PDA

View Full Version : Harry Pasturzak

scotti c
08-30-2007, 10:10 AM
looking for info on harry pasturzak . 15 years ago i married a pasturzak ( very few of them around ) working on the family tree.
any info would be wonderful thanks.:)

jeff55vDSH
09-06-2007, 05:50 AM
Harry used to live about 10 miles from me. I could tell ya some stories about him. But, I'd bet just about everyone at this site could do that as well. What kind of family tree info do you need? I could do some research if you need it.

Jeff Yungen
yungracer@sbcglobal.net

Bill Van Steenwyk
09-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Harry spelled his last name Pasturczak. He told me several times that there was much changing of spelling of his and other Polish and European names in 2nd and later generations to be more "English" sounding since they were now living in the United States. Harry did have a brother in the Quad Cities area that was still alive latest a couple of years ago. His name was Vick, and he was retired from Rock Island Arsenal. Perhaps he is listed in the phone book.
There are also numerous web sites devoted to geneology. Good Luck.

PS Harry and Marie had no children, but Vick had several. A daughter owned a resturant in a shopping area by the Rock River, and I believe he had other kids as well. I would start with the Quad Cities phone book with the spelling above.

Tim Chance
09-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Harry also had a brother Stan that passed away 20 years ago or so at age 72.

Dan M
09-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Harry also had a third brother, I think his name was Nester. He lived in southwest Wisconsin.

Dan:)

jrome
09-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Both were great guys!

ProHydroRacer
09-07-2007, 09:15 AM
Both were great guys!

I really miss the late night phone discussions with Harry.
Bill

scotti c
09-10-2007, 06:53 AM
sorry not to get back with everyone on this topic ive been finishing up the race season.
am i to understand that harry has passed ?
would like some racing info on his carrier , not sure of his past racing history .

thanks alot
scotti:)

geodavid
09-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Joe and Bill,
I really smiled when i saw that picture of Harry and his brother. Anyone who knew them will tell you that these were truly two great guys. Harry was soft spoken, a brilliant mold maker and engineer. I can remember his exhaust systems were a piece of art. However, more than his success in racing, Harry will be remembered as a person who everyone liked. A true gentleman.
Scotti, I hope you are related by marriage. I am still smiling thinking about Harry.

scotti c
09-18-2007, 07:16 AM
still huntin info on ole harry
also not to be dumb but where are the quad cites located?

thanks scotti :)

Dan M
09-18-2007, 07:43 AM
Scotti

Quad cities are on the Mississippi River at Interstate 80 on the Iowa/Illinois border. Moline, East Moline, Rock Island, and Davenport. Harry lived at 3241 E. 11th St. East Moline 61244

Good Luck,

Dan:)

Tim Chance
09-18-2007, 08:38 AM
still huntin info on ole harry
also not to be dumb but where are the quad cites located?

thanks scotti :)

The Quad Cities are:
Davenport, Iowa
Moline, Illinois
Rock Island, Illinois
East Moline, Illinois
Bettendorf, Iowa

Yes I know that is five not four, After WWII it was the Tri-Cities, Then East Moline became big enough and it became the quad-Cities, When Bettendorf grew large enough they tried Quint-Cities but it never caught on. Actually East Moline is now the smallest and has sort of been dropped from the list, everywhere except in East Moline, of course.

The area is on the Mississippi River about 175 miles Southwest of Chicago and about 250 miles due North of Saint Louis.

Harry lived in Moline.

Peter Crowley
09-25-2007, 09:39 AM
I met Harry at a USTS race back in 1988. He was a true gentleman. I was a "stock outboarder" coming over to race "alkies" as a new-comer and Harry was one of the best engine man of his time. I was surprised that he even talked to me! As a kid I remembered many of the records in the rulebook as having an engine make of "Zak-Konig". He had the ability to set-up a brand new engine that made them outstanding. Harry was clearly the man behind many of the top runners!

I had a new Yamato 250cc engine in 1989 (first reedvalve model). After I stuck it a couple of times, the engine ran terrible and I couldn't determine why. It ran well when it was cold- then ran terrible after it warmed up, but picked up if I turned the wheel- then terrible again when I went straight. I asked Harry about it and he told me to strip down the powerhead and let him have it. In no time I had it back and it ran great! The problem Harry found was the interference fit between the block and sleeve wasn't close enough to prevent water from leaking into the ports when the engine got warm. He simply pulled out the sleeves, coated them and reinstalled them. I never would have found that problem! I wasn't anyone and Harry offer to help. He sent a long letter explaining everything that he did along with all the measurements.... All I understood was that it was fixed!

Until he wasn't able to do it anymore, Harry took care of the equipment for the USTS. He was a workhorse at an age when many people didn't need to contribute.

He explained to me one time at a banquet how he started to play with engines. When he was small, before electricity came to everyplace, peoples washing machines were outside on the porch and powered with 2-stroke gasoline engines! As areas got electricity- many of the washing machines were thrown away and replaced by electric motor washing machines. Harry would go to the dump and pick-up these old washing machines and motors. He tried to put these engines on anything that he could think of. He also made money by fixing the washing machines of those in the more rural areas who were still using them. He would also experiment with some engines because he had so many and they were free! Of course when everyone got electricity he lost his little job but he was left with a wealth of knowledge about 2-stroke engines and a keen intuition concerning their design.

Harry is one person that I miss. He was a true star in outboard racing and one that has not been recognised enough.....!

Bill Van Steenwyk
09-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Peter:

Thanks for your kind words and thoughts about Harry. All who knew and were helped by him over the years feel the same. It was in EXACTLY that sprirt of "helping anyone, anytime", that the award in his name was started, and you should be doubly proud that you were the first winner of the "ZAK" award when it was presented the first year in 1994. Hope to see you in the future some time at a race.

Bill Van

Peter Crowley
09-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Bill-

It was an honor to win the Harry Pasturzak award. I won the award in the 250ccR class that year. The trophy was beautifully made by Mike Krier....

I can't over emphasize that Harry wasn't just a tinkerer... He was a proven expert who over MANY years produced some of the most powerful engines available.

I know that Harry was very much involved in your RB Hydro in the late 80's. You had won alot of races with that great rig and was very successful.

I hope to be able to go to a few USTS races next year and the PRO Nationals. My son Peter Jr is now almost 12 years old and will be running the J classes, maybe AXS and K Pro. The PRO Nationals would be an opportunity for him to see the Eldredge side of his family in action!

Thanks,
Peter Crowley

Pete Nydahl
03-21-2008, 01:00 PM
My mom took this pic of Harry at Lake Village Arkansas 1989

Master Oil Racing Team
03-21-2008, 06:36 PM
....I have seen several threads you have posted pics today. Great!:cool: I didn't have to think twice about which thread to go to thank you for the pics. The one your Mom Doris took of Harry is THE quintessential pic of Harry. It doesn't matter the sharpness. That photo captures Harry. His smile...his arms folded together...his eyes! That's Harry. You can feel that he is a little bit uncomfortable about the attention of getting his picture taken, but that he loves the person behind the lens. Harry was one of the humblest geniuses I have known.

Bill Van Steenwyk
03-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Wayne:

That is EXACTLY what I thought when I saw the picture. In no way could I have expressed it as well.

The thoughts and emotions just flooded back when I saw that picture. Takes a lot to get me emotional any more, but that did it.

Thanks Pete

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
03-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Visiting with Elmer Grade for hours of yakking in Florida I got on to the "ZACK" topic and Elmer showed me some of the work Harry did in particular to a CLass C Konig with its aluminum cast and ribbed exhaust setup that did not move so the powerband was built right into the pipes it used. I believe a collector is now restoring that engine. There were other examples of his work there as well and one project was a coop where Harry and Elmer were making up actual cylinders with water jacketing to mount on Konigs of a different stripe at one point but how many were actually equipped with their cylinder ideas I never did ask.

jeff55vDSH
03-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Wayne:

That is EXACTLY what I thought when I saw the picture. In no way could I have expressed it as well.

The thoughts and emotions just flooded back when I saw that picture. Takes a lot to get me emotional any more, but that did it.

Thanks Pete

Yes, my thoughts also. Thanks Pete N.

Michele G
04-05-2008, 07:40 AM
I remember meeting Harry at my first Nationals in Ill. My dad bought the last ZAK engine ever built for Paul, I can't remember what class it was for but I remember going into his shop and being scared to touch anything....lol