PDA

View Full Version : Glastron Molinari Restoration

Scot Keller
08-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Glastron Molinari Restoration

I’m helping a friend restore a circa 67/70 Glastron Molinari and I need help form the community. We have loads of questions and could use some expert advice.

We are aiming to restore it “in the spirit” of the original with some realistic additions. It was originally fitted with an Evinrude 100. We have most of the components to recreate the engine, all be it as a 150. It has an authentic mid section, geared lower unit, pan and cover. However we are missing the engine cover gasket and need help identifying the original engine paint color. We could also use some insight into prop sizes.

I have a gazillions of questions regarding set-up. The boat was never equipped with power trim. While we want to stay true to the period, these suckers do go over. Consequently we are going to install trim. Does any one out there have a lead on an old OMC electric unit?

I have tons of questions regarding rigging. Gas tank size & fittings, gauges, steering, paint and decals all need to be sorted out. We would greatly appreciate any help you can provide, including pictures.

This is turning out to be an exciting project that we hope to get done in short order. Anything you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Scot Keller & Joe Schulte.

Mark75H
08-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Which model? Challenger? Contender? 2+2? Or a real racing Moli?

Scot Keller
08-10-2007, 06:47 PM
It's a real deal race boat.

catndahats
08-10-2007, 07:33 PM
That's way cool! Tell us more...pictures too. Where'd you find it?

Those were my favorite boats when I was a kid.

It's a real deal race boat.

Ron Hill
08-10-2007, 09:46 PM
Tinker Collinge and I will restore it for you and keep in good shape...

What info do you need? Single or twin, wood or glass... High Rider...???

Pictures please... and I don't say please often!!!!!

brichter
08-11-2007, 06:22 AM
I am curious about your Evinrude egg-beater, you say it was an Evinrude 100...is it a service 100 horse from the correct time period (1967) or a later service 100?
I think if you really want something authentic looking you would want an X-115 race motor. Some of those were retrofitted with power trim.

Scot Keller
08-12-2007, 03:20 PM
I made a mistake in my post. The engine is not a 150 but a KC (pre-KR) 115.

I'll get some pictures up in a few days.

Scot Keller
08-12-2007, 03:28 PM

You're too kind Mr. Hill. The boat is a single glass 18. We found it here in Michigan. Our biggest need right now is to find out the factory engine paint color.

We would also like to recreate the stock factory Glastron/Moli stickers. Any pictures of those would be nice.

I'm told it used to belong to a left coast racer named Dick Sharpe (sp?). I'll post more details as I get them.

scot

Mark75H
08-12-2007, 05:56 PM
I came up with this:

Mark75H
08-12-2007, 05:58 PM
The decal is a variation of this:

Mark75H
08-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Here are some motor shots: http://sports.webshots.com/album/557962396uWSibi

I think the paint is probably supposed to be this color:http://thumb10.webshots.net/t/57/757/8/88/15/2598888150101354590YqbvSm_th.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2598888150101354590YqbvSm)

Skoontz
08-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Tinker would be the guy to do this restoration. We talked for a long time in the pit, and the man knows the boats well. He was a Merc team driver with one of those boats for a few years and as we discussed them coincidentally, knew every little quirk and corner...

Scot Keller
08-19-2007, 08:23 AM

Ron:

Here are a few pics of the boat. The project is moving along nicely. We're deep into the engine and rigging. Paint and stickers will follow.

Thank you all for the help.

Cheers,

scot

Scot Keller
01-15-2008, 07:34 AM
We starting to piece together everything we need thanks to great input from Ron, Tinker, Jeff, and many others. I greatly appreciate the calls and notes. The old girl is being worked on by the extremely capable guys at Sankuer Composite Technologies (www.sankuercompositetech.com) here is Michigan. The engine and rigging are in process. I’ll post more pictures soon.

catndahats
01-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Scott,
You guys have a dream project going on....I've really been enjoying your posts, the photos, and reading about the "good old days" of my youth.

If I were to restore a race boat, it would ideally be one of the old molinaris...wood, glass, single or twin.

DPA
01-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Nice project! Here are the Molinari pages from the 1970 Glastron brochure.

Scot Keller
02-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the post. These pictures really help us. We are trying really hard to recreate this one in the spirit of the original. Including, in this case, the OE color and stickers.

Mark75H
02-03-2008, 06:30 PM
I have that brochure, too, but I didn't post it because the shape of your cowl is different where it meets the deck at the front.

The basic color scheme would be the same.

Joe Fielder's comments would hold the most weight in your restoration since he worked at Glastron when these boats were made and drove them too

DPA
02-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Sam,
Have you ever seen, or heard of a 2+2?

That brochure shot is the only one that I've ever seen

tthibodaux
02-04-2008, 10:32 AM
My dad raced one (or something just like it) for a couple years. Matter of fact his cousin Kim still has it and runs it on the weekends at the lake with a V4 140 Evinrude . It's not a ski boat so I'm guessing it was a race version. I've never heard it referred to as a 2+2, they just called it the Carlson.

Mark75H
02-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Sam,
Have you ever seen, or heard of a 2+2? That brochure shot is the only one that I've ever seen

Me too. Again, Joe is probably our best source of information.

I think it is odd that no 2+2 Moli has ever turned up. The problem is likely that the people who own them now have no idea what they are, considering the large number of Magnum Missile/Schulze copies there are out there as Rabcos, Seabees etc, the 2+2's are probably mistaken for them

Mark75H
02-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Tim, a few pictures would be awesome if you could get them to send you some. Also if you could ask them to take a tape measure to it and see if it is an 18 footer, that would be a start.

Something that could be a confusing issue is that there were also Carlsons of that size and some had custom bottoms that could probably be mistaken for the G/M 2+2 or may have even been called a 2+2 by Art. To me what really makes a G/M 2+2 a G/M 2+2 is the deck, windshield and seats.

Scot Keller
02-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Here is an update on Joe Schulte’s Glastron. After a couple of weeks in the cue the team at Sankuer Composite Technologies (www.sankuercompositetech.com) got to work. It’s really great seeing the original yellow color show itself. Note that we trimmed the cockpit sides back to the original shape.

As is ALWAYS the case in a restoration project like this we found our first “hidden” surprise. The transom wood has spots of rot. Oddly the exterior looked great until we started stripping everything back. The wet wood was encapsulated deep inside. Not a problem, the new transom will be as strong as the original.

In addition to making sure the structural integrity was sound one of our objectives is to make sure the boat stands tall cosmetically. To prevent the inevitable cracks from the old resign reappearing it will get a thin glass veneer on the decks. It will not add much weight but will make a nice stable base for the new paint.

The next challenge we need to address is the dash. Since we are taking this back from the inline six power to the OMC KC we need to plug the existing holes and figure out the period OMC set-up. My recollection is that boats from this era didn’t have “race” instrumentation beyond the trim indicator. I would appreciate it if anyone could confirm this assumption. If it did have a tach, which one would they have been used on an OMC KC?

Thanks for the help everyone………….

scot keller

Scot Keller
02-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Here are a few shots of the transom.

scot

Ron Hill
02-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Can't believe I didn't see you in Detroit....

Here is the inside back cover ad, from Powerboat, December 1970.

Pretty sure it is Scotti on the right...S-71, seems maybe was Art Kennedy...

You guys are making progress on the "High Rider" Molly!!!!

Scot Keller
02-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Ron:

Here are a few new Glastron pictures. The Hunch-Back has lost her “aero” modification and the bodywork is progressing nicely. Now that we are down to the yellow color we can clearly see the original stripes. They are a little different than the pictures you posted but they look like they came from the factory.

Next week the Sankuer Composite guys are going to build a jig to keep the boat square while they replace the rotten transom wood. I’m guessing it will be out of the composite shop in a couple of weeks and we can start the rigging process.

scot

Ray Lumpkin
02-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Glastron Molinari 2 + 2 Sportabout in shown in a 1970 catalog, 1st picture. I heard years ago that mabey this model was never produced.Other two glass boats shown are Challenger and Contender. Also shown are the wooden Molinaris that you are restoring. I also have ( all this stuff will be on e bay Friday)Glastron Molinari application form ( they would not sell to anyone) with a letter from Glastron and envenlope dated Dec. 15,1970. I have a friend here in the county that still has a nice Glastron Challenger with a 135 Mercury that I rebuilt years ago.

Scot Keller
02-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Ray:

It sounds like you have some cool stuff. We’ll keep an eye out for the e-bay listing. It would make a nice addition to the project. Fortunately the one we are restoring is glass, not wood. It's a shame but most of the wood boats from that era went back to mother earth years ago.

BTW, that glass Lee Craft in your post would make a sensational vintage OPC contender. Do you know were that one is? :rolleyes:

Thanks again Ray.

Scot

Mark75H
02-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Its too bad it will probably fall into the hands of a collector who just files it away like Captain Kidd's lost treasure.

T2x
02-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Its too bad it will probably fall into the hands of a collector who just files it away like Captain Kidd's lost treasure.

Yeah probably in some godawful cave in Georgia..........:D:D:p

T2x

Ray Lumpkin
02-21-2008, 12:02 PM
OK, Guys heres the glass Glastron Molinari I remember. Reggies twin engine Twister 21 foot Molinari. 1970 Hyco Lake , Va East Coasts Marthon Nationals. The Molinari pages are on e bay now! #220204264035. Lets stop crying and bid!

Ray Lumpkin
02-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Jeff
I have 2 , Power Boat magazines that show & tell how that boat was built and rigged for racing. If you have any interest in purchasing theses magazines e mail me. nwlumpkin@yahoo.com. No PM as my PM is full.

Judi Cable
03-30-2009, 12:54 PM
We at gosee.tv/boatracing have super 8mm film of #157 Dick Sharpe racing the actual boat you guys are restoring from '73 in the Pacific Northwest area. I knew Dick personally from racing against him while pit crewwing for #226 Dave Potter Molinari/Mercury. I hope this makes your day! You can E-mail me at mrbenson55@gmail.com for further details- Mark Benson -Producer

Scot Keller
04-06-2009, 02:40 AM
We at gosee.tv/boatracing have super 8mm film of #157 Dick Sharpe racing the actual boat you guys are restoring from '73 in the Pacific Northwest area. I knew Dick personally from racing against him while pit crewwing for #226 Dave Potter Molinari/Mercury. I hope this makes your day! You can E-mail me at mrbenson55@gmail.com for further details- Mark Benson -Producer

Thanks a million Mark. I sent you a note earlier this evening.

scot

Rick Connolly
01-12-2013, 03:41 PM
What happened with this project ??

1969Merc800ShortShaft
03-08-2014, 05:47 AM
Is there another thread here somewhere, with the progress of this historical tunnel boat? thanks