PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed w/ 4-carb Chrysler 150 Stacker

RogerH
05-29-2007, 05:51 PM
I will be building a 150hp Stacker and want to use this 4-carb intake on the motor. I have no idea what reed blocks and carbs should be used. I was told that the 50hp might fit. Note the bolt pattern for the reed blocks. The motor has high compression heads and some healthy porting.

Any help identifying the reeds and carbs I need to use would be appreciated. If you have some for sale, that would be even better.

Thanks,
Roger

brichter
05-30-2007, 06:09 AM
Roger,
Normally, those fronts use manifolds made from the 70-90 3 cylinder motors and use the carbs from the same....reeds are from 3 or 4 cyl motors.

I have a 4 carb motor built by Joe Michellini who teamed up with Jack Oxley and Danny snead for an attempt at the world speed record. They reached 122 on a kilo run in 67.

I have the stuff you need to complete yours and pictures of my motor, for some reason BRF won't let me post them(?).
You can email me at brichter@intermatic.com or call (815)675-7787.
Bill

brichter
05-30-2007, 07:25 AM
Ok....I got it to work.

wolfgang
05-31-2007, 01:20 AM
Hi, this is Wolfgang in South Africa. I am currently busy with the conversion of a 4-cylinder Force to two 2-bbl carbs off a 140 hp OMC. Also on the project list is the conversion of another late model Force block to throttle-slide programmable fuel injection. For that, two Force 3-cylinder crankcase fronts are used. This requires cutting, TIG welding and line boring, among other things. Chrysler/Force used the same reed-block design for all engines from 50 hp up. Very late (maybe 1997), they introduced a new reed block design with rubberized cage. This is not necessarily required. Boyesen reeds are recommended. With improved carburation and increased compressionI would expect that significanly less ignition advance can be used.
Has anybody any recommendations regarding advance numbers, when using avgas/racing gas 100/130 and 180 psi compression?

Fast Fred
05-31-2007, 04:19 AM
a cross flow needs more timin, a looper will only take so much, max crank speed is a factor, 20deg max advance on a screemer looper, some you can lean one or so more, start at like 17-18deg and bumpup.:cool:

Mark75H
05-31-2007, 05:54 AM
a cross flow needs more timin, a looper will only take so much, max crank speed is a factor, 20deg max advance on a screemer looper, some you can lean one or so more, start at like 17-18deg and bumpup.:cool:
Fred is this based on direct information about the Chryslers or just a guess?

RogerH
05-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Bill,
Thanks for straightening me out about the manifold and the parts I need to complete the project. Will post some pictures when I get time to work on this.
Thanks,
Roger

Roy Hodges
05-31-2007, 05:09 PM
a cross flow needs more timin, a looper will only take so much, max crank speed is a factor, 20deg max advance on a screemer looper, some you can lean one or so more, start at like 17-18deg and bumpup.:cool:..................................... ..................................
Seems to me ,if I remember correctly, when I went to Chrysler Outboard School in 1972 , that the timing on a 130 horse 4 cylinder was 36 minus4 degrees . And a good one had about 150 pounds compression/cylinder. ( 36 deg. at cruise throttle, 32 at full throtle)

Fast Fred
05-31-2007, 05:45 PM
well looks like a Cred' check on thred one, i am how ever failin to see how workin at or not workin at Chrysler would make it a guess, any way "the more efficient
a engine is the less timein it will tolerate" this is a base point to start, to Start any thing, kinda like salt, you can always add some more, but once you figured out you've gone to far, it's to late, crossflow be more forgiven,been there, more than once:cool:

Fast Fred
05-31-2007, 06:02 PM
rpm range has a lot to do with it, thinkin the range was 5800 or so at that mark.

Mark75H
05-31-2007, 06:05 PM
well looks like a Cred' check on thred one, i am how ever failin to see how workin at or not workin at Chrysler would make it a guess, any way "the more efficient a engine is the less timein it will tolerate" this is a base point to start, to Start any thing, kinda like salt, you can always add some more, but once you figured out you've gone to far, it's to late, crossflow be more forgiven,been there, more than once:cool:

So you were just guessing off the cuff with no direct experience with the motors in question ...

Fast Fred
05-31-2007, 07:26 PM
Nay, it was never said how fast he was guna try and spin it, with 4 2bbls,
i'm thinkin 28deg is ware he'll be, but it would be best to sneak up on it:eek:
call it a guess if ya like:cool: i was thinkin a sound place to start with out gettin in any trouble and that you can find your way to ware ya was tryin to go , on your own.

RogerH
06-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks to Bill R. I have 3/4 of the parts I need to complete the 4-carb intake. I need another intake manifold from a 1970 - 1990 3-carb motor and at least one more carb and reed block. Does anyone know of a place to get these (dismantler?) or someone that might have an old donor motor? See picture.
Thanks,
Roger

mercguy
06-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks to Bill R. I have 3/4 of the parts I need to complete the 4-carb intake. I need another intake manifold from a 1970 - 1990 3-carb motor and at least one more carb and reed block. Does anyone know of a place to get these (dismantler?) or someone that might have an old donor motor? See picture.
Thanks,
Roger

Roger, have you tried any of your local Outboard Motor dealerships in your area? All the ones I have been to usually have "blown up" Forces all over the place, available for parts..........(my shop doesn't though, sorry)

RogerH
06-10-2007, 06:45 AM
Daren,
I do have to venture out, but where I live there isn't anything within miles. The boating here is so focused on high performance bass boats and cruisers that "small" outboards are non-existent. I've been here five years now and have yet to locate anything remotely related to Chrysler/Force. Mercury and Yamaha are huge here, but not much else.
Thanks for the thought. Hope all is going well with you since relocating. Take care.
Roger

Bill Gohr
06-10-2007, 07:00 AM
Call Dick at Dick's, they just made the same motor have any part you're looking for 847 587 2102

RogerH
07-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Take a look at Bill Richter's post showing his 4-carb set-up on page one. It has two 2-carb pieces and Bill tells me that the equalization slots are epoxy'd shut. I've attached a picture of the stock 3-cylinder 70hp intake, split apart to show the slots. Its weird that 1&3 are directly attached and on the other side 1,2&3 have a common slot. Why??? For a 150 racing application should I just block these off, or connect the slots to all the cylinders?????

My guess is that these slots only effect idle characteristics, but really don't know what they do. What do you think?

RogerH
07-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Try this one.

Mark75H
07-12-2007, 06:49 PM
YEs, those slots are to improve idling. If you aren't going to troll for very long you don't need to worry about them.

RogerH
07-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Finished the throttle / distributor linkage today and can assemble the 4-carb unit for good once the reed block gaskets arrive. I need to order/replace all the bearings for the modified 150hp motor and then put it back together. Another day.
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions along the way.
Regards,
Roger

mercmack
07-30-2007, 08:46 AM
Just Seen Another 3 Cyl Merc 70hp On E-bay..
Check Out No...140143267023...its Only 50 Bucks Not Bad..
P.s. If You Think My Asking Price On Merc Motor Mounts Are Too High ..make Offer..

RogerH
07-31-2007, 04:06 AM
Dwayne,
Thanks for keeping me posted on the motors. I've purchased the 1st 70 hp motor and will follow the 2nd. The 1st one looked like it was missing a lot of the peripheral items but not sure. I've already sent you the payment for the mounts yesterday.
Thanks,
Roger

mercmack
07-31-2007, 04:35 PM
Was Just Reading Your First Posts Again..force Made A Square Reed Assy ..the Late Three/four Cylinder Engs Had Them..they Will Bolt Right Up The The Old Stuff..i Am In The Prossess Of Puting A 90hp Head Complete On A 70/75 Hp Unit..(gives Me A Small Gear Case) And Uses Merc Props..i Put These Reeds On It..they Have A Rubber Base On The Blocks Like The Jap Motors Use.. Just A Idea.
Dwayne
Ps Thanks For The Sale Will Ship Them Right Away..
Will Be Watching E-bay To Keep You Informed On The Above Stuff

RogerH
07-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Got my "D" Looper motor back from the media blaster today so will focus on getting that back together as I have all the parts waiting to go.

mercmack
10-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Theres A Cool Carb Kit On E-bay Looks Like It Come With Adapters And Spare Parts Too....150175879359...you Merc Can Look Like A Omc Mod 50..