06-29-2007, 02:47 PM
page 3

Dave_E71
06-29-2007, 02:48 PM
page 4

David Weaver
07-02-2007, 04:21 AM
Qualifications must have been wild!!

OF the 55, I have met/known 29 in my life.

Dave_E71
07-02-2007, 09:17 AM
*speaking quietly* hell David, I've raced with a some of them.....

Dr. Thunder
07-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Of the 55 boats in AOH ... anybody have any memory of the various engines that were being run that year ... in other words how many were Konigs, Anzanis, Quincy, Mercs, (hotrods)? I was there but don't remember anymore:confused:

David Weaver
07-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Of the 55 boats in AOH ... anybody have any memory of the various engines that were being run that year ... in other words how many were Konigs, Anzanis, Quincy, Mercs, (hotrods)? I was there but don't remember anymore:confused:

That by this time the dominant engine was becoming the Konig FA, in either the original 2 pipe format or the single-pipe format that had a long run as the top engine until the Yamato's showed-up in the late 70's. I would guess also that the Quincy Loopers were at their performance peak, but losing ground against the sliding expansion chambers.

Does anyone remember the woman driver from DePue named Mary?

David Weaver
07-02-2007, 10:20 AM
*speaking quietly* hell David, I've raced with a some of them.....

I count eight that I have driven against. I would have been 7 in 1972.

I believe that we skipped this race, as the world championships were in Alexandria the following weekend. We went directly to Alexandria and the national particpants starting trickling in shortly thereafter. That was tough scheduling!!

Composite Specialties
07-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Region 4 was well represented that year with my Dad, our team mate Harry Schiffman, Mal Harden, Augustines, Shakshaft. Those were the best days.....

ProHydroRacer
07-02-2007, 12:36 PM
That by this time the dominant engine was becoming the Konig FA, in either the original 2 pipe format or the single-pipe format that had a long run as the top engine until the Yamato's showed-up in the late 70's. I would guess also that the Quincy Loopers were at their performance peak, but losing ground against the sliding expansion chambers.

Sure do Dave! Mary Barto sister to racer Joe Barto and married to Phil Howard pit crew help and future driver Jim Trimble(sp)

David Weaver
07-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Sure do Dave! Mary Barto sister to racer Joe Barto and married to Phil Howard pit crew help and future driver Jim Trimble(sp)

And I assume that Jim Trimble is related to Josh Trimble, who now has a 350cc hydroplace. A wonderful boat racing heritage in DePue!!

denny henderson
07-02-2007, 01:44 PM
I remember the heat I was in like it was yesterday. It was the first time for me at DePue, in fact, my first APBA Natl. Championship. Craig Lawrence and I made the trip with Al Davis and Joe Cohen, we both ran "A" Hydro, both had Marchetties and "A" Konigs, and as you can see, they put both of us in the same heat. You had to run 1st or 2nd to qualify. I have never been so intimidated. Some of the fine people I met there in '72 were Tim Butts, Rex Hall, Barry Wilson, Rich Krier, Jane Smith, Bobby Olson, Charlotte Queen, and Mike Schmidt, to name a few. Most everyone was running the FA Konig, but there were also quite a few flatheads.
There were several of us that got to the first turn about the same time. I remember being right next to Bobby Olson going into that turn. I came out in front and led going into the second turn. That's where I screwed up. I was unaware of what would happen to an "A" Konig if you held the pipe up and let off the throtle just a bit. It died immediately. I suppose it was a good lesson, but it was a tough one. The first guy by was Tim Butts, followed by Bobby Olson as I coasted to a stop.
55 "A" Hydros. It was tough to make the Show. I was showing 81 mph back then, about the same speed as the 125s are today.
Anyone remember the rain storm at the end of the day on Sunday during Two Man "F" Runabout? The water came up so fast, our trailer axles were under water when we pulled out.
David, the year that the World Championship was the following weekend at Alex. was 1973.

Denny

Master Oil Racing Team
07-02-2007, 02:25 PM
And Joe Barto bought Tim Butts' original Aerowing and A looper.

Denny, I remember you and Craig having to be in the same qualifying heat and thinking that stinks. Al and Joe had to hustle. That was the race where I blew over my C hydro. That was a bummer too. And it was also the last alky nationals Billy Seebold raced in.

Back in those days it was typical in A and B hydro that you would have to run 1st or 2nd in a qualifying heat to make the finals. All my best photos of that race were in a carosel that I loaned to somebody for a boat show and never got them back.

denny henderson
07-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Wayne,

It's amazing how little I knew about boats and engines back then, even though I'd been racing around Dallas for 9 years, since I was 13. It wasn't until that race that I really started trying to get better and go faster. I remember this so clearly. I stood around Marshall and Billy's boats forever looking at them, trying to figure out how they went so fast. I finally spotted something, it was the only thing I could find that was different from other boats and engines, and I really thought I had something. On one of their engines, the cavitation plate was cut off shorter than the std.cav. plate that Deter put on lower units. I went back to my pits and sawed off my cav. plate. It was rediculous, but it got me to thinking about little things. I'll have to thank Marshall for that when I see him in a couple of weeks.

Denny

racnbns
07-02-2007, 07:38 PM
I have the elim. sheets posted above plus Shirleys foot notes on the margins and the list of the finals and also the list of the champ down to fifth place. I'll bring this stuff to De Pue and have it on display in my trailer.

Bruce

Master Oil Racing Team
07-03-2007, 07:38 AM
I'm going to stop by your trailer for a look Bruce. It's great for all you guys that saved this stuff, and the notes will make it especially interesting.

Denny---I was trying to remember the storm during two man runabout and the water coming up and I couldn't recall until I remembered we were pulling out to go home already when all that happened. It was a low point in my career. Not because my ribs and neck hurt and I missed the finals, but because of what happened to Joe.

We were just trying to "Get Out of Dodge" when the downpour hit. We were about a block from the main street when Joe came up to the window of our surburban. Poor Joe---he was a drownded rat.;) His rent car wouldn't start. He had to get back to Chicago for a flight and he barely had enough time without the car problem. He said he needed some jumper cables or wire, but I can't remember what. It was raining so hard my Dad just rolled the window down a couple of inches. For some reason we had our F Konig in the back. I just reached back and jerked the hot wire off the coils and handed it to Joe through the cracked window. I still remember the look on his face when he realized we were going to leave him stranded.:( I can never make that up to him, but after all these years it makes for story we always remember, & we can laugh about it now (a little).

Marshall Grant had been commuting between the White House and DePue every day that week preparing for the Johnny Cash Show to perform for President Nixon. Marshall told Joe "Joe....I've made that trip to O'Hare and back every day this week, and I can tell you.....you're not going to make it."

Master Oil Racing Team
07-12-2007, 07:25 AM
I found my results from the 1972 Nationals at DePue Bruce, though not all complete with heat by heat results in some. It will be interesting to look at your notes.

Mike Schmidt
07-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Of the 55 there are still a several guys racing, but how many are dumb enough to still be racing A Hydro 35 years latter ?????????

Two dumb blond haired kids that have not grown up yet......

One is now grey and the other one just don't have much hair.

Michael D-1

fourblade50
09-20-2008, 11:56 PM

david,
Her last name was Barto.I grew up in Depue and i remember the nationals back in the 70s. I think it was joey bartos sister

Gene East
09-21-2008, 07:35 AM
I remember that downpour during F-Runabout very well. I was in it riding deck for Wayne Walgrave!

We were leading on the last lap coming into the final turn. Visibility was a minus 10. Wayne for taking his bearings on a boat we were about to lap. Unfortunately that boat was dead in the water and had drifted past the turn.
As we blew by the first bouy, I caught a glimpse of it out of the corner of my eye. I beat on wayne's shoulder to get his attention and pointed back to the bouy. Wayne cranked as hard a left turn as has ever been done in 2-man F, but too late.

Two "Kraut Eatin Sob's" got inside of us and there went our championship.

I don't remember who the other teams were and I mean no disrespect in calling them by their middle names; but hey guys,cut me some slack, that's as close as I ever came to getting my name in the record books!

Mike Schmidt
09-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Could one of them been Doug Bindram ? He won FRR with a Konig in ithe early to mid 70's.

Michael D-1

Master Oil Racing Team
09-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Well Gene.....you're in my record book. I don't remember when I wrote this stuff down, but you see I filled your name in the blank and to the left are results of the first five places. Man, that was a tough bunch to run against. No wonder it still sticks in your craw. That championship would have been something anybody would have been proud to hang on his wall.

And you remembered correctly Mike.