PDA

View Full Version : OMC Reunion photos

Miss BK
02-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Hi all,

I'll soon be posting my pics of the OMC "Legends" reunion from last Summer at St. Louis. They were formerly over in the S&F history section.

So I hope it's ok with you all that I move them over here? I know I have a lot more photos over there - as time goes permits I'll go back through them and bring them over if you guys want.

Here's the first --- Walt, Barry Woods, Mike Downard and Jimbo McConnell. Walt Yarborough is on the far left, Jimbo on the far right. Not sure who the two guys are between Mike and Jimbo though. Can anyone fill in the names?

Ron Hill
02-12-2005, 10:32 AM
Hi Ron,
It's been a long time. I was viewing your web site and saw a picture from OMC Reunion (2004). The two guys between Mike. D. and Jimbo are John Hervot and Harold "Mouse" Wade. Mouse is standing next to Jimbo. I think John H. came in later in the program as I was history by then.
I'm still racing in PRO=250 cc Hydro and having fun, but can't beat Chris Hellsten. DARN!

Bruce C.Summers V-71
P.S. My wife, Shirley, is a retired teacher and presently US.Title Series Chief Scorer. We're both PRO Commissioners.
Hope to hear from you.

Bruce and Ray Nydahl worked together at OMC in the 1960's...

Which one is MOUSE???? (Harold Wade)...Next to Jimbo???

racnbns
02-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Hi Ron,
"Mouse" was actually the first of the raace group in the early 60's, he and Jack Leek went to races I never heard of=Green River(out West somewhere) and others. I was at OMC and was transferred to the race group in 1965. Nydahl came on the scene about the same time. At the Parker Nine Hour Enduro and the Lake Havasu Race of 1067-68 (fuzzy memory), Mouse, Ray and I were the OMC Group.
Jack Leek was our boss and Don Henrich was usually there, but we were the Dirty Hands Guys.
Do you remember the Chicago to Milwaukee Marathon? Didn't you drive a Glastron that beat you to death.
Those were the good old days.
Bruce :D

Ron Hill
02-18-2005, 07:01 PM
Here is a picture of an OMC Pit Stop....

Ron Hill
02-20-2005, 11:34 AM
In 1966, Ted May told me OMC wanted me to drive a runabout for them at Havasu. He said Jack Leek told him to have me show up at Havasu on Thursday, Thanksgiving day, to test....

I never heard from Jack, so wasn't too sure I really had a ride...I have visions of a DeSilva with two RACING EVINRUDES on the back....When we got to Havasu, we "FOUND" the OMC Team with four boats, an OLD SWITZER WING, a 17' Style Craft , a 17' Glastron with twin evinrudes and a 16' foot Glasstron with two Johnsons...

Well, they didn't look like race boats to me. So, the first thing I lookat is the lowerunits (Now called gearcases)...expecting to see racing lowerunits....and what do I see but a "FISHING" Lowerunit...
I ask Ted, where are the RACE BOATS????

Jack Leek knows my dad and he comes down and starts talking to us... Ernie Dawe is going to Co-Drive with me. Jack introdues me to Mouse and Ray Huelett, they explain how to drive the boat and how to start the motors...Then Ray tells me where the last driver flew out of this boat and ended up in the hospital....

Mouse looks at me with big blue eyes as if to say, "I don't know why he told you that." I take a ride, boat is wild as hell and only goes about 65...Dawe takes aride, says he really doesn't know if he want to drive that MOTHER...

Fred Miller and Paul Kalb are driving the 17 footer, Bert Ross and maybe Jim Henningon are driving the Style Craft and Ted may is driving the Switzer...
Ted was overall leader after the first day....

Basically, except for Kalb and Miller, who finished fourth overall, we broke everything OMC had....But, while everyone was running around the pits like "Chickens with their heads off", Mouse just worked steady...

I next saw Mouse at Parker, 1967. Again, we busted everything that OMC had and everything in the trucks...(U-Haul rentals)...but Mouse, just worked, no yelling and screaming....just steady work)...

When I next saw Mouse was in the summer of 1967, when I won Chicago to Milwaukee Marathon....I had this date that weekend from the University of Arizona, and after I'd won the race, she confided in me, saying, "If MOuse would run off with her, she'd leave tonight."....I never told Mouse that story....but I was sure made at her!!! She said, "He has the SEXYIST EYES". I told I hadn't NOTICED...

I sort of kept an eye out around Mouse after that...

He was always MR. STEADY.....Once when Jack Leek walked into the water at Parker with his STREET SHOES my brother commented to Charlie Strang, "No intelligent decisions are made with wet feet." After that, Mouse was the one who was always wet...

1970, before Paris, Mouse is working on some gearcases at OMC Belgium, I was done testing so, I was just kind of helping....Mouse looks at me, with those blue eyes, and says, "Ron, you always break everythings...he added we've been to Paris four or five times, and we never go to Berlin because everything is broken..."

Mouse asks me to save the equipment so we can go to BERLIN...I say Mouse, "You know me..I only run these things one way." Mouse smiles....as he does know me, and he knows, unless they put washers under my gas pedal, I'll run her flat out....

We do get to Berlin as Jimbo and me won it...After the race, I put my arm around Mouse and tell him, "See...we got to Berlin."

Ain't seen Mouse for a long time...long enough I didn't recognize his picture..but in my eyes, I know many an OMC RACE WAS WON beacause Mouse had done everything right...

Here's Mouse, wrenches in back pocet, wet up to his ying yang...fixing something on Sander's rig....

Thanks, Mouse...I know OMC was not a JOB to you...you loved every minute of it!!

Michael J Gwaltney
02-22-2005, 01:24 PM
In 1966, Ted May told me OMC wanted me to drive a runabout for them at Havasu. He said Jack Leek told him to have me show up at Havasu on Thursday, Thanksgiving day, to test....
(EDIT)
Here's Mouse, wrenches in back pocet, wet up to his ying yang...fixing something on Sander's rig....
Thanks, Mouse...I know OMC was not a JOB to you...you loved every minute of it!!

You are correct Ron! Mouse was usually cool and ultimately made most decisions to techs as to just how we would fix problems. Remember the loose engines at Havasu? That's me in the white pants standing between Mouse and Jim Wagner. Michael "J" Gwaltney

Ron Hill
02-22-2005, 05:20 PM
That is you, Michael...Mouse has the black on.....

Need better glasses...Hell, just got them checked yesterday...said I could see great for man 70.....I reminded the doctor I'm 60 (SIXTY)... He said, "WELL!!"

I remember too much...Loose engines? Whos caused that? Was that when my dad smashed Jack Leek's fingers, twice???

Michael J Gwaltney
02-23-2005, 08:00 AM
Here is a picture of an OMC Pit Stop.... Was there, did that! Left to right. Jim Wagner, Michael J, Mouse Wade, Bill Travis (MN), Ray Hewlett, Bob Travis (MN), Kenny Soller, Johnnie Sanders, Tom Posey and Alan Yaw. Michael J Gwaltney

Michael J Gwaltney
02-23-2005, 09:45 AM
That is you, Michael...Mouse has the black on.....

Need better glasses...Hell, just got them checked yesterday...said I could see great for man 70.....I reminded the doctor I'm 60 (SIXTY)... He said, "WELL!!"

I remember too much...Loose engines? Whos caused that? Was that when my dad smashed Jack Leek's fingers, twice??? KR 15's had serrated transom plates and stern brackets. Plates were threaded for mounting bolts to hold them in place for easier motor height changes. During Havasu race mounting bolt washers "sucked" into transom loosing tension. The fix was to drill threads out of plates and replace them and bolts on most boats during pit stops. Not an easy task in the water and good chance for pinched fingers. Michael J Gwaltney

Master Oil Racing Team
03-02-2005, 03:10 PM
Here is a photo of Ray Nydahl

Ron Hill
03-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Great picture of the GREAT RAY NYDAHL...But who is that famous Official behind him???

Miss BK
03-03-2005, 08:16 AM
The famous official -- would that be Henry Wagner?

I think that's Henry in the background in this photo. (Silver crew cut).

Can you name the rest of the people shown here?

This was a driver's meeting at Puddingstone (Sam Dimas) CA about 1977.

T2x
03-03-2005, 11:53 AM
The famous official -- would that be Henry Wagner?

I think that's Henry in the background in this photo. (Silver crew cut).

Can you name the rest of the people shown here?

This was a driver's meeting at Puddingstone (Sam Dimas) CA about 1977.

Well...... let's see

I see Janis Joplin on the right

and isn't that Gregg Allman on the left?

T2x :p

WharfRat
03-03-2005, 12:09 PM
:D :D :D

ROFLMAO

now THAT was a good one T2 !!!!

Miss BK
03-03-2005, 12:11 PM
I'll give you one little hint: Brett May is in this picture somewhere :)

Now who are the other fairly famous people?

Even the kid with the skateboard was somewhat of a legend back then. ;)

Ron Hill
03-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Mercury Power shirt, is Brett May..

Long haired dude to the left is Doug Martin. Skateboard kid is Scott Davidson...who won 15 SS Hydro at Wakefield...the year Julie Seaman won ASH...

The guy with the yellow knee pads is Mark Lister?

Is the guy in the blue shirt, Joe Johnson???

FYI: Henry Wager was from Fresno, he inspected motors at many a Havasu Race, he was well liked and respected on the west coast.

Brett May's father was George May, Referee at many a Parker 9 Hour and Havasu Classic...Bret May may own Mayfair Steering in Florida...

Miss BK
03-03-2005, 01:05 PM
ooh. That Mark Lister was a HOTTIE, wasn't he? I've got a picture of his shoulders, err, I mean his photo somewhere around here.

But the guy in this picuture with the yellow kneepads is another hottie, and a member of this board: Mike Nordskog

Ron, you got many of them right! But you missed your own cousin. That's not JJ, but I do have a pic of JJ in 1977 - I think he was about 14 then. He'll probably kill me, but I'll post them anyway. Later. ;)

The guy in the blue shirt is Ron Hill's hyrdo-driving cousin: John Heggenberger

The other people in this picture on the far right is Ed Crumly. (Bob Crumly is hiding behind the girl and ducked just as I clicked)

I am not so sure who the guy in the red hat is - but I'm thinking Mike Johnson?

T2x
03-03-2005, 01:28 PM
I'll give you one little hint: Brett May is in this picture somewhere :)

Now who are the other fairly famous people?

Even the kid with the skateboard was somewhat of a legend back then. ;)

The real question is......What is going on behind Janis Joplin?????

T2x

Ron Hill
03-03-2005, 01:42 PM
Are you sure that guy that you said was Wagner isn't Bill Crumly? If this is Puddingstone, Wag never officiated in Region 12, except at Havasu.

carl lewis
03-09-2005, 10:27 AM
well here's my guess here..
that sure looks like Mr Crumly in the back area of the photo. as to the guy right of Janis I think it is Wayne Seeberg. and the dude who Val thinks is Marc Lister is way to small (in height and girth) to be him.
I did not attend very many region 12 races back in the day mainly region 10 and 11, but did hit all the bakersfield races and a few others with Alan Ishii, some place in the middle of nowhere.. brawley maybe.. its been years though now.
Speaking of Janis this does look a little like Robin Mayer, what do you think???

hey ron, start a thread about bakersfield memories as I have a few I can post there
Regards,
carl 94-R

Miss BK
03-09-2005, 11:20 AM
The guy with the kneepads is not Mark Lister - that's Mike Nordskog.

Ron guessed it was Mark but he was wrong. But he got Brett May correct (Mercury Power shirt).

But I do now think that is Mr. Crumly in the background, and not Henry Wagner. And I think the guy next to Janis is also a Crumly (Was there an "Ed" Crumly??? Because that's the name my memory keeps coming up with)

I also have quite a few photos around here of Alan Ishi. Just have to find time to scan them. :)

I have some Brawley ones too ;)

Fred Hauenstein
03-17-2005, 02:32 PM
I'm sure that is the late Henry Wagner in the picture with Ray Nydahl, who drove PRO boats. Looks like a PRO trophy presentation somewhere - most likely De Pue - and Henry would have been involved. Also looks like ancient history - a PRO driver getting a trophy and cash prize money!!!!!

My two bits.

Fred

Ron Hill
03-18-2005, 12:00 PM
When is the last time you saw pine trees in DePue??

Even Eric Huhn said, "Scott Davidson never raced at DePue"....

You want to borrow my glasses...That picture is at Puddingstone....

Nydahl????? Nydalh...they never let him out of Wisconsin after he quit OMC!!!!

My two cents...

Fast Add: Are you considered an OMC legend????

Fred Hauenstein
03-18-2005, 12:47 PM
I know the latter pcture is Puddingstone. I'm not that blind.

I get the invitations, and attend, the OMC Legends reunions, don't you?

Ron Hill
03-18-2005, 01:00 PM
Ok, that is Henry and Ray..

We had been discussing Puddingstone....I thought the gray haired guy was Crumly, some thought it was Henry.

When you going to dig out some more Hauenstin Family Pictures????

Yes, I get invites...I even paid for dinner (s)....., but no I haven't gone to any of them.

Fred Hauenstein
03-18-2005, 01:28 PM
The reunions are a lot of fun. Lots of old stories, and if you aren't there to defend yourself, well......

I will try some more pictures one of these days. I'm sort of clueless on posting, however.

I thought the interesting part of the Ray and Henry picture was the cash he held in the other hand. Real prize money!

See you one of these days?

Fred

Miss BK
03-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Fred Hauenstein wrote: I get the invitations, and attend, the OMC Legends reunions, don't you?

But Fred, why don't you wear the special white hat like everyone else does? :D ;)

LOL ...just kidding.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-18-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm sure that is the late Henry Wagner in the picture with Ray Nydahl, who drove PRO boats. Looks like a PRO trophy presentation somewhere - most likely De Pue - and Henry would have been involved. Also looks like ancient history - a PRO driver getting a trophy and cash prize money!!!!!

My two bits.

Fred

You're absolutely right Fred. He was looking down & so the crew cut didn't show to well. BTW it was the 1978 PRO Nationals in San Antonio.

And, as Paul Harvey would say....Here's the rest of the story. Maybe they cut back on trophy's & money about this time. Seems I never got my 700cc Hydro National Walnut America to hang on the wall. The guy on the left is is one of the pit crew with my local trophy. (I've got some photos of the guy in the middle of him & his dad if someone will tell him to get on BRF).

Another shot of Henry Wagner in his cool T-Shirt with the name of his sponsor, the poodle. No..., as some may have thought, it has nothing to do with his being a referee.

Michael J Gwaltney
04-09-2005, 07:46 PM
But Fred, why don't you wear the special white hat like everyone else does? :D ;)

LOL ...just kidding.
I passed out a few caps at St. Louis Race Party hosted by Billy Seebold and Fred had it on all night. Wish there was a video of response when Jimbo was introduced by Billy. Excellent party, many thanks to Billy for welcoming the OMC Racing Legends Reunion group. Michael J. Gwaltney, Chairman

Jimbo Boat 191
04-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Hi All of you----
Isn't the guy in upper left-----red hat-----Ronnie's
twin brother---Jay Root??????? :D

Maybe Elvis---- ???

mercguy
04-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Hi All of you----
Isn't the guy in upper left-----red hat-----Ronnie's
twin brother---Jay Root??????? :D

hey Jimbo, are you keeping my boats clean over there? Are they still on top of Gary's trailer??????? I am working on my trailer now .........finally........

remember.....I still owe you one for that "bomb" you layed on me in Ocoee!!! ;)

Jimbo Boat 191
04-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Hmmmmmm------Mercguy----

Yes, the boats were still on top of Gary's trailer.........
did you hear about our huge wind storm early
Saturday-------70 mph winds...........hmmmmmmm
The good thing about this whole
thing...........winds were about 60 mph faster
than your boat is normally.......although it looked pretty
fast early Saturday morning !!!! :D
Maybe we should consider using the street
for one of our future races??? What do
you think--------checkered flag at the
corner of Gary's house......................

Ron Hill
04-10-2005, 07:18 PM
That guy in the red hat at Puddingstone is NOT Jay Root.

Jay quit racing after the Dayton, Ohio Inboard Nationals in like 1984.

Twin Brother Jay, had dark hair like my brother Russ, but I was always better looking than JAY.

Jay Root had been an outboarder all his life, how he ended up with Ted May's Scotti (V-4 boat), I never heard the reason...Jay, had worked for the OMC Race Team, as an engine builder, in about 1968-69. But came back to California to teach at a Junior College in San Diego, where he still is, I think...

Jay took Ted's old Scotti and installed a Mercruiser and a Speedmaster from an In-line Six, and a 4 banger Chevy II motor and raced in 150 Hydro Class...Jay was an outboarder and his "Car Engine" was straight from a wrecking yard. At the Castaic Nationals, he ran like third or fourth...I thought he could have won, but had trouble early. He went to Dayton, the next year and if he didn't win, he scared the hell out of all the inboard hydros east of California...

That winter, the APBA INBOARD COMISSION, passed a rule that no "EXPENSIVE" sterndrives would be legal in inboard hydros...The "JAY ROOT RULE", as it was called by those who know...worked.

The rule worked very well, Jay QUIT RACING, never to come to another race, that I knew of, after being a family racer for 40 years...and the inboard Division didn't have to worry about sterndrives being "EXPENSIVE"....(Except, a 150 in any hydro cost more to build than Jay Root had in the whole rig, including the trailer and at the time there were hundreds of old Molinari and Scotti hulls in the USA....)...

Was Jay Root invited to the OMC Reunion? He worked there , on the race team for maybe two years....

Ron Hill
04-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Those winds didn't blow those two houses down that are obstructing your view of the fairway did they???

The second house is my daughter and she didn't know where you guys lived when they bought it...So, quit being so mean to me...It's not my fault they buit those houses there....

You can always come over to Jess and matt's to watch that fairway.....(FYI: One house may block Jimbo's and cathy's view, a little, but they still have a great view of the golf coarst!

I got sic more shirts printed that say Needles Country Club...Here's PRETTY ONE...Maybe, I'll let Jimbo wear it!!!

ADD: Cathy, we're going to buy that lot next door to you from Faye, and build the COUNTRY CLUB right there!!!! LOL!!

Jimbo Boat 191
04-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Nice Shirt-----might as well build next to me--------as of last Monday,
I am no longer running the BEER CART at the golf course.......long
story :(

Actually, those two houses don't bother my view........my neighbors
two doors down are the ones impacted. You might as well buy Fayes
lot.......next to us.......at least you would have GOOD neighbors.......
at least the lady next door to you would be nice!!! :)

If you guys bought that lot, Barb and I would have to keep you
and Jimbo in JAIL.........you two would ALWAYS be in trouble!!!!!
Neither one of you are totally trained after all these years!!! :D

I don't think Jay Root was included with the reunion, check with
Michael J..........he probably did not have an address..............

As for the wind and it's impact on the houses------it was truly
a weird sight when I looked out at 1:00 a.m. across the golf course
and I could only see what looked like a large box flying through the
air with something that looked like a Dawe Craft hydro trailing behind
it..............still not sure what I saw, but they are both in a BIG pile
over by the railroad yards................. :eek:

Jay and Christine Root
09-16-2005, 08:32 PM
;) I've retired and relocated from San Diego to Fair Oaks (Sacramento) area. Sorry to have missed the OMC reunion. Who was there?

You're right - I've never raced boats again. My wife and I are racing Modified Midgets (600 Multis). When I retired (2003) we spent four months racing all over the United States. We were in St. Louis for the Grand Prix. There were a few "old" outboards on display. Sure brought back a lot of memories as did this web page.

RichardKCMo
09-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Sure liked to watch you and Doc Roach in Mission Bay, and later popeyes,or what ever that red tunnel was.
RichardKCMo, by way of San Diego.

Jay and Christine Root
09-18-2005, 07:41 PM
It was great racing on San Diego Bay!!!

The red tunnel was Pioneer Chicken.

Thanks for the comments!!

Fast Fred
09-19-2005, 07:22 AM
how could i find mr. Ray Nydahl , lookin for an exhaust block he made for the 49 omc :cool:
thanks

Ron Hill
09-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Thnks for joining..Please "DIG OUT" some of your pictures and stories...Your family's history goes back just about as far as mine...maybe, longer...

Drove by the SAn Diego flood control channel this weekend, did my best not to cry...man that was a perfect place on kneeldown racing.....I still tested there as late as 1977....Bunker and I tested there every weekend the winter of 76-77...We had some great races and good times at the Flood Control Channel!!!

Miss BK
09-19-2005, 10:58 AM
how could i find mr. Ray Nydahl , lookin for an exhaust block he made for the 49 omc :cool:
thanks

Fred,
Sorry to break the news, but Ray Nydahl passed away quite a few years ago. His son Pete Nydahl is a member of this board and maybe he can help you out?

Fast Fred
09-19-2005, 11:17 AM
ya, i was thinkin thats how it would go. :(
thanks

Miss BK
09-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Go here and send a note to Pete - maybe he knows where to find one:

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7757#post7757

Fast Fred
09-19-2005, 12:12 PM
:cool: :eek: :cool:

racnbns
09-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Hi Jay:
Maybe you'll remember this. About 1970 or 71 you drove John T's two man runabout and somehow I got tabbed as deckrider. We were on the backstretch on the 5 minute gun at full speed when the boat did some strange movements. I thought you were moving the wheel back and forth trying to test this rookie deck rider. We came to the turn, I flounder out on the deck, we exit the turn and the next thing I know it's hard left, the boats on it,s stbd. chine and we're both in the water. I guess that was the real test.
It was a Ball and I'd do it all over again.

Bruce Summers
V-71

Ron Hill
09-19-2005, 02:31 PM
My sister's first husband...well, she only had two and she's 74....Anyway, her husband liked them F Runabouts and wanted to ride deck.

He got on the deck and when the SUCKER FIRED he never got off the deck....They talk about "STINKY THE PLUMPER'S CLEAVAGE", well the driver, George Peak, tried to get my brother-in-law back in the cockpit, he wouldn't move, George finally pulled his pants off. They ran the whole first heat with my brother-in-laws pants around his ankles...He never rode deck again...

Probably, Bruce, Jay got you to ride because you knew Jay from working at OMC........Now, the rest of us knew better than to ride with JAY..LOL.....Jay was OK..Hell, somewhere here we've got a picture of Freddy hauesntein on deck with JAY...

Ernie Dawe and I were the first to ever run "PIGGY BACK" Like most F's (1,100 CC Runabouts_...know)..But Ernie was smart...He only rode with me once, too!!!!

Here's Clark Maloof with me (Riding "Piggy Back")...It was after this season that they passed a rule that said, "F's had to be bigger than D's"...See, I won every race that year with two in man D Runabout...Seemed like a good idea to me...The guys with the F Motors didn't like it and changed the rule!!!...

Kind of like when Jay Root fiigured out how to make a tunnel run faster than the hydros...Simple solution, right Jay??? Change the rule, kick the guy out and he can't beat you anymore...Sort like our laws, you know, "Make a billion, go to jail."

Of course, I never bought an F and Jay never bought a hydro....But we didn't win anymore...either....

Kind of like the time my brother won F hydro in Phoenix and when he went to get the prize money he got 5th place money...They paid the four F hydros first, then my brother with the C....

I once raced The Regatta of Champions at Long Beach. Pat Murphy thought I rough drove him.... and he complained. So, the officials disqualified me to first OUTBOARD and Pat to Second Outboard......We had been second and third...ended of 6th and 7th...

A country does better when they follow the rule of law...

Well, who knows....

Master Oil Racing Team
09-19-2005, 08:10 PM
Bruce--Wasn't Jay's runabout the West Coast style with the real wide cockpits and handles on the deck? First time I saw one of those was in Needles California. In fact, it was the first time I saw two men (no I think Rachael Van Hyfte rode deck too) in a runabout. Those guys were hanging out on the deck in turns like you were talking about. In NOA and LSBRA there was no two man F runabout. It's a great class.

racnbns
09-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Wayne:
Right on. Those old side by side cockpits were so wide you could have a party their. I made the mistake of bracing myself by putting my foot on the transom one time. You could feel the transom flexing about an inch or so. Thats something I didn't need to know. That boat of mine in the pic. was a 13 ft. Warren that I cut in half and redid. We had a 14 ft. min. length at the time. I ran my C looper on that boat and got High Point in CRR for 1973. That is the only National title I've had. Close this year at DePue except for one BOUY!
Bruce Summers
V-71

bill boyes
09-20-2005, 02:34 PM
My sister's first husband...well, she only had two and she's 74....Anyway, her husband liked them F Runabouts and wanted to ride deck.

He got on the deck and when the SUCKER FIRED he never got off the deck....They talk about "STINKY THE PUMPER'S CLEAVAGE", well the driver, George Peak, tried to get my brother-in-law back in the cockpit, he wouldn't move, George finally pulled his pants off. They ran the whole first heat with my brother-in-laws pants around his ankles...He never rode deck again...

Probably, Bruce, Jay got you to ride becasue you knew Jay from working at OMC........Now, the rest of us knew better than to ride with JAY..LOL.....Jay was OK..Hell, somewhere here we've got a picture of Freddy hauesntein on deck with JAY...

Ernie Dawe and I were the first to ever run "PIGGY BACK" Like most F's (1,100 CC Runabouts_...know)..But Ernie was smart...He only rode with me once, too!!!!

Here's Clark Maloof with me (Riding "Piggy Back")...It was after this season that they passed a rule that said, "F's had to be bigger than D's"...See, I won every race that year with two in man D Runabout...Seemed like a good idea to me...The guys with the F Motors didn't like it and changed the rule!!!...

Kind of like when Jay Root fiigured out how to make a tunnel run faster than the hydros...Simple solution, right Jay??? Change the rule, kick the guy out and he can't beat you anymore...Sort like our laws, you know, "Make a billion, go to jail."

Of course, I never bought an F and Jay never bought a hydro....But we didn't win anymore...either....

Kind of like the time my brother won F hydro in Phoenix and when he went to get the prize money he got 5th place money...They paid the four F hydros first, then my brother with the C....

I once raced The Regatta of Champions at Long Beach. Pat Murphy thought I rough drove him.... and he complained. So, the officials disqualified me to first OUTBOARD and Pat to Second Outboard......We had been second and third...ended of 6th and 7th...

A country does better when they follow the rule of law...

Well, who knows....Ron, there you go again taking credit for the piggy back ride. fact is Harry Bartolomei and I were the first. At Havasu landing. Harry had a new 44 merc Quincy. He had a 13' Desilva C/D runabout and wanted to race the "Fs" and George May. We did some testing and were in the 80+ mpr range with us trying to rang on side by side. Well just could not hang on and came close to falling out or better yet falling off the deck. We discussed this and then we tried with me behind Harry. It worked and we Blew off the 460's and the side by side boats. The rest is history. When this happened you were still in Stocks. Harry had the only Merc in the F class. Later we won the Nationals in F runabout at Bakersfield. Guess I will have to call Harry and Ralph Desilva to confirm this with you. You did not have a 1100 till years later.

Ron Hill
09-20-2005, 04:30 PM
Harry and Rucker had the major "WRECK" at Modesto, May 30th, 1962....or around that weekend.

Havasu Springs Regatta was after the 1962 Nationals...(Stock Nationals in Guntersville)...

Havasu Spring is where George May with Jimbo up top, crashed with Bob Marvick, leaving Bob in a wheel chair...or with a walker...

Seems to me, Ernie and I had raced F Runabout, in the FALL of 1961, at Bakersfield...I borrowed Rus Edmissions 44 that he ran is COBRA and we put it on my MArathon DU....that had a retractable fin, though, we never used it when we ran F as I was way too busy trying to drive....That "SUCKER" had torque on the wheel....I'd grab a handful to turn and the wheel would straighten itself out... Scared Dawe and me clear to death...

Trouble was about four of them were ahead of us and about 7 behind, we didn't know which way to go. So, we just kept racing...

As I recall that race, George May won, with the same boat kind of a floater thing, not a DeSilva, but it was the same boat the George piled up at Havasu Springs...

I remember well running my 7 X 10 3/4 Cary DU wheel...thinking I was glad I didn't use my brother's D Hydro wheel, as we were going too damn fast as it was to slow down for the corners...I did race F Runabout again, but never in that boat...

Starflite
01-17-2008, 08:31 PM
I used to have a crush on Mouse when I was little. I also had one on Don Henrich. What a little pest I was...