PDA

View Full Version : Names from the past.

Tomtall
02-08-2005, 08:36 PM
The following post's are from "Boatsport" Magazines archive web site @ http://boatsport.org/ It is a list of Dealers,Shops,Boat builders,etc. during that era.See if you remember them! If you have stories about them please share!:)

Tomtall
02-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Page #2

Tomtall
02-08-2005, 08:43 PM
page #3

fred tyson
03-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Does anyone out there recognize the following namesw and know what they all had in common?---Jim Schock-Arlen Crouch- Fred Goehl--Bob Herring- Gerry Waldman ? Put on your hats guys...

Ron Hill
03-09-2005, 04:33 PM
But, I'll guess, they all started in "A" Stock Hydro...

Dr. Thunder
03-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Does anyone out there recognize the following namesw and know what they all had in common?---Jim Schock-Arlen Crouch- Fred Goehl--Bob Herring- Gerry Waldman ? Put on your hats guys...

O.F. Christner?

fred tyson
03-09-2005, 06:37 PM
You are almost correct, as all these guys were topnotch drivers and campaighned the quincy engines for their racing, part of them worked for OF at one time, just checking to see if anyone out there remembered these guys. Remember Waldman and Herring sitting in their 350 class boats at the Mid-South Championships that wer held in Knoxville Tn. in the early 60tys. they wer flipping a coin and when I asked my father what they wer doing , he replied , deciding who is going to win this heat, I thought that was pretty arrogant till I saw those two get around the race course.. real drivers with real equiptment all american made

jrome
03-09-2005, 08:12 PM
After seeing Tomtall's posts from Boat Sport, I thought might someone might like seeing these old pictures.

Ron Hill
03-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Not sure I'm right, but it seems that ws Burt Ross's boat's name..."ROSS GO"... Burt Ross played college Football...he his wife and Jack Leek's wife (OMC Racing director) were sisters.

That 59-R is a Calkins Runabout...not many...Paul Woodroffe and Lee Sutter each had one...loved the workmanship, and the design...they had a Vee bottom, and they rode on one side at speed ..fast

I have to admit, Arlen Crouch is a name that did not ring a bell...but Waldman and Herring could drive HYDROS....Schock could drive both...Won't give an opinion of Freddy Goehl, but heard noithing but great things about his driving...never saw him in action....

Doug Creech set a C OUTBOAR/ALKY Hydro record at Salton Sea in 1952 with a Swift Hydro. It had a deck more like a Mishey than that of a Swift. I want to say the KILO record was 62 and a half...becasue Salton Sea was 150 feet below sea level, most Outboard records were set and held at Salton Sea...

But, Am I wrong that they all race A Stock Hydro???

Dr. Thunder
05-17-2005, 10:40 PM
You are almost correct, as all these guys were topnotch drivers and campaighned the quincy engines for their racing, part of them worked for OF at one time, just checking to see if anyone out there remembered these guys. Remember Waldman and Herring sitting in their 350 class boats at the Mid-South Championships that wer held in Knoxville Tn. in the early 60tys. they wer flipping a coin and when I asked my father what they wer doing , he replied , deciding who is going to win this heat, I thought that was pretty arrogant till I saw those two get around the race course.. real drivers with real equiptment all american made

Fred ... you never told us what the answer was to your question.

PS: Where is Bob Hering now ... what is he doing?

Miss BK
05-18-2005, 07:43 AM
Fred ... you never told us what the answer was to your question.

PS: Where is Bob Hering now ... what is he doing?

He's making awesome propellers for Offshore

http://www.hideawaymarina.com/db4/00329/hideawaymarina.com/_uimages/50HustlerProps.jpg

Hering Propellers
4806 56th Place Northeast
Marysville, WA 98270
360-659-4315

Miss BK
05-18-2005, 07:51 AM
Interesting info:

On April 17, 1986:

Bob Hering set the outboard power boat record of 165.338 mph, in Parker, Arizona

That same day, television viewers are focused on Geraldo Rivera as he opens Al Capone's vault & finds nothing.

(We would have much rather watched Bob set the record!)

Master Oil Racing Team
05-18-2005, 08:40 AM
Fred--I never knew Arlen and Freddie worked for OF. We were pitted next to them at Sunset Lake at Corpus Christi in the fall of 1965. I broke the block of our KG-7 and split the tower housing when I got a slug of water in Mexico, and the B Merc we had just bought wouldn't start. Freddie was winning just about everything in hydro and runabout with his funny looking Konigs. We found out they were dealers, so my Dad wanted to buy some. Freddie said he would sell the ones they were running, but my Dad said we were through buying used engines, we wanted new ones. We had yet to even get to the starting line with our used stuff. The first photo is Freddie Goehl. Sorry I don't have any of Arlen.

2nd photo Jim Schoch. Jim was very talented in both hydro and runabout. Always one of the ones to beat.

3rd photo, Bob Hering. Always at the top regardless of what division or class. When I was first starting, we were at Knoxville and I had my A Konig on an 11-6 or 8 Sidcraft. Bob asked "Why do you have it on such a big boat?" I said "It's the only one I have." He just replied "OK!"

4th photo. That race in Knoxville. Start of a heat of A Hydro.

5th photo. Jerry Waldman at Hot Springs, Ark 1972. He was captain of the North Team in the Invitational Challenge race. This may be the last nonracing photo taken of Jerry. He had just come in from testing and my Dad asked how it was going. He had it floating pretty good. He said "It has good top speed, but it would take a calendar to measure the accelleration." and that is when he spread his arms wide.

smittythewelder
05-26-2005, 04:28 PM
I had an A Konig like yours, with the skinny little factory bounce-pipes, and tried it once on a big heavy BOH Bell-Craft (built by Marcel Belleville, owned, at that point, by Duane Wallick). Despite using my smallest prop, a little old bronze wheel by Papa Smith, that poor little Konig would lose the pipes about a third of the way through the turn, and take a third of the straight to pull them again!

Had a funny experience a couple of years ago when I dropped in on a local wildcat race and found several old-timers from Seattle Outboard. Somebody (nameless here, because he should have known better) was unsuccessfully trying to beach-start his later-model A Konig. He pulled and pulled, took plugs out, checked for spark, pulled and pulled, put plugs in, primed, pulled, etc., etc.. Then his brother, a big strapping guy fifteen years my junior, took over, and pulled and pulled. Tiring of this (it was badly flooded!), I elbowed big brother aside, directed little brother to hold WOT and ditch the primer can, and started pulling. In about ten pulls it started to pop (at which point they wanted to prime it again!!), and with another dozen pulls it was running. When they shut it off, I patted big brother and said, "You guys just needed a Real Man pulling the string!" Dick Rautenburg, having watched the proceedings with knowing ammusement, gave a big snort at this because he had run A Konigs for years and knew that one of their distinctive characteristics was that they had almost zero cranking compression. So much for Real Men!!

Tomtall
01-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Some of our comittee members of APBA in 1964. Recognize anybody? Check out Fred at the bottom page!:eek:

Miss BK
01-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Except for the glasses, Fred hasn't changed a bit !

Tomtall
01-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Well ----------------- The first picture he's smiling!:D

Miss BK
01-06-2006, 02:25 PM
I catch him laughing every now and then.... :D

Tomtall
01-06-2006, 08:03 PM
That's the Fred we all know! Thanks BK. ;)

Tomtall
01-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Southern Californias Cruisers Assocation Photo.Nice hat Thol!

Norm Coote
09-17-2006, 12:59 PM
Regarding the Calkins runabout and it being a Vee bottom, there is only about 1/4" vee in the bottom as George Calkins claims a vee is faster than a flat bottom. There were about two dozen A/B built and maybe five of the C/D model. The boats don't run on one side but do turn with the outside down or at least pressure is put on the outside or they won't turn well. I am pretty sure of this as I currently have one and race it regularly. I have built two of the A/B models and rebuilt the bottom of Paul Woodruffs' D as I lived with George in the 50's and worked with him.
Neat to see that photo of John Sangster who by the way in the 1955 nationals at Devils Lake ran away from the field in the first heat but couldn't restart for the second.
Norm Coote

Tomtall
10-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Taking this thread a little further. This post has names that were listed in Tim Chances Hydroplane quarterly magazine back in 1970. The article is off the Boatsport web site http://boatsport.org/. which has many new magazines and manuals added over the past year. (great site):)

Do you recognize any names from these 1970 races?

Skoontz
10-12-2007, 06:12 AM
and, living in chicago Geraldo's carrer ending vault fiasco was too stupid for us to watch. We all knew he was in the Lexington, where we had snuck into un numerous occasions...We also knew, those vaults he would focus on, were the coal bins that were used to stoke the furnaces to heat the steam....Capone had no vaults in this hotel....Most of his stash was kept on a boat that he always had out in the middle of the lake under paid guard.....

Dan Rather comes to mind of recent days, when someone used false info to fill air time.....

Master Oil Racing Team
10-12-2007, 07:41 AM
You had me confused at first Skoontz. I had to go back and find Miss BK's post to figure out what you were referring to. If I can find them I'll post some pics of Al Capone's boat. From the inside. Along around 1974 Jimmy Storm, owner of an offshore drilling company, Marine Drilling, bought that boat. He brought it in to the marina at Corpus Christi. A couple of weeks after he brought it in, his niece Becky gave me a personal guided tour. There was some kind of certificate or memento that the previous owner had mounted in brass and screwed to a wall in one room that referred to Al Capone. I forget what it said, but seems like there was something on that boat that referred to a monkey. Jimmy Storm has passed on and that boat was such a familiar sight for so long, I haven't paid any attention to whether or not it is still there.

Skoontz
10-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Very cool, Wayne....Now keep in mind that Capone was supposed to hang all over various places where it has been confirmed he had never been...What comes to mind is "The hideaway" in Valley View Illinois, an awesome steak house that wa sa '20's speak easy...Big all all over the place, even a pair of consecutive serial numbered cast/machined Thompson model 27's hanging under glass....

Rumor is that he loved this dish or that dish, fact is, he never set foot in the joint!