it stick for 2 years before anything can be altered . Pump fuel and a rev limiter and a swift kick up the jacksie for rulebenders the first time--------then 2 strikes and your out.

All it takes is something that's been lacking for years in our sport---COMMON SENSE>

Would any sane person think of a class where there are no engine limits--------so you could put 10,000 HP on the rear if you wanted---------- MULTIPLE ENGINES no hull limitations--------any kind of fuel--- in fact no COMMON SENSE.

The class exists today----------it's called --------------OZ.

jackie wilson
05-25-2011, 03:50 AM
I have a tech question about the F-1 V-8 tunnel boats that you guys might can shed some light on. All of those oversize tunnels that were built for the V-8's had FLAT top decks. Now, I race RC tunnel boats and the flat deck principle just don't work. Without any "droop" in the front half of the deck and some taper in the rear half, our RC race boats will not stay on the water. Kinda like slinging a sheet of plywood into the wind, once the angle goes positive it turns skyward. Did these boats have so much power that they just kept the boats on the water with neutral or negative prop trim?

Jackie, I have a copy of the racing history book by Kevin Desmond and enjoyed reading your stories about the Cosworth boat!

Mark

Sorry Mark whilst i am not a boatbuilder --seems to me the more power you got the further forward you sat and the angle of dangle was reduced so the lump did not waste any horsepower pushing you back down------heard some wonderful variations on the curves and twists in a tunnel ---Double diahedral ----s tunnel----double s tunnel. Think the idea was to put as little curve in the deck that it didn't snap at you all of a sudden -------but not too much 'cos you would have a slower boat----------------how's that for a bit of bulls--t baffling brains ???????????

Kevin D has another good book---A CENTURY OF OUTBOARD RACING------

He was like a ferret trying to find all the info he could from all sources.
Bedford Davies helped him with the cost of publishing.

T2x
05-25-2011, 04:31 AM

In Europe we raced OE-F3 and one of my better boats with the most powerful Evinrude CC engine..Methanol, special gearcase with one pinion only set up for sprint race..

Lars:

Interesting to see the Molinari/Konig in 1977. Didn't OMC have some form of exclusive agreement with Molinari, or was that only in the US?

Lars Strom
05-25-2011, 04:48 AM
Lars:

Interesting to see the Molinari/Konig in 1977. Didn't OMC have some form of exclusive agreement with Molinari, or was that only in the US?

Hehe.. T2x..That is a very good question...

No..I was suppose to use an Evinrude for my new Molinari OE-F3 boat, but was so upset with OMC. Left them and signed a very good deal with Volvo Penta in Sweden to race for
V-P/König..1977.

Renato was extremely angry and wanted the boat back..
Well I paid for it..
There is much more about all this on my Racing stories thread here at Boatracingfacts.
Starts at post # 200

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6727&page=20

Lars Strom
05-25-2011, 05:01 AM
The list of badly injured and maimed is even longer----------tell 'em Lasse !!!!!!!!!

Jackie..Here is a starting list from F1-V8 1983..
I don't know of any with badly injuries.

EDIT..
..sorry I do..

Jimbo McConnell..I visit Jimbo a few years ago in Needles, CA.
We had a really good time and Jimbo took us to an old town in the mountains where
Western movies was recorded years a go.
I also watch Jimbo crashing his RC air planes..:)
We stayed a few days there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cees Van der Velden is not with us anymore.. Cees died in cancer a few years ago.
Francois Salabert died in a racing accident later with a 2 liter Merc
Same with Kicco Vidoli..well Offshore crash with Merc.

Roger Jenkins lives in Spain. I did see Nicola Mora in Florida a few years ago.
Renato is putting on weight..Arthur Mostert is fine. I do not know what Ricky Frost is living today.
Andy bullen is missing..maybe somewhere here in the US.

Lars Strom
05-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Here is a pretty good video from the Stockholm GP 1983
All this was on Swedish News television..

Sorry for speaking Swedish..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eTjmgb6zac

Lars Strom
05-25-2011, 06:53 AM
Check this out...safety cockpits with crash boxes has come a long way...
Think about this crash the way we raced F1-V8 boats..behind two layers of fiberglass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UylWSQjJYw

jackie wilson
05-25-2011, 08:06 AM
Check this out...safety cockpits with crash boxes has come a long way...
Think about this crash the way we raced F1-V8 boats..behind two layers of fiberglass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CRfpa3Wjzc&feature=player_embedded

Lasse ------you surprise me when you say you only had 2 layers of fibreglass.
The Hodges Cell was constructed with high tech composites and carbon fibre and kevlar, right from the word go. Whose hull were you running ???????

Lars Strom
05-25-2011, 08:13 AM
I mean before safety cells..My Burgess boat (on the picture to the left) did not have any safety..only 2 layers of fiberglass in the boat cowling in front of the driver.
Model year 1984 and older..

Lars Strom
05-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Jackie..last yar I went to a Boat racers party in Naples..invited by Mr. Bill.
Here is som picture..I think you like..

My wife Carina is to the right at the first one..The rest speaks for them self..

Lars Strom
05-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Well..check again..they are there now..
Here is two more..

The next day we went boating with the Seebolds..
More pictures coming

Lars Strom
05-25-2011, 08:56 AM
First a stop at Mr. Bills race shop outside Naples..
Mike just installed the new outboard for the Parker 25CC
The Seebold family is not using the outboard you think..

jackie wilson
05-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Jackie..Here is a starting list from F1-V8 1983..
I don't know of any with badly injuries.

EDIT..
..sorry I do..

We had a really good time and Jimbo took us to an old town in the mountains where

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cees Van der Velden is not with us anymore.. Cees died in cancer a few years ago.
Francois Salabert died in a racing accident later with a 2 liter Merc
Same with Kicco Vidoli..well Offshore crash with Merc.

Roger Jenkins lives in Spain. I did see Nicola Mora in Florida a few years ago.
Renato is putting on weight..Arthur Mostert is fine. I do not know what Ricky Frost is living today.
Andy bullen is missing..maybe somewhere here in the US.

How about Marshall------E class english driver with no experience over 850cc. Never should have been given a super licence. ????? But then again neither should Rick Frost---or at least 6 others who were there to make up numbers.
Did you ever race anything above E class before you went up to OZ.
I dislike calling it F1----mainly because it never was a formula.!!!!!!!!!!! Open ended class open to only OMC goods as they were calling the shots.
At least in the FONDA series if it was 2 litres -you could race it---regardless of creed or colour.

Lars Strom
05-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Mr. Bills toy on 4 wheels..we are heading to the Marco Island boat ramp..

Ready to go..My wife Carina and Mikes wife.

jackie wilson
05-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Mr. Bills toy on 4 wheels..we are heading to the Marco Island boat ramp..

Ready to go..My wife Carina and Mikes wife.

Billy only bought it because it was baby crap yellow and the guy had no other takers and it was cheap.!!!!!!!!!

Always did have the hots for Lori ------she 's still a great looking kid------
Your missus is not too shabby either Lasse.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See you had a real bunch of old farts there, Anderson------Sutter------Serra Hauser and "whatsisface" the blondie commentator ----damn it never could remember his name and a whole bunch of "neer do wells".

Just wish i could have been there--------maybe next time !!!!!!!!

Lars Strom
05-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Did you ever race anything above E class before you went up to OZ.

Absolutly Jackie...

You like this..

I raced ON...with an OMC 2 liter..1978.
Molinaris Saffa boat at Idroscalo ended up second after Renato but ahead of Cees and a few Mercs..

In Paris 6 Hours same year 2.4 liter V-6 OMC in the OZ class..Angelo Vassena and I finished
third if I remenber right..
...but my Argo Cat 18 with a 2,4 liter V-6 235 hp was the most difficult boat of them all to drive.
110 MPH on open water..class called Z..good up to 3 liter..
A few overall wins in Scandinavia..Same year 1978.
Race # Z-1

jackie wilson
05-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Absolutly Jackie...

You like this..

I raced ON...with an OMC 2 liter..1978.
Molinaris Saffa boat at Idroscalo ended up second after Renato but ahead of Cees and a few Mercs..

In Paris 6 Hours same year 2.4 liter V-6 OMC in the OZ class..Angelo Vassena and I finished
third if I remenber right..
...but my Argo Cat 18 with a 2,4 liter V-6 235 hp was the most difficult boat of them all to drive.
110 MPH on open water..class called Z..good up to 3 liter..
A few overall wins in Scandinavia..Same year 1978.
Race # Z-1

THANKS FOR THAT LASSE ----------Loved Angelo Vassena------worked with him at Oggiono translating the Carniti Manuals into English...
My daughter and her husband Steve moved to Oggiono when Steve got a job with Fabbio Bootsie . Mark was already working for Rolla just across the border in Lugano.

Lars Strom
05-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Carina and Leo Molendijk outside Mr. Bill´s F1 Champboat Team.
The St. Louis Race, MO 2008

Lee Sutter
05-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Billy only bought it because it was baby crap yellow and the guy had no other takers and it was cheap.!!!!!!!!!

Always did have the hots for Lori ------she 's still a great looking kid------
Your missus is not too shabby either Lasse.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See you had a real bunch of old farts there, Anderson------Sutter------Serra Hauser and "whatsisface" the blondie commentator ----damn it never could remember his name and a whole bunch of "neer do wells".

Just wish i could have been there--------maybe next time !!!!!!!!

Jackie,

You should attend the party! In fact, we can get a golf game together with Mr. Bill and Ron Anderson the day of the party. Seeing as we would be guests of their club, we can take them on for a few bucks and tons of bragging rights. I don't know the date yet, but it was early January this year. Of course Seebold wants tons of strokes and he will bitch like a baby until he gets his way.

You should bring Mark too!

Lee

jackie wilson
05-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Carina and Leo Molendijk outside Mr. Bill´s F1 Champboat Team.
The St. Louis Race, MO 2008

Had many a good night out with Leo. Worked for Velden and then Bill. On and off

Lars Strom
05-25-2011, 11:12 AM
The Naples party and Angelo Vassena.

Lee Sutter
05-25-2011, 11:23 AM

Lars,

OMG...The US Mod-50's didn't go close to those speeds. But, No methanol, no nitro, no Konigs and pretty heavy rigs. How much power did you have and what kind of revs did it turn? Was the Volvo Konig an external rotary valve 3 cylinder engine?

Lee

jackie wilson
05-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Jackie,

You should attend the party! In fact, we can get a golf game together with Mr. Bill and Ron Anderson the day of the party. Seeing as we would be guests of their club, we can take them on for a few bucks and tons of bragging rights. I don't know the date yet, but it was early January this year. Of course Seebold wants tons of strokes and he will bitch like a baby until he gets his way.

You should bring Mark too!

Lee

Hey Lee, Make it around the end of January next year------will be there for my 80th, will bring Mark and Craig and Lou and Gary [rat bag] Jilly and Vick.

Bill always bitches !!!!!!!!!!!!

jackie wilson
05-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Lars,

OMG...The US Mod-50's didn't go close to those speeds. But, No methanol, no nitro, no Konigs and pretty heavy rigs. How much power did you have and what kind of revs did it turn? Was the Volvo Konig an external rotary valve 3 cylinder engine?

Lee

Think the 110+ mph. was a bit like a French mile----a tad stretched----even on Windermere at the speed trials the hot OE'S were in the low 90's, But i never saw or heard of Lasse's rig before, so could get a bloody nose on this one.
The OZ record in 77 was not as quick as that, are you pulling our plonkers Lasse ?????

Lee Sutter
05-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Hey Lee, Make it around the end of January next year------will be there for my 80th, will bring Mark and Craig and Lou and Gary [rat bag] Jilly and Vick.

Bill always bitches !!!!!!!!!!!!

Jackie, Great idea!!! That would be fantastic...I'll get the ball rolling and get back to you soon. Of course, the organizers are old as dirt and cranky as hell, so I'll have to make it their idea. More to follow.
Lee

Lars Strom
05-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Think the 110+ mph. was a bit like a French mile----a tad stretched----even on Windermere at the speed trials the hot OE'S were in the low 90's, But i never saw or heard of Lasse's rig before, so could get a bloody nose on this one.
The OZ record in 77 was not as quick as that, are you pulling our plonkers Lasse ?????

Hehe..I answer Lee here to..

The small picture show the engine design..

Well..the V-P König was extremly powerful and both Gert Lowisin and Dieter König was
behind me.
We spent many weeks testing different things at the Konig factory.
Lots of horse power running on Methanol.
We did not use nitro..
During a race.. the speed was way lower..but at testing under perfect conditions, flat water, big prop,
flying the boat and over 10,000 RPM took you there..
There was a reason for the four OMC OE boats to stay on the trailer in the pit at the OE World Championship race in Brodenbach 1977..then protesting the race to UIM..

Lars Strom
05-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Jackie..what is your memory from this race..??

The ON and OE World Championship race in Auronzo, Italy 1976

T2x
05-25-2011, 01:01 PM
I wasn't meaning custom built raceboats----------but production line, everyday, take granny for a spin pleasure boats. ie; Baggies -----Glastron--------Fletcher-------family type stuff that made profits for builders and dealers.

Jackie:

Between us and Chris Craft, who built a later variant of the design (The "Chris Cat"), there were as many pleasure boat versions of the Shadow Cat hull as race boats....and we sold through dealers who made nice profits on them as well.

The bottom line is that there were a host of hulls (Center Consoles, Offshore fishing hulls, cruisers, etc) capable of handling the big OB's but the factories could not/did not produce a proper product........ and I believe the mega motors' demise had more to do with that than the fatalities in tunnel boat racing. If you look at the monsters coming out today from Yamaha and others and the boats they are installed on (big CC's), nothing is really new forward of the motor.

T2x

Lars Strom
05-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Jackie:

The bottom line is that there were a host of hulls (Center Consoles, Offshore fishing hulls, cruisers, etc) capable of handling the big OB's but the factories could not/did not produce a proper product........ and I believe the mega motors' demise had more to do with that than the fatalities in tunnel boat racing. If you look at the monsters coming out today from Yamaha and others and the boats they are installed on (big CC's), nothing is really new forward of the motor.

T2x

I agree 100%..We sold lots of big OMC outboards in the eighties.
V-6 and V-8..
Yes..there was quality issues.:)

Edit..Some Swedish built boats for bigger outboards..Yes outboars sold by me..

jackie wilson
05-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Jackie..what is your memory from this race..??

The ON and OE World Championship race in Auronzo, Italy 1976

I remember Mark my son chasing Renato all through the pits threatening to beat his brains out----------He was about 20 years old and had just had a hole put in his boat with a bit of devious driving from the Italian. Renato hid in the truck and refused to come out-------His brother Giorgio took the boat to the top end of the lake and Renato jumped on his motorcycle and got in the boat where he was safe from a very angry young man. MTF.

Lars Strom
05-25-2011, 02:03 PM
I remember Mark my son chasing Renato all through the pits threatening to beat his brains out----------He was about 20 years old and had just had a hole put in his boat with a bit of devious driving from the Italian. Renato hid in the truck and refused to come out-------His brother Giorgio took the boat to the top end of the lake and Renato jumped on his motorcycle and got in the boat where he was safe from a very angry young man. MTF.

Hehe Jackie..I have some memory of that..but here is more..

This was also the first time I did see Renato Molinari play real dirty, well not really Renato but his second boat driven by the hired Zoppi..
He sank Cees VD Velden driving a 2 liter OMC on purpose by running in to his boat before the start just in front of us at the far end of the race course.

Molinari ended up winning both OE and ON at that race, but not really in a proper way. (ON)

So I have seen stuff that you only get away with in Italy..:)

Lars Strom
05-25-2011, 02:33 PM
I dislike calling it F1----mainly because it never was a formula.!!!!!!!!!!! Open ended class open to only OMC goods as they were calling the shots.

Well..Jackie..there was plenty of Mercs in the OZ class..all the way up to T-4..
For example..Bristol 1979 and 1980.

Maybe this is the right Fomula...:)

Lars Strom
05-25-2011, 02:53 PM

Jackie..I finally found a picture of my "production line, everyday, take granny for a spin pleasure boat" Fletcher from 1986..
This was my own toy that summer..
Yes, it is the Evinrude V-8 with OMC power steering.

EDIT..
Here is the right and much longer video from the Stockholm F1 V8 Race 1983/84

Rotary John
05-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Hehe Jackie..I have some memory of that..but here is more..

This was also the first time I did see Renato Molinari play real dirty, well not really Renato but his second boat driven by the hired Zoppi..
He sank Cees VD Velden driving a 2 liter OMC on purpose by running in to his boat before the start just in front of us at the far end of the race course.

Molinari ended up winning both OE and ON at that race, but not really in a proper way. (ON)

So I have seen stuff that you only get away with in Italy..:)

Lars: you must not have been in St. Louis in '75 as Molinari tried his damnest to put Barry Woods out of the race. Woods finally got pissed and ran over Molinari. I still remember the prop cuts in the top of his boat. Merc had him disqualidied for reckless driving which cost him the race.

Rotary John
05-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Jackie..I finally found a picture of my "production line, everyday, take granny for a spin pleasure boat" Fletcher from 1986..
Lars: your granny must have had brass b*** to ride in that rig with you. It had to be some ride.

jackie wilson
05-25-2011, 09:51 PM

EDIT..
Here is the right and much longer video from the Stockholm F1 V8 Race 1983/84

Yeah Yeah Yeah Lasse------But your a Swede and that was Sweden and you were just daft enough to do it
Bit like putting a 50 Koenig on a 6' canoe !!!!!!!!!!

jackie wilson
05-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Well..Jackie..there was plenty of Mercs in the OZ class..all the way up to T-4..

Yes Lasse--but only if they could get past the court injunctions and bloody stupid politics that were running rife in the sport at that time.

Remember Seebold and his antics at Bristol when Leo swopped the powerhead in about 4 minutes and put the whole fleet of V8's behind him with a stretched 2 litre.

I know it was the early version of the V8-----i've heard it all before

jackie wilson
05-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Yes Lasse--but only if they could get past the court injunctions and bloody stupid politics that were running rife in the sport at that time.

Remember Seebold and his antics at Bristol when Leo swopped the powerhead in about 4 minutes and put the whole fleet of V8's behind him with a stretched 2 litre.

OMC had threatened not to run at Bristol if Charlie Shepperd allowed the Mercs to run the OZ class but he simply told them to get lost.
He was the guy who originated the Formula classes in powerboating and was not enamoured with the underhanded way OMC manipulated the voting using the eastern block votes of Russia-Hungary-Chechnia---and others who thought a formula was a baby feed at the UIM meeting.

I used to love Auronzo------a tiny resort high up in the Dolomites where you had to alter all your settings as it was very thin air up there.

Mark had won the first heat comfortably with his favourite boat------The EX Bentz sprint Seebold [best boat he ever had in my opinion] and looked set to continue.
Second heat saw a bunch of the minor runners jump the start, Mark and Renato raced through the pack with Mark having the inside line to the turn and Renato out wide with Pellolio between, Renato clouted his team mate and pushed him into Mark which did not best please the boy.
After the race Mark headed straight for Renato yelling he was going to tear his head off and stick it up his rectum ----------Renato just ran, with Mark in "HOT PURSUIT" all round the campers until he reached his own truck and locked himself in. Mark hammered the door but Renato would not come out.
Yes i do remember a lot of the races at Auronzo------the exact years i could no longer tell you with any accuracy------i do know the locals knew their racing very well indeed and hydro's were their favourites----and the water was 1degree above freezing.

jackie wilson
05-25-2011, 11:07 PM

Lasse i think it right that no matter the size of any boat, give it a set of rules and workable boundaries and limits in weight ---length---breadth. engine size etc and go racing,

OZ never had any rules---it was open ended------how could it be formula 1--------there never was a formula--------you could race -turbines-----wankels-----2 strokes----baby carriages and steam trains--tug boats and banana skins -----secret sh--t and experimental stuff.

Charlie's Formula way was the way to go----but governed and not abused.

Lars Strom
05-26-2011, 07:13 AM

Jackie..I think the Merc people has one way of telling this story and the OMC friends another..
It is always the Merc people bringing this up..

For the first time a give my side of the Bristol OZ class race 1982.
First..I was there.. racing Formula 3 and was leading F-3 to the last lap..Engine broke down..
Same thing with Molinari..He was leading and broke down..

By the way..Merc used the much lighter 2 liter + powerhead..
Why did not Leo put the 3.4 liter T-4 power head on the boat instead..:)
We all now the answer to that..

It was an advantage in the ruff water with left/right turns in Bristol to run the lighter
2 liter + engine..and again..Molinari broke down in the lead with the aluminum F1-V8 boat..

One more thing..Mr. Bill was the best driver ever in Bristol.. nobody can argue about that

Picture show the Molinari aluminum boat that broke down late in the ..OZ race Bristol 1982.
Renato used the same boat in Leon, Spain spring 1982 and was leading by half a lap when the boat came apart and sunk in a few seconds..Jenkins won..Not for being the fastest boat..but he made it to the finish line..
Thats how you win races...at the last lap...

Lars Strom
05-26-2011, 07:37 AM

Bruce Heindl gave me a few pictures of Jimbo..(Thank you)
I think this is from Minneapolis 1983.
I raced there also and remember Roger Jenkins enormous WOT flipp just in front of me..

jackie wilson
05-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Jackie..I think the Merc people has one way of telling this story and the OMC friends another..
It is always the Merc people bringing this up..

For the first time a give my side of the Bristol OZ class race 1982.
First..I was there.. racing Formula 3 and was leading F-3 to the last lap..Engine broke down..
Same thing with Molinari..He was leading and broke down..

By the way..Merc used the much lighter 2 liter + powerhead..
Why did not Leo put the 3.4 liter T-4 power head on the boat instead..:)
We all now the answer to that..

It was an advantage in the ruff water with left/right turns in Bristol to run the lighter
2 liter + engine..and again..Molinari broke down in the lead with the aluminum F1-V8 boat..

One more thing..Mr. Bill was the best driver ever in Bristol.. nobody can argue about that

Picture show the Molinari aluminum boat that broke down late in the ..OZ race Bristol 1982.
Renato used the same boat in Leon, Spain spring 1982 and was leading by half a lap when the boat came apart and sunk in a few seconds..Jenkins won..Not for being the fastest boat..but he made it to the finish line..
Thats how you win races...at the last lap...

C'mon Lasse-----who you trying to kid-----The F1 OZ series was an OMC show and they did not want Mercury pissing on their parade------------It was never open to anyone with a UIM regulation rig unless it was a JONRUDE. !!!!!!!!!!

Don't really want to hear the RENATO " WAS " in the lead but broke again bit.

Same thing with the OZ championship Renato broke so many times it was a joke, a bit like the tortoise and the hare story. Jenks went on to win it but i think he only won a single race but was a regular finisher.

The end analysis was SEEBOLD was the only Merc in the race at Bristol----------it was a 2 liter engine and he crossed the finish line first------in front of a dozen V8 OMC's. Yes he was on fire and had a big lump of ginger up his bum---drove out of his skull and really pissed the OMC people off.

The other time he pissed OMC off was when Renato turned up with a twin engined OZ at the worlds-----------------Billy and Bentz [i think] gave Renato the royal runaround and piddled all over OMC ---yet again.

There are always 2 sides to every story----but there's only one record book-and to OMC it makes dreadful reading.

The cash spent trying to make the wankel work--------------the OZV8 F1 effort--------all money down the drain with bugger all to show for it except empty premises and thoughts of what might have been.

Lars Strom
05-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Hehe..Jackie...that got you going...
..but the OZ class in Bristol was good when Merc raced the 3.4liter T-4
and OMC only had the slower 3 liter loop V-6...like in 1979..

Just for people to know..this is the Molinari Monster that Jackie is talking about..
The "Monster" was extremly fast..but one engine did not make it to the finish line...
2 X 3 liter loop V-6

Yes..I was there at Idroscala, Italy..

Lars Strom
05-26-2011, 09:28 AM
A test Jackie...

The start of Paris 6 Hours..but what year???

If you can read Swedish helps..!!

jackie wilson
05-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Hehe..Jackie...that got you going...
..but the OZ class in Bristol was good when Merc raced the 3.4liter T-4
and OMC only had the slower 3 liter loop V-6...like in 1979..

Just for people to know..this is the Molinari Monster that Jackie is talking about..
The "Monster" was extremly fast..but one engine did not make it to the finish line...
2 X 3 liter loop V-6

Yes..I was there at Idroscala, Italy..

That was convenient wasn't it Lasse-------one engine did not make it to the finish line, but they were both running fine when Seebold passed him. It was a handful i grant you and was quite quick up the straight ----but it didn't like going anywhere else except in a straight line.

Bottom line is Billy won.

jackie wilson
05-26-2011, 10:03 AM
A test Jackie...

The start of Paris 6 Hours..but what year???

If you can read Swedish helps..!!

Was after i finished racing which was '79 Mark was running the ex Bentz seebold-------Peter inwood was running with Nick Cripps in the hodges. Michael Werner was running a Seebold

So it could have been around '80/81. but that's not carved in stone

jackie wilson
05-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Was after i finished racing which was '79 Mark was running the ex Bentz seebold-------Peter inwood was running with Nick Cripps in the hodges. Michael Werner was running a Seebold

AND a blast from the past PELLE LARSON, last time i saw him was Abu-Dhabi---holding John hill out of the water trying to save his life !!!!!!!!!!!

Lars Strom
05-26-2011, 10:06 AM
This is fun Jackie..

OK..This is from your favorite Formula ON class...

The World Champion ship race in Cardiff 1975..
See..the overall winner is drinking champange.. one of the first ever build OMC 2 liter on
a short mid section..
The rest of the OMC boats where using the longer shaft mid section...

Cees let me tast the Champange...I was there racing the SE class..

jackie wilson
05-26-2011, 10:22 AM
This is fun Jackie..

OK..This is from your favorite Formula ON class...

The World Champion ship race in Cardiff 1975..
See..the overall winner is drinking champange.. one of the first ever build OMC 2 liter on
a short mid section..
The rest of the OMC boats where using the longer shaft mid section...

Cees let me tast the Champange...I was there racing the SE class..

Yes ON was my favourite class----even though it was not as rigidly controlled as i would have liked. Far too much factory secret sh-t was being run

Quite historical--that picture Lasse-------OMC came out with the bullsh-t that they didn't have a 2 litre engine to contest the series--but it turns out they had a very good one. was not one of the first !!!!!!!!!!Omc had 2 liters long before that one.

Make hay though my friend------------it was the one and only race the 2 liter OMC ever won----------that i recall.

jackie wilson
05-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Yes ON was my favourite class----even though it was not as rigidly controlled as i would have liked. Far too much factory secret sh-t was being run

Quite historical--that picture Lasse-------OMC came out with the bullsh-t that they didn't have a 2 litre engine to contest the series--but it turns out they had a very good one. was not one of the first !!!!!!!!!!Omc had 2 liters long before that one.

Make hay though my friend------------it was the one and only race the 2 liter OMC ever won----------that i recall.

Velden came close in Munich ---but the motor broke-------again-----but was quick while it lasted. OMC had a very competitive but unreliable 2 liter motor.

Lars Strom
05-26-2011, 10:35 AM

Jackie..when it comes to your memory about OMC winning..you are doing poorly..:):)

This is from the year before...Bristol 1974.. The overall winner was Cesare Scotti with a 2 liter OMC V-6 on the long mid section..
(in your favorite ON class)..
Cees used the very first short mid section in Cardiff 1975..and got the Champagne..

Rotary John
05-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Lars: I very seldon agree with Jackie, but the last picture you say is Scotti "74 can't be Bristol. Scotti was killed in Paris '74 and those motors were not 2L. They were 150 ci and was the very first time they ran any V-6. Johnie Sanders won that race,

jackie wilson
05-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Jackie..when it comes to your memory about OMC winning..you are doing poorly..:):)

This is from the year before...Bristol 1974.. The overall winner was Cesare Scotti with a 2 liter OMC V-6 on the long mid section..
(in your favourite ON class)..
Cees used the very first short mid section in Cardiff 1975..and got the Champagne..

Why then did OMC always claim not to have a 2 liter motor---when they clearly did.

Sandra -my eldest daughter taught Scottie how to dance at the discoe's. We had some wonderful friends----------The Rasini's-------The Mora's-------The Scottie's-------the Molinari's Alberto Fioretta, Vassena, Carniti. etc.

Getting old and the selective memory is kicking in.

Guess i am still pissed at Jack Leek and co for the shabby way they treated Mark after his accident in Casale. If it hadn't been for Fred Hauenstein and David Parkinson and Mercury buying 3 seats on an aircraft to get him back to England--Mark would have lost his leg. He was driving a Martini rig and the company jet was on standby in MILAN but they didn't figure it was worth firing up just for Mark. Yes i was pretty pissed at them.

Lars Strom
05-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Lars: I very seldon agree with Jackie, but the last picture you say is Scotti "74 can't be Bristol. Scotti was killed in Paris '74 and those motors were not 2L. They were 150 ci and was the very first time they ran any V-6.

Well..I am pretty good at this...Scotti won Bristol 1974...that race was in June of 1974.
Scotti crashed in Paris 6 hours in October 1974..I was just behind Scotti and did see when he
crashed in to the bridge..

Edit..I do not know if Scottis engine was 2 liter or more but he raced ON in Bristol 1974

Embassy winners..is Bristol..

Lars Strom
05-26-2011, 11:17 AM

Lars Strom
05-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Entry list Bristol 1974

Rotary John
05-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Lars: As Jackie said selective memory is setting in. The first V-6 was Paris '73 not 74. Both were 150ci cross flow engines. All V-4 parts except block, heads, cranks and exhaust. The 2 that ran Paris 73 actually were 2 of a kind with cranks made from V-4 cranks welded together. The big concern from OMC was if the welded cranks would stay together, they did. That was the year they would not let the rotaries run Paris but they did run and won Windemere after Paris.:)

Lars Strom
05-26-2011, 01:15 PM
First...I really enjoy outboard racing history..and was part of this but in the smaller SE/OE class.
I collect everything there is..

My dream was to make it in Boat racing and I think I did in a way..
..but it was my Evinrude dealership that saved me many times..
It is fun to this with both Jackie and Rotary John..Please if anyone have more pictures and info put it here..

.. Paris 6 Hours 1974..I think the #30 boat is Briggs.. You can clearly read ON at the side of the Evinrude V-6 boat cowling.

The inside boat "red arrow" is me..

Lars Strom
05-26-2011, 01:22 PM
The red arrow point to Cesare Scotti´s crash..1974.

Lars Strom
05-26-2011, 01:51 PM

Yes Jackie..You are right..the start of Paris 1981..
Here is on more picture.
My Burgess/AKAI-Evinrude CC..F-3 boat has #38..

"Mr.Bloody Mary" always forced yot to have a special race number for the race

Rotary John
05-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Lars: '74 Paris. They let my rotaries run in exibition only; couldn't officially win the race. Woods had trouble getting started, change the flywheel and finally got it going. Went into the lead in the first 15 min if I remember correctly and lead the race till the last 30 min when the engine quit. After looking at the engine, all the carb bolts had been loosened causing a massive air leak. Thus the hard starting and the unltimate engine failure. Posey hit a turn boey and sank. Both OMC and Merc V-6 were there; no contest. Windemere was cancelled after Scotties death. I had my wife with me and had bought one of those extended stay fares. I was told to go home but instead we took off in a rental car for a week and 1/2. Had a great time.

Lars Strom
05-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Lars: '74 Paris. They let my rotaries run in exibition only; couldn't officially win the race. Woods had trouble getting started, change the flywheel and finally got it going. Went into the lead in the first 15 min if I remember correctly and lead the race till the last 30 min when the engine quit. After looking at the engine, all the carb bolts had been loosened causing a massive air leak. Thus the hard starting and the unltimate engine failure. Posey hit a turn boey and sank. Both OMC and Merc V-6 were there; no contest. Windemere was cancelled after Scotties death. I had my wife with me and had bought one of those extended stay fares. I was told to go home but instead we took off in a rental car for a week and 1/2. Had a great time.

I can never forget the sound of the Rotaries in Paris 1974...nobody can.. that was there..
Well except Jackie..:)

If I remember right...Cees VD Velden won..Or????
His last race.. that time.. for Merc..
1975 he was running the BIG OL' JOHNSON ..:)

click below and smile..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2gIdMRwfuM

X-driver
05-26-2011, 04:52 PM
John,

Is there any youtube videos with sound of a rotary running? I really enjoy listening to your stories and info.

SCT

Lars Strom
05-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Maybe Rotary John can found a way to let us hear that sound again..

Pretty sure this is Paris 6 hours 1974.
Only race a know of that the race number must be white on black background..
That was a "Mr. Bloody Mary" role that year..

His real name was Mr. Bladinaire ..The Officer of the Day..he spoke French only.
He did not care if you understood him or not..
Mr. Bladinaire was also the man stopping the rotaries in Paris..
Well..I am pretty sure some Merc people helped him....:)

Click here for Rotary Johns thread about the Rotary engine..
Very good and interesting reading.

Paris 6 hours is post #11

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8780

Lars Strom
05-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Why then did OMC always claim not to have a 2 liter motor---when they clearly did.

Well..As an OMC dealer I can clearly see/ understand the OMC way of thinking

OMC never made a 2 liter production V-6..

The first 200 hp production V-6 1976 was 2.4 liter..cross flow design
OMC used that block for OZ racing around the same time..

Next generation production V-6 loopers was 2,7 and 3.0 liter..
Well...that block was to heavy for OZ racing..

Instead of making a special race 2 liter V-6 ON engine , OMC stepped up and made the first V-8 race engine..and followed up with a production V-8.
I think that was the right thing to do..

See..Merc started with the 3,4 liter OZ V-6.. T-4 ..(First race Bristol 79)..
A few years later the production 3.4 liter V-6 came...That engine was never a success and Merc pulled the plug..

Mercs 2 liter production engine was good for racing to and it made sense to race the 2 liter class with that powerhead..
Well..Merc stopped making the production 2 liter engine 10-15 years ago..
F1 today is 2,5 liter and the new Optimax SST 200 is 2,5 liter..
See..not even Merc want to build a "race only".. 2 liter....:confused:

Picture of the production 3.4 liter Merc 275/300hp

jackie wilson
05-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Well..As an OMC dealer I can clearly see/ understand the OMC way of thinking

OMC never made a 2 liter production V-6..

The first 200 hp production V-6 1976 was 2.4 liter..cross flow design
OMC used that block for OZ racing around the same time..

Next generation production V-6 loopers was 2,7 and 3.0 liter..
Well...that block was to heavy for OZ racing..

Instead of making a special race 2 liter V-6 ON engine , OMC stepped up and made the first V-8 race engine..and followed up with a production V-8.
I think that was the right thing to do..

See..Merc started with the 3,4 liter OZ V-6.. T-4 ..(First race Bristol 79)..
A few years later the production 3.4 liter V-6 came...That engine was never a success and Merc pulled the plug..

Mercs 2 liter production engine was good for racing to and it made sense to race the 2 liter class with that powerhead..
Well..Merc stopped making the production 2 liter engine 10-15 years ago..
F1 today is 2,5 liter and the new Optimax SST 200 is 2,5 liter..
See..not even Merc want to build a "race only".. 2 liter....:confused:

Picture of the production 3.4 liter Merc 275/300hp

Ok Lasse ----i didn't realize that every OMC motor Cees and co brought to a FONDA race was a purpose built one off race motor !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whilst the 2 liter was my favourite class as opposed to 2.4----2.5----3.0 3.5-----4.00 liters all i wanted was a FORMULA to race to------------not an open ended unlimited-----unruled class of racing where there was no control.

But if the factories could not agree on a formula and bear in mind they had a lot of clout in the UIM and ALL the say in APBA-------what bloody chance did we have .

Mercury obviously did not do it all right, but i think they were closer to selling a product that was raced and bore a smidgin of relationship to a production motor--------------Don't recollect many 3 or 4 stack rotaries going on sale--------and do you really want to bring the V8 into the picture.

Mercury are still churning out product----------which is more than can be said of OMC.
They will have to change tack and stop holding their noses high 'cos the Japs will one day do a pearl harbour on them-----------they have had 40 years to beat 'em or join 'em and have pussyfooted round the edge of the coming armageddon for far too long.

You don't have to be Physic to see what's coming ----------------Just look at the bike and car industry------------the television industry, camera and electronics, Train travel and a thousand other things. For sure the US still builds the Trucks and heavy agricultural machinery, Yes John Deere, Ford and Harley D are still there ------but who decides for how long----------EAST or WEST ??????

Aw sh-t-----here i go again----------just the ramblings of an 80 year old-----will get back on track later-----------but don't any joker point out that i am not "politically correct"------------I never have been.

jackie wilson
05-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Ok Lasse ----i didn't realize that every OMC motor Cees and co brought to a FONDA race was a purpose built one off race motor !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whilst the 2 liter was my favourite class as opposed to 2.4----2.5----3.0 3.5-----4.00 liters all i wanted was a FORMULA to race to------------not an open ended unlimited-----unruled class of racing where there was no control.

But if the factories could not agree on a formula and bear in mind they had a lot of clout in the UIM and ALL the say in APBA-------what bloody chance did we have .

Mercury obviously did not do it all right, but i think they were closer to selling a product that was raced and bore a smidgin of relationship to a production motor--------------Don't recollect many 3 or 4 stack rotaries going on sale--------and do you really want to bring the V8 into the picture.

Mercury are still churning out product----------which is more than can be said of OMC.
They will have to change tack and stop holding their noses high 'cos the Japs will one day do a pearl harbour on them-----------they have had 40 years to beat 'em or join 'em and have pussyfooted round the edge of the coming armageddon for far too long.

You don't have to be Physic to see what's coming ----------------Just look at the bike and car industry------------the television industry, camera and electronics, Train travel and a thousand other things. For sure the US still builds the Trucks and heavy agricultural machinery, Yes John Deere, Ford and Harley D are still there ------but who decides for how long----------EAST or WEST ??????

Aw sh-t-----here i go again----------just the ramblings of an 80 year old-----will get back on track later-----------but don't any joker point out that i am not "politically correct"------------I never have been.

Just re-read the last part of your post lasse-------Why on earth would any Manufacturer want to build a race motor ??????? Production racing was the only way to go and still is----Put "RACE" in front of anything and cost trebles--spares out of sight ----and the whole thing becomes untenable . I do believe racing improves the breed-------finds the weak spots etc.

jackie wilson
05-27-2011, 12:08 AM

His real name was Mr. Bladinaire ..The Officer of the Day..he spoke French only.

Lasse -----You may not know it-but MSR. Bladnaire kept the Paris 6 hours going for years after it should have been stopped . The maritime people hated it and had tried every trick in the book to stop it. He fought off attempts by the gendarmes --river police -------cafe owners ----beaurocrats-----and all manner of things and people who wanted it stopped.

You were racing in France Lasse--------French is spoken there-----if you didn't understand it ----get a translator------Bladinaiire DID speak a little English -------but only when it suited him. To me -he was one of the all time stalwarts of powerboating and the godfather of the Paris 6 hrs.

C'mon Lasse --time to get real-----OMC and MERCURY ALWAYS protested each other-were always trying to get one up. They stole each others personell and ideas, and all things between. There never was much loyalty in either camp 'cept for maybe you -me and R/J.

Lee Sutter
05-27-2011, 01:15 AM
I love reading all this stuff... And, I have a comment and a question.

I was told by a very reliable source that OMC did build a good 2 liter V-6 (late '70's and had it running well enough where they thought they could beat the V-6 ON Mercs. They still got beat. the remaining parts were boats, props and drivers. What do you guys think the problem was? If you want, I can get more information on the timeframe and location of the race/s.

Jackie, Why didn't the Cosworth type project take off?? I think it could have worked. Someone builds a sterndrive and hooks it up to automotive racing engine that has about + hp 400 HPwith lots of torque and turns 10,000 RPM. It seems to me that this would open the door to the automotive monies that are being spend in lots of circuits world wide. Yes... I've seen the one recently on the Youtube.
This way, maybe if could be a real formula program and even incorporate a lease program from the engine manufactuers.Even sealed engines.

Just a thought as I try get my butt to sleep..

Rotary John
05-27-2011, 03:11 AM
Lee:
I've been told Don Henrich (OMC) was one of the best porp men of the time. Boats however were a different story. OMC was running Scotti's made in early '70. They were built for V-4 power. Scotti was killed in '74 and OMC didn't have a sourse for new boats. James Beard, Cougar, built a couple and Jimbo/ Bob Nagoaty built a couple for themselves, but that was it. Meanwhile HP kept going up. I've said this before, but I believe the biggest difference was preperation. I've been told Merc would spend weeks at Lake X setting up their race boat for events. I know Siebold spent weeks in St. Louis getting ready for his race there. OMC would show up a day or 2 prior to a race, test a few props and go race. The same fuel tank was used for 6hr endurance races as was used for 20 min sprint races. The most pre race testing done with the rotaries was 10 hrs endurance running prior to the first 9 hr Parker. I really believe that was the difference between the 2.

Rotary John
05-27-2011, 03:21 AM
John,

Is there any youtube videos with sound of a rotary running? I really enjoy listening to your stories and info.

SCT
I don't know of any flim of the rotaries (no video camaras at that time) other than a commercial that was shot with Johnie Sanders. I'm afraid most of the rotaries have been disposed of. There are 2 in a private collection, only one has a gearcase,but they are secret and will never see the light of day again. I tried to get BRP to let me borrow one for OFF last year, but after initial approval, the powers to be put a kabash on it. Since that time I'm told BRP has ordered the disposal of all the old OMC stuff. There are several of Mazda rotaries .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEOHn7rspsk

Rotary John
05-27-2011, 03:25 AM

The rotary picture is indeed Paris '74; Barry Woods on the boat. I don't know hat the other picture is. I don't think there were pickel forks in '74 on outboards, certainly not OMC

jackie wilson
05-27-2011, 04:41 AM
I love reading all this stuff... And, I have a comment and a question.

I was told by a very reliable source that OMC did build a good 2 liter V-6 (late '70's and had it running well enough where they thought they could beat the V-6 ON Mercs. They still got beat. the remaining parts were boats, props and drivers. What do you guys think the problem was? If you want, I can get more information on the timeframe and location of the race/s.

Jackie, Why didn't the Cosworth type project take off?? I think it could have worked. Someone builds a sterndrive and hooks it up to automotive racing engine that has about + hp 400 HPwith lots of torque and turns 10,000 RPM. It seems to me that this would open the door to the automotive monies that are being spend in lots of circuits world wide. Yes... I've seen the one recently on the Youtube.
This way, maybe if could be a real formula program and even incorporate a lease program from the engine manufactuers.Even sealed engines.

Just a thought as I try get my butt to sleep..

Hiya Lee, i would lay money on the fact OMC had a very good 2 liter motor, even they wouldn't have been crazy enough to go the Koenig route-------one offs whenever they wanted to-----was enough to scare the pants off Mercury every time they showed with one--was always competitive till it broke---which was quite often-------it's cobblers to state they never had a 2 liter.

The project was my own idea along with Duckworth---when you think that a Keith Black engine was $12,500---$15,000 and the Cosworth was £25,000 as a straight sale from the factory-----that was a big difference in those days. The big factor being ---the cossie would run 24 competition hrs non stop @10,000 RPM--------i used 8,500 all the time.

Duckworth did bring a fair bit of trick stuff to the project like the centrifugal clutch and the quill drive shaft which made it a beautiful package to work on.

Cosworth and Ilmor do a lease program and Ilmor have their very own drive unit-don't know how it's turning out but life is very interesting.

T2x
05-27-2011, 05:08 AM

Lee:

I presume this is what you are referring to.......?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4buTnduRJXc&feature=player_embedded

Looks like a great concept........... and lends itself to a sealed Formula program.

T2x
05-27-2011, 05:40 AM
Jackie and Rotary John at OFF 2010, conspiring to reveal the secrets behind the legendary 2 liter Rotary, V-10, Turbine OMC that only Renato Molinari was allowed to test drive. This engine would have put OMC at the top of racing. Unfortunately, not only couldn't it finish a race....no one was ever able to get it started....!!!!

Powerabout
05-27-2011, 06:09 AM
Lee:

Looks like a great concept........... and lends itself to a sealed Formula program.
Looks like a V6 Yam outboard coupled to a Weismann style sterndrive?
I guess they had 30 years of thinking since Jackies Cozzie MCM 1dr, didnt amount to much did it?

Lars Strom
05-27-2011, 06:22 AM
Busy Memorial Day weekend as a race fan..onboard our Boat

F1 from Monaco Sunday morning..
Indy 500..The greatest spectacle in racing turns 100 years..
Former winners are invited for pre-race activites
My friend Kenny Bräck (a former winner..1999) is driving Montoya´s
2000 winning car before the race..

After Indy 500.. flipping channel to NASCAR and Charlotte Motor Speedway..
Coca Cola 600 normally last to midnight.

Well..Jackie... The Marina is an exclusive Brunswick/Mercury dealer so I hang out with Merc people every day now and enjoy it..

I be back here at "the Jackie Wilson thread" next week..

Have a great Memorial Day.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Jackie, I've looked through most of my pictures, and I haven't found a tunnel mixing it up with the inboards yet, but I can't find my good loupe and so I have a hard time seeing details. I'll find it and go over them again. Here is an excerpt from the July 1976 LE Soleil, and an article from Powerboat that gives you mention at the Valleyfield race. This is one of only two articles I sent in for publication, but had someone else write the story. Both were in 1976. Steve and Lee Hertz accompanied us as pit crew for myself and Tim Butts, and since Lee was the APBA Region 6 correspondent, I asked if he would write the story and I would take the pictures. He readily agreed. Lee knew most if not all the inboard racers, and probably many of the OPC guys. Consequently, I didn't get the results or even have a roster. I don't even remember much about the drivers meeting. Seems to me that I remember most of it being in French.

jackie wilson
05-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Lee:

You have to admit -it looks good and rides nicely --------but i notice there are no given speeds or acceleration times.-------------------Lots of low emission and economy talk.

At a guess it looks to be running below a 110------you don't get that slow lollop at speeds above that-------the boat trims to a setting and then the speed comes in.
Looks like a great package to me and the new trim and steering are light years ahead of anything i had----------so to sell it as a competitor to an existing class------------it.s going to have to run around 140 MPH, to keep up with the big boys.

After a 35 year gap----it's time somebody came up with something new-and this looks like a step in the right direction. Good luck you guys i wish all the luck in the world.

jackie wilson
05-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Jackie, I've looked through most of my pictures, and I haven't found a tunnel mixing it up with the inboards yet, but I can't find my good loupe and so I have a hard time seeing details. I'll find it and go over them again. Here is an excerpt from the July 1976 LE Soleil, and an article from Powerboat that gives you mention at the Valleyfield race. This is one of only two articles I sent in for publication, but had someone else write the story. Both were in 1976. Steve and Lee Hertz accompanied us as pit crew for myself and Tim Butts, and since Lee was the APBA Region 6 correspondent, I asked if he would write the story and I would take the pictures. He readily agreed. Lee knew most if not all the inboard racers, and probably many of the OPC guys. Consequently, I didn't get the results or even have a roster. I don't even remember much about the drivers meeting. Seems to me that I remember most of it being in French.

Like i said before-------they would not allow me to race with the outboard tunnels.

The only racing i did that day was 3 -----3 lap races with the GP boys and then the Molson Invitational. Must have done ok in that one -----got a big check-------lots of beer and a stack of Molson drinking vessels. Thing i remember most was the all night partying ----------the trip up the seaway to an out of the way restaurant by boat and coming back at 3 in the morning and joining all the other revellers for a very big breakfast and falling into bed around 7AM.

Can tell you 3 of the runners were Jo-Bonomi ??? Larry Lauderbach and Staudacher ----
Larry gave a very emotional speech afterwards which had everyone crying in their beer.

Of all the places i raced in the world Valleyfield was the friendliest .

I once asked Louise Thompson why she didn't watch outboard racing-------she looked me straight in the eye and said "SIMPLE----------------THEY DON'T MAKE THE GROUND TREMBLE".

jackie wilson
05-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Looks like a V6 Yam outboard coupled to a Weismann style sterndrive?
I guess they had 30 years of thinking since Jackies Cozzie MCM 1dr, didnt amount to much did it?

Might not have amounted to much to you my friend---but i got a great kick out of it----enjoyed the whole season and made my own mark in our sports history. Delighted a few--------pissed off a lot -----------can't have been that bad if people are still doing the same thing all over again today. Don't have any regrets about the project and would be interesting to put the two boats together------just for a demo run--------after all the boat is 20+' long and has just 400 hp from 3 liters with a nice smooth V8 against a new light composite boat with a 6cylinder lump of 3.5 liters shoving out 400 HP. Now that don't sound like there has been a whole load of progress in the boat business over the last 35 years. And if my son could put his mind to tweaking a modern day wheel for me-------i may be persuaded to try a hefty $10 bet on the outcome SO--------what did you drive that powerboat drivers the world over still talk about????????????

jackie wilson
05-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Jackie and Rotary John at OFF 2010, conspiring to reveal the secrets behind the legendary 2 liter Rotary, V-10, Turbine OMC that only Renato Molinari was allowed to test drive. This engine would have put OMC at the top of racing. Unfortunately, not only couldn't it finish a race....no one was ever able to get it started....!!!!

Sam---------i'm the only one allowed to go Rotary bashing------------I have a very broad back !!!!

jackie wilson
05-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Busy Memorial Day weekend as a race fan..onboard our Boat

F1 from Monaco Sunday morning..
Indy 500..The greatest spectacle in racing turns 100 years..
Former winners are invited for pre-race activites
My friend Kenny Bräck (a former winner..1999) is driving Montoya´s
2000 winning car before the race..

After Indy 500.. flipping channel to NASCAR and Charlotte Motor Speedway..
Coca Cola 600 normally last to midnight.

Well..Jackie... The Marina is an exclusive Brunswick/Mercury dealer so I hang out with Merc people every day now and enjoy it..

I be back here at "the Jackie Wilson thread" next week..

Have a great Memorial Day.

Lasse -------YOU ARE SUCH A SHOW OFF----------- MONACO SUNDAY MORNING!!!!!!!!!! INDY 500 IN THE AFTERNOON NASCAR AT NITE FROM CHARLOTTE--------"ON MY BOAT IN THE MARINA DRINKING CHAMPAGNE" WHICH IS OWNED BY MERCURY----------------------------- While the POOR people stay home to watch.

Have a great weekend

Master Oil Racing Team
05-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Well...I found my loupe and was able to see the films with clarity and found one of the No. 4 tunnel of yours Jackie. I also included a few shots from the drivers's meeting. Unfortunately, I shot them from behind. Do you remember where you were? My fiance, future wife Debbie, were in the back.

Have a wonderful weekend Lars. What a contrast. Watching some of the top motorsports events on asphalt from a boat. While all the drivers and crews are hot and sweaty, you are kicking back, on the water, in a boat....not just any boat......watching all unfold. You can do all that without having to take a picnic lunch and pee over the side.;) A wonderful Memorial Day weekend.

Rotary John
05-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Sam: It was merc that did the turbine and it was Karl that test drove it and blew the compressor and cut the boat in half, not OMC.

Mark75H
05-27-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm poor, he's Rich.

Powerabout
05-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Might not have amounted to much to you my friend---but i got a great kick out of it----enjoyed the whole season and made my own mark in our sports history. Delighted a few--------pissed off a lot -----------can't have been that bad if people are still doing the same thing all over again today. Don't have any regrets about the project and would be interesting to put the two boats together------just for a demo run--------after all the boat is 20+' long and has just 400 hp from 3 liters with a nice smooth V8 against a new light composite boat with a 6cylinder lump of 3.5 liters shoving out 400 HP. Now that don't sound like there has been a whole load of progress in the boat business over the last 35 years. And if my son could put his mind to tweaking a modern day wheel for me-------i may be persuaded to try a hefty $10 bet on the outcome SO--------what did you drive that powerboat drivers the world over still talk about????????????
You missed my point Jackie, I meant yours was ground breaking 30 years ago and they havn't moved very far today with that new thing from South Africa

jackie wilson
05-27-2011, 10:34 PM
You missed my point Jackie, I meant yours was ground breaking 30 years ago and they havn't moved very far today

I humbly apologise--------------i got hold of the wrong end of the stick and totally missed your point. There were so many sceptics and critics and finger pointers about what i was doing with the 4 cycle motors---especially the dyed in the wool Jonrude and Mercury brigade. I was fighting all fronts and the battle never ended.

GG and i had fallen out big time and i said i would come back without any help from either of the factories ------when i say something i mean it -------so it had to be a solo worthwhile effort and not just a penny ante fizzbang project.

I knew i was doing it right when both factories tried to put the block on me everywhere i showed up-----------even in Canada i wasn,t allowed to run under international UIM rules --it had to be local rules.

In the USA ------I could race the class they put me in------which again they altered AFTER the race-----------and my co-drivers dad was OOD----- still the factories put the boot in again It wasn't easy being green as the saying goes.

You put on a face -------you look 'em straight in the eye and you take 'em on----you argue ----you plead-------you threaten------ but you never give up-------you put up with snide remarks and the criticisms and the threats and accusations of ruining the sport and just smile at them when all you want to do is punch 'em in the mouth.

It was like that the whole time i raced The Cosworth-----so if my shackles were up again and it was for all the wrong reasons I"M SORRY" 'nuff said.

SO-- the new inboard /outboard folk trying ----to do what i did think they will be welcomed with open arms---------they will be -------------------only 'till it looks like it has potential----then the sh-t will hit the fan all over again.

Lee Sutter
05-29-2011, 03:10 AM

Great picture guys!!!!

T2x
05-31-2011, 04:51 AM

Do you have any shots of Dick O'Dea's Jones tunnel running at Valleyfield with his 7 liter/Mercruiser II?....possibly 1977? I believe Johnny Yale was running it and blew over running down the front stretch. He had never driven a tunnel before and the boat had a lope like nothing else I have ever seen...yet he kept his foot in it....... The hull must have been 25 feet in the air, spinning backwards as it passed the start-finish line in lap 2.

Rich....not Sam.....

Master Oil Racing Team
05-31-2011, 07:00 AM
Sorry, but I don't. My only trip to Valleyfield was for the John Ward race in 1976.

jackie wilson
06-05-2011, 02:53 AM
Sorry, but I don't. My only trip to Valleyfield was for the John Ward race in 1976.

Was after reading about the JOHN WARD trophy i decided to do Valleyfield, specially as no englishman had ever done it, still think it was one of the best memories of my boating career and Chas [ my mechanic ] thinks so too .

Lars Strom
06-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Hi again Jackie...look at this picture..maybe Bristol??

How is Fiona Brothers doing today?? Did she ever win a ON race??

Powerabout
06-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Here's an article published in an Ozzie boat mag a few years ago about Jackies boat

jackie wilson
06-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Here's an article published in an Ozzie boat mag a few years ago about Jackies boat

Lasse, Only you could come up with a bunch of questions that will cause so much debate and controversy,---first things first.

Did Fiona Brothers ever win an ON race----------yes she did, but i cannot tell you how many and where they were !!!!!!!!!!
Fiona was Mercury's number one publicity stunt, full works backing with Mercs European engineer Steve West as her Mechanic.

Sponsorship from MITSUBISHI----- and her dad was not exactly on the dole queue -------he just happened to have a little 'ole petroleum company, but was as tight as a ducks arse when it came to paying for stuff.

Fiona was podium material----------but like ALL females who get into motorised sports-not quite "Champion " stuff. [WE SHOULD HAVE SOME FUN REPLIES TO THAT STATEMENT]

She was hard to beat in her short career but finished in front of some of the best known drivers of the day-ie, John Hill, Jon Jones, Steve Kerton, Mark Wilson, Tony Williams, and a whole lot more.

She brought more publicity to the FONDA series than any other person, and was also a very likeable person.

She lives on the Isle of Wight with husband Keith and Her 2 sons.

jackie wilson
06-09-2011, 11:47 PM

That was Bristol 1978, number 10 was probably Bob Spalding with Percy at number 11, they both had identical Long John rigs.

Had the equipment and should have won Bristol-----but was a bit exuberant and overdid things.

Powerabout
06-09-2011, 11:49 PM
I only kept it due to the cosworth photo
cheers

jackie wilson
06-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Ray Bulman was the ONLY power boat reporter to earn his keep. Knew him and "MARGE" for many years-----didn't always agree with him----but he couldn't be bought and told it the way it was.

What he didn't know was the fact that i had Freddie Miles design and build the boat.
I then bought and paid for the stern drive and the instrumentation , the rigging and fuel tanks.
Bill supplied the motor.

It was a joint venture-all, went well until he managed to squeeze a very good sponsorship deal with "Carlsberg" ------then he wanted to fly solo. If you know me at all, you would realise i would not take this lying prone------------so in 2 weeks-------i bought a boat from Roger Hooks widow---bought a 2 litre Cosworth from Keith Duckworth and went to Amsterdam where i showed Bill how to drive a boat--------the rest is history.

jackie wilson
06-10-2011, 12:05 AM
I only kept it due to the cosworth photo
cheers

Didn't think for a moment you kept it to remember ME. Cheers.

Lars Strom
06-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Lasse, Only you could come up with a bunch of questions that will cause so much debate and controversy,---first things first.

Did Fiona Brothers ever win an ON race----------yes she did, but i cannot tell you how many and where they were !!!!!!!!!!
Fiona was Mercury's number one publicity stunt, full works backing with Mercs European engineer Steve West as her Mechanic.

Sponsorship from MITSUBISHI----- and her dad was not exactly on the dole queue -------he just happened to have a little 'ole petroleum company, but was as tight as a ducks arse when it came to paying for stuff.

Fiona was podium material----------but like ALL females who get into motorised sports-not quite "Champion " stuff. [WE SHOULD HAVE SOME FUN REPLIES TO THAT STATEMENT]

She was hard to beat in her short career but finished in front of some of the best known drivers of the day-ie, John Hill, Jon Jones, Steve Kerton, Mark Wilson, Tony Williams, and a whole lot more.

She brought more publicity to the FONDA series than any other person, and was also a very likeable person.

She lives on the Isle of Wight with husband Keith and Her 2 sons.

Thanks for info Jackie..and my plan is to see you at next OFF meeting..in Naples with Mr. Bill.
What is on the back of the Merc..?? red arrow..

Hey....If you where racing OZ with the inboard/outboard boat in Bristol you could have used a big hi perf Cosworth V8??

One more thing..Miss Larina was up on four wheels at MarineMax today..

Lee Sutter
06-10-2011, 08:32 PM

Fiona raced at St Louis driving our (Dr. Phil Wagner) Seebold/Mercury combination. We had two rigs that ran about the same. Mercury was the driving force beheind the project and I tested the rig to where it was running with front runners. I'll check the exact year, but I think in was in the SST-120 class in the late 70's. She was very nice to work with and ran a good race.

Oh, I drove the #10 boat with Percy at Paris in 1977. Placed 3rd after blowing a gear case with a 3 lap lead - rig wa really fast. But, we all have stories....

John Schubert T*A*R*T
06-11-2011, 06:00 AM
Fiona raced at St Louis driving our (Dr. Phil Wagner) Seebold/Mercury combination. We had two rigs that ran about the same. Mercury was the driving force beheind the project and I tested the rig to where it was running with front runners. I'll check the exact year, but I think in was in the SST-120 class in the late 70's. She was very nice to work with and ran a good race.

Oh, I drove the #10 boat with Percy at Paris in 1977. Placed 3rd after blowing a gear case with a 3 lap lead - rig wa really fast. But, we all have stories....

Lee, yes we all have the "would of, should of ,could of stories". In 1972 I had a large lead over Mike Downatd in second with under 40 minutes to go, throttled back per instructions & threw a rod. Went to Berlin the next week, out front again in the 2nd hr. & yup broke another one.

jackie wilson
06-11-2011, 06:34 AM

Hey Lee--you are right about Fee--she is a great person-----was only after she learned how to bash sponsons with others that she was taken seriously.

And John-----you are talking to the world no1 shoulda --coulda --mighta------thats all i got to show for it all

Lee Sutter
06-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Hey Lee--you are right about Fee--she is a great person-----was only after she learned how to bash sponsons with others that she was taken seriously.

And John-----you are talking to the world no1 shoulda --coulda --mighta------thats all i got to show for it all

Hey Jackie,

Fiona was not well established when she raced at St Louis, so I think it was the early part of her racing career. I know a lot of people were watching her real close - lots of jelousy too!!! Every test lap she ran, her times were whispered around the pits. She was pretty cool about the whole thing and did her own thing and didn't seem to care too much about any of the crap that was going on around her. She ran a lot of test laps and tried a lot of combinations. It was a lot of fun.

I know she had serious injuries in Europe a year or two later. What happened?

If you get the chance, tell her hello for me.

Thanks,

Lee

Master Oil Racing Team
06-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Those are some good inside stories Lee and Jackie. It makes it much more interesting to read about racing exploits when someone who was there can add more than what was reported. I will see if I can find some stories out of Powerboat & Waterskiing about her. Seems like I can remember Rosalind Nott (sp) the editor, or someone else did a profile on her.

jackie wilson
06-12-2011, 12:34 AM
Hey Jackie,

Fiona was not well established when she raced at St Louis, so I think it was the early part of her racing career. I know a lot of people were watching her real close - lots of jelousy too!!! Every test lap she ran, her times were whispered around the pits. She was pretty cool about the whole thing and did her own thing and didn't seem to care too much about any of the crap that was going on around her. She ran a lot of test laps and tried a lot of combinations. It was a lot of fun.

I know she had serious injuries in Europe a year or two later. What happened?

If you get the chance, tell her hello for me.

Thanks,

Lee

'Twas at a national race somewhere in the midlands[Stewartby or somewhere like that] Fee had won the first of the three heats and really put some of the big boys in their place-------start of the second heat 5 boats abreast without a hair between them -------all banging sponsons---Jon Jones got a tad out of sync and started to climb-------Fiona kinda got sucked up with him --and if memory serves me right-----Stevie Kerton decided to join them in the heavenly quest. The boys all got out OK but fee was trapped under the boat for a long time and was unconscious when they carted her off to hospital-----------when she came too, she had lost the use of all things on the left side and could only speak out of the right corner of her mouth. The power boat world was shocked with the accident --------her parents were due to go on a world cruise , and her dad decided that as it was not life threatening and ONLY paralysis so he would continue with the cruise---------ALL HEART and compassion was that man.

There are still signs of the accident -but she never did let it bother her and she carried on with her life--Married Keith and adopted a couple of great boys.
It's 11 years since she came by the house--then i moved to France and happiness and i really must look her up when we move back to England later this year.

Will give her your best Lee------------but hey man !!!!!!!this is the 21st century ------get on the puter and find her and tell her yourself------------she would like that.

jackie wilson
06-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Those are some good inside stories Lee and Jackie. It makes it much more interesting to read about racing exploits when someone who was there can add more than what was reported. I will see if I can find some stories out of Powerboat & Waterskiing about her. Seems like I can remember Rosalind Nott (sp) the editor, or someone else did a profile on her.

Would have been Roz or Baverstock that did the feature, unless Bulman did it for Yachts and Yachting.

Master Oil Racing Team
06-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Ray Bulman also had a column in Powerboat for a number of years. Always enjoyed his stuff.

jackie wilson
07-03-2011, 01:29 AM
Ray Bulman also had a column in Powerboat for a number of years. Always enjoyed his stuff.

Bulman was always the master of his trade [the only one in fact] . He and Marge [when they were not arguing] were well known in boating circles and covered ALL forms of powerboating from hydros to offshore and record attempts.

mintominto
07-12-2011, 04:33 AM
Still got this from back in the day, I'm sure Fiona would be pleased.:)

1969Merc800ShortShaft
03-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Yes, good photo. T2x, It sounds like you were involved with the rotary engine development/racing. Tell us more please. What was its horsepower and so on.

T2x
03-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Yes, good photo. T2x, It sounds like you were involved with the rotary engine development/racing. Tell us more please. What was its horsepower and so on.

Read my sentence again carefully......."2 liter, rotary, V10, turbine OMC"........

Jackie is much more knowledgeable about this project than I am.......:p

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Read my sentence again carefully......."2 liter, rotary, V10, turbine OMC"........

Jackie is much more knowledgeable about this project than I am.......:p

Rich, am I stupid & don't know about that secret weapon or were you trying to spoof someone. Never heard of a 2 liter rotary V-10 Turbined OMC.

T2x
03-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Rich, am I stupid & don't know about that secret weapon or were you trying to spoof someone. Never heard of a 2 liter rotary V-10 Turbined OMC.

These were real ultra hush hush motors..... not even Charlie Strang or Jack Leek knew about the project.......

Edgar Rose hid the prototypes away so thoroughly that 2 days later even he couldn't find them...but if they ever actually got on one of those bi-plane hulls that Staudacher and Molinari were developing (also in secret..code named "Molidachers").... they definitely would have been faster than anything else to this day..... :D :D.

T2x

P.S..... This is for all those guys who are always searching for the "inside story" on minutiae like why the factories chose specific stripe colors on engine cowls for a certain year...
:p :D

Mark75H
03-05-2012, 01:34 PM
There needs to be an icon or emoticon for going over people's heads :rolleyes:

T2x
03-05-2012, 01:52 PM
There needs to be an icon or emoticon for going over people's heads :rolleyes:

agreed ;)

Powerabout
03-05-2012, 02:58 PM
I heard it ran on diesel or gas too!

T2x
03-06-2012, 05:26 AM
I heard it ran on diesel or gas too!

Actually it converted water to hydrogen.....so the faster it went, the more fuel it received directly from its cooling system....

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-06-2012, 05:29 AM
Rich,

Are you sure! I believe it ran on Methane gas obtained from Mid-West feed lots!

T2x
03-06-2012, 02:17 PM
John:

Ahhh yes the Methane gas moment, you only heard Edgar's earlier secret tapes after his bratwurst and beans dinner...... The hydrogen part came later in the design process..... :)

Beale Tilton
03-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Believe it could be refueled with this thread

T2x
03-07-2012, 05:31 AM
Believe it could be refueled with this thread

Beale:

Not possible. This was all down well before the internet started. There were no provisions to harness hot air from a world wide computer network built into the concept....but it certainly could have been updated if only Steve Jobs had lived a little longer.....

You'll have to excuse me now as I have to resume my cataloguing of every prop nut vendor and part number in outboard racing's history......

T2x...(Part # 87-1111560895-a)

jackie wilson
04-01-2013, 11:35 PM
These were real ultra hush hush motors..... not even Charlie Strang or Jack Leek knew about the project.......

Edgar Rose hid the prototypes away so thoroughly that 2 days later even he couldn't find them...but if they ever actually got on one of those bi-plane hulls that Staudacher and Molinari were developing (also in secret..code named "Molidachers").... they definitely would have been faster than anything else to this day..... :D :D.

T2x

P.S..... This is for all those guys who are always searching for the "inside story" on minutiae like why the factories chose specific stripe colors on engine cowls for a certain year...
:p :D
Hiya Rich, Been away from this site too long and had forgotten about the Staudanari and the 10 liter hydrofart. That thing had a fifty foot afterburn that was positively lethal, whenever anyone ran behind it , they were badly singed and many drivers had to be given mouth to mouth and a shot of J/D to revive them.APBA had a rule about alky levels during competitions and once burned and cured by the MTM/J/D method, referee's were very strict and insisted on trying the cure for themselves before allowing racing to continue. Stickle is a prime example of the results of being a referee.
The hydrofart was another. Of the short lived inventions.

Mike Ward
06-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Came across this pic from Bristol Docks of Jackie chatting to Gary Garbrecht.

Master Oil Racing Team
06-10-2013, 07:03 PM
I like pit shots the best. Thanks Mike.

Lake X Kid
07-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Came across this pic from Bristol Docks of Jackie chatting to Gary Garbrecht.

Long-haired racers. :)

Powerabout
07-19-2013, 06:40 PM
its always cold so you need insulation

mbd29
07-23-2013, 04:44 AM
Gee Jackie I forgot how handsome you really were back in the day!!!!! You know Gary wasn't looking at you he was looking at the blond standing behind you. You know he wouldn't have been smiling at you.

Rotary John
07-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Long-haired racers. :)
My God Jackie; If I didn't know better, that looks like me a few years back (except for all the hair).

jackie wilson
08-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Gee Jackie I forgot how handsome you really were back in the day!!!!! You know Gary wasn't looking at you he was looking at the blond standing behind you. You know he wouldn't have been smiling at you.

God almighty was that boy ever ugly------so ugly---he was bordering on handsome------small wonder he could pull blondes better than any other guy in the world--AND his knowledge of boats and all things relevant wasn't too shabby either

Lars Strom
10-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Hey..Jackie..Did you ever race in Hawaii??..here is some interesting inboard tunnel boats.

Lars Strom
10-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Well Jackie..just to get you going for the OFF meeting 2013..

This is Jeff Briggs ON class 2 liter Evinrude V6 in Paris Six Hours 1974..this boat was doing way better than most of the 2 liter Merc´s..but the Scotti boat lost some plywood....;)..I guess to much power..!!

Powerabout
10-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Is that the only photo of the illustrious 2ltr v6 mystery engine in existence?

Mike Ward
10-29-2013, 03:46 AM
Do you remember when race boats were less sophisticated, had names and fun to race? You could also have a conversation as your overtook your fellow competitor!

Jackie (22) racing runabouts c.1962

Mike Ward
10-29-2013, 03:55 AM
In a previous thread, Jackie mentioned that he did not know the whereabouts of Rick Frost. I happened to sit next to him at the K7 dinner at the Windermere Motor Boat Club last November. He is currently the owner of Peterborough Panthers Speedway Team.

Lars Strom
10-29-2013, 04:38 AM
That is two very good pictures Mike Ward. Thanks for posting.

jackie wilson
10-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Well Jackie..just to get you going for the OFF meeting 2013..

This is Jeff Briggs ON class 2 liter Evinrude V6 in Paris Six Hours 1974..this boat was doing way better than most of the 2 liter Merc´s..but the Scotti boat lost some plywood....;)..I guess to much power..!!

Too close to the turn buoy is a more likely explanation, or another competitor, Jeff Briggs was always hard nosed, I never yet came across any respectable tunnel boat that shed its skin due to horsepower------------specially a 2 liter.
Another case of wistful thinking methinks, but there's nowt wrong with dreams of doing better.
You reckon Briggsey was doing better than most Mercs????? Does that mean there was only a few in front of him????

jackie wilson
10-29-2013, 12:33 PM
In a previous thread, Jackie mentioned that he did not know the whereabouts of Rick Frost. I happened to sit next to him at the K7 dinner at the Windermere Motor Boat Club last November. He is currently the owner of Peterborough Panthers Speedway Team.
By all that's holy never thought I would ever see Rick Frost or Andy Elliot again.
Andy started in junior racing along with my son Mark and Tiff Needell when they were about ten years old.
Still have my K7 gold star (number9)
Last K7 dinner I attended was when Keith Duckworth was awarded the Harmsworth trophy for services to powerboating (for "The Cosworth") and Richard Noble was touting for funds for "The Thrust project.
ToldRichard at the time I didn't, think his project would ever get off the drawing board.
OK. So I sometimes get it a shade wrong, but that was 1978 and probably the last time I did !!!!!!

jackie wilson
10-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Hey..Jackie..Did you ever race in Hawaii??..here is some interesting inboard tunnel boats.

Still on my wish list of things to do before I cop my clogs.
Met Bob Nordskog many times in Paris and Dave Packer in Havasu, but no, I have never visited Hawaii
Son Mark once bought a Seebold off Dave Packer I believe.
Shows just how popular the KT.'s were, back in the day.
Still think this is the way to go racing again, would be east to rig a 100mph boat from any one of twenty +power plants, and interesting stern gear-----Merc, ILMOOR, arneson and Teague.

jackie wilson
10-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Do you remember when race boats were less sophisticated, had names and fun to race? You could also have a conversation as your overtook your fellow competitor!

Over fifty years since .that picture was taken at Iver, the home of THE LONDON MOTOR BOAT RACING CLUB.
Cyril Benstead was commandatorie and Jimmy Baird the commentator

, Andrew and Janet Peignton were the timekeepers,Ted jones was the rescue boat with Bill Benson, Peter Benstead was Vice Comm, Len and Edie Britnell ran the canteen before Len became Commodore, Oh yes don't forget old Ma Tredgett.
We would leave Sussex on Friday night and load the tent in the van, hook the boat up, pile all five kids in and camp at Iver until Sunday night.
This happened every weekend from Easter to October when we all did the pilgrimage to Paris , then back for Windermere week. Happy days as the fonze used to say.

jackie wilson
10-30-2013, 01:00 AM

Had a couple of days to reflect on that picture Mike.
That was LES GOODALL in his John Iddon designed DERRY.
My boat was a RON WOLBOLD designed blue fin with LUCKY ENGLAND as crew that day,GRAHAM BURTON was normally crew.
Easter weekend if I remember?????
First of these was ordered by JOHN MERRYFIELD from a HAL KELLY design

Steve Pinson
10-30-2013, 05:54 AM
Over fifty years since .that picture was taken at Iver, the home of THE LONDON MOTOR BOAT RACING CLUB.
Cyril Benstead was commandatorie and Jimmy Baird the commentator

, Andrew and Janet Peignton were the timekeepers,Ted jones was the rescue boat with Bill Benson, Peter Benstead was Vice Comm, Len and Edie Britnell ran the canteen before Len became Commodore, Oh yes don't forget old Ma Tredgett.
We would leave Sussex on Friday night and load the tent in the van, hook the boat up, pile all five kids in and camp at Iver until Sunday night.
This happened every weekend from Easter to October when we all did the pilgrimage to Paris , then back for Windermere week. Happy days as the fonze used to say. Hi-Jackie what was the name of Len Britnells scrutineer mate he was small with a crooked back wore glasses used a chair to climb up to the boats in the trailer park he was often seen with his legs sticking out of the cockpit at scrutineering?

jackie wilson
10-30-2013, 06:55 AM
Hi-Jackie what was the name of Len Britnells scrutineer mate he was small with a crooked back wore glasses used a chair to climb up to the boats in the trailer park he was often seen with his legs sticking out of the cockpit at scrutineering?

Joey Treggitt, Edie Britnell's brother, and old ma Treggit's son, he worked for R.P.BARRUS the Johnson importers and raced in the D class with Len Brittnell who was his brother in law, meekest guy in the world so Johnny Hulme nicknamed him "Tiger Treggitt" and the name stuck for the next fifty years.

Steve Pinson
11-02-2013, 04:39 AM
Joey Treggitt, Edie Britnell's brother, and old ma Treggit's son, he worked for R.P.BARRUS the Johnson importers and raced in the D class with Len Brittnell who was his brother in law, meekest guy in the world so Johnny Hulme nicknamed him "Tiger Treggitt" and the name stuck for the next fifty years. Hi Jackie brings back good old memories talking about these old racing drivers from your past i remember my first 24hr race at Chasewater in 1968 i was 20yrs old and my co drivers were around 50yrs old at the time they were Archi Rolls and Ron Burchell who i may add was a mainstay for powerboat racing in the lincolnshire area he also ran the Grimsby+Cleethorpes powerboat club and really worked hard to encourage young would be powerboat racers.I often get asked how it was to drive a powerboat flat out in the dark at night with no lighting how would you describe it?.