PDA

View Full Version : Need A List: A Moment of Silence

Ron Hill
06-20-2007, 10:12 PM
John Sherlock has his thread "Those Who Are No Longer With Us"...I don't want to "High Jack" his thread (Concept), but would like to put a list together that we need to have a moment of silence for, at Depue...2007.

I thought we'd started this list but can't find it...

I'll start with:

Jerry Waldman
Harry Bartolomei
Bill DeSilva
Bill Seebold Sr.
O.F. Christner
Bob Henry
Bill Fales
James Hauenstein
Fred Hauenstein Sr.
Baldy Baldwin
"Pop" and Hal Tolford
Rocky Stone
Ray Nydahl
Jane Smith
Sid and Bob Urytzkiand
Mickey (Sid Craft Boats)
Nick Marchetti
John Alden
Bill Jack Rucker Sr.
Frank and Frankie Signarillo
Bob Ziemer
Jerry Walin
Harman Herbert
Homer Kincade
Bud Wiget
Manuel Carnakis
Henry Wagner
Pep Hubbell

Help me add to the list...Help me add some names to the list....Help me with spelling...

Jeff Lytle
06-21-2007, 04:07 AM
Our Canadian brother Vic Pede was killed racing 250H in Acworth Ga.

We would appreciate Vic being added to the list.

Composite Specialties
06-21-2007, 04:18 AM
I would like to add my Dad, Randy Johnson to the list. He raced at Depue for many years.

Gene East
06-21-2007, 05:09 AM
Earle Hull, Eston Johnson, Jim Griffin, Lee St. Clair, Clem Landis, Larry Latta,
Jack McGrury, Bob McFarland, Walter Courtois, Jack Irwin, Ernie LaRose

BustnlooseIII
06-21-2007, 06:33 AM
Nick Davis and Gerry Drake would be appropriate to the list. I would also like to add my Grandfather, Ralph Stahl, a dedicated racer back in his day and whom brought his family into the sport.

Master Oil Racing Team
06-21-2007, 06:44 AM
Jack Chance
Ray Hardy
Harry Pasturczak
Jim Stone
Raymond Jeffries
Lucky Lund
Joe Bowdler
Buddy McBride
Buddy Aylor
Roland and Red Pruett
Dub Parker
"Old Man" Leavendusky
Mama and Papa Smith
Floyd Hopkins
Millie and Mabel Harrison
Ann Strang
Mel and Mary Kirts
Walt Blankenstein

miss priss
06-21-2007, 07:28 AM
Please add Scott Hooghkirk, Bob Hooghkirk and Richard "Dickie" Scopinich to the list. Scott is my brother and Bob is my dad. Dickie was a good friend of my family. Thanks so much.

Master Oil Racing Team
06-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Yes, absolutely Miss Priss

I knew about Bob, I didn't know about Scott, and I heard both ways about Dickie. I am sad to hear what was reported last year as being true.

Right after planning for DePue started, Joe and I had discussed a moment of silence at the event, but then we decided that there may be some that we just completely forgot about and there would be many that we didn't know about. So we decided it would be better not to recite names lest we forget someone. But I think this forum is a good way to remember all those we had so many great times with.

So here's a few more I remembered a little while ago.

Bob McFarland
Charlie Westbrook
Dr. Simison
Jerry Pennington
Tom Baldwin

SandyPlummer
06-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Alex Pugh
Bill Feisler
Fred Lonsdorf
Jack Dodge

SandyPlummer
06-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Bob Smith

Jeff Lytle
06-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Another Krazy Kanuck and great boat racer who ran in DePue, Armand Hebert

F-12
06-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Need to add Hap Mulvany to the list. He was the one quoted as saying "There is a lot of money in outboard racing. I know, I put a lot of it in there."

Steveracer
06-21-2007, 01:11 PM
I would like to add Dean Wilson Sr., Joanne Wilson and Jeff Wilson.

Steveracer
06-21-2007, 01:18 PM
R.L. "Doc" Collins

Ron Hill
06-21-2007, 10:28 PM
Not sure we could mention Doc Collins, without his dad..."POP"...Doctor R.L. Collins was quite a supporter of Outbord Racing, for sure...

Need to add;

John Toprahanian (Spelled wrong, F Runabout)
Mark Root (Jay's dad)...Hope I'm right with this name...
"Racing" Jack..Biagio
Leonard Keller
Norm Weiss
The guy from Ontario who helped Hauenstein...Oh, Mike Harbuska.

Is John Soto, Gary Sayles, Bob Davenport still with us???

Gene East
06-22-2007, 04:25 AM
Is Claude Fox still living? I last talked to him when we were organizing the O.F. Christner memorial race. I have not been able to contact him for this event.
If Claude is still with us he should be invited. If he is at Lake Paradise, he should be remembered.

jrome
06-22-2007, 05:20 AM
Gene,talked to him about a year ago .Marshall Saw him at one of the Statler Bros. final shows. Marshall said he still had JET BLACK hair.

Tim Chance
06-22-2007, 07:24 AM
A few from way up north.
Dave Berg
Wally Roman
Fred Petter
Floyd Wilson
Bill Tenney
Kurt Almos
Dick Young
Don Tarnowski
Larry Rodgers

F-12
06-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Almost forgot the one person that got me involved in this wonderful sport..........my Dad, Doc Bradley. Wayne can add a little bit of trivia with his intro to Doc. He raced back in the 20's and was still active through the 70's. He had never met a boat racer he didn't like and was a big supporter of most any race he could attend. He would have liked to be at the reunion since most of us were up and comers (yes, even Bruce Summers) when he was the Doc-on-call at the Depue races.

Kristi Ellison
06-23-2007, 07:50 AM
My Dad Pete Hellsten and what about Fred Brinkman and Jim Stone.

Kristi Ellison

SandyPlummer
06-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Another from way up north:
Dave Shaughnessy

Kristi Ellison
06-24-2007, 06:13 AM
How about Shakeshaft Sr.? Henry right?

Ron Hill
06-24-2007, 08:17 AM
Henry...Yes.

Walter L. Courtois...a legend in California Boat Racing folklore...
Jack Maypole
Bill Tenny
Doug Creech
Hubert Entrop
Chuck Parsons
Tommy Newton
Orlando Torgiani
Burt Ross
Jack Leek (Jack and Burt were brother-in-laws)
Charlie Wick
Scott Smith: Over Seas Distributor of Konig Outboards

Skoontz
06-24-2007, 08:33 AM
Add Lou Eppel. Along with Jack Maypole, he was on the list in a 1972 50th anniversary publications Johnson called, "Jottings". You could also add Bill Rankin, who was Jack Leek's racing mentor when he first started, and Hal Kelly, ( I think he is gone) who is on numerous pages in John Sherlock's incredible web pages.

MissKTdoodle
06-24-2007, 12:34 PM
U-60 and U-62 driver Bill Muncey diserves a moment of silence
and
U-6 Driver- Jim McCormack
And
My Grandpa,Charles Schwab, I never met him but I have heard many stories about him...
People would drive 60 miles to have him work on their boat. He also helped build the Star Flite III or the IVth one. I am not very sure... But my dad said he was the man that you would drive for miles to have your boat worked on...
He was good friends with Mouse back in the day. He passed away when my dad was 17 or 18 I believe. He was young too. His life is still in others hearts.
R.I.P

Ray Lumpkin
06-25-2007, 08:01 AM
I would like to add my Dad, Randy Johnson to the list. He raced at Depue for many years.
Marc,
I met your dad at Portsmouth Virginia race, also at many winter meetings. As I was an OPC racer we did not see each other very offen but he was one of the nicest boat racers I ever met! In the 1970s I came down with a friend to buy a 1500XS Mercury from your dad and granddad. We staryed at your dads home for the nite and were treated wonderful. I will never forget the visit and how great we were treated!!
Ray

Master Oil Racing Team
06-25-2007, 09:21 AM
Yes, Kristi it is Henry. HP Shakeshaft II

Also Dale Sellers and Mr. and Mrs. Henry Grupe--a famous engine builder from Dallas area.

OK Charley here is the trivia. DePue 1972 I had qualified my A D and F hydros. On the back straight of the first lap of C hydro I had a good lead with Billy Seebold chasing me when I did one of those tree topping blowovers. The only time I ever blew over in my career. They were going to haul me in to get checked out, but we still had one more qualifying heat and if I went to the hospital I would miss it. Your Dad, Doc Bradley, said he would check me out. He did, so they let me stay. I won my qualifying heat of B Hydro, but Billy Seebold said I wouldn't be able to race in the finals. He was right. I was so stove up the next day I couldn't even move my neck and one of the little floating ribs was moving around.

chip johnson
06-25-2007, 10:04 AM
c.d.mitchell davids farther

Jeff Lytle
06-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Yes, Kristi it is Henry. HP Shakeshaft II

I always remembered Shake as HP Shakeshaft Jr., and Henry was the III.

Master Oil Racing Team
06-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Yeah, that's the way it was Jeff. I was just meaning the one Kristi referred to was No. 2. But I forget, was it Jr. or no. 3 that was called Shakey? Seems like it is Henry the III'rd.

Amateur Photog
06-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Tom Hardin
Bill Billiter
"Gibby" Peterman
Harry and Ruby O'Brien

John Schubert T*A*R*T
06-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Yeah, that's the way it was Jeff. I was just meaning the one Kristi referred to was No. 2. But I forget, was it Jr. or no. 3 that was called Shakey? Seems like it is Henry the III'rd.

Henry the 3rd who was hurt in 500 hydro could very well have been called Shaky but his dad was called that long before he was even back in the 50's when he raced the old iron, runabout & hydro & Eleanor raced M hydro.

Master Oil Racing Team
06-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks for straightening that out John. I just had a distant memory of Shaky, but couldn't remember which one to tie it too. I do hope that Henry does show up. I have a cool B&W pic of him walking down the meandering bike path at Winona wearing his Gentex.

Mark75H
06-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Hank Bowman

ronus747
06-25-2007, 09:24 PM
I'd like to add my dad.....Dennis McClellan, who ran from the 50's
to the 80's.....Razorback Racing P-5

Tim Chance
06-26-2007, 11:04 AM
First of all it is Gerry Waldman. Gerry with a G.

As I looked the names over I see that one great person, a good friend, and excellent driver that died way too young has yet to be listed. I was at a NOA Championship race and he won the first heat or A or B Hydro because everybody else jumped the gun. So all he had to do is finish the second heat and he was the Champion. And finish he did. Right on the clock, drove like a man possessed and won the heat. After the race someone scolded him for driving so hard. He could have jumped the gun, he could have flipped, he could have blown up, etc. etc. He answered something like: "I came here to win a Championship, not back into one and win by default. I wanted to win fair and square, and I did." I'll post his name in a day or two.

With Faust painted on the cowl of his hydro - Ted Thompson.

sal29
09-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Art Welsh

merc800
09-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Ted May

nightwing
09-05-2010, 01:22 PM
dean wilson sr and jeff wilson

Kermit SST45
09-07-2010, 08:53 PM
George Stratton a great person and one hell of a racer.